Flying in to take my sons to their first Bills game on Sunday

I wouldn't recommend making a fuss over trying to get beef on weck. It truly is not anything to write home about.

I would recommend Buffalo pizza from Bocce Club or La Nova, and the cajun honey butter BBQ wings from Bar-Bill. You might want to order takeout from Bar-Bill unless you plan to be there in line for a table when the doors open.

Definitely go to the Falls if they've never been.

Don't plan anything for Sunday other than going to the game, and park in someone's yard away from the stadium lots so you can get out faster. I usually park about a mile away.

If you need something else to do on Saturday and want some memorabilia, try the BFLO Store, Dave & Adam's, and the Walden Galleria.

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, twist_to_open said:

No tolls on that route, correct? I can't remember, but took that way to the airport back in Sept.

correctamundo.  Only tolls in the area are on the Grand Island Bridges (I-190), and on the 90 east of the Transit Rd exit and west of the 219/Ridge Rd exits.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Augie said:

I took both my sons when they turned 16 as a rite of passage. Cemented die hard Bills fans. Congrats on an event your kids will never forget. That beats “things” hands down! 

I don't know about that one, lol. When I was turning 13, I got an Atari 2600 and toy pool table for Christmas. I played with those things obsessively, for years. Of course, this was 1982 and the Bills finished 4-5-1 and out of the expanded playoffs in a strike-shortened season. There were no divisions, but Miami, the Jets, and New England all made the playoffs. The Jets stunned the Steelers and number one ranked Raiders, while Miami went to the SB. I froze my butt off enough delivering newspapers each day and walking to school. The last thing I would want is more freezing at Rich Stadium, as it was called back then, lol. But, yeah, I'm sure these kids would love the experience, especially with the Bills winning.

[Sidenote: Back then, our home games were often blacked out, so we sat in the living room around the radio listening to Van Miller's broadcast..for real! I had to experience the 1984 0-11 Bills vs. 7-4 Dallas victory this way, as well as the Roland Hooks Hail Mary vs. New England in 1981, both in Week 12 in November]

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I wouldn't recommend making a fuss over trying to get beef on weck. It truly is not anything to write home about.

Someone finally said it. I didn’t want to be the first.

If you’re in the area of Charley’s and have nothing to do, fine. Try it.

But don’t go out of your way for it. People hype it up, but it’s nothing special. If you’ve had an Arby’s sandwhich then you have at least a general idea of what it’s going to taste like.

Personally I think that Rochester’s garbage plate is far more of a true “try this” than beef on weck.

Edit; I would also make it a point to have italian while in town. I’ve traveled the country and western NY has the best italian food. In fact, the best italian restaurant that i’ve ever eaten is in Irondequoit NY. It’s called Pasta Villa and I can’t stop visiting. It’s perfect every time. A lot of italians settled down in that town and it’s truly something special.

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, 947 said:

How early should I plan on getting to there?

Was planning on getting there around 10:00, but considering the temps, not sure. Can you arrive at 10:00-10:30 & still get parking at ECC?

The main lots start to get pretty packed by 10:30 but since you want to get to the airport after the game, I wouldn’t recommend using them anyway.

I bet you would be fine at ECC at 10:30.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Last question, I promise...  Is there any authentic Buffalo food inside the stadium?

I see Bocce Club is there- is it the same pizza as their regular locations or just typical ballpark pizza?

Can you get good beef on weck inside?

Thanks to everyone for all the responses & tips.

3 minutes ago, 947 said:

Last question, I promise...  Is there any authentic Buffalo food inside the stadium?

I see Bocce Club is there- is it the same pizza as their regular locations or just typical ballpark pizza?

Can you get good beef on weck inside?

Thanks to everyone for all the responses & tips.

Stadium food is trash.

Its quickly made food using the cheapest ingredients and designed to feed 40k people quickly.

Edit: You can also spend up to half a quarter waiting in line to get it.

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Took my two boys -- then 13 and 9 -- to their first game in 2000 when the Bears came to town.

They had a blast.

Yours will as well.

Nice! I was at that game, Rob Johnson was at QB if I remember right. My boys weren't born yet though...

10 minutes ago, 947 said:

Nice! I was at that game, Rob Johnson was at QB if I remember right. My boys weren't born yet though...

Do you remember the fire -- no cars or people were hurt -- in Parking Lot 6?

Someone brought a bunch of stuffed bears, lined them up like a OL and DL and lit them on fire.

Burned out safely.

30 minutes ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Do you remember the fire -- no cars or people were hurt -- in Parking Lot 6?

Someone brought a bunch of stuffed bears, lined them up like a OL and DL and lit them on fire.

Burned out safely.

Lol, awesome. I can't recall that, but sounds awesome. I may have seen it, but lots of beer that day & 20 years has erased the memory. We were in 1 of the grass lots, I think Hammer's.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

Someone finally said it. I didn’t want to be the first.

If you’re in the area of Charley’s and have nothing to do, fine. Try it.

But don’t go out of your way for it. People hype it up, but it’s nothing special. If you’ve had an Arby’s sandwhich then you have at least a general idea of what it’s going to taste like.

Personally I think that Rochester’s garbage plate is far more of a true “try this” than beef on weck.

Edit; I would also make it a point to have italian while in town. I’ve traveled the country and western NY has the best italian food. In fact, the best italian restaurant that i’ve ever eaten is in Irondequoit NY. It’s called Pasta Villa and I can’t stop visiting. It’s perfect every time. A lot of italians settled down in that town and it’s truly something special.

Lot of Italians settled Buffalo LOL 

Whole neighborhoods were strictly Italian

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.