THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Still Some Building to be Done

Shaw66

I’ve been a Bills fan for 62 years.  This year I’ve noticed that, for the first time in my life as a fan, the losses don’t bother me much more than watching say, the Broncos lose.  My family and friends offer condolences, but I don’t need them.   It’s just a football game. 

It wasn’t always that way – I used to agonize over each of the 492 losses.

I’m not sure exactly when, or how, this happened, but it happened.  I can watch the Bills fail at the end of the game against the Titans, I can watch them fail again against the Patriots, but I don’t get upset.  (Okay, when they lose to Jacksonville, that’s different.)

So, if you’re looking for angry postgame ravings about who should be cut and who should be fired and how Diggs should have gotten the interference call, you’ll be disappointed here.  The Bills lost in overtime to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on a nationally televised game Sunday afternoon.  It was disappointing, but it was just a loss. 

Fans see the Patriots’ running game gash the Bills’ defense, and they want McDermott on the next stage out of town.  They see the Buccaneers annihilate the Bills in the first half, and they want the offense torn down and rebuilt.

What did I see?   I saw the Bills play two of the best teams in the league even, six days apart.  They played them even.  Against the Patriots, they failed to get a touchdown in the red zone at the end of the game, and they lost.  Against the Bucs, the reigning Super Bowl champions with a good shot at repeating, the Bills got only a field goal and a tie in the red zone at the end of the game, and they lost in overtime.  If they’d made two plays, they would have had two wins.

The Bills went to the AFC Championship game last season.  They were a good team.  This was the season Bills fans expected them to take the next step.  They haven’t.  The Bills still are a good team, but they haven’t figured out how to win games.  They looked better in 2020 than they have so far in 2021, but they really aren’t much different.  Defense is better but still has letdowns, offense isn’t as good and still can’t run the ball.  The little things that went right last season aren’t going right this season, and the Bills are losing some close games that they didn’t lose last season.

Still, the Bills are a good team.  They held the Bucs under their league-leading points per game average.  They limited their long-time, all-world nemesis, Tom Brady, to one field goal-drive in the second half, and one first down in all of his other second-half drives.  The stats for the game were practically dead-even.  The Bills just didn’t win. 

Things I saw:

1.  Josh Allen is still my quarterback.  I wanted to be on the sidelines, shaking him, screaming at him, after he threw that God-awful interception.  My goodness!  Make a great escape like that, still under pressure, THROW IT AWAY!  Turns out, the interception cost the Bills nothing, and the rest of the game, Allen was borderline brilliant.  Great throws, powerful runs.  The guy’s a great player, has some things to learn, and he’ll keep learning them. 

2.  Brian Daboll showed off some offensive creativity against the Bucs, finally.  Devin Singletary got some running room.  There were some clever routes to Dawson Knox.  Cole Beasley returned to a meaningful role in the passing game. 

3.  Is patience paying off with Harrison Phillips?   The guy has become a presence in the middle of the defensive line.

4.  Tremaine Edmunds seemed confused on the game-winning touchdown.  Was his drop too shallow?  Or was it more?  Did he fail to understand that Perriman was his man coming across the middle?  Something was wrong, and it was on Edmunds.  And give the Bucs credit for the play design.  Every other Bills defender had run away from the play, leaving Edmunds on an island or, rather, five yards off the island, drowning.

5.  As I suspected, the game didn’t turn on what Dane Jackson did or did not do.  This is a team defense, and Jackson’s a team player.  The Bills could have won with Jackson.  That’s not to say Tre’Davious White might not have changed things – a play here or there, and who knows? 

6. Seems like Gabriel Davis needs a bigger role in this offense.  He’s a poor-man’s Mike Evans, and Mike Evans is a baller.

7.  The fake punt seemed to have no chance whatsoever.  Any one of three defenders might have made the tackle.  That’s a lousy fake punt.  Either the Xs and Os were simply wrong, or the Bills didn’t have players on the field who could execute them.  Either way, the coaches should have known they were running a play that wasn’t likely to succeed.  The Bills would have had a better chance just going for it with their regular offense.  Still, the play didn’t cost the Bills. 

The 2021 Bills have been disappointing so far.  They clearly haven’t taken the next step, at least not yet, and it feels like a big step.  There are four games to be played, and three wins should get them into the playoffs.   The playoffs is where next steps are truly important.   

GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Agreed on all counts,  but especially the expectation of a loss.  This isnt the 2020 team, not by a longshot.  This is a latter era drought team who could fight to stay in a game but always come up short.  the only reason why we still have good (albeit utterly meaningless) stats on D is we beat up some JV teams early in the season.  We're the SD Jones of the NFL now, for an 80s wrestling reference.  Put on a good show but always get beat by the better team

• Agree 1

Good takes overall and a breath of fresh air over all the "Fire everyone, Bills are awful" takes that would literally get this team nowhere.

For # 4, it was a Rub route and the DB (pretty sure it was Dane but not 100%) that was supposed to follow took the wrong assignment so Edmunds tried to help and trail that route, but Perriman is the fastest WR on the BUCS so no linebacker is going to stay with him obviously, nor would a MLB be assigned to him on such a play. Cover1 postgame discusses it. Tremaine manned up in the post game interview as well and didn't call out the missed assignment.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Good takes overall and a breath of fresh air over all the "Fire everyone, Bills are awful" takes that would literally get this team nowhere.

For # 4, it was a Rub route and the DB (pretty sure it was Dane but not 100%) that was supposed to follow took the wrong assignment so Edmunds tried to help and trail that route, but Perriman is the fastest WR on the BUCS so no linebacker is going to stay with him obviously, nor would a MLB be assigned to him on such a play. Cover1 postgame discusses it. Tremaine manned up in the post game interview as well and didn't call out the missed assignment.

Thanks you and BTB.  I didn't watch many replays, and I didn't understand that.   So, maybe Jackson DID cost the Bills the game.  White might have been there.  

Oh, well.  

It's just hard seeing the Bills get close but lose important games this year.   Tennessee, New England, Tampa Bay.  Win 2 out of 3, and the Bills are 9-4.   Tough. 

• Agree 1

To your thoughtful perspective at the top = Yes. We all need to keep it in perspective. A few breaks here and there and we're competing for the #1 seed. Last year we got the breaks, this year, so far, not-so-much.

Here's the good news, we still have games to play and team is more than capable of winning every one the next four games. Do that, we're in, and probably AFC East champs (NE will lose to someone else, their QB cannot carry them when needed).

To your points, Shaw:

1 - Josh: Yes. He cemented his status last night by carrying this team on his back, and legs.

2 - Daboll: Agree. He somehow found his senses again in the 2nd half .... I get the feeling he out-thinks himself with game planning some times. Just do what we do best, Brian.

3 - Harry: Yes. He has been the best D-Lineman the last two games. If he keeps playing like this, the next Kyle Williams has arrived.

4 - Termaine: He seems to play more on confussed side than not. That one cost big time, but not sure it was all on him. Surely someone else has to be on that side of the field--what was remarkable on that play is how wide open it was once he got past Edmunds 7 yards beyond the line-of-scrimmage. How does that happen?

5 - Dane: Yes. He played well and I'm confident in his ability going forward. The only critique is the interception he should have had, twice. Those are the kind of big plays need to turn games like this.

6 - Davis: YES! YES! YES! I am convinced that having Sanders has hurt this team more than helped by taking time away from Davis. Davis did have one crucial drop in Jacksonville, but after that, he has been "Big Play Gabe" since the day he arrived last year--his fourth down play yesterday may have been the "effort play of the year" for this team. He needs to be the full-time #2 receiver.

7 - Fake Punt: Yuuup! That was so obvious (no one who watches football would believe Breida was there to block, have you seen his futile efforts in the backfield?). A bad idea, that was only topped it's badness in the execution of it.

But, I come away from these last two weeks encouraged; frustrated with the results, yes, but encourage about the potential. The Bills can win out, and if they do, they will most likely win the Division. If they win 3/4, they'll make the play-offs. And no other team wants to draw this team in the play-offs.

52 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I’ve been a Bills fan for 62 years.  This year I’ve noticed that, for the first time in my life as a fan, the losses don’t bother me much more than watching say, the Broncos lose.  My family and friends offer condolences, but I don’t need them.   It’s just a football game. 

I’m not sure exactly when, or how, this happened, but it happened.  I can watch the Bills fail at the end of the game against the Titans, I can watch them fail again against the Patriots, but I don’t get upset.  (Okay, when they lose to Jacksonville, that’s different.)

So, if you’re looking for angry postgame ravings about who should be cut and who should be fired and how Diggs should have gotten the interference call, you’ll be disappointed here.  The Bills lost in overtime to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on a nationally televised game Sunday afternoon.  It was disappointing, but it was just a loss. 

Fans see the Patriots’ running game gash the Bills’ defense, and they want McDermott on the next stage out of town.  They see the Buccaneers annihilate the Bills in the first half, and they want the offense torn down and rebuilt.

What did I see?   I saw the Bills play two of the best teams in the league even, six days apart.  They played them even.  Against the Patriots, they failed to get a touchdown in the red zone at the end of the game, and they lost.  Against the Bucs, the reigning Super Bowl champions with a good shot at repeating, the Bills got only a field goal and a tie in the red zone at the end of the game, and they lost in overtime.  If they’d made two plays, they would have had two wins.

The Bills went to the AFC Championship game last season.  They were a good team.  This was the season Bills fans expected them to take the next step.  They haven’t.  The Bills still are a good team, but they haven’t figured out how to win games.  They looked better in 2020 than they have so far in 2021, but they really aren’t much different.  Defense is better but still has letdowns, offense isn’t as good and still can’t run the ball.  The little things that went right last season aren’t going right this season, and the Bills are losing some close games that they didn’t lose last season.

Still, the Bills are a good team.  They held the Bucs under their league-leading points per game average.  They limited their long-time, all-world nemesis, Tom Brady, to one field goal-drive in the second half, and one first down in all of his other second-half drives.  The stats for the game were practically dead-even.  The Bills just didn’t win. 

Things I saw:

1.  Josh Allen is still my quarterback.  I wanted to be on the sidelines, shaking him, screaming at him, after he threw that God-awful interception.  My goodness!  Make a great escape like that, still under pressure, THROW IT AWAY!  Turns out, the interception cost the Bills nothing, and the rest of the game, Allen was borderline brilliant.  Great throws, powerful runs.  The guy’s a great player, has some things to learn, and he’ll keep learning them. 

2.  Brian Daboll showed off some offensive creativity against the Bucs, finally.  Devin Singletary got some running room.  There were some clever routes to Dawson Knox.  Cole Beasley returned to a meaningful role in the passing game. 

3.  Is patience paying off with Harrison Phillips?   The guy has become a presence in the middle of the defensive line.

4.  Tremaine Edmunds seemed confused on the game-winning touchdown.  Was his drop too shallow?  Or was it more?  Did he fail to understand that Perriman was his man coming across the middle?  Something was wrong, and it was on Edmunds.  And give the Bucs credit for the play design.  Every other Bills defender had run away from the play, leaving Edmunds on an island or, rather, five yards off the island, drowning.

5.  As I suspected, the game didn’t turn on what Dane Jackson did or did not do.  This is a team defense, and Jackson’s a team player.  The Bills could have won with Jackson.  That’s not to say Tre’Davious White might not have changed things – a play here or there, and who knows? 

6. Seems like Gabriel Davis needs a bigger role in this offense.  He’s a poor-man’s Mike Evans, and Mike Evans is a baller.

7.  The fake punt seemed to have no chance whatsoever.  Any one of three defenders might have made the tackle.  That’s a lousy fake punt.  Either the Xs and Os were simply wrong, or the Bills didn’t have players on the field who could execute them.  Either way, the coaches should have known they were running a play that wasn’t likely to succeed.  The Bills would have had a better chance just going for it with their regular offense.  Still, the play didn’t cost the Bills. 

The 2021 Bills have been disappointing so far.  They clearly haven’t taken the next step, at least not yet, and it feels like a big step.  There are four games to be played, and three wins should get them into the playoffs.   The playoffs is where next steps are truly important.   

GO BILLS!

On the TD jackson and wallace both went with Evans so... i'm gonna go ahead and assume edmunds was hung out to dry there.  I seriously doubt they'd run a single high safety look and have a LB in 1x1 coverage with a WR, so something was busted there.  

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks you and BTB.  I didn't watch many replays, and I didn't understand that.   So, maybe Jackson DID cost the Bills the game.  White might have been there.  

Oh, well.  

It's just hard seeing the Bills get close but lose important games this year.   Tennessee, New England, Tampa Bay.  Win 2 out of 3, and the Bills are 9-4.   Tough. 

You missed the horrible one out of that list - Jags. Beat two from those four and, as you say, we're nine from four. We should have beaten the Jags. We should have beaten Tampa. Titans was slot on a slip and Patriots on bad drops. In a way it's promising that we have not been playing near our best but could easily be 11-1. But we're not, because we need to be nearer our best to get over the line. Can we get back to the AFCCG? If we have too many quarters like the first two yesterday, no chance. If we have more like the second half (though we were heavily reliant on Josh) then we do have a chance.

To repeat what I said on the game thread - it's the the hope that gets you.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Oh, well.  

It was Johnson. I've got a breakdown of the play here if interested.

12 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

It was Johnson. I've got a breakdown of the play here if interested.

Thanks.  That's great!   So Edmunds WAS supposed to be shallow there, and that also explains why he seemed to be so surprised seeing Perriman slashing free across the middle like that.   In that case, Edmunds did about everything he could do.  Good for him.  Good recognition.  

I also read your comment about his tackle/miss in the hole.   He stops all the time.   He doesn't hit; he's a read and react guy, and I don't think he ever will change.   

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks.  That's great!   So Edmunds WAS supposed to be shallow there, and that also explains why he seemed to be so surprised seeing Perriman slashing free across the middle like that.   In that case, Edmunds did about everything he could do.  Good for him.  Good recognition.  

I also read your comment about his tackle/miss in the hole.   He stops all the time.   He doesn't hit; he's a read and react guy, and I don't think he ever will change.   

You are right. When he has to make profile tackles he continually stops his feet and lunges. That's just who he is and it'll never change.

43 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

You missed the horrible one out of that list - Jags. Beat two from those four and, as you say, we're nine from four. We should have beaten the Jags. We should have beaten Tampa. Titans was slot on a slip and Patriots on bad drops. In a way it's promising that we have not been playing near our best but could easily be 11-1. But we're not, because we need to be nearer our best to get over the line. Can we get back to the AFCCG? If we have too many quarters like the first two yesterday, no chance. If we have more like the second half (though we were heavily reliant on Josh) then we do have a chance.

To repeat what I said on the game thread - it's the the hope that gets you.

A "slot on a slip"?  Man, who taught you English?    😃  Yeah, I agree, this is a good team that isn't playing well.  There's still time. 

Ah, I see!   Lost on a slip.   Yes, it was.  We'll never know if Allen would have scored if he'd kept his footing.  I thought "Slot on a slip" was some great fan phrase from the UK.  

Edited by Shaw66

1 hour ago, 34-78-83 said:

I'm trying to find one of the reporter tweets about it, but this is not questionable.

Post game, McDermott explained it was a "rub route" and the DB who was supposed to follow got scraped

Romo said the same thing during the broadcast "that wasn't Edmunds assignment, he was helping out".

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm trying to find one of the reporter tweets about it, but this is not questionable.

Post game, McDermott explained it was a "rub route" and the DB who was supposed to follow got scraped

Romo said the same thing during the broadcast "that wasn't Edmunds assignment, he was helping out".

Thanks.   As I said in response to someone else, then Edmunds identified the problem well and respondes, just couldn't make the play.  

Someone, I'm guessing in the Boston Globe, said McD should have gone for the TD at the end of regulation.  Win it or lose, but don't give Brady another chance. 

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks.   As I said in response to someone else, then Edmunds identified the problem well and respondes, just couldn't make the play.  

Someone, I'm guessing in the Boston Globe, said McD should have gone for the TD at the end of regulation.  Win it or lose, but don't give Brady another chance. 

Yes you go for the win.......  two yards for the first down and 7 for a TD, that's all they needed and yes there was time on the clock, but likew they did vs. Tenn & NE, they were not prepared, didn't have a play ready, when you absolutely need it.  Bad coaching imo.

As for the game winning TD, this is the same excuses we got when Henry ran 76 for a TD, Fornette's TD or last weeks TD 64 yard TD.......  Always an excuse, and sorry doesn't cut it.

Have we had one big play or easy 50 yard TD this year?  No a couple of great long passes, but that is about it.

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

A "slot on a slip"?  Man, who taught you English?    😃  Yeah, I agree, this is a good team that isn't playing well.  There's still time. 

Ah, I see!   Lost on a slip.   Yes, it was.  We'll never know if Allen would have scored if he'd kept his footing.  I thought "Slot on a slip" was some great fan phrase from the UK.  

More like a phrase from someone who needed to go out so typed quickly and muddled up my words! 😁 Think I said nine from four instead of nine AND four too.

6 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Things I saw:

GO BILLS!

Edmunds said he wasn't where he should have been but Jackson looks like he played the wrong coverage...no way Edmunds is expected to carry Perriman up the field

34 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Should have been going for it from the 1 yard line on 1st and goal after Diggs got mauled in the endzone

5 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I have found myself in almost the exact same place this season in terms of how upset (or not) I get after the losses.  Maybe because I've been down this road so many times ... but maybe because last year's losses got me so upset I'd stew for days and days to the point where people I know were commenting on it.  That's certainly not a unique feeling around here (being upset at a loss) but it's not exactly healthy either.  This season I've rolled with the losses (agree on the Jax one tho) with real comparative ease.

Is there something wrong with me ???  I'm not any less of a fan now than I've been the previous 33 years - maybe even more so now.  It's weird, but something has changed for me.  Maybe just not letting myself be a slave to the outcome of the Bills maybe?  A pandemic making me feel that life is too short sometimes?  Maybe finally finding some zen place in the back of my reptilian brain?  Or maybe realizing how lucky I am to be retiring early next year?

Whatever the reason ...  it's definitely different this season.  🤔

Thanks as always for sharing where you're at Shaw!  Always appreciate your efforts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't begrudge Edmunds for the TD.  Perriman should have been covered already. But Edmunds not finishing that tackle on Fournette might've been the game. His run support skills are waining.

Gabe Davis needs to Immediately become our WR2. Limit Sanders's snaps now. The structure of the fake punt was destined to fail. Not going for 4th & 3 was a fail on McD. Dane played commendable and will be a good depth cb when Tre returns. Love Harry's motor but Ed deserves a true 1T next to him. Coaching has to improve. Daboll's runs on 1st down are so frustrating. I think we'll limp to 10-7 and be the 7th WC. But this OL is not getting us to LA.

49 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

More like a phrase from someone who needed to go out so typed quickly and muddled up my words! 😁 Think I said nine from four instead of nine AND four too.

Yeah, I thought nine from four was how rugby records are stated!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.