Josh Allen 2022 season verdict... OC & DC let him down: 64.5% comp %, 51 TDs, 18 TOs, 97.9 Passer Rating, 313 YPG (offseason assessments page 46 on)

transplantbillsfan

4 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Dude I’ve tried to defend you but no. He did not “play really good.” He made good plays (mostly with his feet) but the defense won the game again today. You’re just a JA suck artist. Do you even like the team? Or just another JA stan stinking up the board.

Which part of what I said was incorrect? That 1st Interception was on Allen. Period.

What did you see for the other 2?

I saw at least 4 blatant drops, including a TD. Did you not see those? It was a cold snowy day and it showed in our passing game, so Allen took over with his legs and played really well given these circumstances.

As I already stated in the changed title of the OP and in the post you quote Allen’s not winning league MVP, but we don't care.

You seem incredibly unhappy for the fan of a team that just convincingly won an NFL game by 2 scores. Do you even like the team?

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Do wonder if the int's in today's game are the result of him reading too many of his press clippings and feels he can go out there and just throw it and it will be completed.  He needs these occasional humbling moments to settle him down some.

I doubt it . Passes get tipped sometimes. The one to start the second half I felt he waited too long to release it. Other than that kind of flukish rather than bad throws. 

5 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Agreed. He played poorly today. At home against a bad opponent and did not show up. The MVP s*** can stop along with this thread.

Dude I’ve tried to defend you but no. He did not “play really good.” He made good plays (mostly with his feet) but the defense won the game again today. You’re just a JA suck artist. Do you even like the team? Or just another JA stan stinking up the board.

Take it easy man. Lol

6 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Yep.  Colts loss today drops Taylor for me.

Updated:

Rodgers

Allen

Kupp

Taylor 

Brady 

Burrow has at least entered the chat

He threw 3 picks today (1 of which was bad the other 2 were deflections) but he was 90 yards and 2 TDs on the ground - again everything the Bills do goes threw him no one player means more to his team right now then Allen except for Rodgers.  

And I won't use the excuse that weather in almost all his home games has had impacts on games nope not going to do it its happened but I'm not going to bother including today not optimal but I'm not going to even mention it.  

I have it:

Allen

Kupp

Sherbert

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Worse weather conditions, shorter yardage of a pass… it was an unnecessary bullet. That was 100% on Josh IMO…. He is great, but he had a rough game passing. He’s still ridiculously difficult to stop even with an off game through the air. 

Yep, can’t absolve Josh of throwing poorly today.  Hope this team learns from these bad half’s of football like this first half , first half against the Bucs , and the entire jags and first pats games !   Hope Josh learns.  He was so successful the prior week and the.n this was like a 180 reversion to not taking what’s given or being patient.   Worse is Daboll ignoring the run in bad weather in the first place.   I just can’t get over calling that pass to Dawkins from the one on first and goal from the falcons one yard line !  It’s not like Josh has never made a bad decision and attempted to force a ball in to someone covered.  The very next play we ran it in, but what if that pass had been picked for some reason ?  Just no need to attempt that against a bad team. 

He won't get MVP and there's a couple others who probably deserve it more right now especially after today, but how many more records did he break today with the two rushing TD's? I believe I heard he's the first QB with at least 6+ rushing TD's in his first four seasons, plus the one about fastest to 100 passing TDs and 30 rushing.

He had a horrible day and still broke multiple records while helping us to the playoffs again. Just incredible. Hey remember when Alex Van Pelt was our starter?

3 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

He was great on the ground today but franchises do not sign a RB for $258m. His heart and toughness got us pass what was a poor team but a performance like that in the Play Offs and we're out. A performance like the second half at the Bucs or at the Pats? Then we have a chance of the Super Bowl.

This is a point if it happens week in and week out, but he put up 300 passing yards against our nemesis last week...

Just can't really stand stuff like the "we didn't pay that much for a RB" quips when he's clearly doing it all - he's got 4,000 and 34 through the air through a genuine 16 game season. Quite the running back considering those are still better than Kelly passing numbers...

I think a better way to phrase it is that he has talent to just punch in a few cheat codes and still rush for multiple scores and carry the team on his back even during a bad passing day.

5 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Yep, can’t absolve Josh of throwing poorly today.  Hope this team learns from these bad half’s of football like this first half , first half against the Bucs , and the entire jags and first pats games !   Hope Josh learns.  He was so successful the prior week and the.n this was like a 180 reversion to not taking what’s given or being patient.   Worse is Daboll ignoring the run in bad weather in the first place.   I just can’t get over calling that pass to Dawkins from the one on first and goal from the falcons one yard line !  It’s not like Josh has never made a bad decision and attempted to force a ball in to someone covered.  The very next play we ran it in, but what if that pass had been picked for some reason ?  Just no need to attempt that against a bad team. 

In all honesty, this is what bugs me as this is what we hear a lot - hope Josh learns, hope Josh learns, hope Josh learns. But we’ve seen this creep back into his game just when we do think he has learned; the Steelers was a shaky performance all round, then (yes, with a bad O-Line) the Jags, then the Pats, then the first half against the Bucs, then the Pats at home, then the second quarter yesterday. Others have rightly said it’s great we adjusted, utilised his other strengths and won, with Josh managing to recover mentally in the second half to lead us over the line, but for someone who has all the capabilities of being one of the best QBs ever, not just for the Bills, he has these passing games more often than I like and, more concerning, more than he had last year.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, HappyDays said:

On one hand Allen needs to clean up the interceptions, on the other hand his most incredible throws come on the same plays that the interceptions do. I guess it comes down to understanding the game you're in. When winning against a vastly inferior opponent we don't need a miracle TD pass back across your body to Diggs, so just throw that one away. It's a tougher balance than it seems though.

You are right on both counts: (1) sometimes bad things happen when he plays the same way as he does on most of his spectacular plays, and (2) it is a tougher balance than people think, particularly with a QB like Allen.

He didn't have a good passing game today. But, honestly, the guy was still the best player on the field and is in almost every game he plays. He is a special QB because of a combination of his physical gifts, his intelligence, his competetiveness, and the way that he plays the game.

It is that last part I find most amusing with some fans. The way Allen plays results in spectacular plays, performances, and wins most of the time. That same style of play will also, on occasion, result in plays and performances that don't turn out well. Then the same people that applaud when he throws back , against his body, on the run, with two defenders in his face, and completes a 25 yard pass in a tight window between 3 defenders - will complain about Allen playing "hero ball" when that same pass is incomplete when he could have dumped it off to a receiver 5 yards downfield or, heaven forbid, it gets intercepted.

When you look at games this year in which Allen has not done well, there has been plenty of blame to go around, including Allen himself. It truly has been a strange year for the team. It has been a s*** show of musical chairs along the offensive line for most of the year; a nearly non-existent running game (for most of the games) outside of Allen; critical moments of penalties, turnovers, or dropped passes; and bad weather games.

Through it all, the one consistent is that Allen has been asked, arguably more than any QB in this league to carry his team on his back. And, because of his talent and fearless style of play, he manages to do it most of the time. Sometimes he doesn't. Fans can't have it both ways. They can't applaud him for carrying the team when he is successful and then criticize him for trying to do to much and playing "hero ball" when he is not successful - for the same style of play  in both.

I am not saying his play at times doesn't deserve some criticism or that he doesn't sometimes have a bad game. He is still young, still learning, and still growing as an NFL QB. He makes mistakes and sometimes doesn't perform as well as he should. However, the way he plays that sometimes leads to those mistakes and bad performances, is also why, over the last two years, he has over 9800 total yards, 85 total TDs, 23 wins, a trip to the AFC Championship game, and his team in the playoffs again. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

In all honesty, this is what bugs me as this is what we hear a lot - hope Josh learns, hope Josh learns, hope Josh learns. But we’ve seen this creep back into his game just when we do think he has learned; the Steelers was a shaky performance all round, then (yes, with a bad O-Line) the Jags, then the Pats, then the first half against the Bucs, then the Pats at home, then the second quarter yesterday. Others have rightly said it’s great we adjusted, utilised his other strengths and won, with Josh managing to recover mentally in the second half to lead us over the line, but for someone who has all the capabilities of being one of the best QBs ever, not just for the Bills, he has these passing games more often than I like and, more concerning, more than he had last year.

Aw *****. If he never plays exactly the way we dream of him, he’ll only be the best QB in the league. What a shame. 

He’s shown the capacity to learn and improve at an insane rate. He’s revamped so much in just 4 years… it’s pretty incredible actually. He’ll get around to it… but you can only break so many bad habits at one time. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

I doubt it . Passes get tipped sometimes. The one to start the second half I felt he waited too long to release it. Other than that kind of flukish rather than bad throws. 

The one throw was into triple coverage and the other like the Panthers game, defender kind of baited him to make the throw

14 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Now I’m thinking Joe Burrow maybe? Could be a really strange year where 4-5 guys all get like 4 or 5+ votes.

Burrow? 

10-6

70.4% Completion

4611 Passing

34 TD

14 INT 

118 Rushing 

2 TD

2 FMBL Lost

4729 Total Yards

36 TD

16 Turnovers 

Allen

10-6 

64.1 Completion

4168 Passing

34 TD

15 INT

700 Rushing

6 TD 

3 FMBL Lost

4868 Total Yards

40 TD

18 Turnovers 

And for all the flack the Bills get for not beating good teams… Cincinnati has played the easiest schedule in the NFL according to DVOA. They’ve yet to even play a top 10 defense. 

Don’t get me wrong Burrow is great… but he’s not doing more than Josh Allen. 

It’s Rodgers MVP and should be unanimous. 

• Like (+1) 2

Yesterday is why having a running game is important.  No matter the weather or dome somedays a Qb is just off.  They found it at the right time. Singletary has ran with the opportunity of being the lead back.  Josh in the playoffs is going to need to run it and he will.  His wrs didn't do him any favors.  Multiple drops, the freedom the wrs have in the offense sometimes is a detrimate.

3 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

You are right on both counts: (1) sometimes bad things happen when he plays the same way as he does on most of his spectacular plays, and (2) it is a tougher balance than people think, particularly with a QB like Allen.

He didn't have a good passing game today. But, honestly, the guy was still the best player on the field and is in almost every game he plays. He is a special QB because of a combination of his physical gifts, his intelligence, his competetiveness, and the way that he plays the game.

It is that last part I find most amusing with some fans. The way Allen plays results in spectacular plays, performances, and wins most of the time. That same style of play will also, on occasion, result in plays and performances that don't turn out well. Then the same people that applaud when he throws back , against his body, on the run, with two defenders in his face, and completes a 25 yard pass in a tight window between 3 defenders - will complain about Allen playing "hero ball" when that same pass is incomplete when he could have dumped it off to a receiver 5 yards downfield or, heaven forbid, it gets intercepted.

When you look at games this year in which Allen has not done well, there has been plenty of blame to go around, including Allen himself. It truly has been a strange year for the team. It has been a s*** show of musical chairs along the offensive line for most of the year; a nearly non-existent running game (for most of the games) outside of Allen; critical moments of penalties, turnovers, or dropped passes; and bad weather games.

Through it all, the one consistent is that Allen has been asked, arguably more than any QB in this league to carry his team on his back. And, because of his talent and fearless style of play, he manages to do it most of the time. Sometimes he doesn't. Fans can't have it both ways. They can't applaud him for carrying the team when he is successful and then criticize him for trying to do to much and playing "hero ball" when he is not successful - for the same style of play  in both.

I am not saying his play at times doesn't deserve some criticism or that he doesn't sometimes have a bad game. He is still young, still learning, and still growing as an NFL QB. He makes mistakes and sometimes doesn't perform as well as he should. However, the way he plays that sometimes leads to those mistakes and bad performances, is also why, over the last two years, he has over 9800 total yards, 85 total TDs, 23 wins, a trip to the AFC Championship game, and his team in the playoffs again. 

You are right. I think it is the timing of the "hero ball".  He has to consider down/distance, time in the game, and field position. I like that he is looking to score TD's but already being in FG range with the lead, I dont want to see "hero ball". I want to see throw it away and try for a FG. He was trying to do too much when he didnt need to. I also he probably wouldnt do it as much if his WR's didnt drop as many balls and the running game was more consistent. 

29 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Burrow? 

10-6

70.4% Completion

4611 Passing

34 TD

14 INT 

118 Rushing 

2 TD

2 FMBL Lost

4729 Total Yards

36 TD

16 Turnovers 

Allen

10-6 

64.1 Completion

4168 Passing

34 TD

15 INT

700 Rushing

6 TD 

3 FMBL Lost

4868 Total Yards

40 TD

18 Turnovers 

And for all the flack the Bills get for not beating good teams… Cincinnati has played the easiest schedule in the NFL according to DVOA. They’ve yet to even play a top 10 defense. 

Don’t get me wrong Burrow is great… but he’s not doing more than Josh Allen. 

It’s Rodgers MVP and should be unanimous. 

Joe Burrow is peaking late. Josh Allen is not. 

If Burrow goes off again on the Browns next week he could win it IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Allen dropped dimes all over the best defense in the league and won the game.  Every top qbs in the NFL is provided the benefit of the doubt but Allen.  Hell if Allen got the calls late in Tampa, Burrow got vs Kc on 4th and goal are we having this discussion?    

Just now, Mat68 said:

Allen dropped dimes all over the best defense in the league and won the game.  Every top qbs in the NFL is provided the benefit of the doubt but Allen.  Hell if Allen got the calls late in Tampa, Burrow got vs Kc on 4th and goal are we having this discussion?    

No, Allen just threw 3 picks against the Atlanta Falcons.  Joe Burrow just threw for 400 yards and 4 TD's against the #1 seed in the AFC.

19 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I mean maybe that’s how the voters are going to vote? 

If you’re just looking at pure numbers, strength of competition, record, etc. they’re just about equal. Josh has 4 wins against top 10 defenses mixed in there… Burrow hasn’t played a defense rated better than 13th. 

Burrow has had an incredible season, just like Josh. Recency bias is dumb. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.