Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

17 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

No true retribution is what you see and read on here every single day. Open your fricking eyes. 
And it’s classic that you go with there’s nothing we could have done. Sure! Hilarious 

Then what buddy?  You tell me since I'm in the dark here.  

Threaten all out war?  Nukes?  What?  A politely worded letter?  A box of salted caramels?   

18 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Deek would've brought us peace in our time! 

But here we are stuck with demented fool Biden.

It's so easy to imitate them isn't it?  Lol!

32 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

image.thumb.png.41c6bc98ef940b8023c7beb6d735e448.png

Refresh my memory on how many people were convicted of corruption after Shokin was fired, again?  Surely Shokin was, right?  Seeing as how it was Barry's policy and all...

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ALF said:

Ukraine lived and suffered under Soviet rule for decades , they would rather die then do that again.

Exactly.   Righties discussing this cannot seem to comprehend this.  I have family who are still around that lived under the Soviets.  Their stories of life back then are the most interesting discussions I've had in my life.  And they, like almost all people in former satellite countries,  despise Russia with a fervor most Americans cannot understand. Ukraine isn't 100% the same but they certainly see what their neighbors have and want to emulate that.

12 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Deek would've brought us peace in our time! 

But here we are stuck with demented fool Biden.

What Russia wanted was assurances NATO wouldn't park tactical weapons in Ukraine right across the border and in exchange Russia would reciprocate on their side of the border.  This was clearly articulated in discussions which were attended by officials from Washington. Is that point of contention such a show stopper?  Deescalate and remove offensive weapons from the border.

Is avoiding that deal worth sacrificing 1/2 million lives and blowing $100 billion of borrowed money?

Of course the response from the war hawks is we can't trust Putin to keep his word.  But it's not his word.  It's an easily verifiable and visible arrangement.

What many are missing is this conflict is a mere sideshow and a diversion from what most of the rest of the world prefers. Negotiating mutually beneficial arrangements.  And outside of the European vassal states the majority are looking to disengage from our 20 ton truck doesn't need road manners foreign policy.  The consequences of this are much of the world is in the process of accelerating arrangements with other nations without the US being dealt into the deal.  The BRICS alliance, the belt and road iniative, shanghai cooperative organization, energy deals in the Middle East, the Saudi's moving away support of US interests in the region, and most threatening China spreading their influence across the planet with business deals and economic development while we engage in perpetual conflict.  The worst part of it is how so many are oblivious to it all.

Two things I cannot understand.

1. What's in it for Putin? Even if he had "conquered" Ukraine, how does that make life any better for Russia? For Russians? For Ukrainians? Perhaps some small percentage of Russian speaking Ukrainians in the far eastern region would be happy, but that's it. Was it all for the ego of Putin, to be known as the man who reconstructed Peter the Great's Empire? We may dismiss the idea that Russia was somehow frightened that Ukraine would invade. That they'd join NATO and exert soft economic influence to make Russia more democratic? More ... gay? (the ultimate irony: the gay West kicking his country's manly ass). What possible motivation? There is no rational one.

2. What inspires these Putin apologists in the West? I get the pacifist tendency. But these are selective pacifists. Do these people really think that Putin has a point 'in attempting - in the most aggressive manner possible - to keep the former Russian Empire culturally conservative/orthodox Christian? What is "Christian" about Putin and his regime? What is worth preserving in that sick culture? It's not like westernized attitudes will wash away all their Tolstoy and Tchaikovsky and the Bolshoi Ballet. What is the defense of Putin's actions? I'm not seeing any defense at all, which is different than saying the United States shouldn't get involved. Clearly some comments cross the line into an implicit (or even explicit) defense of Russia and its actions.

6 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

What Russia wanted was assurances NATO wouldn't park tactical weapons in Ukraine right across the border and in exchange Russia would reciprocate on their side of the border. 

This assumes that there is some scenario in which NATO would attack Russia. Which is preposterous Putin nonsense.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Then what buddy?  You tell me since I'm in the dark here.  

Threaten all out war?  Nukes?  What?  A politely worded letter?  A box of salted caramels?   

It's so easy to imitate them isn't it?  Lol!

You guys crack me up. Somehow Russia hasn’t attacked Ukraine for years, but suddenly, like magic, this dolt of an old weak man becomes President and lo and behold the troops are amassed at the border. I’m guessing you also thought the virus came from a farmers market. Sheeesh! 

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You guys crack me up. Somehow Russia hasn’t attacked Ukraine for years, but suddenly, like magic, this dolt of an old weak man becomes President and lo and behold the troops are amassed at the border. I’m guessing you also thought the virus came from a farmers market. Sheeesh! 

So nothing.   I thought so.  

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

So is Ukraine de-nazified yet? 

Asking for a friend. 

Yes, this post is ironic. 

Is your friend...dumb?

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yeah.  You'd think Putin would attack when his "puppet" was in Office and would (theoretically) put up no resistance.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

They come up with some real humdingers, these Biden loyalists.   🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Do you just view everything bad in the entire world as the fault of the Dems?

Just quick reactionary no-thought commentary: bad = Dems fault. Good = GOP. 

Not everything in the world revolves around the President of the US.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, ChiGoose said:

Do you just view everything bad in the entire world as the fault of the Dems?

Just quick reactionary no-thought commentary: bad = Dems fault. Good = GOP. 

Not everything in the world revolves around the President of the US.

You obviously don’t read my posts. I’m far from a partisan. I do however firmly believe that our permanent government class is completely out of control. At this particular point in time, yes, the Democrats are more likely to be aligned with that permanent class….but it swings back and forth and there are still many national Republican figures who’ll fall right in line if it suits their reelection needs…Lindsay Graham comes immediately to mind. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You obviously don’t read my posts. I’m far from a partisan. I do however firmly believe that our permanent government class is completely out of control. At this particular point in time, yes, the Democrats are more likely to be aligned with that permanent class….but it swings back and forth and there are still many national Republican figures who’ll fall right in line if it suits their reelection needs…Lindsay Graham comes immediately to mind. 

I mean, most of what I see is reactionary contrarianism, goalpost moving, and strawman arguments. It’s kinda difficult to determine what you actually stand for.

Don’t tell me you believe in the uniparty BS…

• Eyeroll 1

37 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

If you had read the article you posted, you would know that the US is not a signatory to that treaty…

You beat me to it. The headline gave it away: “despite a treaty signed by many allies …”

Q. what relevant treaty the Russia is a party to? 
A. The Geneva Conventions

12 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

You beat me to it. The headline gave it away: “despite a treaty signed by many allies …”

Q. what relevant treaty the Russia is a party to? 
A. The Geneva Conventions

I think there’s a very good debate to be had about the cluster munitions (on the one hand, they would be very helpful for clearing Russian trenches and defense, but on the other hand, duds pose a lethal risk to civilians post-battle), but to frame it around a treaty we aren’t party to seems disingenuous.