Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

6 hours ago, SCBills said:

Why?

Huh. This embedded tweet still works.

As of about three hours ago, you have yo be logged in to twitter to read or view anything. Even embedded tweets on other websites.

Musk is going to do what he does I guess. 

Edited by Coffeesforclosers
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/28/2023 at 4:17 PM, John from Riverside said:

This is just my personal opinion, but based Intel I’ve seen in the past

There will eventually be a line drawn in the sand and lions will be redrawn like they were in the past, possibly with Russia, gaining some ground

Then Ukraine will take up a defensive posture like they had in the past, and will start to rebuild

We will continue to find them with defensive weapons because that’s what’s good for the military industrial complex, and we want Ukraine to be our voice in the region

I dont think we wanted them as our voice, it just worked out that way.  I know we first blew the whistle that Russia was going to invade but a year before that I don't think we expected all out war.  Despite Crimea and the ongoing fighting in the east I think the invasion was a bit of a shock.

Edited by L Ron Burgundy

I see on Twitter the Ukrainians are saying the Russians are gonna blow up the nuke plant tonight.  Russians are saying the Ukrainians are doing it.  Either way. Hope it doesn't happen. 

23 hours ago, Tiberius said:

@B-Man You ready to blame Biden for this? 

Who benefits.  How did the spring offensive go?  Who blew Nordstrom.  

18 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

I see on Twitter the Ukrainians are saying the Russians are gonna blow up the nuke plant tonight.  Russians are saying the Ukrainians are doing it.  Either way. Hope it doesn't happen. 

Who benefits.  How did the spring offensive go?  Who blew Nordstrom.  

You do realize that the counter offensive has barely started and that Ukraine has yet to commit their main (NATO trained) forces yet, right?

Also, nobody would benefit from the destruction of the nuclear plant but it would be a significant problem for Ukraine. 

14 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

You do realize that the counter offensive has barely started and that Ukraine has yet to commit their main (NATO trained) forces yet, right?

Also, nobody would benefit from the destruction of the nuclear plant but it would be a significant problem for Ukraine. 

Are you getting battlefield intelligence reports from some credible source on the ground?  I ask because there's been little to no official statements about the composition of forces committed to combat.  And not much news about the  offensive other than vague statements about progress being "slow".

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Are you getting battlefield intelligence reports from some credible source on the ground?  I ask because there's been little to no official statements about the composition of forces committed to combat.  And not much news about the  offensive other than vague statements about progress being "slow".

Mostly just looking at news from those with experience with war talking about what to expect based on what we know, and the OSINT community has been a very good at documenting some specifics on the battlefield. I don’t watch TV news and imagine its brand of infotainment isn’t good at war coverage. 

Due to fog of war and the need to push their side’s narrative, I generally treat anything directly from the lines, especially from the Russians or Ukrainians themselves with a hefty dose of skepticism unless it’s been independently verified.

Here are a couple of articles that help ground expectations around the counteroffensive:

Ukraine right to be cautious with counter-offensive, top NATO official says (Reuters, July 3rd)

Ukraine counter-offensive will be long and bloody, says US Gen Mark Milley (BBC, July 1st)

Ukrainian Counter-offensive is making mixed progress (The Economist, June 14th)

There’s also claims I’ve seen that Russia has lost half its fighting effectiveness but those seem to come from a UK official, so I’m not sure how much of that is true versus trying to boost morale. 

Bottom line as far as I’ve seen: Ukraine is still probing Russian lines for weaknesses and where to commit their main forces. Since it’s Russia’s turn to be on the defense, this is going to be much more difficult for Ukraine than what we’ve seen so far. Especially given Russia’s entrenchment and minefields. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChiGoose said:

The last actual reporting on it, a large mechanical division followed Wagner into Russia and got sprung on.  Almost nothing but speculation from war hawks since 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ChiGoose said:

So . . . . . . . 

The walls are closing?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Chris farley said:

The last actual reporting on it, a large mechanical division followed Wagner into Russia and got sprung on.  Almost nothing but speculation from war hawks since 

I admittedly had not seen that. Do you have a link?