Trade 1 for a young proven player

dbfla10

58 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

Is there a player out there, that the bills could trade there 1 for that could be available? Player under 27 yrs old, that could step in right away. Similar to what the Rams have been doing.

1. no

2. as others have pointed out and Beane himself has said - we need to start relying on cost-controlled labor ie draft picks

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

We need to hit on rookie contract guys in order to stay competitive when Josh Allen's contract hits.   We can swing a Diggs trade once in a while, but that can't become a regular thing. 

If there genuinely was a Diggs level talent as a pass rusher hitting the market that could be had for a similar package I would be all for doing such a trade. However there just wasn't that player on the market. Sometimes your needs and what is on the market don't align and you have to try and take a chance in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

If there genuinely was a Diggs level talent as a pass rusher hitting the market that could be had for a similar package I would be all for doing such a trade. However there just wasn't that player on the market. Sometimes your needs and what is on the market don't align and you have to try and take a chance in the draft.

I would actually agree with this.  99% chance this would never happen, but if Chicago needed more draft ammo to trade up with Atlanta - I'd be willing to check in on Khalil Mack knowing he can't be involved in a trade with ATL due to their cap constraints. 

But i'm only doing that for elite players. 

Edited by SCBills

3 hours ago, dbfla10 said:

Is there a player out there, that the bills could trade there 1 for that could be available? Player under 27 yrs old, that could step in right away. Similar to what the Rams have been doing.

image.png.164c470b6e991600c1397a9689bdf83c.png

Love this idea, not sure who is out there that fits the young, proven player for pick 30?  

3 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Khalil Mack perhaps, but he’s 30-31 years old at this point. Even if we gave up a 1 for him I’d want at least a 3rd back.

I'd trade a 1st for Mack.  I think he has 3-4 years left of elite production.  

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

I would actually agree with this.  99% chance this would never happen, but if Chicago needed more draft ammo to trade up with Atlanta - I'd be willing to check in on Khalil Mack knowing he can't be involved in a trade with ATL due to their cap constraints. 

But i'm only doing that for elite players. 

Chicago just redid Mack's deal which makes him impossible to trade. I would have explored that possibility too as a Mack type pass rusher would have been a big help to the defense. But once again the market isn't aligning to help the Bills at this point.  

16 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Love this idea, not sure who is out there that fits the young, proven player for pick 30?  

I'd trade a 1st for Mack.  I think he has 3-4 years left of elite production.  

Even if Mack has 2 years left of elite production I would trade pick 30 for that. The Bills window to win is now and having an elite pass rusher is what this team is missing filling that hole for 2 years would be worth the 30th pick in a so/so draft for a college football year that was a full on Covid-19 season. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, dbfla10 said:

Get a guy that impacts immediately. Trading for a sure thing, could miss on the draft pick.

value of a trading for a 1st for established p,ayer— buyer beware. Many nfl players are products of system the play. Stats do t factor in teammate br efit.

i e seen too many trades of player for 1st and player  busted.

let’s not forget cap space...buffalo has none other than the slot where their picks are

Think it depends on the position. IMO RB and CB are two positions that a rookie can come in and contribute right away and be pretty effective at it. So if you were going to draft one of those positions, I'd say no, take the rookie.  Other positions like Edge, TE have longer learning curve so may be worth it there.