Jags Thoughts

corta765

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Their OC has set off alarm bells thus far. Trevor looks like a talented rookie getting his legs under him. The offensive design looks ugly. 

That is what I thought. Trevor I think long term is OK and the skill players are not bad, but man the offensive line is a mess and the scheme looked soooo vanilla.

Did you know Marvin Jones had almost a 1000 yds and 9 TDs for the Lions last year? I was surprised to learn that doing the broadcast  

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I wonder for those of you who watched the league pre-expansion do you feel this way about other expansion teams? I have wondered whether my lack of care for the Jags is because they don't have the rich history of many other teams, there are no grainy films of the Jaguars in black and white. I don't feel that way about the Texans but then I kind of see them more as the continuation of the Houston franchise than the Titans but I also don't feel that way about Carolina. It is just Jacksonville. They are just really nothingness to me and I actually know a lot of Jags fans here in London, including a couple who followed them pre-International Series, but I dunno..... they are so meh. 

I never really thought about it this way until now, but I feel pretty much the same way about the Jags. In trying to think about them as a team, part of this for me, not being a fantasy football guy, stems from not really having an outside rooting interest in a single player that's ever played for them during the time they were a Jag... aside from possibly Fred Taylor.

7 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Did they mention Fitz went to Harvard? 😁

Believe it not they mentioned Chris Hogan being an all star lacrosse player in college and recently in the professional league 😁

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Logic said:

I know I'm not alone in thinking this, but...

I have zero faith in Urban Meyer to be a good NFL head coach. Zero.

I think he's gonna be much more Steve Spurrier than Jimmy Johnson.

I felt this way from the beginning, but then the way they handled the draft -- Meyer openly admitting they wanted Kadarius Toney instead of Etienne, using a 1st round pick on a running back after James Robinson had a good year and considering other positional needs, putting said running back at wide receiver in camp -- confirmed my suspicions: Meyer's a boob. He's in over his head. The NFL is NOT college football. I think he's gonna bomb spectacularly.

I’m not sure why there seems to be this general assumption that Meyer knows what he’s doing as an NFL coach. I’m not going to completely doubt the guy, but it’s possible he’s a terrible NFL coach. Nick Saban wasn’t very impressive in the NFL either. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

I’m not sure why there seems to be this general assumption that Meyer knows what he’s doing as an NFL coach. I’m not going to completely doubt the guy, but it’s possible he’s a terrible NFL coach. Nick Saban wasn’t very impressive in the NFL either. 

Nick Saban also asked the dolphins to sign Drew Brees.. and they signed Daunte Culpepper who did not fit his offense

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Nick Saban also asked the dolphins to sign Drew Brees.. and they signed Dante Culpeper who did not fit his offense

That’s fair, but that’s the issue with these guys. A big part of Saban and Meyer’s college success is being able to out recruit everyone. The NFL doesn’t work that way. Successful coaches obviously need a QB and a good roster, but I think the best coaches can have limited success with average rosters. McDermott in his rookie year with us is a great example. Saban wasn’t going to win in Miami with that roster, but according to reports he wore out his welcome in many ways, much as Marrone did in Buffalo. I don’t think most of these colleges coaches “get it”. They are essentially dictators in college, and often times the highest paid state employee. NFL coaching can be a much more humbling experience. 

Just now, SirAndrew said:

That’s fair, but that’s the issue with these guys. A big part of Saban and Meyer’s college success is being able to out recruit everyone. The NFL doesn’t work that way. Successful coaches obviously need a QB and a good roster, but I think the best coaches can have limited success with average rosters. McDermott in his rookie year with us is a great example. Saban wasn’t going to win in Miami with that roster, but according to reports he wore out his welcome in many ways, much as Marrone did in Buffalo. I don’t think most of these colleges coaches “get it”. They are essentially dictators in college, and often times the highest paid state employee. NFL coaching can be a much more humbling experience. 

Of course

Nick Saban runs , scheme wise an  NFL defense  

But The rest of his work is basically being the best recruiter in the country 

He's surrounded by the best facilities and tons of money .. he can recruit the best players and develop them the way he wants 

It's a whole different story in the NFL , trying to build an NFL roster with the salary cap, and you can't really recruit players like in college

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly curious if someone gave T-Law that nickname or if it was self-appointed?

If someone gave it to me, I would ask them not to use it.  If it was self-appointed, that's probably worse.

Edited by The Wiz

16 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Urban Meyer killed it at Bowling Green and Utah (winning a Fiesta Bowl when they were still in the MWC).  The guy is a great, great coach and not necessarily dependent on being a great recruiter.  It may not translate to the NFL, but I wouldn't write off Meyer based on 2 preseason losses as head coach of the worst team in the NFL.  

14 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Honestly curious if someone gave T-Law that nickname or if it was self-appointed?

If someone gave it to me, I would ask them not to use it.  If it was self-appointed, that's probably worse.

Seen Lawrence play since high school 

Never heard that until this thread

Trevor Lawrence is going to have a tough rookie season like Manning had in 1998. I expect some incredible highs, and lows. I see 30 TDs / 20+ Picks. He’s gonna be a great player, but he’s not walking into a squad like Herbert did last year. 

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

That is what I thought. Trevor I think long term is OK and the skill players are not bad, but man the offensive line is a mess and the scheme looked soooo vanilla.

Did you know Marvin Jones had almost a 1000 yds and 9 TDs for the Lions last year? I was surprised to learn that doing the broadcast  

He’s an under the radar fantasy play. He is going to get a ton of targets. Urban hates DJ chark for some reason 

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Ha well the post 95 ones really but any I suppose. Do you feel less interested in the fortunes of newer teams? 

Yes.  I keep waiting for new teams to establish themselves in my mind.

Like when I am trying to remember all the teams from memory, the expansion teams tend to slip.

I had this same problem with the Seahawks.  I still think of them as a normal NFL team now, but they are kind of in my blind spot.

On reflection, it might be the uniform choices that expansion teams make.  And colors.  The Texans got it right.  The Ravens hit the bulls-eye, even without the gratuitous use of black so that teenagers would buy lots of jerseys.  The Panthers . . . not bad.  Seahawks and Jags not at all.

Edited by maddenboy