Passing the Torch - JK to JA

Chaos

17 hours ago, Jim said:

But anyways, when I think about Bruce sending a note to Rousseau or whatever it was, I roll my eyes. I highly doubt that anything Bruce Smith (who hasn't played in the league since 2003) is gonna tell Greg Rousseau is gonna give him an edge he wouldn't get from all the coaching and words from his current teammates. I mean maybe Bruce could tell him about his experience playing against Tom Brady (yes Bruce actually played against him in '03, incredible!), but that's about it.

I don't mean to be a dick, but c'mon. The '90s Bills were great, but they never topped the mountain, and I want more from this team. So when I heard announcers saying Allen may be the next Kelly, gag me. Never seen two such different QBs. Except maybe in the toughness department.

I’m going to double dip a bit here.. McDermott specifically had dinner with Bruce and Jim among others when he was first hired… 

Proving how detail-oriented he is, McDermott even asked if he could take notes on his phone during the meeting. Tasker said the purpose of the meeting was to help him understand “why our team was different, and still is.”

Weird… 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/buffalowdown.com/2017/04/06/buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-legends/amp/

Edited by JGMcD2

11 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

This train of thought is exactly why my generation sucks. Think we know it all and laugh off the experience of those who came before us - it is idiotic. You don't have to see eye to eye with everything they said, did or suggest to do now... but there's always some knowledge to be gained from someone. Even if 99.9% of what they say is eyewash... you can use the other 0.1%. 

Great quote one of my coworkers (who is much older than me) shared with me a few weeks back "There are no friends or enemies, only teachers."

You're hurting yourself if you're not trying to learn from someone else at all times. 

completely agree, it is the height of arrogance and stupidity to not listen to someone who has done it before you and at a high level. I supervise someone who is in their 50's and he has a wealth of managerial experience, I'm 36 and use him as a resource constantly and I believe I'm better at my job for it. It doesn't mean I'm not competent  on my own, but it shows that I can humble myself and learn from someone who has done it before me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

20 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Kelly passed the torch a quarter century ago to Todd Collins. How’d that work out?

I call BS.  I don't remember a photo of the two together, much less with Jim pointing in it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

completely agree, it is the height of arrogance and stupidity to not listen to someone who has done it before you and at a high level. I supervise someone who is in their 50's and he has a wealth of managerial experience, I'm 36 and use him as a resource constantly and I believe I'm better at my job for it. It doesn't mean I'm not competent  on my own, but it shows that I can humble myself and learn from someone who has done it before me.

Some intelligent people (and almost all unintelligent people) don't have the ability to humble themselves to gain experience through others, which is invaluable. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Some intelligent people (and almost all unintelligent people) don't have the ability to humble themselves to gain experience through others, which is invaluable. 

I apologize in advance for a slight tangent. When I first met my wife she worked for a boutique trust company at a low level. An older guy ran the place, and he took her under his wing. He told her uncomfortable things, like how she had to change her hair to appear more mature, or what to wear. You could get in trouble for that these days, but he wanted to groom her. She wanted to learn. 

Decades later, she has done a great job of building a fine career for herself. When a major decision comes along she will still reach out to her mentor and hear what he thinks. It’s a great relationship. 

One of my favorite things about my wife is how she takes promising young people under HER wing. She will hire and develop people she has faith in and give them her full attention. After the fact I learned from some of these people she even paid out of her own pocket for them to get additional education/credentials. She is paying it back, in her own way. 

I have to love Jimbo even more for being there for Josh. It’s important for Josh to be able to keep things in perspective, and I think a mentor like Kelly can help him with that. Life can be easier if you have someone who has been there before you to show the way. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

On 6/6/2021 at 11:44 PM, Jim said:

Happy Jim is doing well. He's been a great spokesman for the Bills and the city of Buffalo...

But it's time for him to remove himself from the stage. Him, Bruce, Thurman, all of them. Tasker doesn't count as he's actually working and doing a job that involves the team. 

But anyways, when I think about Bruce sending a note to Rousseau or whatever it was, I roll my eyes. I highly doubt that anything Bruce Smith (who hasn't played in the league since 2003) is gonna tell Greg Rousseau is gonna give him an edge he wouldn't get from all the coaching and words from his current teammates. I mean maybe Bruce could tell him about his experience playing against Tom Brady (yes Bruce actually played against him in '03, incredible!), but that's about it.

I don't mean to be a dick, but c'mon. The '90s Bills were great, but they never topped the mountain, and I want more from this team. So when I heard announcers saying Allen may be the next Kelly, gag me. Never seen two such different QBs. Except maybe in the toughness department.

great post probi ... sigh

On 6/6/2021 at 11:44 PM, Jim said:

Happy Jim is doing well. He's been a great spokesman for the Bills and the city of Buffalo...

But it's time for him to remove himself from the stage. Him, Bruce, Thurman, all of them. Tasker doesn't count as he's actually working and doing a job that involves the team. 

You don't mean to be a dick, but yet.....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, thronethinker said:

Why is Josh Allen looking like a ghost n that pic? You can see through his body above the waist. 

It's his shirt.  It coincidentally lines-up with the railing on the right side of the picture (but not the left) and the light part above it looks like the background.

I’m not buying it. Allen should be soaking up advise and letting Jim be a mentor to him which he is. Same thing with number 1 draft pick Greg Rousseau. Smith can tell him what it was like for him as a rookie and what Smith learned during his rookie year and what changes he made to get him self in shape and become the hall of famer he would become. To say these Bills hall of famers should bow out is really short sided in my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1