Dune

Doc

The 80s version is a fun movie though a little campy. Never watched the SciFi channel mini series version.

The new one is excellent. Feels like a much better adaptation of the book. Only downside is it ended abruptly with a good amount of story left to tell. Like mentioned above it would be nice if it was already in production so we would know it was on the way. I'm not even sure it has been green lit yet so hopefully the box office is decent enough for that to happen.

1 hour ago, Metal Man said:

Only downside is it ended abruptly with a good amount of story left to tell.

Waiting patiently here for the rest of 'Battlefield Earth' to go up on the silver screen.  Travolta's abomination likewise only covered the early part of the book.  Just keep everyone involved in the first movie away from part two. 😁

51 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Waiting patiently here for the rest of 'Battlefield Earth' to go up on the silver screen.  Travolta's abomination likewise only covered the early part of the book.  Just keep everyone involved in the first movie away from part two. 😁

I read that book after seeing the movie.  All I remember is thinking it was an interesting way to continue the story, but no way they'd ever make it into a movie. 

Just now, Just Jack said:

I read that book after seeing the movie.  All I remember is thinking it was an interesting way to continue the story, but no way they'd ever make it into a movie. 

With CGI and a tight script, it would be interesting.  Maybe pare back on the local political intrigue on Earth (Brown Limper Staffor), but emphasize efforts to prevent the outsiders from moving in.  Would also be interesting to see Hubbard's original concept of the Psychlos; 9 foot tall giants.

I went to IMAX over the weekend. I’m very happy with it.

I absolutely hate the David Lynch 1984 version. Horrible casting choices, cheesy costumes, and the second half of the film takes too many liberties with Herbert’s novel.

I’m sure part 2 will get picked up. For any Dune fans, check out Jodorowsky's Dune, a documentary on a great film that was unfortunately never made.

Edited by Rockpile233

I thought it was pretty excellent, but I have not read the novels.

Agree that we had a pretty drastic break without any sequel on the horizon which is tough.

This really should have been a lead-in to an HBO series or something... or been a series itself.  

The Barron was great.  Casting overall seemed well-done.  

Lots of great discussion in the thread.  Thanks.

I never read the book and saw the entire original about 5 years ago, after seeing bits and pieces over the years.  I thought it was a very odd movie at first, but the more time I saw it, the more I liked it.  I thought it was given unfair reviews considering it told the entire story in just over 2 hours, and before CGI was around.

I didn't care for the series so much.  It made Paul look like a weenie.

As for the remake, I liked it.  But thought it was an odd decision to leave out Feyd, unless he's coming in the 2nd part (which still needs to be greenlit, obviously based on the box office success of Part 1).  But again, unlike the original, it has the benefit of being 2 movies and having CGI, not to mention being able to cast a wider net for actors as most of the actors in the original were largely unknowns, except for Jose Ferrer.  

Edited by Doc

Just now, Doc said:

Lots of great discussion in the thread.  Thanks.

I never read the book and saw the entire original about 5 years ago, after seeing bits and pieces over the years.  I thought it was a very odd movie at first, but the more I saw of it, the more I liked it.  I thought it was given unfair reviews considering it told the entire story in just over 2 hours, and before CGI was around.

I didn't care for the series so much.  It made Paul look like a weenie.

As for the remake, I liked it.  But thought it was an odd decision to leave out Feyd, unless he's coming in the 2nd part (which still needs to be greenlit, obviously based on the box office success of Part 1).  But again, unlike the original, it has the benefit of being 2 movies and having CGI, not to mention being able to cast a wider net for actors as most of the actors in the original were largely unknowns, except for Jose Ferrer.  

I personally think Feyd may be eliminated all together. Could be wrong, but I imagine Bautista’s character will fill that role. I don’t necessarily understand it either.

4 hours ago, Rockpile233 said:

I personally think Feyd may be eliminated all together. Could be wrong, but I imagine Bautista’s character will fill that role. I don’t necessarily understand it either.

Seems that way.  Would be odd to leave him out of the first movie entirely only to introduce him in the 2nd. 

Visually great, but drags on. Kids fell asleep. A few teens kept leaving, restless. Saw one person on phone. Mostly older audience in theater too.

Maybe 3 years before we see the sequel; if ever. Not sure if there is enough buzz to make a sequel. Mostly critics pushing this. General populace doesn't seem to be excited. 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Seems that way.  Would be odd to leave him out of the first movie entirely only to introduce him in the 2nd. 

He's a bit more of a renegade, am I right? He could've been off doing something else, but come in for part 2 when he's needed. Paul is obviously going to retaliate against the Harkonnen and the emperor.

I love that they never showed the emperor. He seems to be a lurking monster. 

The main theme throughout the film was misunderstanding and underestimating others. It showed up within every aspect of the story and almost every character. I think Paul was the only character who didn't, but he may be underestimating the emperor with his talk of making a play for the throne.

4 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Visually great, but drags on. Kids fell asleep. A few teens kept leaving, restless. Saw one person on phone. Mostly older audience in theater too.

Maybe 3 years before we see the sequel; if ever. Not sure if there is enough buzz to make a sequel. Mostly critics pushing this. General populace doesn't seem to be excited. 

It seems that you think the general populace is people in your immediate vicinity....

People in my immediate vicinity loved it and can't wait for the sequel. 

I guess we cancel each other out.

Seriously though, it needs two things to happen in order to get part 2 greenlit:

1. Make money

2. Get good reviews

14 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

He's a bit more of a renegade, am I right? He could've been off doing something else, but come in for part 2 when he's needed. Paul is obviously going to retaliate against the Harkonnen and the emperor.

I love that they never showed the emperor. He seems to be a lurking monster. 

The main theme throughout the film was misunderstanding and underestimating others. It showed up within every aspect of the story and almost every character. I think Paul was the only character who didn't, but he may be underestimating the emperor with his talk of making a play for the throne.

It seems that you think the general populace is people in your immediate vicinity....

People in my immediate vicinity loved it and can't wait for the sequel. 

I guess we cancel each other out.

Seriously though, it needs two things to happen in order to get part 2 greenlit:

1. Make money

2. Get good reviews

It also needs for the cast and crew to be scheduled, signed, and available.

It doesn't even have a script yet.

Already talk that they're going to do a time jump and focus on Zendaya as the lead in the sequel. Probably change in writers and director.

Most people don't even know this movie is out in theaters.

Edited by unbillievable

19 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

That’s where I’m at with it. Watched it last night. Fell asleep several times. It looks cool, the cinematography is really good, and that’s something the director is known for. Strong cast but there really isn’t anything that stands out about any of the characters so the performances are just kinda there. I dunno, after it was over my first thought was like, “Welp, that was definitely a movie.” It just kinda meanders aimlessly, there isn’t a whole lot of action. I kept expecting some kind of conflict to break out but there just wasn’t a lot there. No one will ever mistake me for a Dune superfan, but I do enjoy sci-fi stuff here and there, and as an outsider just checking this movie out based on the scale, the cast, and the buzz from the superfans, I was left pretty unimpressed, I guess. 

12 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

It also needs for the cast and crew to be scheduled, signed, and available.

It doesn't even have a script yet.

Already talk that they're going to do a time jump and focus on Zendaya as the lead in the sequel. Probably change in writers and director.

Most people don't even know this movie is out in theaters.

I think this whole post is incorrect except for the Zendaya part

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

That’s where I’m at with it. Watched it last night. Fell asleep several times. It looks cool, the cinematography is really good, and that’s something the director is known for. Strong cast but there really isn’t anything that stands out about any of the characters so the performances are just kinda there. I dunno, after it was over my first thought was like, “Welp, that was definitely a movie.” It just kinda meanders aimlessly, there isn’t a whole lot of action. I kept expecting some kind of conflict to break out but there just wasn’t a lot there. No one will ever mistake me for a Dune superfan, but I do enjoy sci-fi stuff here and there, and as an outsider just checking this movie out based on the scale, the cast, and the buzz from the superfans, I was left pretty unimpressed, I guess. 

You didn't notice a conflict? Not even a little one?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.