Joe Buscaglia Shares The Root Cause of The Bills Struggles and Why It’s a Major Issue

JohnNord

1 hour ago, Governor said:

Ok, so if this is true, that explains why KC drafted a RB and signed multiple other backs through last season. They were trying to get out in front of it because the league figured them out.

If KC knew, and we knew, why do we still have 2 bad backs and a terrible run-blocking line?

That tells me McBeane thinks we’re still at least 1 draft away from being good.

tells me mcbean is clueless.  He has burnt 2 second round picks on an average and not starting DE.  Instead we could have a RB and all pro G/C.   He also refuses to trade for needed parts this year and resigned turnstile Felicanio.  

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

They both have problems. Said in many other post's today.

The backs are not great, the line was horrendous yesterday. They are not equal or similar problems. If the line is fixed the running game will be fine. The running backs can't fix the line.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

The backs are not great, the line was horrendous yesterday. They are not equal or similar problems. If the line is fixed the running game will be fine. The running backs can't fix the line.

Singletary and moss combined only once 100 yards rushing in a game past 3 years. Singletary 3 years moss 2 years.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

You want to watch those backs run into a brick wall at the line?

Our OL cannot open holes.  Barry Sanders wouldn't run well on this team.

They are blitzing the Bills to stop the pass.  Two backs gives you a swing pass option and a back to block.  The O line will get Allen hurt.   This was not about the run but about pass protection.  

22 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

tells me mcbean is clueless.  He has burnt 2 second round picks on an average and not starting DE.  Instead we could have a RB and all pro G/C.   He also refuses to trade for needed parts this year and resigned turnstile Felicanio.  

The man who rebuilt the team into a contender is clueless?  RIIIIGHT.

4 minutes ago, Nitro said:

They are blitzing the Bills to stop the pass.  Two backs gives you a swing pass option and a back to block.  The O line will get Allen hurt.   This was not about the run but about pass protection.  

The RBS are poor at that as well swing passes. Singletary lack of speed on passes along Moss. Agree with o-line might get Allen hurt.  O-line is doing really terrible.  Hoping daboll figures something out.

• Eyeroll 1

I agree with Joe B's analysis. 

I'd note the Eagles, behind a makeshift line and backup RBs, have become far more competitive in recent games because of deploying different running schemes and commitment to running the football. A lot. 

That OL and running backs aren't all-world and yesterday against the Chargers, they were routinely grinding out 1st downs. If their defense wasn't so bad, could have won it. 

A real running game can be a thing, but it starts with your plays. 

27 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

3.6x3=first down every series.

Except it doesnt work like that.  It works more like this...

(5:31) (No Huddle, Shotgun) Z.Moss up the middle to JAX 6 for -3 yards (J.Allen).

1st & Goal at JAX 3

7 Yard Run

(:21) (Shotgun) Z.Moss up the middle to BUF 29 for 7 yards (R.Ford).

3rd & 20 at BUF 22

2 Yard Run

(10:59) Z.Moss left end to JAX 25 for 2 yards (R.Ford).

2nd & 5 at JAX 27

His good run came on 3rd and 20 for 7 yards. Nobody cared about a running back taking a hand off on 3rd and 20. Singletary did way better though.

I realize its only 3 carries but my point is that generally these guys are getting stuffed or picking up 1 yard when they do get carries.  Its hard to keep giving them carries when they know the oline is going to open holes for them.  They cant run against a light box for goodness sake.  Josh is their best chance to move the ball.

They can't count on either back to pick up 2nd or 3rd and short.  They cant rely on them to pick up some yards on first down either.  More often than not they are getting stuffed and putting us behind the sticks.  Mostly this is on the O line IMO.  The problem becomes is even more added pressure on Josh to pick up 3rd and longs all the time because the run game keeps putting them behind the sticks.  Until this o line gets fixed this offense is not going to look so hot.

Singletary has been the better back in most games.  I dont know why people keep saying Moss but it isnt true. 

Edited by Scott7975

2019 draft

38. Buffalo Bills (from Jaguars through Raiders):Cody Ford, OT, Oklahoma

2020 draft

2  # 54     BUFA   .J. Epenesa   DE

2   #55     BAL      J.K. Dobbins  rrb

2921 draft

22961Buffalo BillsCarlos Basham Jr., EDGE, Wake Forest

23062Green Bay PackersJosh Myers, C/G, Ohio State

23163Kansas City ChiefsCreed Humphrey, C/G, Oklahoma

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Singletary and moss combined only once 100 yards rushing in a game past 3 years. Singletary 3 years moss 2 years.

Are you arguing there is a running back in the league that would have done well this week behind that line? Your point that we don't run is not an indictment of the RBs but an indication of our play calling. Mark Ingram is 4th in rushing right now for the whole league because running is not a focus for the majority of the league.

On 11/9/2021 at 5:24 AM, Pete said:

Nick Chubb averages 6 yards a carry.  Extrapolate with your simple math

I’m not advocating for running more or that these 2 guys are the answer. Nick Chubb will avg 3.6 too. People here saying Barry Sanders couldn’t run behind this line tell you that no one is good enough. So either we need to find a new O line that works or run different plays that making running easier.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.