Week 10 Thursday Night Football: Ravens at Dolphins, 7:20 on Fox

Hapless Bills Fan

It's all well and good that everyone's getting an upset hung on them, but the way Meyer just nonchalantly mapped out how to shut down our offense on a bar napkin before the game... then proceeded  to back it up on gameday, leaves me feeling more queasy about our fluke loss than the others. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

It's all well and good that everyone's getting an upset hung on them, but the way Meyer just nonchalantly mapped out how to shut down our offense on a bar napkin before the game... then proceeded  to back it up on gameday, leaves me feeling more queasy about our fluke loss than the others. 

We need Knox back and go back to short, quick slants to Diggs. Diggs should get 10 targets a game. He is difficult to cover and rarely if ever drops the ball. Teams are taking away deep passes.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

I thought that game was “fixed” for BAL? That’s all I read for about 8 pages. 

You're blind from your position. If you don't see the official's influencing game outcomes, I don't know what to tell you, pal.

If somebody wants to affect the outcome of a betting sport, you swing it toward the least expected outcome. In this case it was obviously a Dolphins double-digit victory. Would you have expected that? Neither would the smart money, so it's a win.

Whatever... I hope I'm wrong, but it appears as though I'm not.

9 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

What makes this game special is that Sammy Watkins arguably lost it all on his own, possibly responsible for not catching one TD and fumbling away another. 

Nah, any more than Beasley or Davis did.  If you take away the 7 points from the Sammy fumble the Fins still win; Lamar Jackson had a fumble it was just luck and heads up play by his OLman they recovered; he threw a pick from the MIA 7 to seal the deal.  One play changes, the rest of the game changes

But the Ravens offense most certainly laid a wet fart and Sammy was the little solid piece in the center of the skid mark.

And WHAT a coincidence that just when the Dolphins finally scored a TD off a Ravens miscue, the refs were shocked, SHOCKED to discover 3 successive penalties for 35 yards to help the Ravens down the field.  The first was legit IMO, even Aikman had trouble figuring out what was going on with the 2nd and 3rd.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Jeffbigalls said:

It's not as bad as the loss to the jags, they played on 4 days after playing a full overtime game. 

So did the Dolphins.

9 hours ago, Process said:

Truth is this loss wasn't even that bad because the Ravens have been the most overrated team in the league this entire season. They are an average team that is VERY fortunate to be 6-3.

But you're looking at the losses with the belief that the Bills are a better team then the Ravens and so their loss was more surprising.  I also share this belief but to a neutral person who doesn't root for the Bills or Ravens the loss to the Jaguars and the Ravens loss to Miami look equally bad and unexpected.  Just like when I saw that Denver led Dallas in the 4th 30 - 0 I almost fell out of my chair.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

I didn't see the game so far but I find it really funny that there is already a thread at finheaven about making playoffs if they win out... I guess that all fanbases are pretty similar at the end of the day :)

Thank goodness we have the tiebreaker with Miami then.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Is this what you're talking about as the "cocktail napkin"?

He pointed to things that Miami was doing (cover 0, or "6 sub no deep") that had elements of what Pittsburgh did as well.  So there's a couple of components there:

1) "then it's just a matter of whether you can hang in there" - a lot of teams can't.

2) but it's also a matter of can we adjust and do something else, when teams can?

I'm gonna link this in to the Urban Meyer interview thread because I think it's a topic worth discussing.

Fundamentally the question is: are we now a spread offense?  Is that our offensive identity?  Because it wasn't last year - we did adjust what we tried offensively to our opponents, and I'm not sure I would have called us a spread offense.  But I think it might be accurate this season.  I've noticed that when we are in a (1,1) set, a lot of the time we're still effectively 4 or 5 wide because we have the back and the TE (or at least one) lined up as a WR.

If it is correct, Urban Meyer (and other recent college crossover coaches) have an advantage against us in that if there's one offense he would know how to shut down, it would be a spread offense.

3 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

You're blind from your position. If you don't see the official's influencing game outcomes, I don't know what to tell you, pal.

If somebody wants to affect the outcome of a betting sport, you swing it toward the least expected outcome. In this case it was obviously a Dolphins double-digit victory. Would you have expected that? Neither would the smart money, so it's a win.

Whatever... I hope I'm wrong, but it appears as though I'm not.

if you have any actual evidence to share showing NFL games are being fixed and NFL officials are involved, please share, pal.

7 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

As if he would take time out to anything with a napkin during his bar efforts …

well actually 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Shocked 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.