Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2021-2022

YoloinOhio

Another good win! 3 of their last 4!

Im actually bummed that there’s only 4 games left. I don’t want the season to end. It’s been a LONG time since I’ve felt that way. That’s how I know they’re playing good hockey 😂

Ive even been watching some of the coach and player interviews again (I used to watch them all).

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Im actually bummed that there’s only 4 games left. I don’t want the season to end. It’s been a LONG time since I’ve felt that way. That’s how I know they’re playing good hockey 😂

Ive even been watching some of the coach and player interviews again (I used to watch them all).

Did you happen to see the shirt they are giving out on the 29th? I Must have one of those, maybe they'll be for sale online.

31 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Brian Koziol

@BrianWGR

·

1h

Thompson now has 36 goals with 4 games left. Eichel's career high was 36 goals. #Sabres

I was wrong about Thompson and am glad of it.  I thought he was Drew Bledsoe on skates.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I thought that ROR trade was a total bust, looks like I was wrong

Me too. I thought it was one of the worst trades in recent history.

Don Granato really saved that ROR trade by moving Thompson to center. Not only is Thompson’s game better suited to center, it also gave him a huge boost of confidence (as Tage told us).

Now they just need to get the other piece of that trade signed - Ryan Johnson.

Its looking more and more like he’s going to go back for his senior season though.

The Sabres would still have a short window to sign him after next season before he turns UFA, but if he goes back I won’t be feeling very good about their chances.

Johnson might be looking at the Sabres left defense and thinking he will have a better opportunity elsewhere (especially since the current GM didn’t draft him). Hope I’m wrong! 

13 hours ago, T&C said:

Did you happen to see the shirt they are giving out on the 29th? I Must have one of those, maybe they'll be for sale online.

No, I didn’t.

what is it, an Rj’s last call t-shirt? Do you have a link to a pic? 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I'll admit I haven't watched many games this season but it feels good that they team isn't a basement dweller anymore as Granato is getting the most from this bunch no doubt. We need to find a goalie though as don't feel UPL a long term answer and Levi might not be in the NHL for another 2-3 seasons. 

19 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I'll admit I haven't watched many games this season but it feels good that they team isn't a basement dweller anymore as Granato is getting the most from this bunch no doubt. We need to find a goalie though as don't feel UPL a long term answer and Levi might not be in the NHL for another 2-3 seasons. 

Definitely need a goalie. That has to be priority #1 this offseason.

I read they want to bring Anderson back but he’s unsure if he will retire or come back. I sure hope they are reconsidering that. I know they love how Anderson is like a father figure + mentor + calming presence to the team, and I know they are hoping UPL earns the starter role next season but you need a better backup plan than Anderson IMO.

He used to be a very good goalie but I think about the best you can expect from him now is for him to continue being a roughly .900 save % goalie (like he’s been the past few seasons).

https://www.nhl.com/player/craig-anderson-8467950

this year he’s at .896

They need someone that can at least give them league average goaltending (.910). Slightly above average (.915) would be even better. I don’t think that’s asking/expecting too much.

This team with league average goaltending might have even been in the playoff race. I think they’ve been at a 95+ point pace pretty much ever since Anderson came back from injury and at least provided semi-competent goaltending (compared to what they had while he was injured anyway).

I’m confident Tokarski won’t be back, at least in the NHL. I could see him in Rochester. But I’m hoping they are rethinking the Anderson thing. Or Anderson saves them and retires 😂

I still think Levi and/or Portillo are the future but like you said they are years away (assuming both sign here and don’t choose the free agent route). It would be great if UPL turned into a decent starter until then but I can’t figure him out. I thought he looked good in his short time in Buffalo but he’s struggled enough in the AHL that I don’t think you can rely on him to be a starter in Buffalo.

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Now they just need to get the other piece of that trade signed - Ryan Johnson.

Its looking more and more like he’s going to go back for his senior season though.

The Sabres would still have a short window to sign him after next season before he turns UFA, but if he goes back I won’t be feeling very good about their chances.

Johnson might be looking at the Sabres left defense and thinking he will have a better opportunity elsewhere (especially since the current GM didn’t draft him). Hope I’m wrong! 

If Dahlin stays on the right side partnered with Mule, there's an opening for Johnson.  Or you could see if Johnson is able to and amenable to playing on the right. He would really help solidify a blueline that could be dominant in a few years. Even an average goalie will have good stats once that happens. I think Levi is the best hope for the future in goal, though its magic eight ball mystery how goalies pan out. UPL could be okay sharing the load with a veteran. Take a gamble on Husso or throw money at Kuemper or Fleury. Anderson is a nice story, but time to ride into the sunset.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1

No, I didn’t.

what is it, an Rj’s last call t-shirt? Do you have a link to a pic? 

I don't see an image of it anywhere but its a gold shirt with a mic on the front and Jeanneret on the back. Maybe its on twitter somewhere but I'm not a subscriber.

• Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Definitely need a goalie. That has to be priority #1 this offseason.

I read they want to bring Anderson back but he’s unsure if he will retire or come back. I sure hope they are reconsidering that. I know they love how Anderson is like a father figure + mentor + calming presence to the team, and I know they are hoping UPL earns the starter role next season but you need a better backup plan than Anderson IMO.

He used to be a very good goalie but I think about the best you can expect from him now is for him to continue being a roughly .900 save % goalie (like he’s been the past few seasons).

https://www.nhl.com/player/craig-anderson-8467950

this year he’s at .896

They need someone that can at least give them league average goaltending (.910). Slightly above average (.915) would be even better. I don’t think that’s asking/expecting too much.

This team with league average goaltending might have even been in the playoff race. I think they’ve been at a 95+ point pace pretty much ever since Anderson came back from injury and at least provided semi-competent goaltending (compared to what they had while he was injured anyway).

I’m confident Tokarski won’t be back, at least in the NHL. I could see him in Rochester. But I’m hoping they are rethinking the Anderson thing. Or Anderson saves them and retires 😂

I still think Levi and/or Portillo are the future but like you said they are years away (assuming both sign here and don’t choose the free agent route). It would be great if UPL turned into a decent starter until then but I can’t figure him out. I thought he looked good in his short time in Buffalo but he’s struggled enough in the AHL that I don’t think you can rely on him to be a starter in Buffalo.

I assume our pick from Vegas is top 10 protected.  They would be about 16 if they miss the playoff and lottery correct?  Any chance a pick in that range could return a viable goalie in a trade with a team that has a glut?  Any realistic FA goalies on the horizon?

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

I assume our pick from Vegas is top 10 protected.  They would be about 16 if they miss the playoff and lottery correct?  Any chance a pick in that range could return a viable goalie in a trade with a team that has a glut?  Any realistic FA goalies on the horizon?

Yes the VGK pick is top 10 protected. The pic currently sits at #16 if they miss the playoffs. Even if they make it the pick could still be decent if they’re eliminated in the first 2 rounds.

I don’t know of a goalie available for trade that would be worth that type of draft pick though. Zero interest in trading a #16 overall pick for any goalie that isn’t elite.

We could still get a pretty good player in this draft with that pick. The 2nd tier of talent looks like it runs into the late teens and you never know who could fall.

I’d maybe consider trading the later of the two 1sts depending on the goalie. The Florida pick looks like it could be 27-31. 

I think John Gibson might be available (Anaheim) but I’m not giving up a top 20 pick for him. I also think Georgiev is available (NYR) but he was really no better than what we already have. I’m not sure of any others off hand. I’m sure there’s probably more.

As far as free agents there’s a few:

-Fleury (doubtful he would come here. Maybe if we overpay)

- Kuemper (yes, but not for crazy $)

- Holtby (same)

- Jack Campbell (same)

- Koskinen (could do worse)

- Korpisalo (no thanks)

- Halak

- Schneider

- Jones

- Greiss 

Fleury, Kuemper, Holtby, Campbell would all be better than what we had.

Koskinen maybe slightly. The rest would be meh.

The race for the playoffs in the Pacific division is getting really interesting.

Nashville- 76 games played 91pts (41 regulation/overtime wins)

Dallas- 76 games played 91pts (39 ROW)

Kings- 77 games played 90pts(36 ROW)
Vegas- 77 games played 87pts (37 ROW)
Canucks- 76 games played 86pts (35 ROW)

Dallas and Nashville are 4pts ahead of Vegas with 1 game in hand.

LA won their last game but they’re 4-5-1 in their last 10. Vegas could still pass them for 3rd in the division. But now Vancouver has been on a real hot streak lately. They won again last night, while Vegas lost to New Jersey. The Canucks now sit 1pt behind Vegas with 1 game in hand.

Its going to be a really interesting last 5-6 games. I’m still not getting my hopes up yet about Vegas missing though. We are Sabres fans after all. Murphy’s law usually applies to us.

• Like (+1) 1

The race for the playoffs in the Pacific division is getting really interesting.

Nashville- 76 games played 91pts (41 regulation/overtime wins)

Dallas- 76 games played 91pts (39 ROW)

Kings- 77 games played 90pts(36 ROW)
Vegas- 77 games played 87pts (37 ROW)
Canucks- 76 games played 86pts (35 ROW)

Dallas and Nashville are 4pts ahead of Vegas with 1 game in hand.

LA won their last game but they’re 4-5-1 in their last 10. Vegas could still pass them for 3rd in the division. But now Vancouver has been on a real hot streak lately. They won again last night, while Vegas lost to New Jersey. The Canucks now sit 1pt behind Vegas with 1 game in hand.

Its going to be a really interesting last 5-6 games. I’m still not getting my hopes up yet about Vegas missing though. We are Sabres fans after all. Murphy’s law usually applies to us.

All I know is that I hope saviour jack and vegas don't make the post season... ***** em.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2