How confident are you about the Bills going into the playoffs?

Steptide

3 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Singletary averages less than 50 yards per game. When the Bills need to run it in the red zone or on 3rd and short, they were not successful most of the year. They are improving recently and the performance against Atlanta in the red zone and at the end of the game was encouraging.

But having your QB be very nearly your leading rusher is not sustainable. It means he is taking an exponentially greater number of hits every game and the risk is the team is likely not going to be competitive offensively if he goes down. Trubisky is just not capable of doing the things Josh does to extend drives. 

At this point in the season, they have no choice but to keep riding Josh’s arm and legs, but they need a RB with a better skill set than Singletary if they are going to conserve Josh for the long haul. 

The line is performing better of late and that too is encouraging. 

To be fair our offensive line was horrendous most of the year and we weren’t successful doing much of anything 🤣 it’s just such a catch 22…you want josh to stop doing things that help the team and give defensive coordinators headaches because if he gets hurt and Mitch trubisky comes in he can’t do the things that you wanted josh to stop doing lol 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, balln said:

sure in the superbowl if you have to run allen 10 times and he has to scramble a bunch - you do it. 

but over the course of 10+ seasons its going to add up. christ he hurt his foot scramblin in TB and bruce arians made a comment like hes gonna get hurt - better be able to throw better

im thinking long term running/relying on him to run does two things:

1) injury risk

2) he doesnt become absolutely passing lethal like a brady or rodgers 

Bruce arians is a clown…if you have the best pass protection in the nfl then sitting in the pocket becomes much more dangerous…and he’s gonna sit in his ivory tower and criticize the 31 teams that don’t have that for risking injuries lol what a joke.  My point is that this year we’re in the playoffs and the afc field is wide open…do you really want to take those designed qb runs out of the playbook now just because josh Allen might get injured?  Long term of course offensive line/running game will be a focus I’m not saying to ignore that.  I think singletary has been criminally underrated this season as well cuz people are just obsessed with yardage totals per game…dude has ripped off some nice runs every single week and he’s 12th in ypc

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

2 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

While I understand the pessimism, I also feel like when this team has had its back against the wall or a tough challenge they have responded. If they see every playoff game this way, they will win it all. I think the only thing that beats the Bills is themselves. 

They have responded, no doubt, but I'm not so sure there aren't a number of teams that can beat them in this league, especially if you include the NFC.  Depends on the day and how the breaks fall.  

However, I would bet a lot of money they will be amped to the maximum for every playoff game they play (everyone is on every team in every sport!) and it will bring out the best in them.  I really believe that.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Bruce arians is a clown…if you have the best pass protection in the nfl then sitting in the pocket becomes much more dangerous…and he’s gonna sit in his ivory tower and criticize the 31 teams that don’t have that for risking injuries lol what a joke.  My point is that this year we’re in the playoffs and the afc field is wide open…do you really want to take those designed qb runs out of the playbook now just because josh Allen might get injured?  Long term of course offensive line/running game will be a focus I’m not saying to ignore that.  I think singletary has been criminally underrated this season as well cuz people are just obsessed with yardage totals per game…dude has ripped off some nice runs every single week and he’s 12th in ypc

no short term/ super bowl let the horse ride free

just cant be the franchise plan to have him run wild - running jumping and flying like end of TEN game - for the rest of his career

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

To be fair our offensive line was horrendous most of the year and we weren’t successful doing much of anything 🤣 it’s just such a catch 22…you want josh to stop doing things that help the team and give defensive coordinators headaches because if he gets hurt and Mitch trubisky comes in he can’t do the things that you wanted josh to stop doing lol 

The o-line is showing signs of life. I just don’t trust them to get tough yards when they need to run for them in short yardage or red zone. Maybe I’ll have more confidence if they put up 150-200 yards on the Jets.  

Trubisky - the issue there is he can’t escape the rush and make spontaneous throws like Josh can. Running isn’t the issue with Trubisky - he won’t be able to hide the o-line’s weaknesses the way Josh can. Trubisky seems to be a pretty good runner actually. He just doesn’t have the improvisation skills Josh has and which make this offense go. 

back to the thread.... not confident. the one thing they have proven is to be really bad in the red zone (i know they rank 15th or something but they should/have to be top 3 with the QB and defense they have) , play calling is head scratching, D is not championship caliber against the run, and they are turning over the ball and committing a lot of penalties 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

The o-line is showing signs of life. I just don’t trust them to get tough yards when they need to run for them in short yardage or red zone. Maybe I’ll have more confidence if they put up 150-200 yards on the Jets.  

Trubisky - the issue there is he can’t escape the rush and make spontaneous throws like Josh can. Running isn’t the issue with Trubisky - he won’t be able to hide the o-line’s weaknesses the way Josh can. Trubisky seems to be a pretty good runner actually. He just doesn’t have the improvisation skills Josh has and which make this offense go. 

I mean a lot of these qb runs you guys are talking about are improvisations where no one is open so those two types of running kind of go hand in hand.  I think a lot of defensive coordinators around the league are wishing some of you guys ran our team 😂 so much of the defenses resources goes into trying to keep josh in the pocket that it opens up all kinds of other plays

9 minutes ago, balln said:

no short term/ super bowl let the horse ride free

just cant be the franchise plan to have him run wild - running jumping and flying like end of TEN game - for the rest of his career

Ok so we’ve got a common ground here lol long term I don’t think that is the plan.  Cap reduced year though and it was not really feasible to try to rebuild the offensive and defensive lines in this same offseason.  We went after dline and I doubt we expected the offensive line to regress this badly when we had so much continuity.  I think the current setup we have has performed much better so I have some confidence going forward.  We ran well when the opposing defense knew it was coming to close out the last 3 or 4 games that is usually a good sign. You’re paying a guy a quarter billion dollars to mask some of the deficiencies in the roster and he has done that for sure  

8 minutes ago, balln said:

back to the thread.... not confident. the one thing they have proven is to be really bad in the red zone (i know they rank 15th or something but they should/have to be top 3 with the QB and defense they have) , play calling is head scratching, D is not championship caliber against the run, and they are turning over the ball and committing a lot of penalties 

Can’t argue with the red zone criticism as much as I want to 😂 seems like nobody is coming down with 50/50 balls this year outside of gabe Davis and that’s really what you need down there 

5 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I mean a lot of these qb runs you guys are talking about are improvisations where no one is open so those two types of running kind of go hand in hand.  I think a lot of defensive coordinators around the league are wishing some of you guys ran our team 😂  

I’m not “you guys”. And I’m not saying Josh is not successful and effective.  I’m saying it’s not sustainable and that our line and RBs don’t instill confidence in their ability to take the load off Josh to save him from excessive risk. 

10 minutes ago, balln said:

So, other than that, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I’m not “you guys”. And I’m not saying Josh is not successful and effective.  I’m saying it’s not sustainable and that our line and RBs don’t instill confidence in their ability to take the load off Josh to save him from excessive risk. 

What is unsustainable about it…he can get injured?  I guess that’s the part I struggle with understanding.  You can remove one offensive linemen from a strong running team and the whole running game falls apart…anyone can get injured.  If we struggle running the football why would you want to remove successful running plays.  The main focal point for a defensive coordinator every week is to try to limit the rushing lanes for josh so if you’re gonna start limiting that facet of his game defensive coordinators are gonna take notice and it is going to bring the whole offense down.  Despite nobody liking our rbs we are still a huge threat on the ground and that is opening up avenues in the passing game.  I’m not saying throw him to the wolves every season but I’m all for designed qb runs with the prospect of the superbowl on the line 

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

What is unsustainable about it…he can get injured?  I guess that’s the part I struggle with understanding.  You can remove one offensive linemen from a strong running team and the whole running game falls apart…anyone can get injured.  If we struggle running the football why would you want to remove successful running plays.  The main focal point for a defensive coordinator every week is to try to limit the rushing lanes for josh so if you’re gonna start limiting that facet of his game defensive coordinators are gonna take notice and it is going to bring the whole offense down.  Despite nobody liking our rbs we are still a huge threat on the ground and that is opening up avenues in the passing game.  I’m not saying throw him to the wolves every season but I’m all for designed qb runs with the prospect of the superbowl on the line 

If you don’t see the difference between an O-lineman getting hurt and Josh going down, I guess we’re done here. 

23 minutes ago, balln said:

According to https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct they are ranked 9th and raked 4th in the last 3. So they are improving

10 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

If you don’t see the difference between an O-lineman getting hurt and Josh going down, I guess we’re done here. 

I was very much not talking about our team…that was in reference to these ground and pound heavy teams with average passing games.  Josh is our whole team that is obvious and literally my point…we have a chance to win it all the answer isn’t to limit him because other teams run the football better with rbs.  You do what it takes to win the game in the playoffs no matter what. But if I was saying what you thought…I would provide the chiefs losing an offensive linemen against us in the playoffs and getting absolutely obliterated by the bucs as evidence 😂

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

They have responded, no doubt, but I'm not so sure there aren't a number of teams that can beat them in this league, especially if you include the NFC.  Depends on the day and how the breaks fall.  

However, I would bet a lot of money they will be amped to the maximum for every playoff game they play (everyone is on every team in every sport!) and it will bring out the best in them.  I really believe that.

I agree with them giving it their best shot. It felt like at times they slept walked through games and It bit them in the butt a few times. I don’t see that happening in the playoffs.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.