A Few Thoughts about the Falcons Game, in no particular order

Virgil

15 hours ago, Virgil said:

I've played Madden for about 20 years now and I'd like to think I'm pretty good at it.  I was ranked in the top 5% for a bit and really have the most fun when I'm playing someone who knows football.  It can be easy at times when you play someone who only runs the same plays over and over again, but can't adjust to anything else.  Sometimes, I will even mess around and try new plays when I'm up against someone who I can tell isn't on my skill level.  In those games though, I've found ways to lose because I gave them too many opportunities to stay in the game.  They weren't the better team, but I made the poorer decisions.  Usually I can turn it around, but others....

1 - Allen - Was there an article this week that said Allen had a weak arm that I missed?  Allen decided it was a fastball only game, on a day where the weather was so cold that the football felt like a rock.  If Diggs can't pull in a basic slant pass, you know something is wrong.  Allen put up one of his worse statistical passing games and I still never really felt like we were going to lose this game.  The Falcons defensive line did a good job of getting their hands up and tipping two passes into interceptions.  The other interception was an example of when hero ball goes wrong.  Fortunately, Allen is a true dual threat QB and score two touchdowns on the ground and learned to lean on his rushing attack in the second half, helping the Bills cruise to an easy win.

2 - Defensive Backs - Outside of the big Kyle Pitts play, I thought the Bills defensive backs played one of their best overall games of the season.  What was so impressive was their ability to turn their heads back to the pass at just the right time.  I know the Falcons are word beaters at receiver, but there were plenty of passes where we would've been flagged for PI in prior weeks.  Dane and Levi played a hell of a game it's great to see this unit step up in Tre's absence

3 - Stevenson - For those who got comfortable on punt returns, this was the game to bust out the old Zanax.  Stevenson fumbled on his first punt return, which led to a safety.  Then he later bobbled another punt.  On two kick off returns, he found a way to get tackled by another Bill.  With McD's zero tolerance policy, I wonder if we see McKenzie back there next week considering he wasn't a factor in the passing game again.

4 - Talking to herself
"There's no one else who needs to know"
She tells herself
Memories back when she was bold and strong
And waiting for the world to come along
Swears she knew him, now she swears he's gone

5 - Edmunds - I have to go back on my word from a few weeks back and talk about Edmunds again.  Is it me, or is he always chasing down plays or standing around a group tackle?  He showed his value in the passing game on a few plays where he used his lanky body to jump around and block passing lanes, but that's about all I saw him do in this game.  He got trucked twice in this game, where the running back got an additional 3-5 yards on the tackle.  I just don't get it with this kid anymore and I'm at the point where I hope they can trade him for some value heading into his 5th year.

6 - Phillips - It drives me crazy when players finally figure out how to play in their contract year.  Over the past few weeks, Phillips has finally become the cog in the middle of the defensive line that we hoped he could be when we drafted him.  Unfortunately, he's also injured constantly.  In this game, Harrison was all over the place and did a great job against the Falcons run.  For a big boy, he showed some speed getting to plays on the edge and getting involved.  Him and Oliver were a wrecking crew in this game, where Oliver was consistently getting double teamed. 

7 - Snatching Defeat from the Jaws of Victory - When Matt Ryan got the taunting penalty against Poyer, only to find out he didn't actually get into the end zone, leading to no points; did anyone else picture that happening to the Bills 5 years ago?  Being on the other side of it, it's hysterical to watch these sub .500 teams find ways to take themselves out of games.  For those who watched the Jets game, who were up 4; they ran a QB sneak on 4th and a long 2.  The coach said it was a play call mix-up, but still.  We had the Josh Allen slip and the Hail Murray, but it's still overall night to no longer feel like "that team"

8 - Return of the Young Ends - MIA for weeks, Groot and AJ finally decided to show up for this game in a big way.  Groot had the huge strip sack while AJ made some great plays in space and a big open field tackle.  I'm still not seeing much from them against 1 on 1 match ups, but hopefully they are also starting to get some confidence.

9 - McD - As this game ended, there were a lot of tweets about records broken and whatnot.  A few things stood out for me that really shows all the things McD and Beane have done for this team.  This was our first playoff clinching win since the late 90's.  This is our 4th playoff run in 5 years.  McD has over 10 wins in multiple seasons and is already climbing up the Bills coaching wins records.  There's always something to criticize, and that's what we do as fans, but to take a step back and look at things now versus the drought is very impressive. 

10 - Thoughts - This may be my last season writing these post game thoughts.  I haven't fully made up my mind and it has nothing to do with any of my readers.  Honestly, the support from so many of you is why I've kept doing this as long as I have.  I'm coming up on almost 10 years of writing these and it really is work.  I know the writing is casual and spelling is off, but that's meant to be part of the charm.  The truth is, I can't watch a game without taking notes.  As my work life changes, getting these written becomes more like an assignment.  I can't really just enjoy the game or comment much afterwards, because I feel like I have an obligation, versus something that started out as fun after Bill left it behind.  If I do decide to walk away, it doesn't mean I won't write thoughts or comments in other places, but I just won't commit to the timetable and rhythm I've been following until now, and it may not have as many details.  Sometimes, I just want to watch a game and enjoy it, versus sitting the and adding notes to sort through later.  But again, the community has been so supportive and maybe this season was more taxing for some reason.  Regardless, I reserve the right to change my mind.

Go Bills!!!

I really enjoy these. 

But I hear you— these recaps take a lot of time and effort. For my fantasy league, I used to do detailed predictions each week for years, and everyone loved them, but they took a ton of work. In the end, it became less fun (and I wasn’t even sure everyone still enjoyed them or read them as much), and so I stopped. I think I moved to doing them only for the playoffs, and then stopped altogether. 

• Like (+1) 1

Always a great read @Virgil and appreciate the effort you put into these.  One thing I will say is that when I read through your post there are always a lot of "oh ya, I remember thinking that" moments from during game that I totally forgot about.  Had never considered that you would need to be taking notes during the game to capture your thoughts but obviously when I see how many things I forget about it makes perfect sense.  I'm sure that effort detracts somewhat from your game day experience, so understand completely the desire to dial it back.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Virgil said:

7 - Snatching Defeat from the Jaws of Victory - When Matt Ryan got the taunting penalty against Poyer, only to find out he didn't actually get into the end zone, leading to no points; did anyone else picture that happening to the Bills 5 years ago?  

I remember a couple of classic instances of bad Bills teams looking for new ways to give gifts to the other team.  Once back in the early '70s or so we took a penalty because one of our players ran off the field to the opposing team's bench by mistake.  And I'll always remember Lee Smith fondly for the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty he took in a game where he wasn't even active and was on the sidelines in civvies.

Spot on with everything.  

7- I thought that same thing while watching it happen.  Thank god what wasn’t us.  Just a brutal penalty and outcome to literally end your season. Pain.  No pain for us.  

5- same old Edmunds.  Never ceases to amaze me that he has never amazed me.  

6- Harry pulling a Shaq lawson. A backup type player until the contract year.  Luckily he plays DT.  We may be able to rest in him.  I hope he returns at a salary that takes into consideration his inability to stay healthy.  

No mention of Motor eliminates this from being one of your best posts.  

21 hours ago, Virgil said:

I've played Madden for about 20 years now and I'd like to think I'm pretty good at it.  I was ranked in the top 5% for a bit and really have the most fun when I'm playing someone who knows football.  It can be easy at times when you play someone who only runs the same plays over and over again, but can't adjust to anything else.  Sometimes, I will even mess around and try new plays when I'm up against someone who I can tell isn't on my skill level.  In those games though, I've found ways to lose because I gave them too many opportunities to stay in the game.  They weren't the better team, but I made the poorer decisions.  Usually I can turn it around, but others....

1 - Allen - Was there an article this week that said Allen had a weak arm that I missed?  Allen decided it was a fastball only game, on a day where the weather was so cold that the football felt like a rock.  If Diggs can't pull in a basic slant pass, you know something is wrong.  Allen put up one of his worse statistical passing games and I still never really felt like we were going to lose this game.  The Falcons defensive line did a good job of getting their hands up and tipping two passes into interceptions.  The other interception was an example of when hero ball goes wrong.  Fortunately, Allen is a true dual threat QB and score two touchdowns on the ground and learned to lean on his rushing attack in the second half, helping the Bills cruise to an easy win.

2 - Defensive Backs - Outside of the big Kyle Pitts play, I thought the Bills defensive backs played one of their best overall games of the season.  What was so impressive was their ability to turn their heads back to the pass at just the right time.  I know the Falcons are word beaters at receiver, but there were plenty of passes where we would've been flagged for PI in prior weeks.  Dane and Levi played a hell of a game it's great to see this unit step up in Tre's absence

3 - Stevenson - For those who got comfortable on punt returns, this was the game to bust out the old Zanax.  Stevenson fumbled on his first punt return, which led to a safety.  Then he later bobbled another punt.  On two kick off returns, he found a way to get tackled by another Bill.  With McD's zero tolerance policy, I wonder if we see McKenzie back there next week considering he wasn't a factor in the passing game again.

4 - Talking to herself
"There's no one else who needs to know"
She tells herself
Memories back when she was bold and strong
And waiting for the world to come along
Swears she knew him, now she swears he's gone

5 - Edmunds - I have to go back on my word from a few weeks back and talk about Edmunds again.  Is it me, or is he always chasing down plays or standing around a group tackle?  He showed his value in the passing game on a few plays where he used his lanky body to jump around and block passing lanes, but that's about all I saw him do in this game.  He got trucked twice in this game, where the running back got an additional 3-5 yards on the tackle.  I just don't get it with this kid anymore and I'm at the point where I hope they can trade him for some value heading into his 5th year.

6 - Phillips - It drives me crazy when players finally figure out how to play in their contract year.  Over the past few weeks, Phillips has finally become the cog in the middle of the defensive line that we hoped he could be when we drafted him.  Unfortunately, he's also injured constantly.  In this game, Harrison was all over the place and did a great job against the Falcons run.  For a big boy, he showed some speed getting to plays on the edge and getting involved.  Him and Oliver were a wrecking crew in this game, where Oliver was consistently getting double teamed. 

7 - Snatching Defeat from the Jaws of Victory - When Matt Ryan got the taunting penalty against Poyer, only to find out he didn't actually get into the end zone, leading to no points; did anyone else picture that happening to the Bills 5 years ago?  Being on the other side of it, it's hysterical to watch these sub .500 teams find ways to take themselves out of games.  For those who watched the Jets game, who were up 4; they ran a QB sneak on 4th and a long 2.  The coach said it was a play call mix-up, but still.  We had the Josh Allen slip and the Hail Murray, but it's still overall night to no longer feel like "that team"

8 - Return of the Young Ends - MIA for weeks, Groot and AJ finally decided to show up for this game in a big way.  Groot had the huge strip sack while AJ made some great plays in space and a big open field tackle.  I'm still not seeing much from them against 1 on 1 match ups, but hopefully they are also starting to get some confidence.

9 - McD - As this game ended, there were a lot of tweets about records broken and whatnot.  A few things stood out for me that really shows all the things McD and Beane have done for this team.  This was our first playoff clinching win since the late 90's.  This is our 4th playoff run in 5 years.  McD has over 10 wins in multiple seasons and is already climbing up the Bills coaching wins records.  There's always something to criticize, and that's what we do as fans, but to take a step back and look at things now versus the drought is very impressive. 

10 - Thoughts - This may be my last season writing these post game thoughts.  I haven't fully made up my mind and it has nothing to do with any of my readers.  Honestly, the support from so many of you is why I've kept doing this as long as I have.  I'm coming up on almost 10 years of writing these and it really is work.  I know the writing is casual and spelling is off, but that's meant to be part of the charm.  The truth is, I can't watch a game without taking notes.  As my work life changes, getting these written becomes more like an assignment.  I can't really just enjoy the game or comment much afterwards, because I feel like I have an obligation, versus something that started out as fun after Bill left it behind.  If I do decide to walk away, it doesn't mean I won't write thoughts or comments in other places, but I just won't commit to the timetable and rhythm I've been following until now, and it may not have as many details.  Sometimes, I just want to watch a game and enjoy it, versus sitting the and adding notes to sort through later.  But again, the community has been so supportive and maybe this season was more taxing for some reason.  Regardless, I reserve the right to change my mind.

Go Bills!!!

Thank you Virgil. We are in your debt.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/4/2022 at 5:23 PM, Virgil said:

Go Bills!!!

Virgil if you do step away I would just say your impact on many of us who do write post game has been tremendous. I do not write every week,  rather when I feel I have some things I would like to say that may contribute to a strong discussion or many times after a big win/loss. When I have posted my thoughts I more or less model them after how you have from the format to how concise you make your points so it is an easy read. Many others do the same and you should give yourself a huge pat on the back for that alone.

I completely get the burnout feeling writing after a while when it goes from fun to seemingly work. I use to write for a Sabres website and I got the same way after a while. At least with the Bills being good the last bunch of years it has been vastly easier and more interesting to write and discuss.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/4/2022 at 3:23 PM, Virgil said:

1 - Allen - Was there an article this week that said Allen had a weak arm that I missed?  Allen decided it was a fastball only game, on a day where the weather was so cold that the football felt like a rock.  If Diggs can't pull in a basic slant pass, you know something is wrong.  Allen put up one of his worse statistical passing games and I still never really felt like we were going to lose this game.  The Falcons defensive line did a good job of getting their hands up and tipping two passes into interceptions.  The other interception was an example of when hero ball goes wrong. 

On 1/4/2022 at 3:37 PM, BuffaloBillies said:

Nice write-up. I also thought Josh was throwing fastball missiles throughout the game, sometimes when the guy was only 10 feet away.

I have some thoughts on this.  First of all, Allen throws hard sometimes because he needs the ball to knife through the wind.  His receivers need to be able to adjust, and the staff need to adjust practice conditions so that they can adjust.  If they’re indoors, get a little chest freezer in the field house and keep the balls in it or something.

But I think there may be something else going on.  Allen has talked about how he previously couldn’t adjust to “take a little off” and still be accurate, and that to be able to throw more accurately and with more touch, he needed to adjust the sequencing of his throwing motion so his hips fire first then his arms etc.

I think it’s possible that in the cold and slick conditions, his throwing sequence may revert and he’s back to needing to throw fastballs in order to be accurate, and also not trusting his short “check down” throws because those were his Achilles heel pre-draft.  

Again, this is something Josh and his off-season partners and the Bills QB staff need to figure out conditions to practice it if that’s the case.  There are summer “tubing hills” where the astroturf is kept slick with a misting system, something like that.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have some thoughts on this.  First of all, Allen throws hard sometimes because he needs the ball to knife through the wind.  His receivers need to be able to adjust, and the staff need to adjust practice conditions so that they can adjust.  If they’re indoors, get a little chest freezer in the field house and keep the balls in it or something.

But I think there may be something else going on.  Allen has talked about how he previously couldn’t adjust to “take a little off” and still be accurate, and that to be able to throw more accurately and with more touch, he needed to adjust the sequencing of his throwing motion so his hips fire first then his arms etc.

I think it’s possible that in the cold and slick conditions, his throwing sequence may revert and he’s back to needing to throw fastballs in order to be accurate, and also not trusting his short “check down” throws because those were his Achilles heel pre-draft.  

Again, this is something Josh and his off-season partners and the Bills QB staff need to figure out conditions to practice it if that’s the case.  There are summer “tubing hills” where the astroturf is kept slick with a misting system, something like that.

Interesting.  Oddly enough, I thought the week before, in New England, he showed a mastery of the touch pass all game - it was his best-ever game with those types of passes IMO.  And it was plenty cold.  Yet one week later he was back to throwing only fastballs.

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Catching a fastball from Josh Allen throwing a cold slick football can't be easy, even for a pro, the pass off Diggs hands in the end zone last week i think on a warmer day would be a TD  95% of the time.  He also resorted to a lot of bullets because the Falcons did a good job of getting their hands up so speed was critical, wonder if that was a goal of the Falcons.

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Years ago, a reporter walked into the locker room after a practice and asked the receivers why they had all these little X's on their chests. The retort was, that's just John being John.

John Elway was always throwing with force and the receivers simply learned to catch those fastballs. I don't recall those Bronco receivers not being able to catch everything thrown their way.

No reason why the Bills receivers can't learn to catch everything too, in any conditions. Coaching.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.