Jump to content

Keys to why I believe our coaching staff is successful


Recommended Posts

To keep it simple. They know what they coach and they coach what they know

 

They don't try to do too much and complicate things

 

McDermott is known for his preparation and hard work.. crafting his 43 zone defense from The legend Jim Johnson... 

 

Keep contain, hats to the ball, well-timed well executed zone blitz... Do your job... If all 11 people do their job they will have success

 

McDermott's preparation and hard work obviously trickles through the team

 

Leslie Frazier has long been known as a true teacher and developer of talent. His knowledge in the film room is unquestionable, and another Jim Johnson protege who understands what McDermott is trying to do

 

Daboll has been under one of the greatest coaches in NFL history and learned the EP system through belichick and Josh McDaniels.. 

 

Another system based on simplicity and the ability to get plays in quicker and change them on the fly.. it is not a set of plays.. but a verbiage system that is easier on the players

 

Our whole staff has a philosophy for football.. how to win on and off the field.. and they stick to the roots and Coach what they know

 

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

To keep it simple. They know what they coach and they coach what they know

 

They don't try to do too much and complicate things

 

McDermott is known for his preparation and hard work.. crafting his 43 zone defense from The legend Jim Johnson... 

 

Keep contain, hats to the ball, well-timed well executed zone blitz... Do your job... If all 11 people do their job they will have success

 

McDermott's preparation and hard work obviously trickles through the team

 

Leslie Frazier has long been known as a true teacher and developer of talent. His knowledge in the film room is unquestionable, and another Jim Johnson protege who understands what McDermott is trying to do

 

Daboll has been under one of the greatest coaches in NFL history and learned the EP system through belichick and Josh McDaniels.. 

 

Another system based on simplicity and the ability to get plays in quicker and change them on the fly.. it is not a set of plays.. but a verbiage system that is easier on the players

 

Our whole staff has a philosophy for football.. how to win on and off the field.. and they stick to the roots and Coach what they know

 

Execute the plays called.
Make the best decisions when adjusting pre snap , and allow players to trust the Coaching to make the right calls in situational football

 and gosh darnit. Have some fun out there :)
 

But for sure Bills have built a heck of a staff .

now if they could sort out the Sabres ..

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 3rdand12 said:

Execute the plays called.
Make the best decisions when adjusting pre snap , and allow players to trust the Coaching to make the right calls in situational football

 and gosh darnit. Have some fun out there :)
 

But for sure Bills have built a heck of a staff .

now if they could sort out the Sabres ..

Players always execute at higher level when they have full faith in their coaching staff 

 

We are lucky

 

 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Players always execute at higher level when they have full faith in their coaching staff 

 

We are lucky

 

 

Blessed. its a skill set

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have thought that Beane's draft success is due to the fact that he doesn't "overthink it."  You're saying you think that philosophy pervades the whole organization.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I have thought that Beane's draft success is due to the fact that he doesn't "overthink it."  You're saying you think that philosophy pervades the whole organization.

Absolutely. And it starts at the top

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope they learn how to coach what they’ve learned this offseason.  Coaching what they know will only get them so far. Adapt and advance 

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

They outcoached themselves (Daboll) in the HOU playoff loss.  They got embarrassingly outcoached in the AFCCG last year.  They need to do better in the big boy games.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

They outcoached themselves (Daboll) in the HOU playoff loss.  They got embarrassingly outcoached in the AFCCG last year.  They need to do better in the big boy games.

 

But they take VERY good care of their dogs! That’s worth something, right?  🤷‍♂️

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Gugny said:

They outcoached themselves (Daboll) in the HOU playoff loss.  They got embarrassingly outcoached in the AFCCG last year.  They need to do better in the big boy games.

I think that all 3 of them still have to learn about in game management with certain situations but that comes with Experience

 

I have no doubt that their preparation is tip top and it starts there

 

 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Absolutely. And it starts at the top

I agree. It all started with the Pegulas having the vision hiring the most amazing GM/HC combo in a very very long time. McDermott is a true players coach who puts players in a position to succeed. Beane assesses the teams needs and attacks aggressively like we saw in the Diggs trade. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I agree. It all started with the Pegulas having the vision hiring the most amazing GM/HC combo in a very very long time. McDermott is a true players coach who puts players in a position to succeed. Beane assesses the teams needs and attacks aggressively like we saw in the Diggs trade. 

This is what is most important that a lot of coaches do not do

 

McDermott always puts our players in the best chance for them to succeed. He turns Jordan Phillips into almost a double-digit sack guy because he put him in the right position 

 

Tre has been amazing since day one because he was put in the right situation to succeed

 

Zimmer has flashed in the NFL level because he is in a spot that he's comfortable with

 

It all starts at the top

Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who has coached at a semi-pro standard (soccer), it is my absolute belief that you can't coach what you don't believe. You have to be true to who you are and the way you see the game. McDermott has a very clear belief in the style of defense he wants to play and in Leslie Frazier has a guy who understands that vision. I don't think McDermott, at the point he became a Head Coach, had a particular vision for the offense but he knew that he saw out of Dennison's stretch zone style west coast scheme was not it. Daboll coaches what he knows and what he believes in. 

 

It is why I don't think it would be wise for the Bills to rip up much of what they do on the basis of the AFCCG. We do not match up great against the current Kansas City team. That is now pretty established. But we can't totally change who we are and what we do totally because of that. They have to work on much more subtle adaptations rather than a root and branch re-imagining of their plan. And in any event I still maintain we were outplayed more than we were outcoached in that game in any event. Whatever the plan when we go to Arrowhead this year the players, on both sides of the ball, have to do a much better job of executing. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

As someone who has coached at a semi-pro standard (soccer), it is my absolute belief that you can't coach what you don't believe. You have to be true to who you are and the way you see the game. McDermott has a very clear belief in the style of defense he wants to play and in Leslie Frazier has a guy who understands that vision. I don't think McDermott, at the point he became a Head Coach, had a particular vision for the offense but he knew that he saw out of Dennison's stretch zone style west coast scheme was not it. Daboll coaches what he knows and what he believes in. 

 

It is why I don't think it would be wise for the Bills to rip up much of what they do on the basis of the AFCCG. We do not match up great against the current Kansas City team. That is now pretty established. But we can't totally change who we are and what we do totally because of that. They have to work on much more subtle adaptations rather than a root and branch re-imagining of their plan. And in any event I still maintain we were outplayed more than we were outcoached in that game in any event. Whatever the plan when we go to Arrowhead this year the players, on both sides of the ball, have to do a much better job of executing. 

It went so poorly for us I still haven't rewatched that horrid game. The bad new is there is no excuse for the defense. The offense had excellent excuses that being ALL our WRs were injured to the point of loss of effectiveness. So, should the Bills find a way to keep their receivers healthier (by running more) or get more receivers (to better share the wear and tear)  I think we can match up with them much better offensively.

I was surprised the main thethe Bills did to better their defense was to acquire new defensive ends in Obama, Groot and Boogie. Most thought one-tech and CB were obvious places as well. And now seeing as how the two bigger names are rookies at DE you have to wonder how much of a difference they can provide. I'd say, if anything, the defense was worse than the offense last January and that sounds pathetic. I really have to rewatch the game before I comment more on the defense. But it feels like the defensive game plan was horrendous.

Link to post
Share on other sites

716, nice post and agree.  I’m not saying a complete parallel, but this defense at times reminds me of the same path as Dungy had with the Bucs.  So much of the comments about hats to the ball, staying in you’re lane, etc was exactly what I used to hear done here in Tampa.  Dungy built a great defense down here with Monte Kiffin.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

As someone who has coached at a semi-pro standard (soccer), it is my absolute belief that you can't coach what you don't believe. You have to be true to who you are and the way you see the game. McDermott has a very clear belief in the style of defense he wants to play and in Leslie Frazier has a guy who understands that vision. I don't think McDermott, at the point he became a Head Coach, had a particular vision for the offense but he knew that he saw out of Dennison's stretch zone style west coast scheme was not it. Daboll coaches what he knows and what he believes in. 

 

It is why I don't think it would be wise for the Bills to rip up much of what they do on the basis of the AFCCG. We do not match up great against the current Kansas City team. That is now pretty established. But we can't totally change who we are and what we do totally because of that. They have to work on much more subtle adaptations rather than a root and branch re-imagining of their plan. And in any event I still maintain we were outplayed more than we were outcoached in that game in any event. Whatever the plan when we go to Arrowhead this year the players, on both sides of the ball, have to do a much better job of executing. 

Back when Adam Gase had been at Miami for a while, the team decided they had a culture problem, so they made a decision to change the culture.  I laughed because they were treating it like a add on, like changing the defensive scheme.  It seemed to me as if it needed to be in the DNA of the team from the top down.  In Miami, that was definitely not the case, as it seemed like Gase was the source of the cancer that afflicted the team, even though he was the one who talked about improving culture.  It was no surprise to me that Miami's culture change effort collapsed and Miami had to dump Gase.  

 

I agree, Buffalo should not reinvent the wheel at this stage of the game.  They can improve some of the matchups they have versus KC, but wholesale changes will create more problems than they solve.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...