All-22 Grades for Bills/Falcons (The Athletic)

HappyDays

https://theathletic.com/3053043/2022/01/05/the-bills-have-found-their-optimal-starting-o-line-all-22-film-review?source=user-shared-article

1. The Bills have finally found their optimal starting O-line

Although you have to account for the quality of the opponent, it’s difficult to ignore just how good the Bills’ offensive line was against the Falcons. The collective effort was one of the best we’ve seen all season.

Pass blocking has long been the Bills’ strength, but they allowed only three pressures all game on 31 dropbacks.

Bills left tackle Dion Dawkins was once again one of the best players on the field. Even though he was responsible for one of the three pressures, it was his only lapse. The rest of the time, Dawkins dominated defenders with good footwork, a powerful punch to get them on the ground and nearly completely control the defender.

At right tackle, Spencer Brown struggled the most of the bunch. In the first half, he missed block attempts and allowed a pair of pressures. However, Brown turned it around in the second half and was one of the Bills’ best over the final 30 minutes.

3. Tremaine Edmunds shows some early-career tendencies

Although middle linebacker Tremaine Edmunds has been a good starter for the Bills this season, he showed some early-career struggles against the Falcons that hadn’t been nearly as prevalent this season. It boiled down to difficulties in two areas: decisiveness and physicality. In run defending, Edmunds had a handful of opportunities where he should have gotten downhill, rushed the gap and gone for the tackle at or behind the line of scrimmage. Instead, he was hesitant and played it safe. 

He was pushed back on some block attempts where he needed to hold the point of attack. Even when he made the correct read and had an opportunity to make a tackle at the line, he let the ball carrier spin out and get a couple of yards.

4. Devin Singletary maximized every opportunity

The run blocking was better than usual, but it still didn’t give Singletary massive rushing lanes to become the impact player he was on Sunday.

Instead, Singletary created for himself, made defenders miss, pushed through contact and was excellent in all of his rushing decisions — even behind some muddy rushing lanes. The decision-making was the most impressive part because one wrong turn on a handful of attempts could have resulted in a negative play. Instead, he made the most of every opportunity.

5. The gap between starting and rotational DTs is widening

As impressive as Ed Oliver and Harrison Phillips were on Sunday and over the last two months, it’s also providing a pretty large drop-off when they aren’t on the field.

The Bills used Lotulelei and Ankou on the field together for nine total snaps, and on those nine plays, the Falcons averaged 9.7 yards per play. On passing plays, the Falcons completed all four of their attempts for 51 yards, and a big reason was the Bills’ lack of pressure on quarterback Matt Ryan. Conversely, on 25 snaps that featured Oliver next to Phillips, the Falcons averaged only 2.04 yards per play. The Falcons were sacked four times on 14 passing plays against Oliver and Phillips and only went 5 of 10 for 42 yards.

Top 5 grades:

1) Dawkins (A-)

2) Oliver (A-)

3) Morse (A-)

4) Singletary (A-)

5) Phillips (B+)

Bottom 5 grades (worst to 5th worst)

1) Hughes (D+)

2) Edmunds (D+)

3) Jackson (C)

4) Ankou (C+)

5) Wallace (C+)

Edited by HappyDays
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I never thought Hughes would be so invisible.  I've read about his pressure "rating" and other articles saying hes doing something but I have to say when I watch any video I just don't see him showing up at all.  Even the young guys have a splash play here or there.

3 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

I never thought Hughes would be so invisible.  I've read about his pressure "rating" and other articles saying hes doing something but I have to say when I watch any video I just don't see him showing up at all.  Even the young guys have a splash play here or there.

Hughes will provide some valuable cap space in 2022...

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

A week where I agree with most of what Joe identifies. Especially the drop off from Harrison and Ed to our other DTs.

Yeah.......this was a big problem the week before........as I said then,  when Butler and Ankou were on the field the pocket was a "passer's paradise".

Was hoping Lotulelei would return and provide some of that early season pass rush but oh-hell-no.

They really can't afford to have Oliver and Phillips off the field for 35% of the snaps or more unless Lotulelei returns to his briefly impactful early season form and then maybe they can afford to put Obada in for some snaps next to him.     

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Maine-iac said:

While I didn't see the whole game if you watch the NFL highlights Hughes seems to be mostly rushing way up field taking himself out of the play and opening a window for the QB to run (not that Ryan can run) or easily throw through, or taking a big inside move essentially doing the same thing. I know he's a fan favorite but I just don't see it. Perhaps the Bills prefer not to use elaborate stunts with their linemen that frankly seem effective against them, but as he plays now IMHO his basic move takes him out of the play too much

1 hour ago, Maine-iac said:

He drew a holding call for the first time in his career this season that’s pretty big news 😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah.......this was a big problem the week before........as I said then,  when Butler and Ankou were on the field the pocket was a "passer's paradise".

Was hoping Lotulelei would return and provide some of that early season pass rush but oh-hell-no.

They really can't afford to have Oliver and Phillips off the field for 35% of the snaps or more unless Lotulelei returns to his briefly impactful early season form and then maybe they can afford to put Obada in for some snaps next to him.     

Depends on opponent as well I think. Obada was on skates trying to play inside against the Colts and New England. If they play the Chargers or the Raiders though then I expect to see much more of that alignment. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Losing Zimmer for the year has been more impactful than expected.

It has and I say that as someone who still thinks he is really an under talented try hard. But him trying his ass off every week it turns out is much more effective than more talented players who are half assing it.

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Depends on opponent as well I think. Obada was on skates trying to play inside against the Colts and New England. If they play the Chargers or the Raiders though then I expect to see much more of that alignment. 

It has and I say that as someone who still thinks he is really an under talented try hard. But him trying his ass off every week it turns out is much more effective than more talented players who are half assing it.

Obada is a terrible run defender no matter where he plays.........we've found out exactly why he was available so cheap despite some decent pass rush numbers in Carolina.     But he can rush the passer some.    Ankou has been turrible.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, eee1776 said:

Hughes,  Star and Butler are just empty suites. If I have to say somthing about McD is that he hangs onto Players to long. Still waiting for Edmonds  to figure it out. Maybe trying to hard?.

Edumonds has a good amount of positive games. I think people on here overhate on him. Yes he had a bad game against Atlanta but he has also had a lot of better performances this season. As far as Hughes he was coming off of a productive 2020 and is a locker room leader. It made sense to bring him back for one more season. Star played really well in the early part of the season. He looked like the lost weight was helping him but then he got Covid and banged up and he has not been the same. Butler has been a non-factor all season in my opinion one of the worst signings of the McD era. 

• Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Edumonds has a good amount of positive games. I think people on here overhate on him. Yes he had a bad game against Atlanta but he has also had a lot of better performances this season. As far as Hughes he was coming off of a productive 2020 and is a locker room leader. It made sense to bring him back for one more season. Star played really well in the early part of the season. He looked like the lost weight was helping him but then he got Covid and banged up and he has not been the same. Butler has been a non-factor all season in my opinion one of the worst signings of the McD era. 

Stoppppp being an Edmunds apologist.  He is never going to be great or even very good playing NFL LB.  He is just not physical enuf, and has no instincts for the position.  Watch Fred Warner play LB for the 49ers.  That is how a LB should be playing the game of football.  I wish Tremaine would get a whole lot better.  But the game just does not come natural for him.  Just one fan's opinion.  But dam I hope we cut bait w him after the season.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, eee1776 said:

Hughes,  Star and Butler are just empty suites. If I have to say somthing about McD is that he hangs onto Players to long. Still waiting for Edmonds  to figure it out. Maybe trying to hard?.

I know.

Nothing but crap players on this defense that is #1 by a large margin in terms of yards allowed, #2 in terms of points allowed, and #3 in defensive DVOA, which is adjusted for quality of opponents.

They really just need to blow up this defense because the players suck so bad.

52 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Stoppppp being an Edmunds apologist.  He is never going to be great or even very good playing NFL LB.  He is just not physical enuf, and has no instincts for the position.  Watch Fred Warner play LB for the 49ers.  That is how a LB should be playing the game of football.  I wish Tremaine would get a whole lot better.  But the game just does not come natural for him.  Just one fan's opinion.  But dam I hope we cut bait w him after the season.  

It's a shame indeed that apologists, who could also be called people who talk sense to wackazoids, are needed.

But the bottom line is that for whatever reason a group of total nutballs have latched onto Edmunds as their whipping boy. It makes no sense, but that's the reason that sensible opinions are needed.

He's a very good player. Not elite, but very good. The Bills love him. It's why they took up his 5th year option. It's why he's captain. But yeah, this group of frothing fans aren't worried about making sense. These fans are looking for a guy with a specific style, which Edmunds does not have.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, eee1776 said:

Edmunds is about to hit his 5th year option we haven’t re-signed him yet.  Plus I’m sure happy McDermott hung on to harrison Phillips for too long 😂

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I know.

Nothing but crap players on this defense that is #1 by a large margin in terms of yards allowed, #2 in terms of points allowed, and #3 in defensive DVOA, which is adjusted for quality of opponents.

They really just need to blow up this defense because the players suck so bad.

It's a shame indeed that apologists, who could also be called people who talk sense to wackazoids, are needed.

But the bottom line is that for whatever reason a group of total nutballs have latched onto Edmunds as their whipping boy. It makes no sense, but that's the reason that sensible opinions are needed.

He's a very good player. Not elite, but very good. The Bills love him. It's why they took up his 5th year option. It's why he's captain. But yeah, this group of frothing fans aren't worried about making sense. These fans are looking for a guy with a specific style, which Edmunds does not have.

Right. I never stop wondering how this defense can be so good with so many bad players, including MLB who according to some lacks everything to play the position and is a pure liability.

To be clear, I don't pretend that I am capable of objectively judge his play but it seems quite clear that this coaching staff has significantly different opinion on TE than most fans here.

I am already looking forward 100 pages long thread when we re-sign him.

Edited by No_Matter_What

6 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Right. I never stop wondering how this defense can be so good with so many bad players, including MLB who according to some lacks everything to play the position and is a pure liability.

To be clear, I don't pretend that I am capable of objectively judge his play but it seems quite clear that this coaching staff has significantly different opinion on TE than most fans here.

Playing linebacker in this scheme would be super tough for anyone.  I don’t think the fans are as understanding of that as the coaching staff is.  

37 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

And you shouldn't forget with the most conservative defensive coordinator in the world who should be fired 'cos something about sack numbers.....

12 hours ago, HappyDays said:

https://theathletic.com/3053043/2022/01/05/the-bills-have-found-their-optimal-starting-o-line-all-22-film-review?source=user-shared-article

Top 5 grades:

1) Dawkins (A-)

2) Oliver (A-)

3) Morse (A-)

4) Singletary (A-)

5) Phillips (B+)

Bottom 5 grades (worst to 5th worst)

1) Hughes (D+)

2) Edmunds (D+)

3) Jackson (C)

4) Ankou (C+)

5) Wallace (C+)

Edmunds shows up under bad games a bunch wonder if he’s the bills worst graded starting defender over the course of the season 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.