Critical Race Theory

5 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Critical Race Theory Permeates North Carolina Schools, Task Force Formed By Lt. Gov. Finds

https://legalinsurrection.com/2021/08/critical-race-theory-permeates-north-carolina-schools-task-force-formed-by-lt-gov-finds/

But he either is wrong or lying according to some 'experts' here.

9 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Critical Race Theory Permeates North Carolina Schools, Task Force Formed By Lt. Gov. Finds

https://legalinsurrection.com/2021/08/critical-race-theory-permeates-north-carolina-schools-task-force-formed-by-lt-gov-finds/

So, B, let's take this through to its natural conclusion.  

If he is lying, he will be exposed, as will the 'twelve teachers...board members...and other community members' who perpetrated the heinous fraud upon the people.  

As I said, friction and dialogue are good things, though there can be pain in the process.  

18 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I read through the link.  I didn’t see anything that said the actual CRT material was being taught.  Some are upset that teachers are advocating for BLM, but that is not CRT.  CRT is a specific theory about how our laws and such are influenced by conscious and unconscious history of racism.  The problem is people take other things they may not like and throw them under the blanket CRT label to try and inflame things.

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I have seen reports on outraged and concerned parents speaking passionately at school board meetings and the like, and I'm struggling to see why that's a problem.   The flip side of the argument is that school board members and administrators seem to think the decision(s) they render are beyond reproach.  This is a byproduct of that particular industry going unchecked for too long, with whatever passes for oversight coming in the form of people that benefit from the system as well.  Finally, you mix in a customer base that is compelled to contribute and support the system regardless of outcome and it can be a recipe for disaster. 

If the educators are fighting the good fight, there is nothing to be concerned about.  On a very basic and fundamental level, friction and push back are a good thing, and long overdue in many school districts. 

A few years back, our school district submitted a bond proposal looking for $44m dollars.  The community rejected it, and the superintendent bemoaned the attacks on the system and what she characterized as misinformation on the proposal.  My hot button issue was the $9m line item for 'just in case' as the projected cost was $35m.  As I read through the proposal--updated computer lab, general building maintenance, air conditioning---most of it was fine, though I have no idea if it was fair and reasonable.  The issue with the $9m slusher was the assurance that if it wasn't needed, the district would find a way to spend it.  That was a deal breaker for me, and I shared my thoughts in a letter to the superintendent.  Thankfully, the following year, they were able to get by on the skinny $35m they originally needed the following year.  

Friction, push back, questions, frustration and and the like are net positives even when they go against your particular political ideology.  The recall effort in Loudon County is the American system working correctly and is a good thing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/loudoun-recall-school-board/2021/08/25/9f9e45c2-05d0-11ec-8c3f-3526f81b233b_story.html

As for DEI and SEL, these are new terms to me so I'll consider what you said.  A quick check into SEL led me to a site on the city of Buffalo and an initiative there.  The biggest challenge for me was despite reading about 30 web pages in total, I have no idea what they are actually doing.   It read like one rambling corporate memo that describes in the most benign terms possible how 2700 people losing their jobs in a restructuring is actually good for them.   

Write back when you read up on DEI and SEL

5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Typical liberal bureaucrat… feels the peons of the world need to abide by the rules they make, but no need to follow themselves.  

They’re  too enlightened. 

Conservatives have really failed to label them as the true  supremacists in the room… 

Woke Supremacists. 

35 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You seem to be fixated on these acronyms.  We hire based on ability not diversity....and yet we are of course very diverse.  So?

They are being bastardized by those who don't like CRT.  They try to lump them together with CRT and they are not the same thing.  

We do DEI training every year and it has benefitted our health care network.  

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

They are being bastardized by those who don't like CRT.  They try to lump them together with CRT and they are not the same thing.  

You are going off on an odd tangent here.  You want school children to get (or need) a course in Diversity hiring practices?  Why?  I assume the School District may be conducting this type of training for and through their HR Department.

On 8/14/2021 at 6:44 PM, BillStime said:

image.thumb.jpeg.483f73b0fa009c18c8e6991c6b9fcef0.jpeg

This reminds me of that time they were renovating an old church in Germany. They accidentally exhumed Ludwig Van Beethoven's grave.  They opened up the casket and Ludwig was lying there. Next to him was a stack of sheet music. He had a pencil eraser in his hand and was erasing one of pages. They asked, "Ludwig, what are you doing?", to which he replied " Decomposing!"

7 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

How has diversity training improved healthcare? If you mean being aware that certain ethnics have certain diseases and conditions that more prevalent I can see it otherwise what are they teaching you?

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

How has diversity training improved healthcare? If you mean being aware that certain ethnics have certain diseases and conditions that more prevalent I can see it otherwise what are they teaching you?

It has helped in healthcare, but this is all a red herring because CRT is nothing like Diversity training.

17 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Again if you think that teachers in schools are going to stick with what CRT is and not use the opportunity to push a guilt agenda you've not been paying attention. This is what most of us are concerned about.  Not CRT itself.  

10 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

What? We’re saying that doctors need to be trained to see the color of people’s skin so they can treat diseases? No. I believe Old Man is referring to the HIRING practices within his healthcare network, not the actual medical treatments provided to people of color. Maybe he can clarify this for us. I’m praying it’s not the practice of medicine! 

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

What? We’re saying that doctors need to be trained to see the color of people’s skin so they can treat diseases? No. I believe Old Man is referring to the HIRING practices within his healthcare network, not the actual medical treatments provided to people of color. Maybe he can clarify this for us. I’m praying it’s not the practice of medicine! 

No it is not the practice of medicine.  If anyone actually denied care to a patient based on race in our network they’d get bounced so quickly their head would spin.

Where DEI benefits our organization is helping all employees understand you can sometimes exert unconscious behaviors or biases that can negatively impact the workplace and thus impact our care of patients.  You kind of give away your own bias about lumping DEI together with CRT by focusing your question on race.  DEI does not do so; DEI helps understand that we need to recognize potential biases against anyone: women, men, LGTBQ community, immigrant populations, difference in employment status, differences in socioeconomic status.  And yes race.  

I’ll give you an example of where DEI has helped our organization: relationship of doctors and nurses.  We had an issue with some docs just ripping nurses to shreds (male or female) because they viewed them as underlings, as uneducated.  When DEI education was introduced as mandatory every year, docs realized their implicit bias. Relationships between nursing staff and physicians improved.  Our patient care improved, patient’s evaluation of their care improved, and that improved our Medicare receivables.

My point is that DEI and SEL (socioeconomic learning) is much more that race.  Much more.  You ask how it can affect schooling.  Because kids should understand that they all get a shot at a good education, that biases against their fellow students are not healthy, and because when their education is completed and they enter the work force understanding that will be essential.  I can give you a couple practical examples.  The city where I live is middle to upper middle class, and about 80% of students are white, 5% Asian, 10% black, and the remaining other minorities primarily Hispanic.  Many kids are well off economically, but about 10% of the total student body is on assisted lunch and other programs because they are too poor to afford things like lunch or backpacks or other learning essentials.  DEI teaching in our schools has helped the more affluent kids understand the difficulties of those classmates, and in return we see the more affluent kids on their own start programs to raise money at football games, choir concerts, and such to help out their fellow students.  Those students benefit from that, they have a better attitude towards learning and thrive.  It’s a great thing to see.

The schools aren’t perfect yet.  There is still bullying based on race, kids are still called the N word.  My daughter before she graduated was teased because she’s Asian, and people would assume she was smart and that her parents made her study 8 hours a night, not knowing she’s adopted.  But overall by inclusion of DEI and SEL principals in the schools we see a more inclusive learning environment where the contributions and talents of each kid are celebrated and rewarded.

So that is why I keep talking about the DEI and SEL concepts.  Because I see value in them, and because I am tired of seeing people who are not proponents of CRT lump everything together.  I have read some on CRT and it has nothing to do with the other concepts.  CRT is a theory and theories are just that.  My impression of CRT is that it reminds me of scientific papers that I review and reject; that the authors have a theory and then seek to bend data to fit their theory, rather than let data drive the formulation of a theory.  I suspect the original proponents of CRT did just that, and as such I’m skeptical.

Sorry for the lengthy reply, but I hope it clarifies my position.  Go Bills!

41 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

No it is not the practice of medicine.  If anyone actually denied care to a patient based on race in our network they’d get bounced so quickly their head would spin.

Where DEI benefits our organization is helping all employees understand you can sometimes exert unconscious behaviors or biases that can negatively impact the workplace and thus impact our care of patients.  You kind of give away your own bias about lumping DEI together with CRT by focusing your question on race.  DEI does not do so; DEI helps understand that we need to recognize potential biases against anyone: women, men, LGTBQ community, immigrant populations, difference in employment status, differences in socioeconomic status.  And yes race.  

I’ll give you an example of where DEI has helped our organization: relationship of doctors and nurses.  We had an issue with some docs just ripping nurses to shreds (male or female) because they viewed them as underlings, as uneducated.  When DEI education was introduced as mandatory every year, docs realized their implicit bias. Relationships between nursing staff and physicians improved.  Our patient care improved, patient’s evaluation of their care improved, and that improved our Medicare receivables.

My point is that DEI and SEL (socioeconomic learning) is much more that race.  Much more.  You ask how it can affect schooling.  Because kids should understand that they all get a shot at a good education, that biases against their fellow students are not healthy, and because when their education is completed and they enter the work force understanding that will be essential.  I can give you a couple practical examples.  The city where I live is middle to upper middle class, and about 80% of students are white, 5% Asian, 10% black, and the remaining other minorities primarily Hispanic.  Many kids are well off economically, but about 10% of the total student body is on assisted lunch and other programs because they are too poor to afford things like lunch or backpacks or other learning essentials.  DEI teaching in our schools has helped the more affluent kids understand the difficulties of those classmates, and in return we see the more affluent kids on their own start programs to raise money at football games, choir concerts, and such to help out their fellow students.  Those students benefit from that, they have a better attitude towards learning and thrive.  It’s a great thing to see.

The schools aren’t perfect yet.  There is still bullying based on race, kids are still called the N word.  My daughter before she graduated was teased because she’s Asian, and people would assume she was smart and that her parents made her study 8 hours a night, not knowing she’s adopted.  But overall by inclusion of DEI and SEL principals in the schools we see a more inclusive learning environment where the contributions and talents of each kid are celebrated and rewarded.

So that is why I keep talking about the DEI and SEL concepts.  Because I see value in them, and because I am tired of seeing people who are not proponents of CRT lump everything together.  I have read some on CRT and it has nothing to do with the other concepts.  CRT is a theory and theories are just that.  My impression of CRT is that it reminds me of scientific papers that I review and reject; that the authors have a theory and then seek to bend data to fit their theory, rather than let data drive the formulation of a theory.  I suspect the original proponents of CRT did just that, and as such I’m skeptical.

Sorry for the lengthy reply, but I hope it clarifies my position.  Go Bills!

What the?

Stop it now! I didn’t bring up DEI … you did!!!!

This has all become total horse crap! 

Enjoy your little politically correct bubble.