Allen comments on getting too hyped up before games

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

After playing the regular season last year without fans in the stands I was curious how the Bills would come out today.  Emotional, all business, something in between?  I do think the sellout home crowd atmosphere gets Allen too amped up.  When the home stadium is full and rocking I think he gets a little distracted.  What I'm looking at is a guy that wants to deliver for the crowd a little too much.  On the road I think he's more composed and steady.  And last season without fans in Orchard Park he played lights out most home games.  

The other glaring problem today was the Steelers rush never allowed Allen to get comfortable.  He was under pressure on most plays.  And off target on many throws either from pressure or anticipating pressure.  The play calling today did him no favors either.  I think that's a consensus view on the board tonight. 

Way too much empty which narrows down the play options to the QB passing the ball or running himself.  Daboll also needs to mix it up when it comes to formation and personnel packages.  Just understanding those two factors it was pretty well telegraphed what the Bills were trying to do play to play.  Even those designed runs by Allen were well telegraphed.  If I can figure out a lot of what the offense is going to do you can bet your life the Steelers coaching group knows a lot better.  A little deception with the play calls mixing things up with formation and personnel groups needs to be dialed up here.  As somebody said in another post defenses eventually figure it out and playing a talented and well-coached defense like the Steelers group being predictable is death for your offense.  Today it looked like the Steelers defensive coaches and players were siting in on the Bills offensive game planning sessions all week.  

I agree with the offense being predictable. The Bills don’t run the ball enough so whenever Josh lines up under center it’s a run call almost 90% of the time. Daboll needs to be more balanced. That’s pretty much been his problem since he’s been here 

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I just don't like the offensive scheme. I think it's way too pass happy, puts too much pressure on Allen, is too reliant on Allen, and vulnerable especially against playoff caliber teams. Teams have much more tape on the Bills scheme and system. Defense almost always catches up with offensive systems. Imho, Cabell and company have to better establish a run game to take some off of Allen's plate. He was almost super human last year and I doubt we see that consistent version of Allen this year. In fact, if you look at the playoff games Allen wasn't that great. Time will tell. 

Allen is the 2nd highest paid qb in the league. If the Bills have to pass less because he can’t handle it, then the Bills are in serious trouble. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Allen is the 2nd highest paid qb in the league. If the Bills have to pass less because he can’t handle it, then the Bills are in serious trouble. 

KC went out and drafted a first round RB.  Football is a game of strategy, if your offense is predictable its gonna be stopped.  We have to run more earlier to keep the defenses on their toes. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, CountDorkula said:

I watched the Chiefs, who have the highest paid QB, and they run the ball effectively. It's not whether Allen can handle it or not it's about whether it's smart to be that one dimensional game after game. Against most teams I suspect Allen will handle it just fine and shine.  But there will be games because of either the quality of the opposing defense or the weather conditions where we'll have to be less one dimensional. 

42 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I agree with the offense being predictable. The Bills don’t run the ball enough so whenever Josh lines up under center it’s a run call almost 90% of the time. Daboll needs to be more balanced. That’s pretty much been his problem since he’s been here 

Daboll gets a lot of blame for the games where the offense just doesn't execute in my opinion.  4wr sets when your qb can run put a ton of pressure on the defense which is why you're seeing that setup get more and more popular around the league.  If you're under center in run heavy formations that makes your offense less dynamic...run vs pass is a very old school oversimplification that really only the fans make lol

4 minutes ago, bahamasbills said:

KC went out and drafted a first round RB.  Football is a game of strategy, if your offense is predictable its gonna be stopped.  We have to run more earlier to keep the defenses on their toes. 

…except the run blocking sucked last year, and the same 5 guys are back this year.  Go figure. 

• Agree 1

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

I watched the Chiefs, who have the highest paid QB, and they run the ball effectively. It's not whether Allen can handle it or not it's about whether it's smart to be that one dimensional game after game. Against most teams I suspect Allen will handle it just fine and shine.  But there will be games because of either the quality of the opposing defense or the weather conditions where we'll have to be less one dimensional. 

Helaire averaged 3.1 ypc...they were not super effective running the football.  That number is likely even lower if they played against the same defense we did 

8 minutes ago, bahamasbills said:

CEH 14 for 43. 3 YPC

Singletary 11 for 72. 6.5 YPC

5 minutes ago, BTB said:

…except the run blocking sucked last year, and the same 5 guys are back this year.  Go figure. 

Singletary averaged 6+ YPC today. 

that elite RB in KC averaged 3. 

running the ball was fine. 

7 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Helaire averaged 3.1 ypc...they were not super effective running the football.  That number is likely even lower if they played against the same defense we did 

And they probably still blow out Pittsburgh. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Lol I knew this stupid thread was going to get bumped 

Well you could tell every big game the past couple years (New England, Baltimore, Tennessee, KC, etc.) he gets as amped up as the fans do & plays differently.

This being the home opener, 70k fans back in the seats, Super Bowl expectations & people calling him a possible MVP front-runner...and against a conference rival, yeah, he played like 2018-2019 Josh Allen again. He wasn't the only guy who played poorly, so we're not saying it's all his fault, but this team's success lives & dies by Allen. 

If he plays like this going forward, we'll be lucky to get a WC slot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bahamasbills said:

Agree 100%. Not sure why the Bills coaching staff seemingly doesn't grasp this. Last years playoff games pretty much exposed this. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Well you could tell every big game the past couple years (New England, Baltimore, Tennessee, KC, etc.) he gets as amped up as the fans do & plays differently.

This being the home opener, 70k fans back in the seats, Super Bowl expectations & people calling him a possible MVP front-runner...and against a conference rival, yeah, he played like 2018-2019 Josh Allen again. He wasn't the only guy who played poorly, so we're not saying it's all his fault, but this team's success lives & dies by Allen. 

2018 josh allen throws 3 ints that game... he was completely fooled by the Steelers presnap alignment and his offensive line couldn't block anyone and he still made plays.  I think today's game was the first evidence in a long time where Josh allen didn't have to win the game single handedly and could've afforded to take some of the open underneath stuff/checkdowns without trying to consistently force the ball downfield and he looks pretty silly for not doing so...I kind of got the opposite impression of this game than a lot of other people it sounds like lol. Looked like he had lots of checkdowns that he passed up thinking he could avoid a 4 man rush long enough to hit something deep and it just wasn't necessary 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

CEH 14 for 43. 3 YPC

Singletary 11 for 72. 6.5 YPC

Singletary averaged 6+ YPC today. 

that elite RB in KC averaged 3. 

running the ball was fine. 

And they probably still blow out Pittsburgh. 

Singletary ran 7 times for 23 yards before the Steelers took the lead.

Once the Steelers were up by 10 in the 4th and playing prevent, he ran 4 more times for 48 yards.

Your understanding of the rushing attack today lacks actual context.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Once the Steelers were up by 10 in the 4th and playing prevent, he ran 4 more times for 48 yards.

Yea im in the camp of we would have gotten absolutely stuffed if we ran the ball when it mattered and that's why you saw a lot of gimmicky nonsense on 4th and short lol there is really not much in the playbook for any team when you are getting absolutely whooped by a 4 man rush I'm surprised we moved the ball the amount that we did...just couldn't hit on any of those short yardage plays and it's easy with the power of hindsight to say run the ball there  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Hope it’s not the full capacity stadium that amped. If it is we are ***** for the next 8 years. Haha

4 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

2018 josh allen throws 3 ints that game... he was completely fooled by the Steelers presnap alignment and his offensive line couldn't block anyone and he still made plays.  I think today's game was the first evidence in a long time where Josh allen didn't have to win the game single handedly and could've afforded to take some of the open underneath stuff/checkdowns without trying to consistently force the ball downfield and he looks pretty silly for not doing so...I kind of got the opposite impression of this game than a lot of other people it sounds like lol. Looked like he had lots of checkdowns that he passed up thinking he could avoid a 4 man rush long enough to hit something deep and it just wasn't necessary 

Watched Mahomes a bit and for a while he was just taking the snap.. 1, 2, underneath throw.  His player then turned upfield for an extra 4-5 yards. 

Allen, every play, even when the threw underneath, seemed to be 1, 2, 3, 4, underneath throw.   WR immediately tackled. 

It was evident that Josh's emotions were driving the ball too hard, gripping the ball too tightly and generally pressing to make the game bigger than it actually was in his mind. As soon as I saw him overthrow Sanders when Sanders was NFL gaping wide open, I knew Josh's arm had too much of the jitters in him. He was so amped and pumped, he needed to get his adrenaline back to baseline. 

I think Allen needs to find the mental trigger to get to cold as ice before and during games. He had much of that last year and honestly, at this point it's his final flaw. That's not to say that he's perfect, but no QB is "perfect", it's just that when his emotions are in check and he's able to focus them and harness them, there isn't a throw he can't make - be it for power or precision. 

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

So he averaged 3.2 YPC.... the same as CEH...

Rushing attacks matter so little if your QB can be elite.

Today was not that day for Allen. Rookie Allen was back today, not yet concerning, but something to watch for. 

• Agree 1