Critical Race Theory

12 hours ago, BillStime said:

image.thumb.jpeg.483f73b0fa009c18c8e6991c6b9fcef0.jpeg

Can't teach what Twit for Brains

12 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Zealots generally are not very helpful to any cause.  She looks like a prime example.

Would you consider some wanting to incorporate CRT (or race relations) in our schools to impressionable children as zealots?

51 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Can't teach what Twit for Brains

Would you consider some wanting to incorporate CRT (or race relations) in our schools to impressionable children as zealots?

CRT to my knowledge is not being taught in elementary my or high schools so your point is moot.  If someone tried to push it on school systems to teach then yes they would be.

I have said numerous times I do not think CRT should be taught at a secondary school level.  I have also said that diversity, equity and inclusion education should be and that there are folks, including parents, saying it is the same as CRT, which it is not, and that parents are shamefully using their children as political pawns.

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

CRT to my knowledge is not being taught in elementary my or high schools so your point is moot.  If someone tried to push it on school systems to teach then yes they would be.

I have said numerous times I do not think CRT should be taught at a secondary school level.  I have also said that diversity, equity and inclusion education should be and that there are folks, including parents, saying it is the same as CRT, which it is not, and that parents are shamefully using their children as political pawns.

How about we just teach kids to judge others on the content of their character instead on the color of their skin? Will that work for you? 

28 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

How about we just teach kids to judge others on the content of their character instead on the color of their skin? Will that work for you? 

That is what diversity, equity and inclusion teaches.  Will that work for you?

My point is absolutely not moot because they are discussing it being taught.  I have no problem teaching the theory.  My problem is, and has always been, what agenda will our teachers use under the umbrella of "oh we're just teaching CRT"   It's the adlibbing that will concern me. 

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

My point is absolutely not moot because they are discussing it being taught.  I have no problem teaching the theory.  My problem is, and has always been, what agenda will our teachers use under the umbrella of "oh we're just teaching CRT"   It's the adlibbing that will concern me. 

They are not discussing it being taught by and large.  It is right wing demagogues saying they are teaching it with no evidence as such.

Again, in the district where I live the superintendent had to deal with parents yelling and screaming about it.  When he pointed out that the curriculum is controlled by the state Department of Education and includes nothing about CRT, the parents with a political agenda had already left the meeting because they did not want to hear the truth.

Parents yelling about this are using their kids as political pawns.  It is shameful.

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

That is what diversity, equity and inclusion teaches.  Will that work for you?

Dude you believe in the goodness of politicians to an absurd level. The idea of equity is the opposite of judging someone on their character. Equity says that people should have the same outcome regardless of character or skills. 

55 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

They are not discussing it being taught by and large.  It is right wing demagogues saying they are teaching it with no evidence as such.

Again, in the district where I live the superintendent had to deal with parents yelling and screaming about it.  When he pointed out that the curriculum is controlled by the state Department of Education and includes nothing about CRT, the parents with a political agenda had already left the meeting because they did not want to hear the truth.

Parents yelling about this are using their kids as political pawns.  It is shameful.

So you have faith in a) politicians creating school curriculum (left or right) and b)

teachers following the curriculum and not ad libbing or editorializing? 

17 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Dude you believe in the goodness of politicians to an absurd level. The idea of equity is the opposite of judging someone on their character. Equity says that people should have the same outcome regardless of character or skills. 

Dude I have taken training in it every year as part of my workplace mandatory yearly requirements.  My daughter is a DEI counselor.  I understand it.  The idea is to help everyone understand why we should all be judged by the content of their character.  And my training has nothing to do with politicians, it’s because the board and CEO of our health network know it makes a better workplace.

9 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

So you have faith in a) politicians creating school curriculum (left or right) and b)

Some districts have re-branded CRT racist teachings as "anti-racism curriculums" while claiming educators are under attack from organized right wing groups.  So change the narrative and when cornered play the victim which as we know is the number one go-to move of the far-left.

12 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I believe people who are trained in educational process should design curriculum.  What is going on now is right wing politicians trying to hijack the process for their political purpose, and left wing politicians trying to hijack the process for their political purpose.  And worst of all parents using their kids as political pawns as mentioned earlier.

And if a teacher goes off the reservation then that should be addressed with the teacher and up the chain if needed.  Regardless of the situation.  I have had to follow that process once when I basically had to teach my daughter Anatomy and physiology because the teacher was wrong on too many things.  I did not, however, manufacture a crisis and go screaming in front of the school board totally disrupting things to do so.

2 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Some districts have re-branded CRT racist teachings as "anti-racism curriculums" while claiming educators are under attack from organized right wing groups.  So change the narrative and when cornered play the victim which as we know is the number one go-to move of the far-left.

One of the right wing nuts manufacturing the CRT nonsense in our community, who also is one of the rabid anti-mask nuts, snuck into our high school and started taking pictures of classrooms because they had masks required signs.  She started ranting that these are the same teachers want CRT and posted this nonsense.  

Now, the fact that those mask signs were from last year because teachers had not come back to school yet, and the fact that CRT is in fact not taught, we’re of course ignored.  And several teachers have now been threatened.  So yes, the attacks from organized groups are real.

46 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I believe people who are trained in educational process should design curriculum.  What is going on now is right wing politicians trying to hijack the process for their political purpose, and left wing politicians trying to hijack the process for their political purpose.  And worst of all parents using their kids as political pawns as mentioned earlier. 

And if a teacher goes off the reservation then that should be addressed with the teacher and up the chain if needed.  Regardless of the situation.  I have had to follow that process once when I basically had to teach my daughter Anatomy and physiology because the teacher was wrong on too many things.  I did not, however, manufacture a crisis and go screaming in front of the school board totally disrupting things to do so.

One of the right wing nuts manufacturing the CRT nonsense in our community, who also is one of the rabid anti-mask nuts, snuck into our high school and started taking pictures of classrooms because they had masks required signs.  She started ranting that these are the same teachers want CRT and posted this nonsense.  

Now, the fact that those mask signs were from last year because teachers had not come back to school yet, and the fact that CRT is in fact not taught, we’re of course ignored.  And several teachers have now been threatened.  So yes, the attacks from organized groups are real.

I agree that educators should design the curriculum.  But that doesn't imply educators should hold dictatorial powers while parents and other stakeholders have zero say and input into what ultimately gets taught and what doesn't to their children.  

But maybe if our educators and school districts would focus on producing students with a high level of competency in the basics like math and science where U.S. student performance ranks poorly worldwide before moving into social justice curriculums there might be less yelling and shouting?  

And while I don't endorse the idea that child indoctrination into any kind of ideology is a role the educational system should be assuming I'm puzzled why the left which has organized and controlled the education narrative unchallenged for decades is now raising the alarm that groups pushing back on them are "organized".  A tactic they've used with great success.

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Dude I have taken training in it every year as part of my workplace mandatory yearly requirements.  My daughter is a DEI counselor.  I understand it.  The idea is to help everyone understand why we should all be judged by the content of their character.  And my training has nothing to do with politicians, it’s because the board and CEO of our health network know it makes a better workplace.

Equity that simply becomes equal outcomes does not make any workplace better. It is a fact that some people are more useful than others in certain jobs, and the incompetent should be rewarded equally with the competent. My union does not help good teachers it protects the bad ones so we are all treated with equity and you wonder why good teachers leave.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Equity that simply becomes equal outcomes does not make any workplace better. It is a fact that some people are more useful than others in certain jobs, and the incompetent should be rewarded equally with the competent. My union does not help good teachers it protects the bad ones so we are all treated with equity and you wonder why good teachers leave.

Equity should mean an equal shot as far as I’m concerned.  What you do with it is on you.  I agree that you don’t keep bad folks to meet some kind of quota, but the idea is to open up more opportunities for those who may have been closed out.

Equity should mean an equal shot as far as I’m concerned.  What you do with it is on you.  I agree that you don’t keep bad folks to meet some kind of quota, but the idea is to open up more opportunities for those who may have been closed out.

What do you mean?  What opportunities and who have been closed out?  

9 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

An equal shot is called equality. The reason it has basically been abandoned by liberals is it means hard work. Equity means equal results and pretends that some God given skill and hard work are not the main reason for success 

• Haha (+1) 1

Wow what a frightening discussion. Equity and diversity definitely do NOT mean equal opportunity! They’re both terms that measure OUTCOMES. We’ve had anti-discrimination laws in this country for years. This latest push is intended to bypass those laws on the ridiculous notion that somehow board rooms, locker rooms, and staff lounges will all magically be improved if the class photo looks more like a rainbow coalition. I have no idea why the quality of the photo with something as random as skin pigmentation. Why not stature? Why not left handededness? Why not waste size? Baldness?

• Thank you (+1) 1