Anyone else sensing a Bates dilemma?

BillnutinHouston

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Scherff has made some big money the last 3 years and definitely wants to move on.

He would have to sign a really good team friendly contract if he wants to go for a ring in Buffalo.

Let's hope that's what he wants to do.

If they feel like they can get similar caliber play at Center from Bates that they do from Morse, moving on from Morse would free up 8.5m. just sayin'...

2 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

If they feel like they can get similar caliber play at Center from Bates that they do from Morse, moving on from Morse would free up 8.5m. just sayin'...

All possible but Brandon Scherff could want a lot more than $8.5M.

Spotrac has his value at $12.7M on a 5year contract and bottom teams might pay more than that.

Just saying.

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think you keep Williams to be the swing tackle at least.  Tender Bates and find a new starting C and G. 

Tyler Linderbaum from Iowa is probably in the wheelhouse of where we are projected to draft. Tough to find a quality center in free agency, but the 20-30 range in the draft is a great spot. Draft Linderbaum and sign a Sherff or Norwell and I would be a pretty happy fan.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Last year they had all 3 healthy for games 8 and 11-16.  And my point was keeping a guy out of the starting lineup out of fear he's going to get hurt and not be able to backup another guy seems silly, if he's the best option to start elsewhere.

Don't disagree, but last year, I'm not sure he was the best option as overall the line and Feliciano played decent.  This year Feliciano has been up and down and hurt. and certainly more down and hurt than good games.

35 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Tyler Linderbaum from Iowa is probably in the wheelhouse of where we are projected to draft. Tough to find a quality center in free agency, but the 20-30 range in the draft is a great spot. Draft Linderbaum and sign a Sherff or Norwell and I would be a pretty happy fan.  

Ugh.  Last year they had Creed Humphrey sitting right there...

6 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

By most if not all accounts, Rick Bates played quite well Sunday, which especially with current OL availability issues raises the question of whether he will or should start at G going forward.  

It is no doubt RYAN Bates played well and he has played well no matter what position they put him at (now for suggestions he play DL so Bills get more sacks) and if he is twins name Rick and Ryan it explains why he is able to play so well.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

All possible but Brandon Scherff could want a lot more than $8.5M.

Spotrac has his value at $12.7M on a 5year contract and bottom teams might pay more than that.

Just saying.

$8.5M could see Austin Corbett in that range. A bit higher and Connor Williams could be in play. Would take either of them as well.

8 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

By most if not all accounts, Rick Bates played quite well Sunday, which especially with current OL availability issues raises the question of whether he will or should start at G going forward.  

All year (and before) he seems to have been kept in reserve as the backup C, but at what point do you throw caution to the wind, gamble on Morse staying healthy and putting your best 5 out onto the field?

McD was asked about this after the game but immediately deflected the question.  

Curious to see what you all think about this.

I think Feliciano is a perfectly fine backup G and C but it’s time to see what Bates can do

8 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

He's a good depth player due to this versatility. However he's easily upgradable and we should hope that Beane feels the need to address the OL with players not currently on the roster this time.

I hope so too, but one question is what do we do for the rest of the season?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Agreed.  That would be amazing 

Feliciano is not the player he was for us in 2019. The reality is, Bates' performance vs the Pats was better than anything Mongo has done in the past 2 seasons. We just had our best OL performace of the year in our biggest game of the year, Bates was the catalyst. When you catch lightning like that, you don't change a thing.

I think Bates can be really good, but even if he grades out as league-average, that's better than Feliciano, Ford, or Boettger.

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, 947 said:

Feliciano is not the player he was for us in 2019. The reality is, Bates' performance vs the Pats was better than anything Mongo has done in the past 2 seasons. We just had our best OL performace of the year in our biggest game of the year, Bates was the catalyst. When you catch lightning like that, you don't change a thing.

I think Bates can be really good, but even if he grades out as league-average, that's better than Feliciano, Ford, or Boettger.

I'm inclined to think Bates at least earned himself another chance at a start.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Both.  He flipped when Boettger was injured.  Three of the remaining four linemen changed position following that injury.  Dawkins came in at LT. 

Ah, never mind.  I forgot he started at RG and then moved to LG when Boettger got injured.

Where did he look better:  RG or LG?

10 hours ago, Doc said:

Ah, never mind.  I forgot he started at RG and then moved to LG when Boettger got injured.

Where did he look better:  RG or LG?

Hard for me to tell only watching the game on TV.  I'd say LG b/c it seemed like the running game picked up after the shuffle.  That, of course, could be due to the fact that the right side was put back together and Dion Dawkins played maybe his best game as a pro.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.