Critical Race Theory

13 minutes ago, B-Man said:

"Why don't they want history taught' ?  -- misinformed CRT backers.

#RESIST: 

1776 Unites, An Org. Primarily Run By African-American Scholars Blast Racist CRT Curriculum.

MUCH more at the link: https://lidblog.com/1776-unite/

This is so much more hopeful and motivating than the hate and destruction BLM stands for...👍

• Agree 1

CRT BY ANY OTHER NAME: Is still Critical Race Theory (CRT) and The Federalist’s Julie Barrett has a useful tutorial on how to identify its use in your school district’s classrooms.

Pro Tip: “Social-Emotional Learning” has nothing to do with learning, it’s just another deceptive label for a CRT-based curriculum.

firstdayschool-998x663.jpg

https://thefederalist.com/2021/08/18/how-to-see-if-critical-race-theory-is-in-your-kids-school-and-fight-it/?&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=the_federalist_daily_briefing_2021_08_18&utm_term=2021-08-18

23 minutes ago, BillStime said:

👆Pushing propaganda and helping the GQP fund raise off the cause… it’s all about the money money money 

Basically if anyone tells the truth these animals try and attack them. The Republican Party is basically just a caldron of hate that spews lies like snakes spew venom. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Basically if anyone tells the truth these animals try and attack them. The Republican Party is basically just a caldron of hate that spews lies like snakes spew venom. 

I really really really hate Republicans because they are so hateful.  :lol:

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'll keep saying this, but CRT is, first, a theory and as such can be debated and as such is not necessarily right on things.  Second, CRT is not being taught in secondary schools.  If you have a specific example of a secondary school system showing that CRT is part of their approved curriculum, show me and I'll stand corrected for the specific school system.  But this constant drumbeat on CRT as if is being taught in every school system in the country is bull crap.  

What also is bull crap is equating CRT to other things like DEI and SEL.  DEI seeks to make all peoples aware of the others concerns and histories, and as such seeks to bring people together, the exact thing those against CRT claim to want.  SEL seeks to ensure that kids from different socioeconomic situations get the same shot at learning and has nothing to do with CRT.

The Trumpists need to suck it up, quit trying to scare the American public, and actually try and win votes by formulating policies that the majority of voters want.  

10 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I'll keep saying this, but CRT is, first, a theory and as such can be debated and as such is not necessarily right on things.  Second, CRT is not being taught in secondary schools.  If you have a specific example of a secondary school system showing that CRT is part of their approved curriculum, show me and I'll stand corrected for the specific school system.  But this constant drumbeat on CRT as if is being taught in every school system in the country is bull crap.  

What also is bull crap is equating CRT to other things like DEI and SEL.  DEI seeks to make all peoples aware of the others concerns and histories, and as such seeks to bring people together, the exact thing those against CRT claim to want.  SEL seeks to ensure that kids from different socioeconomic situations get the same shot at learning and has nothing to do with CRT.

The Trumpists need to suck it up, quit trying to scare the American public, and actually try and win votes by formulating policies that the majority of voters want.  

BULL!  These type of look-at-me victimhood theories have no place in the melting pot of America. Even if well intentioned (which I'm not sure they even are) they do more harm than good, as many will adopt this as a convenient excuse to claim the cards are stacked against them and quit. 

While elsewhere in the world we have people of color trying to hang onto the outside of cargo planes mid-flight for just the slimmest  chance of getting to America.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

BULL!  These type of look-at-me victimhood theories have no place in the melting pot of America. Even if well intentioned (which I'm not sure they even are) they do more harm than good, as many will adopt this as a convenient excuse to claim the cards are stacked against them and quit. 

While elsewhere in the world we have people of color trying to hang onto the outside of cargo planes mid-flight for just the slimmest  chance of getting to America.

You are wrong, you know you’re wrong, and you refuse to admit it.  At least admit CRT has nothing to do with the DEI training most businesses now utilize as it helps them compete.

• Dislike 1

32 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You are wrong, you know you’re wrong, and you refuse to admit it.  At least admit CRT has nothing to do with the DEI training most businesses now utilize as it helps them compete.

Sorry.... I am not wrong. All of this is utter nonsense. I am the President of a large and diverse company.  The moment I start judging people by the color of their skin, all is lost. They don't want to be judged that way or to be treated any differently because of their outward appearance. I sit in meetings all day long with people of very diverse backgrounds (both white and blue collar). Nobody cares about anything other than whether you can do your job and communicate effectively!  What we REALLY need is for schools to be teaching good communication skills. It 'trumps' everything else, every time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/25/2021 at 3:31 PM, oldmanfan said:

I have seen reports on outraged and concerned parents speaking passionately at school board meetings and the like, and I'm struggling to see why that's a problem.   The flip side of the argument is that school board members and administrators seem to think the decision(s) they render are beyond reproach.  This is a byproduct of that particular industry going unchecked for too long, with whatever passes for oversight coming in the form of people that benefit from the system as well.  Finally, you mix in a customer base that is compelled to contribute and support the system regardless of outcome and it can be a recipe for disaster. 

If the educators are fighting the good fight, there is nothing to be concerned about.  On a very basic and fundamental level, friction and push back are a good thing, and long overdue in many school districts. 

A few years back, our school district submitted a bond proposal looking for $44m dollars.  The community rejected it, and the superintendent bemoaned the attacks on the system and what she characterized as misinformation on the proposal.  My hot button issue was the $9m line item for 'just in case' as the projected cost was $35m.  As I read through the proposal--updated computer lab, general building maintenance, air conditioning---most of it was fine, though I have no idea if it was fair and reasonable.  The issue with the $9m slusher was the assurance that if it wasn't needed, the district would find a way to spend it.  That was a deal breaker for me, and I shared my thoughts in a letter to the superintendent.  Thankfully, the following year, they were able to get by on the skinny $35m they originally needed the following year.  

Friction, push back, questions, frustration and and the like are net positives even when they go against your particular political ideology.  The recall effort in Loudon County is the American system working correctly and is a good thing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/loudoun-recall-school-board/2021/08/25/9f9e45c2-05d0-11ec-8c3f-3526f81b233b_story.html

As for DEI and SEL, these are new terms to me so I'll consider what you said.  A quick check into SEL led me to a site on the city of Buffalo and an initiative there.  The biggest challenge for me was despite reading about 30 web pages in total, I have no idea what they are actually doing.   It read like one rambling corporate memo that describes in the most benign terms possible how 2700 people losing their jobs in a restructuring is actually good for them.   

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I have seen reports on outraged and concerned parents speaking passionately at school board meetings and the like, and I'm struggling to see why that's a problem.   The flip side of the argument is that school board members and administrators seem to think the decision(s) they render are beyond reproach.  This is a byproduct of that particular industry going unchecked for too long, with whatever passes for oversight coming in the form of people that benefit from the system as well.  Finally, you mix in a customer base that is compelled to contribute and support the system regardless of outcome and it can be a recipe for disaster. 

If the educators are fighting the good fight, there is nothing to be concerned about.  On a very basic and fundamental level, friction and push back are a good thing, and long overdue in many school districts. 

A few years back, our school district submitted a bond proposal looking for $44m dollars.  The community rejected it, and the superintendent bemoaned the attacks on the system and what she characterized as misinformation on the proposal.  My hot button issue was the $9m line item for 'just in case' as the projected cost was $35m.  As I read through the proposal--updated computer lab, general building maintenance, air conditioning---most of it was fine, though I have no idea if it was fair and reasonable.  The issue with the $9m slusher was the assurance that if it wasn't needed, the district would find a way to spend it.  That was a deal breaker for me, and I shared my thoughts in a letter to the superintendent.  Thankfully, the following year, they were able to get by on the skinny $35m they originally needed the following year.  

Friction, push back, questions, frustration and and the like are net positives even when they go against your particular political ideology.  The recall effort in Loudon County is the American system working correctly and is a good thing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/loudoun-recall-school-board/2021/08/25/9f9e45c2-05d0-11ec-8c3f-3526f81b233b_story.html

As for DEI and SEL, these are new terms to me so I'll consider what you said.  A quick check into SEL led me to a site on the city of Buffalo and an initiative there.  The biggest challenge for me was despite reading about 30 web pages in total, I have no idea what they are actually doing.   It read like one rambling corporate memo that describes in the most benign terms possible how 2700 people losing their jobs in a restructuring is actually good for them.   

Ok one comment here.  It would be pretty easy to research the cost of all the upgrades to the school to ascertain whether or not they were (as we say in my industry) fair and reasonable. Why didn’t you do that? 

14 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Ok one comment here.  It would be pretty easy to research the cost of all the upgrades to the school to ascertain whether or not they were (as we say in my industry) fair and reasonable. Why didn’t you do that? 

I disagree with your premise that it would be 'pretty easy' to research the scope of work quoted, alternative options for repair, the nature of the bidding process (local v out of state, union v non-union) relative obsolescence of equipment, and 'want' v 'need and so on.  I try to do that on my own projects, sometimes successfully, sometimes less so.  

Be that as it may, that wasn't really my particular hot button issue.  I recognize the need for improvements and upgrades, and could spend several hours a day tilting windmills about cost, who does what and to whom.  My issue was as stated--on a publicly funded $35,000,000 build out, it seemed unreasonable to include $9,000,000 additional for unforseen costs.  It seemed patently outrageous to suggest that if the good citizens of Anytown, NY dug deep to include the override 'just in case', that the school district would have so little regard for the dollar as to say "Trust us, we'll spend it on good sh&t.".   

So, I trust, but only to a point.

Btw, I heard you burn **** in the kitchen all day long.  

• Haha (+1) 1