Bills open practice 9/1 and media

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Maybe, but when did they see that?  The guy didn't play at all last season and only 1 game this pre-season.

Hollister did show he can block with the Seasnakes.  He's not Lee Smith but he ID'd the right guy and slowed him up.

Oh well Done is Done

Somehow they got WORSE at the tight end position this offseason which boggles my mind.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Hope you are right, I dont know what happened to Singletary's "fire" last year but he looked like his "old" self this pre-season.

I don't think he lost his "fire" last year myself, run blocking I thought was pretty bad. You would think the element of surprise would have factored in alot more when they ran the ball since they were so pass heavy.

5 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

The Hollister cut is the one that mystifies me the most. But what do I know?

Same. 

I suspect factors not apparent to the casual fan may have been in play.

I guess we'll have another year of not getting the point where teams say "we gotta stop their TE from going off"

3 minutes ago, billrooter said:

I don't think he lost his "fire" last year myself, run blocking I thought was pretty bad. You would think the element of surprise would have factored in alot more when they ran the ball since they were so pass heavy.

Both things were true.  Singletary looked pudgy and poorly conditioned last season vs. the previous season to me, and I felt he ran as though he weren't really motivated.  Sometimes he had a hole to hit and he didn't hit it hard.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Same. 

I suspect factors not apparent to the casual fan may have been in play.

I guess we'll have another year of not getting the point where teams say "we gotta stop their TE from going off"

I wouldn’t be too worried about it considering who we have at WR. Hollister wasn’t that kind of guy anyway. 

49 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Somebody ask him why he consistently keeps 5 CBs when 3 are on the field at all times. Meanwhile, he keeps 9 OL for 5 spots and 6 LBs for 2 spots. I've gotten used to it, but going thin at the CB position is a frustrating hallmark of this regime.

It's harder to find good CBs. You don't keep extra if they're not good 

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

They subtracted Tyler Kroft and Lee Smith and added absolutely nobody.

True that we added nobody

"Worse" depends upon more use of Gilliam/Tommy Sweeney being worse than Tyler Kroft, which could be true

Or it could not be true - won't know until we see them

Also depends upon an extra OLman being a worse blocker and worse at "leaking out" for the occasional catch than Lee Smith was

Which likewise could be true, or could not be true, won't know until we see them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if Ike started at LG with Mongo at RG. Cody Ford simply isn’t good and I don’t need that in my life. 

Just because Ford has been injured doesn’t mean he isn’t good. He’s shown really well in the preseason games. Ike in my opinion has looked worse this preseason than last year. Ford improves our run game too. Significantly over Ike who couldn’t move anyone off the ball last season. Ike can pass block for what it’s worth. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I wouldn’t be too worried about it considering who we have at WR. Hollister wasn’t that kind of guy anyway. 

Chiefs have stud WR’s as well but having another weapon at TE opens up the offense even more. Also our WR’s were mitigated by a physical Chiefs secondary in the AFC Championship which only adds more pressure for  the TE being able to make plays.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

30 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That's fine but why does Sweeney offer more than Hollister? That's what I don't understand. It can't be a cap move because Hollister was only set to make a couple hundred thousand more than Sweeney. Usually even with the moves I disagree with I can see the logic in, this one I just don't see it.

Sweeney is home grown and been a Bill from ‘18. He’s had some injuries but McBeane have always talked him up and I thought he shined this preseason. If there’s a change coming to Knox’s starting spot, it’s his fellow rookie classmate. 

I wouldn’t be surprised.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Fred Slacks said:

Just because Ford has been injured doesn’t mean he isn’t good. He’s shown really well in the preseason games. Ike in my opinion has looked worse this preseason than last year. Ford improves our run game too. Significantly over Ike who couldn’t move anyone off the ball last season. Ike can pass block for what it’s worth. 

He hasn’t been good even when healthy. And we must have watched different games because his pass blocking is still not good. 

Considering we’re a passing offense, pass blocking is more important to me. 

There’s obviously a reason why the coaching staff is still rotating Ike and Ford and why Beane didn’t commit to Ford being the starter.

It sucks Ford couldn’t take the job and run with it considering where we drafted him but sometimes guys aren’t as good as you hope. I want the 5 best guys on the field for what we do on offense.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

The Bills finished at or near the top in almost every meaningful offensive category last year with minimal contributions from the TE position.  It's clear that Daboll doesn't need a premier TE to make this offense click.  I'm surprised by the Hollister cut too, but we still have the best WR corps in the NFL and a QB who can throw the ball to any spot on the field, on pace, on time. 

I'll trust Beane and Co. on this one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

Sweeney is home grown and been a Bill from ‘18. He’s had some injuries but McBeane have always talked him up and I thought he shined this preseason. If there’s a change coming to Knox’s starting spot, it’s his fellow rookie classmate. 

I wouldn’t be surprised.

I'd like to feel all positive about this, so I'd like to buy in.

My question though is when did we see Sweeney shine?  He played against the Lions then put a boot on and was not seen in practice again until...today?

• Like (+1) 1