Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

1 hour ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

I think I'm plagiarizing myself old man #2.  I've been saying it for some time here.

This forums conservatives are all old.  Maybe it's meaningless.  Could be.  But maybe it speaks to your demographics country wide.  Another hint that in 10 or 15 years, if you don't get your ***** together.   Your party is f'd.

The old rule is that people get more conservative as they age. It held true for the Silent Generation, Boomers, and Gen X. But it’s not true with Millennials. They are either staying the same or even getting more liberal.

Millennials are shattering the oldest rule in politics  Western conservatives are at risk from generations of voters who are no longer moving to the right as they age

“By my calculations, members of Britain’s “silent generation”, born between 1928 and 1945, were five percentage points less conservative than the national average at age 35, but around five points more conservative by age 70. The “baby boomer” generation traced the same path, and “Gen X”, born between 1965 and 1980, are now following suit.

Millennials — born between 1981 and 1996 — started out on the same trajectory, but then something changed. The shift has striking implications for the UK’s Conservatives and US Republicans, who can no longer simply rely on their base being replenished as the years pass.”

“The data is clear that millennials are not simply going to age into conservatism. To reverse a cohort effect, you have to do something for that cohort. Home ownership continues to prove more elusive for millennials than for earlier generations at the same age in both countries. With houses increasingly difficult to afford, a good place to start would be to help more millennials get on to the housing ladder. Serious proposals for reforming two of the world’s most expensive childcare systems would be another.

UK millennials and their “Gen Z” younger cousins will probably cast more votes than boomers in the next general election. After years of being considered an electoral afterthought, their vote will soon be pivotal. Without drastic changes to both policy and messaging, that could consign conservative parties to an increasingly distant second place.”

• Dislike 1

On 12/6/2021 at 8:43 AM, SoCal Deek said:

These are all stupid little squabbles over stupid little countries stirred up by stupid little ‘leaders’ who seem desperate to send young men off to die. There’s been no significant border changes in the last century and yet here we are with countless graves piled up and countless treasures wasted. My two cents.

At least the stupid little Putin appeasers are not calling the shots or millions more would enslaved and thousands of more innocent lives wasted 

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

At least the stupid little Putin appeasers are not calling the shots or millions more would enslaved and thousands of more innocent lives wasted 

Ironic as the war mongers just got a crap load of Ukrainians innocent lives wasted. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Unforgiven said:

"Your side is the right.  100%.  No doubt.  Every single thing you post screams jaded old man watching fox all day."

One of many bad things about liberals is they have zero originality. Every single attack on the right is plagiarism. 

Dumb clones unable to think  for themselves or think critically and completely unable to draw logical conclusions.

Lol...like the conclusion that anyone not a leftard has to watch fox news or be a trump voter.

Unlike the clone side where clones watch cnn and vote for biden...because.... dumb clone.

We have no originality? Have you READ what passes for “humor” in the Babylon Bee?

32 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Sure hope this doesn't happen 

Here here.  Like the ecological disaster of blowing the nore stream pipeline while it was active.  

4 minutes ago, B-Man said:

They walked right into it. If that's the case.  As soon as they followers into Russia, they were sitting ducks.  Then the flank.  Hope Ukraine has well positioned troops on that border with Belarus.  

45 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

The old rule is that people get more conservative as they age. It held true for the Silent Generation, Boomers, and Gen X. But it’s not true with Millennials. They are either staying the same or even getting more liberal.

Millennials are shattering the oldest rule in politics  Western conservatives are at risk from generations of voters who are no longer moving to the right as they age

“By my calculations, members of Britain’s “silent generation”, born between 1928 and 1945, were five percentage points less conservative than the national average at age 35, but around five points more conservative by age 70. The “baby boomer” generation traced the same path, and “Gen X”, born between 1965 and 1980, are now following suit.

Millennials — born between 1981 and 1996 — started out on the same trajectory, but then something changed. The shift has striking implications for the UK’s Conservatives and US Republicans, who can no longer simply rely on their base being replenished as the years pass.”

“The data is clear that millennials are not simply going to age into conservatism. To reverse a cohort effect, you have to do something for that cohort. Home ownership continues to prove more elusive for millennials than for earlier generations at the same age in both countries. With houses increasingly difficult to afford, a good place to start would be to help more millennials get on to the housing ladder. Serious proposals for reforming two of the world’s most expensive childcare systems would be another.

UK millennials and their “Gen Z” younger cousins will probably cast more votes than boomers in the next general election. After years of being considered an electoral afterthought, their vote will soon be pivotal. Without drastic changes to both policy and messaging, that could consign conservative parties to an increasingly distant second place.”

Likely has to do with marriage rates, lack of procreation and careers. 

Lots of millennials (compared to prior generations) aren’t married, have no kids and/or are struggling to get by professionally.  

Im not married, and I don’t have kids yet, but I own a business and have a young niece and nephew that I’m active in their lives. I leaned right prior, but that made me solid red for the rest of my life.  

Sidenote:  Dating is interesting when 80% of women in their 20’s/30’s identify as liberal and 70% of men of that age identify as conservative. 

Anecdotally, I find that most women aren’t actually liberal.  They think they are, but they end up agreeing with me and/or are persuaded easily to my views.  Which leads back to the marriage rates topic and single women being an absolute rock solid voting bloc for Dems.  

If those trends continue, Republicans (they should anyway) will have to pivot heavy to Hispanics and Muslims, while continuing to focus on making inroads amongst black men given the far left push of Dems on social issues. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Lol you are insane old man.  I've never supported any such thing.  And that's what's wrong with YOUR SIDE.  You watch fox all day and think the left is a certain way.  

uh oh. Someone is transphobic. You are now a nazi. I don’t make the rules 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Likely has to do with marriage rates, lack of procreation and careers. 

It’s actually driven by economics. The things that were commonplace for previous generations: affordable homes, education, families, etc. are out of reach or extremely expensive for many millennials. 

Where people of previous generations could get good career jobs and begin accumulating wealth in their early 20’s, that’s not how the economy works anymore. 

People used to get more conservative as they accumulated wealth. Millennials aren’t accumulating wealth at the rates or with the ease of previous generations and that drives their politics. 

22 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Anecdotally, I find that most women aren’t actually liberal.  They think they are, but they end up agreeing with me and/or are persuaded easily to my views.

You look like Channing Tatum or something?

13 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

you haven't met the right woman.  keep looking.

This is prior experience.. I’m currently in a relationship.  

However, there is something to be said for the “pick me” types.  Those who just agree with what they think you’re looking for.  

I just don’t think women are as liberal as we think they are.   Typically they move right after getting married and/or having kids.   

My personal belief is that they likely lean slight left and then as life goes on and a growing number reach their late 30’s/40’s and aren’t married and/or childless, that view becomes hardened. 

Which is what we’re seeing now. 

Women, specifically black women and single white women are an unmatched political force of a voting bloc right now. 

8 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

It’s actually driven by economics. The things that were commonplace for previous generations: affordable homes, education, families, etc. are out of reach or extremely expensive for many millennials. 

Where people of previous generations could get good career jobs and begin accumulating wealth in their early 20’s, that’s not how the economy works anymore. 

People used to get more conservative as they accumulated wealth. Millennials aren’t accumulating wealth at the rates or with the ease of previous generations and that drives their politics. 

Yup - all intertwined, and only seems to be getting worse for Gen Z. 

Edited by SCBills

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

This is prior experience.. I’m currently in a relationship.  

However, there is something to be said for the “pick me” types.  Those who just agree with what they think you’re looking for.  

I just don’t think women are as liberal as we think they are.   Typically they move right after getting married and/or having kids.   

My personal belief is that they likely lean slight left and then as life goes on and a growing number reach their late 30’s/40’s and aren’t married and/or childless, that view becomes hardened. 

Which is what we’re seeing now. 

Women, specifically black women and single white women are an unmatched political force of a voting bloc right now. 

not my experience at all.  Plenty of strong, resilient women.  They're the ones you want imo.  life gets tough at times and it's huge to have a fighter on your side. All the women in my family and in laws except for one aberrant branch, are at least as liberal as I am and they're pretty headstrong and pretty successful.  I'm not going to generalize women's attitudes any more than that.

14 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

You look like Channing Tatum or something?

There’s actually a really interesting conversation to be had on dating culture for Millennials & Gen Z, specifically with apps. 

According to studies, something like 80% of women swipe right on the same 20% of men. 

Clearly the impacts of that statistic have ripple effects that go far beyond just dating as most people in cities now rely on these apps to meet others.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

Gee, I wonder why it's getting harder to accumulate wealth these days?

I wonder why marxist "fair share" slogans work on them so well?

It couldn't possibly be because a large percentage of young people incur massive debt in pursuit of mostly useless degrees while getting a side of indoctrination by woke marxist professors before they even step foot in the "real world"

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

not my experience at all.  Plenty of strong, resilient women.  They're the ones you want imo.  life gets tough at times and it's huge to have a fighter on your side. All the women in my family and in laws except for one aberrant branch, are at least as liberal as I am and they're pretty headstrong and pretty successful.  I'm not going to generalize women's attitudes any more than that.

I straight up will not date someone who holds socially progressive views.  

Tax policy, border policy, foreign policy etc.. sure. 

However we live in different times culturally than our parents. 

There’s zero chance we could raise a child together and agree on the values we wish to teach them. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I straight up will not date someone who holds socially progressive views.  

Tax policy, border policy, foreign policy etc.. sure. 

However we live in different times culturally than our parents. 

There’s zero chance we could raise a child together and agree on the values we wish to teach them. 

you must be older than I was when married in my mid 20's.  before that, politics had no effect on dating.  Marriage, yes.  Dating, no.