Politics in Sport

7 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Its using the @' symbol to notify a poster that you are referencing them. 

Example: Wow, @HamSandwhich has been talking ***** about me all day. 

Tagging a person notifies them so its no surprise when you open a new thread and see pages of disparaging comments about yourself.  

I’ve only been explaining my position. I’m sure you’re a stand up dude in real life. 

8 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You mean: 

"We wouldn’t have a country without France 🇫🇷."

😆

Ok, we would not have a sustained country that has lasted this long without a military. How’s that? 

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

What? Where have I tried to make you look like a racist? I haven't claimed that singing an anthem is racist. It is, however, political. The whole concept of national pride is a political concept just as much as the concept of racial equality or gender equality or anything else. Just because something has been culturally embedded for longer doesn't stop it being political. 

I said I wasn’t going to guess your motivation, I don’t know what it was particularly and will never know. I can’t get into your mind. I take you at your word you weren’t trying to paint me as a derogatory word. You seem like a good person. 

2 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

I’ve only been explaining my position. I’m sure you’re a stand up dude in real life. 

Ok, we would not have a sustained country that has lasted this long without a military. How’s that? 

Yeah... That's every country.  We shouldn't have to be guilted into paying homage, tribute at every turn. 

"Great countries have their heros, it's the sad countries that need them."

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... That's every country.  We shouldn't have to be guilted into paying homage, tribute at every turn. 

"Great countries have their heros, it's the sad countries that need them."

Who said that? I think it’s odd you feel guilted, why? 

5 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

Who said that? I think it’s odd you feel guilted, why? 

You just tried to make me... "We wouldn't have a country without our military."

That's a major guilt trip your playing. I don't  feel guilty... But some would.

Why are you laying on a guilt trip?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You just tried to make me... "We wouldn't have a country without our military."

That's a major guilt trip your playing. I don't  feel guilty... But some would.

Why are you laying on a guilt trip?

Lol I didn’t realize I was laying a guilt trip, certainly not my intention. I chose to honor those who would be willing to lay down their lives for our country. That’s me. I do t think that’s political, that appropriate reverence for those who choose to do that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, HamSandwhich said:

Lol I didn’t realize I was laying a guilt trip, certainly not my intention. I chose to honor those who would be willing to lay down their lives for our country. That’s me. I do t think that’s political, that appropriate reverence for those who choose to do that.

🤔

5 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

There's a time and place.  It's Memorial Day & 11/11... Not brainwashing every Sunday.  That's what bootcamp is for. 😉 😜 

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

🤔

What’s confusing? 

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

There's a time and place.  It's Memorial Day & 11/11... Not brainwashing every Sunday.  That's what bootcamp is for. 😉 😜 

Ok, that’s your opinion, we can agree to disagree. 

51 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

OH yes it was!

It was co-opted by right.  

Do. Not.

This could be an interesting conversation and if you foul it up by bringing this garbage into it again, I am going to punt you out an airlock.

Edit:

And now that I've breached the fourth wall, know that message was also intended for anybody else who cant help themselves.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I am sorry but you are wrong. 

The reason you don't see military flyovers or salute to service as political is because it fits with your perception of conventional. It is only when things shake that perception that people see the politics. 

A more appropriate response would have been that you THINK that he is wrong.

Newsflash: People can disagree with your opinionated, vague declarations and not be "wrong" just because you think that they are.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

A more appropriate response would have been that you THINK that he is wrong.

Newsflash: People can disagree with your opinionated, vague declarations and not be "wrong" just because you think that they are.

I think it’s incumbent on reasonable people to infer “I think…” was the unwritten or unspoken part of a declaration like the one GB made. It really doesn’t even matter if he would object to that thought process, I’m only responsible for me here. 

I acknowledged that I understood people might see things differently partly because of the art of civility, partly because it’s obvious people will.  

AC103815-81E8-4EDD-80E1-732C9FC16DE8.jpeg

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

It is only cultural now because it is embedded. It started as political. And something doesn't have to be partisan to be political. Doesn't have to be about red or blue. It is about the causes that the league chooses to support and promote. 

As for the military academies? No. There is a reason why there is a load of military at those games. There isn't a reason for them to be at NFL games beyond the league making a political statement about its support for the military.

There is absolutely no doubt that they are political statements. You don't see them as such because they fit your view of what football should be, but they are overtly political. 

They do not fit my political viewpoint.

Do I think the flyover is political? No.

Would I be upset if they did away with the flyover? No.

I think the playing of the national anthem is a neat tradition. If they were to do away with it, I would miss it, but it wouldn't anger me.

As for the other political/cultural statements that are being brought forth today, I could be more accepting of them, if I only knew the reasons behind them. There is no definitive answer for them, and it appears that no one wants to give a simple explanation for them.

Is an explanation too much to ask for?

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

I think it's pretty easy to argue that NFL military appreciation week is 'political' or politically affiliated. The league has no real reason to align themselves with the military, unlike the Army-Navy game which is played by actual military academies and personnel.

I can accept this answer.

It probably is political, in a certain way.

Is the NFL benefitting financially for military appreciation week, or any other appreciation week that they do? If so, then there's the answer. In the end it's all about money.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I never saw political slogans written on the field when I was a kid.

Ignorance is bliss.   Protests in American Sports

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

That's more cultural than political.

If a flyover had signs that said, "Vote for this candidate", then it would be political.

Would you consider the Army-Navy Game or any other sport amongst the military academies to be political statements?

Actually the first fly over took place in 1918 (during WW I) but didn't become widespread until after the 9/11 attacks.

Playing the Star Spangled Banner before sporting and other events dates back to the Civil War.  History of the Star Spangled Banner

4 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

What I do not like is the messaging. It comes off in a very strange and confusing way.

The NFL has the players place all of these slogans on the back of their helmets, or they place in the back of the end zones.

"IT TAKES ALL OF US". What does that mean?

This makes it sound as if the NFL forces the players to put the slogans on the back of their helmets. However, this is not the case; it is up to the individual player. Just watch the huddle in games of this season. Some players have slogans, others have the team name.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Ignorance is bliss.   Protests in American Sports

Actually the first fly over took place in 1918 (during WW I) but didn't become widespread until after the 9/11 attacks.

Playing the Star Spangled Banner before sporting and other events dates back to the Civil War.  History of the Star Spangled Banner

Apparently you need to listen to yourself.

I'll rephrase what I said before. I never saw political slogans on the field as a kid at a sporting event IN PERSON.

Your examples do nothing to change that, all of those protests are not the exact same thing.

I was born in 1973.

• Dislike 1