Critical Race Theory

59 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

No it is not the practice of medicine.  If anyone actually denied care to a patient based on race in our network they’d get bounced so quickly their head would spin.

Where DEI benefits our organization is helping all employees understand you can sometimes exert unconscious behaviors or biases that can negatively impact the workplace and thus impact our care of patients.  You kind of give away your own bias about lumping DEI together with CRT by focusing your question on race.  DEI does not do so; DEI helps understand that we need to recognize potential biases against anyone: women, men, LGTBQ community, immigrant populations, difference in employment status, differences in socioeconomic status.  And yes race.  

I’ll give you an example of where DEI has helped our organization: relationship of doctors and nurses.  We had an issue with some docs just ripping nurses to shreds (male or female) because they viewed them as underlings, as uneducated.  When DEI education was introduced as mandatory every year, docs realized their implicit bias. Relationships between nursing staff and physicians improved.  Our patient care improved, patient’s evaluation of their care improved, and that improved our Medicare receivables.

My point is that DEI and SEL (socioeconomic learning) is much more that race.  Much more.  You ask how it can affect schooling.  Because kids should understand that they all get a shot at a good education, that biases against their fellow students are not healthy, and because when their education is completed and they enter the work force understanding that will be essential.  I can give you a couple practical examples.  The city where I live is middle to upper middle class, and about 80% of students are white, 5% Asian, 10% black, and the remaining other minorities primarily Hispanic.  Many kids are well off economically, but about 10% of the total student body is on assisted lunch and other programs because they are too poor to afford things like lunch or backpacks or other learning essentials.  DEI teaching in our schools has helped the more affluent kids understand the difficulties of those classmates, and in return we see the more affluent kids on their own start programs to raise money at football games, choir concerts, and such to help out their fellow students.  Those students benefit from that, they have a better attitude towards learning and thrive.  It’s a great thing to see.

The schools aren’t perfect yet.  There is still bullying based on race, kids are still called the N word.  My daughter before she graduated was teased because she’s Asian, and people would assume she was smart and that her parents made her study 8 hours a night, not knowing she’s adopted.  But overall by inclusion of DEI and SEL principals in the schools we see a more inclusive learning environment where the contributions and talents of each kid are celebrated and rewarded.

So that is why I keep talking about the DEI and SEL concepts.  Because I see value in them, and because I am tired of seeing people who are not proponents of CRT lump everything together.  I have read some on CRT and it has nothing to do with the other concepts.  CRT is a theory and theories are just that.  My impression of CRT is that it reminds me of scientific papers that I review and reject; that the authors have a theory and then seek to bend data to fit their theory, rather than let data drive the formulation of a theory.  I suspect the original proponents of CRT did just that, and as such I’m skeptical.

Sorry for the lengthy reply, but I hope it clarifies my position.  Go Bills!

That is well said and not what I thought you meant by Diversity training. That kind of training is good and helpful. We do it at my school every year but it is not wrapped in that name. I will agree that CRT is very different than what you have described. CRT is a Theory similar to phrenology, it was presented by finding only evidence that supports your beliefs and ignoring the majority of evidence that shows it is incorrect. 

27 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

What the?

Stop it now! I didn’t bring up DEI … you did!!!!

This has all become total horse crap! 

Enjoy your little politically correct bubble.

I was replying to the guy you replied to who asked how diversity training has helped health care.  You said to him you hoped it wasn’t health care but hiring practices.  Thus my comment.  

So stick it.  

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I was replying to the guy you replied to who asked how diversity training has helped health care.  You said to him you hoped it wasn’t health care but hiring practices.  Thus my comment.  

So stick it.  

Nice try Old Man

You were replying to me. Go back and look.

57 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Nice try Old Man

You were replying to me. Go back and look.

God you are ignorant.  You replied to the guy asking about how DEI applies to a health care organization and that you hoped it didn’t mean it applied to the treatment of patients but to hiring.  So in reply under your response I wrote it does not apply to patients and then went on to explain how it does.  I then expanded my answer to address it in schools because that’s where all this crap started.

How the hell can you run a company if your reading and comprehension skills are this lousy?

18 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

God you are ignorant.  You replied to the guy asking about how DEI applies to a health care organization and that you hoped it didn’t mean it applied to the treatment of patients but to hiring.  So in reply under your response I wrote it does not apply to patients and then went on to explain how it does.  I then expanded my answer to address it in schools because that’s where all this crap started.

How the hell can you run a company if your reading and comprehension skills are this lousy?

Something has happened to you. You’ve become an insufferable know it all. YOU have been going on and on about DEI. I have no idea why. NOBODY confuses it with CRT. And if you want to see how I run a successful company feel free to interview. I guarantee we will not be considering your skin color. So pleas just bring a solid work ethic and a skill set. 

31 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Something has happened to you. You’ve become an insufferable know it all. YOU have been going on and on about DEI. I have no idea why. NOBODY confuses it with CRT. And if you want to see how I run a successful company feel free to interview. I guarantee we will not be considering your skin color. So pleas just bring a solid work ethic and a skill set. 

i received a resume with pronouns at the bottom.  instant trash.

On 8/27/2021 at 11:22 AM, oldmanfan said:

We do DEI training every year and it has

How has teaching DEI benefitted your health care network?

What metrics were used to make that determination?  Shorter hospital stays?  Less return patients for the same issue?

34 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I can send you a link from a group where I live protesting against CRT/DEI.  It is going on all over.  Open your eyes and ears.

I apologize for apparently seeming insufferable but I am tired of the lies and the BS.

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

How has teaching DEI benefitted your health care network?

What metrics were used to make that determination?  Shorter hospital stays?  Less return patients for the same issue?

Better employee retention rates for one.

12 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I can send you a link from a group where I live protesting against CRT/DEI.  It is going on all over.  Open your eyes and ears.

I apologize for apparently seeming insufferable but I am tired of the lies and the BS.

Better employee retention rates for one.

Thanks for the apology but I’m tough skinned.  You seem really tired of something that’s for sure. Don’t let it get to you. When it stops being good natured ribbing to you on here, it’s time to back away from the keyboard. 😉

Edited by SoCal Deek

11 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks for the apology but I’m tough skinned.  You seem really tired of something that’s for sure. Don’t let it get to you. When it stops being good natured ribbing to you on here, it’s time to back away from the keyboard. 😉

The Afghan thing hit me hard.  We have a group of Neanderthals in my city trying to burn books and take us back to the 1930’s. And my lab associate has been on maternity leave all summer leaving me to do all the cases for 3 months with no time off.  So I’m tired and cranky.  Thanks for the message.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

The Afghan thing hit me hard.  We have a group of Neanderthals in my city trying to burn books and take us back to the 1930’s. And my lab associate has been on maternity leave all summer leaving me to do all the cases for 3 months with no time off.  So I’m tired and cranky.  Thanks for the message.

Keep smiling…it all works out in the end. I’ve read The Book! 

A Deserved 'Moment of Truth' for Public Schools as a Record Number of Parents Opt Out

by Rick Moran

The public school system in America is in crisis — the worst crisis since the forced bussing and integration issues of the 1970s. Simply put, parents and students have lost faith in the school system to educate. They doubt whether the schools have the best interests of their students at heart. This poisonous doubt is having a tangible effect on enrollment. Despite the fact that public education is free, parents are sending their children to private schools with more reliable, more predictable policies. Enrollment in public schools nationwide declined by 3 percent last year. But it was the numbers for kindergarten enrollment

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/rick-moran/2021/08/28/a-deserved-moment-of-truth-for-public-schools-as-a-record-number-of-parents-opting-out-n1473676

Shame on you, parents with children in school. 

Shame on you for speaking out against smug school boards that treat you as if work them.

Shame on you for your anger over condescending school boards ignoring your concerns while they attempt to indoctrinate your children with the insanity of Marxist-derived critical race theory.

Shame on you for trying to stop school boards from programming young white kids with the divisive notion that they were born inherently racist and must therefore spend the rest of their lives atoning for their whiteness to people of color.

And while we’re at it, shame on you for your vitriolic outbursts against school board members over mask mandates for young children, COVID vaccines, and draconian testing requirements.

Yeah, shame on you, parents. For all of it. What the hell is wrong with you people?

https://redstate.com/mike_miller/2021/08/30/ap-throws-pity-party-for-toxic-and-impossible-job-of-school-boards-n435073

• Like (+1) 1

I had my Culturally Based Teaching training, which had an absolutely hilarious moment. As our very liberal black presenter told us how we should not Americanize African and Latino names she Americanized one of our coworkers Polish names. She also made a statement that Africans and Latino culture are not  a single culture like white culture. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

20 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I had my Culturally Based Teaching training, which had an absolutely hilarious moment. As our very liberal black presenter told us how we should not Americanize African and Latino names she Americanized one of our coworkers Polish names. She also made a statement that Africans and Latino culture are not  a single culture like white culture. 

Classic!

She probably also believes that Mexicans have always spoken Spanish. 

44 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Ahh the old "they don't want to teach about slavery and racism" dodge.......................1st time this week.

As I have stated numerous times, the poor U.S, record on race is not only taught, it is emphasized.  Slavery, the Civil War, The Civil Rights movement are all given much more class time than other subjects.  And that is fine.

What you refuse to acknowledge is that CRT is a race based approach to teaching in ALL subjects. Dividing students and not uniting them.