Daboll story with Powerful Message [edited title]

I do … that’s pretty much the whole part about Daboll. It was preceded by this:

Dates I visited: July 30-31

The first stop on this year's tour was Buffalo, where Sean McDermott, Josh Allen & Co. are dreaming the biggest of dreams. Still stinging from last year's AFC Championship Game loss to the Chiefs, the Bills bring back basically the same group and expect to contend for a title.

One of the challenges McDermott and his coaches confront is managing those expectations inside of the building -- making sure last season's success doesn't morph into this season's assumptions.

"I think the biggest challenge is to reset every year, stay hungry and never take anything for granted," McDermott said. "This league is year-to-year. You always see teams that are up one year and down the next. We have to make sure that's not us."

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Might Rather said:

Daboll is going to make a good head coach in time (Probably next year). I don't know what kind of leader he was before he got here but he is learning from one of the best now and we're all happy about that. 

And saban and belichick before that… probably picked up a few ideas. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Might Rather said:

Daboll is going to make a good head coach in time (Probably next year). I don't know what kind of leader he was before he got here but he is learning from one of the best now and we're all happy about that. 

He definitely seems to of picked up some things from McDermott going from that 2019 Patriots game where he really seemed to lay into Josh and getting put in the upstairs box, he's really seemed to get a better mindset on how to manage players.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1

I love Daboll as the OC but I'm not sure he has the personality to be a HC.  Lots of guys make great coordinators but fail with the top job.  The Peter Principle kicks in and they just can't replicate their success. 

Part of the reason is that when they finally get their chance to move to a HC job, they're leaving a successful winning organization and are being tossed onto a garbage fire team that needs a lot to get fixed.  What they're used to doing is being responsible for a big part of the team but not the whole team.  On the team they left, the HC had good coordinators (including the guy who left), and on the new team the new HC has to build from scratch.  

Anyway, I'm glad Daboll is back this year, and I wish him well wherever he goes although I wouldn't be sad to see him get a new title (like Frazier did) and a big raise in order to stay and keep the wheels turning in Buffalo.

3 hours ago, Might Rather said:

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

And saban and belichick before that… probably picked up a few ideas. 

TBH, I think some of the stuff Daboll picked up from Belichick and Saban may have been the kind of stuff a coach can pull off when he's won 3 SB in his first 5 years with a team.  Some of the stories Derek Anderson and Colt McCoy would tell, were more than a bit off-putting.

We've seen the evolution of Daboll before our eyes.  I can remember in 2019 after the Patriots game where Daboll was seen screaming at Josh on the sidelines, in his presser Daboll pretty well called out Beasley and Allen and a coupe of guys - he seemed very uncomfortable with the press, kind of defensive.  As the season wore on, to my view he changed before our eyes.

I think McDermott has had a couple "come to Jesus" meetings with him and maybe sent him to "charm school".  A lot of the stuff Daboll was saying, quite sincerely, in his press conferences at the end of last year, I'm not sure he believed at the beginning of the previous year - stuff about how a player has to believe you care about him and are concerned about him as a person as well as his career, before he's going to be prepared to believe you and take things to heart when you coach him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

TBH, I think some of the stuff Daboll picked up from Belichick and Saban may have been the kind of stuff a coach can pull off when he's won 3 SB in his first 5 years with a team.  Some of the stories Derek Anderson and Colt McCoy would tell, were more than a bit off-putting.

We've seen the evolution of Daboll before our eyes.  I can remember in 2019 after the Patriots game where Daboll was seen screaming at Josh on the sidelines, in his presser Daboll pretty well called out Beasley and Allen and a coupe of guys - he seemed very uncomfortable with the press, kind of defensive.  As the season wore on, to my view he changed before our eyes.

I think McDermott has had a couple "come to Jesus" meetings with him and maybe sent him to "charm school".  A lot of the stuff Daboll was saying, quite sincerely, in his press conferences at the end of last year, I'm not sure he believed at the beginning of the previous year - stuff about how a player has to believe you care about him and are concerned about him as a person as well as his career, before he's going to be prepared to believe you and take things to heart when you coach him.

When Allen’s grandma passed away who he was very close with, I remember Daboll & Allen sharing a very genuine moment after he went off against the Seahawks…here’s an article with this along with some other nuggets:

https://www.sportscasting.com/brian-daboll-had-a-touching-embrace-with-josh-allen-after-the-tragic-death-of-his-grandmother/

“Yes, he wants his players to be tough out on the field, but he also wants them to know that it’s OK to be a human being with real emotions. When Josh Allen lost his grandmother, he credited Daboll with giving him a safe space to let out his feelings in an embrace after his first game since her death.”

Found this great anecdote in ESPN’s Dan Graziano’s report on NFL training camps. When he visited the Bills camp he witnessed Daboll conduct the following exercise. It’s really brilliant. The link to the full article is below.

“I think the biggest challenge is to reset every year, stay hungry and never take anything for granted," McDermott said. "This league is year-to-year. You always see teams that are up one year and down the next. We have to make sure that's not us."

An example of how the coaches are delivering that message: Offensive coordinator Brian Daboll, in a meeting early in camp, asked every offensive player and coach to stand up.

"If you're a coach and you've ever been fired, sit down," Daboll said, and every coach in the room sat down.

"OK," Daboll continued. "If you're a player and you've ever been cut or traded, sit down." A large group of players sat down.

"If you weren't picked in the first round, sit down," Daboll said, and suddenly the only person in the room still standing was Allen. (The only other first-rounder on Buffalo's offense is backup quarterback Mitchell Trubisky, who sat down with the cut-or-traded group, even though he technically wasn't cut nor traded by the Bears, just not re-signed.)

"Josh," Daboll said. "How many scholarship offers did you get out of high school?"

"None," Allen replied.

"All right," Daboll said. "Let's all remember where we came from."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/31974572/nfl-training-camps-fantasy-football-tips-nuggets-learned-bills-steelers-browns-lions-stops

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• ChevyVanMiller changed the title to Brian Daboll Delivers a Powerful Message at Bills Camp

That was a perfect example of driving a point home mercilessly without demeaning anyone, point made, point likely taken…, 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

People grow into their jobs so some mistakes he may have made in the past is to be expected.  I know from my experiences I was. Different leader in year 1 than year 5.  He’ll learn and I hope he gets his shot next year.  

By the way they are grooming the QB coach, it’s plausible the transition will be seamless, and after this year Josh will have the same OC for four years.  That just isn’t ommon anymore.

Great speech.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 2

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Daboll story with Powerful Message [edited title]
11 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

People grow into their jobs so some mistakes he may have made in the past is to be expected.  I know from my experiences I was. Different leader in year 1 than year 5.  He’ll learn and I hope he gets his shot next year.  

By the way they are grooming the QB coach, it’s plausible the transition will be seamless, and after this year Josh will have the same OC for four years.  That just isn’t ommon anymore.

Great speech.

Part of me is hoping that if successful, Daboll would pull a Patricia/McDaniels and stay with the Bills

I think before he gets a HC job, Daboll needs to show other teams he can be on the sidelines and keep his composure, and also that he can craft an effective run game.

There seem to be mixed reports on that last.

Side note: Daboll was also named a few days ago to Jared Dubin's of CBS Sports "2021 NFL Survivor Squad" (one player or coach from each team, with players/coaches from last year ineligible this year):

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2021-nfl-survivor-squad-building-a-32-man-juggernaut-with-one-pick-from-every-single-team/

"2021 NFL Survivor Squad: Building a 32-man juggernaut with one pick from every single team
Our second annual survivor squad is here with a caveat

[...]

Offensive coordinator: Brian Daboll (Bills)

Last year (ineligible): Greg Roman (Ravens)

The work Daboll did with Josh Allen last season was Reid-esque. The Bills ran the pass-heaviest offense in the NFL relative to their expected drop-back rate given down, distance, time, and score, and that fits quite well with the type of team we want to build. He'll spread the field to get as many threats as possible in the game, affording his quarterback a wide view of possible targets and the throwing lanes through which he can find them. Buffalo's running game was not particularly efficient last season (22nd in Football Outsiders' DVOA) but Daboll worked around that by juicing pass efficiency and using Allen as a threat in short yardage. He knows what he's doing.

Also considered: Kellen Moore, Eric Bieniemy, Mike LaFleur, Joe Lombardi, Byron Leftwich, Josh McDaniels"

[end excerpt]

Tre'Davious White was our player who was ineligible this year. Also considered for this year's squad at their respective positions were Sean McDermott, Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs, Tremaine Edmunds, and Micah Hyde.