Allen in the Panthers game: Jim Kubiak article

Hapless Bills Fan

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/jim-kubiak-bills-qb-josh-allens-ball-skills-could-key-next-step-of-his-development/article_8ce541c0-61eb-11ec-a878-275f082fa019.html

Kubiak grades each play on a "do your job" system (did Allen make a good throw/catchable ball or throw it away if no one open?)

Interestingly, he graded Allen's 1st Q about the lowest of the season - 60%

Allen’s first three plays of the game graded out as minuses as the offense sputtered. Allen missed Cole Beasley in the flat to start the game, then held the football too long on an RPO concept, which created an illegal man downfield penalty. On the next play, Allen missed Beasley again with a high throw. That led to a third-and-15 play in which Allen was sacked and fumbled. Brown recovered and they were able to punt, avoiding turning the ball over to the Panthers on their own 35-yard line.

A holding penalty on Brown and a sack on second-and-8 stunted the next drive and the Bills ended the quarter with no points. Penalties and hiccups in the passing game prevented the Bills from gaining any offensive traction.

One has to wonder if Allen's foot affected his initial throws, and it took getting warmed up and perhaps getting his adrenaline going to settle in and be able to throw properly.

But we can't afford a 1Q like that against the Pats.

He has this to say about Allen's INT in an otherwise excellent 2Q:

In this diagram, focus on No. 21, safety Jeremy Chinn. Chinn reacted to Knox blocking and releasing to the flat. Allen saw him fly to the flat. Diggs was trying to run a corner route, but Gilmore had outside technique. In an effort to set up Gilmore and try to get outside of him, Diggs made a move to the post and then came out of his route flat. This was a basic corner/flat combination in which Allen read short to deep. But in this case, Allen, rather than take the easy completion in the flat to Knox, waited for Diggs to come out of his break. Chinn drifted underneath Diggs and intercepted the throw. Allen never saw him. 

61c11064bd417.image.png

I had wondered from how far off the throw was, if Allen was expecting Diggs to run a different route option, but Kubiak feels Chinn made a good play and Allen passed up a safe throw to Knox, who would have been left open for lots o' yards.  Live n Learn.

The third quarter did not play out exactly as the Bills had planned. A a missed throw to Beasley, a dropped pass by Tommy Sweeney, and a necessary throwaway foiled an Allen 26-yard scramble that should have set up the Bills for another score.

That drop by Sweeney was bad.  Gotta haul that in.

Kubiak points out the critical role of the run game in helping to sell play-action and open up the passing game:

Allen’s ballhandling and Singletary’s discipline made it impossible for the defense to know who had the football. This action, combined with a potent running attack, can cause fits for the defense. This idea comes back to one thing, getting the running game going. If the defense is put in the position of having to commit to stopping the run, they have fewer players in the secondary available to cover. If a team cannot run the football effectively, and the defense can stop the run with five or six defenders in the box, then play action isn’t as effective. In this game, the effective run game (Singletary’s 85 yards on 22 carries) enhanced the potency of the play-action passing game.

Part of his conclusion:

For the foundation of a quarterback, the things that matter most are technique, footwork and ballhandling. It was fun to see Allen developing his ballhandling. This improvement and focus yielded fruit in the play-action passing game. If the Bills are going to beat the New England Patriots, I have to believe that running the football and play action will need to be a part of that equation because the Patriots have a way of taking away players’ best attributes.

As Allen continues to grow, it will be essential to see the Bills run the football successfully and play-action pass, using the lesser known part of their arsenal to achieve the big plays that drive this offense. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

One has to wonder if Allen's foot affected his initial throws, and it took getting warmed up and perhaps getting his adrenaline going to settle in and be able to throw properly.

Maybe our defense needs to rough Allen up during pre-game so he plays well in 1st quarter!   🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I think it a combo of a couple of things, his injury, knowing his line was different, and seeing how the Panthers were playing them. 

I rewatched the Panthers game. We were fortunate to be playing a team as messed up as Carolina. If they didn't lose their kicker it would have been a lot closer. We made plays but we also kept talking penalties and miscues. We never looked in sync.

It also made be realize that Josh is much more tentative this year than last. The swagger is missing. Is it the coaching? Have other teams figured out how to slow him down? Things are definitely not how they were.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I rewatched the Panthers game. We were fortunate to be playing a team as messed up as Carolina. If they didn't lose their kicker it would have been a lot closer. We made plays but we also kept talking penalties and miscues. We never looked in sync.

It also made be realize that Josh is much more tentative this year than last. The swagger is missing. Is it the coaching? Have other teams figured out how to slow him down? Things are definitely not how they were.

I think it is a combo of lesser O-line play, play calling, and teams adjusting their schemes. 

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I said it at the beginning of the season but Josh 100% does not trust his offensive line and for good reason. You can't expect a QBs confidence in his line to change from series to series. He knows he's likely going to be scrambling as soon as the ball is hiked. This is a seasons worth of running for his life that is adding up and it won't be until next season, assuming Beane fixes the O-line, that Josh will get back to his form of last season. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/24/2021 at 11:23 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/jim-kubiak-bills-qb-josh-allens-ball-skills-could-key-next-step-of-his-development/article_8ce541c0-61eb-11ec-a878-275f082fa019.html

Kubiak grades each play on a "do your job" system (did Allen make a good throw/catchable ball or throw it away if no one open?)

61c11064bd417.image.png

I had wondered from how far off the throw was, if Allen was expecting Diggs to run a different route option, but Kubiak feels Chinn made a good play and Allen passed up a safe throw to Knox, who would have been left open for lots o' yards.  Live n Learn.

Kubiak points out the critical role of the run game in helping to sell play-action and open up the passing game:

Part of his conclusion:

Having a brand new Oline again didn't help either.

13 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Watching games in person you see how the WRs and TEs fail to get open.   Dabol can rework the routes they run because they have become predictable. 

5 hours ago, Nitro said:

Watching games in person you see how the WRs and TEs fail to get open.   Dabol can rework the routes they run because they have become predictable. 

That's exactly why I re-watched. I was at the game and needed to see it from that perspective. You're right. Guys aren't getting open like before.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That's exactly why I re-watched. I was at the game and needed to see it from that perspective. You're right. Guys aren't getting open like before.

This is a 4-10 without Josh Allen. With Tre injured, Allen is the only player on the Bills roster opposing teams need to specifically consider in their game plans .  Everyone else is close enough to replacement level that teams can just do whatever it is they do.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/24/2021 at 11:23 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

61c11064bd417.image.png

Part of his conclusion:

I love Josh Allen's Ball handling!! Also his footwork is coming along nicely!

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

This is a 4-10 without Josh Allen. With Tre injured, Allen is the only player on the Bills roster opposing teams need to specifically consider in their game plans .  Everyone else is close enough to replacement level that teams can just do whatever it is they do.  

I would add Diggs to this short list.  But your point is spot on - without Allen we're a 4 or 5 win team right now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.