Unsung hero : Leslie Frazier

Buffalo716

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’m giving this to the players. They didn’t do much scheming in this one. Played safe which was exactly what they’ve been doing vs KC. Difference in this one is the offense put up 38 points. Everyone on defense did their 1/11. Poyer and Hyde played under control all game. They really never had to switch up.

Difference was the Dline was able to generate enough pressure and hold against the ground game. Last year against KC in the regular season they were gaining 7-8 yards a clip on the ground and it was making it far too easy to just grind the game out. This time they weren’t able to get that so they had to dink and dunk against the secondary and it caused issues.

8 hours ago, ganesh said:

Leslie is like the father figure to many of these young Bills on defense.   He has called a master plan to outwit the best players in the business.  Can he do it one more time next week in Nashville.  

I mean we've done it the two games proceeding the last Titans game.

57 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean we've done it the two games proceeding the last Titans game.

The Bills did not have Tre White, Levi, Milano, Moss or John Brown in that game and Josh had an injured shoulder. Our starting corners were josh Norman and cam Lewis. Andre Roberts started the game at WR.  Just a much different team  now. And as you said, the Bills typically beat the Titans

Edited by YoloinOhio

I'm still not sure if I'll every truly be a fan of the 'bend but don't break' style of defense that this team runs, but at least for now they have found the right ingridients to be the best defense in the NFL.

The question is whether or not it's sustainable through 17+ games. Either way I certainly see Frazier get another HC opportunity after this season comes to a close for the Bills, SB or not.

5 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Frazier had his chance and didnt succeed as HC. I am not particularly worried about losing him. I hope that he becomes a Dick LeBeau and stays with us as long term elite DC. 

In His defense he had Christian Ponder as his quarterback.. and went to the playoffs with him once  

He was baddddd 

Not even journeyman quarterback status

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’m giving this to the players. They didn’t do much scheming in this one. Played safe which was exactly what they’ve been doing vs KC. Difference in this one is the offense put up 38 points. Everyone on defense did their 1/11. Poyer and Hyde played under control all game. They really never had to switch up.

Wait until they post the all-22 and you see the safety/corner coverage combos that they showed pre-snap vs post snap. My guess is that it was anything but vanilla

38 minutes ago, golfball323 said:

Wait until they post the all-22 and you see the safety/corner coverage combos that they showed pre-snap vs post snap. My guess is that it was anything but vanilla

Yeah come on  

The concepts of McDermott's zones are not groundbreaking.. but he hides his coverages and looks better than anybody 

He never gives you a simple look in the secondary

15 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Guarantee they love him. He is a man they can respect  

He's like having a second head coach on our team... Week in and out you could see it in the preparedness 

It's all the little things.. dictating the game where he wants it to go.. not where the offensive coordinator wants it to go

Leslie is hardly ever in a situation where he needs to get drastic.. he's hardly ever playing catch up... He dictates what the offense does.. not vice versa 

He's a master at combining coverages and hiding them.. and playing the sticks 

Best defensive coordinator we've had here since Wade.. Schwartz was good and I liked him but his defense had little Gap integrity which hurt in big moments 

Leslie's defenses are never out of gap

Yup...he seems like a tough coach but also one that cares about his players and wants to put them in the best position to help them succeed...like AJ Klein last year...he realized they were not using him properly and made some adjustments to his assignments and Klein has become very valuable to this defense...

Steady hand that steers the ship and keeps them in the right headspace.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Yup...he seems like a tough coach but also one that cares about his players and wants to put them in the best position to help them succeed...like AJ Klein last year...he realized they were not using him properly and made some adjustments to his assignments and Klein has become very valuable to this defense...

Steady hand that steers the ship and keeps them in the right headspace.

The Hallmark of a McDermott and Fraser defense is every player is put in the best chance to succeed

Which flies in the face of tremaine Edmonds to outside linebacker because McDermott and Frazier always put their players in their best chance to succeed 

If McDermott didn't think Tremaine was his mike , he would have moved him a year ago

Edited by Buffalo716

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The Hallmark of a McDermott and Fraser defense is every player is put in the best chance to succeed

Which flies in the face of tremaine Edmonds to outside linebacker because McDermott and Frazier always put their players in their best chance to succeed 

If McDermott didn't think Tremaine was his mike , he would have moved him a year ago

People who are not noticing Edmunds this year are simply trying to ignore him. He has been playing very well...

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Nelius said:

Camera caught him getting really happy with about :50 seconds left, I thought it was awesome. He seems so serious and reserved most of the time but has cracked a few times now when things go well, like when he was running down the sideline stride for stride with a Taron's pick-6 vs Baltimore last year. Bet his players love him.

I saw that smile.  I don't recall ever seeing him like that before. He's a tremendous coach. I'm sure Houston would like a do over in last years coaching search.

10 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Frazier had his chance and didnt succeed as HC. I am not particularly worried about losing him. I hope that he becomes a Dick LeBeau and stays with us as long term elite DC. 

If we end up giving up 12 ppg , he's probably gone.

5 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I'm still not sure if I'll every truly be a fan of the 'bend but don't break' style of defense that this team runs, but at least for now they have found the right ingridients to be the best defense in the NFL.

The question is whether or not it's sustainable through 17+ games. Either way I certainly see Frazier get another HC opportunity after this season comes to a close for the Bills, SB or not.

I don't think 'bend but don't break' defenses lead the league in turnovers and fewest points allowed or are top 3 in rush and passing yards allowed. That's not much bending there.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I don't think 'bend but don't break' defenses lead the league in turnovers and fewest points allowed or are top 3 in rush and passing yards allowed. That's not much bending there.

To add to that, how much are we even 'bend but don't break' in the first place? We send blitzes, just not against the Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Think about it this way.... which team put out the blueprint on defending Lamar and the Ravens? 

And then which team put out the blueprint for defending Mahomes and the Chiefs (even if last year they couldn't quite execute their own plan for various reasons)?

Yea. Leslie Frazier is good.

GB, thank you for reminding us we had the blueprint on Baltimore.  People may remember we lost 24-17 in 2019, but that was Lamar’s worst performance that year, and other teams started copycatting Frasier’s blueprint.  Obviously it worked perfectly in the divisional round of the playoffs.

We are da.n lucky we have two very experienced coordinators who have built continuity and ingenuity stretching the playbook of both sides of the ball over several years.  We’re going to do nothing but improve throughout this season.  This Tampa game is the next monster game for us.  By then we could be looking at two 10-2 to 11-1 teams in a 4 pm showdown in Tampa.

Ill be there with my entire family.  It’s going to be 30-35% Bills fans there.  Tampans love the Bucs, but this is a great destination for Bills fans.  The weather is absolute heaven this time of the year.

If you have a few extra bucks in the bank.  Come down.  It’s going to be a blast.

2 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

GB, thank you for reminding us we had the blueprint on Baltimore.  People may remember we lost 24-17 in 2019, but that was Lamar’s worst performance that year, and other teams started copycatting Frasier’s blueprint.  Obviously it worked perfectly in the divisional round of the playoffs.

We are da.n lucky we have two very experienced coordinators who have built continuity and ingenuity stretching the playbook of both sides of the ball over several years.  We’re going to do nothing but improve throughout this season.  This Tampa game is the next monster game for us.  By then we could be looking at two 10-2 to 11-1 teams in a 4 pm showdown in Tampa.

Ill be there with my entire family.  It’s going to be 30-35% Bills fans there.  Tampans love the Bucs, but this is a great destination for Bills fans.  The weather is absolute heaven this time of the year.

If you have a few extra bucks in the bank.  Come down.  It’s going to be a blast.

Gunner lives in England

That's a pretty expensive trip

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think that combination of factors allowed us to run what was fundamentally the week 6 of 2020 plan but execute it much better to the point where it didn't look "passive" in the way it was criticised for looking last year. 

Also our offense actually moved the ball. That made it even harder for the Chiefs offense to stay patient. If you transplant last year's week 6 defense into this game we still win IMO, it just would have been closer. The blueprint to beating the Chiefs is force their offense to be patient while giving them every reason not to be.

Edited by HappyDays

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Also our offense actually moved the ball. That made it even harder for the Chiefs offense to stay patient. If you transplant last year's week 6 defense into this game we still win IMO, it just would have been closer. The blueprint to beating the Chiefs is force their offense to be patient while giving them every reason not to be.

That is a fair point, although I am not sure I share your belief that the 2020 defense wins this game. That third quarter when the O stalled the defense held itself together extremely impressively. But you are not wrong to say our offense scoring (and I say scoring rather than moving the ball, because actually we didn't move it that much and sustain drives until the 4th quarter... what we did was score quickly) put the pressure on Kansas City to match and made it harder for them to stay patient and run the ball etc. 

22 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

There has been an assumption that the Bills will lose Dabol this year to a HC’ing job.  If I was an owner, I would look much harder at Frazier. I certainly hope he is in Buffalo to stay. At the same time the guy has been brilliant.

The reason I am sure Leslie will stay is that 62 year old, retread, defensive coaches are rarely the hot prospects in coaching searches. He has had two interviews since he has been our DC and both in unusual circumstances. 

The first was in Indy when McDaniels bailed at the last minute and the second was Houston this year where they were in complete meltdown and struggling to attract candidates. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.