On this day in 1994, Dominik Hasek had a good game.

Draconator

7 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

A damn shame the Sabres couldn't win a Cup with him. 

He is one of many top shelf players whose rep took a hit until they won a championship.  Reminds me of Elway. Both were arguably better players in the years before they won it all.

2 hours ago, IslandBillsFan said:

I loved Hasek.  However, I just never understood why players didn't always try to go top shelf on him.  He seemed to always go down to the butterfly position and then start flopping around.

He was unorthodox. He ‘always went down’ because he used his legs to cover overhead. It’s called Game Changing and it earns professional athletes a Bust in a Hall of Fame.

• Like (+1) 3

I'm not a big hockey fan but was 1994 one of the best years ever for the playoffs?

This Sabres/Devils series which went to 7 games and showcased possibly the best goalie performance ever in a game by Hasek

The ECF with the Devils/Rangers Series going to the 7th game overtime.  

The 1994 finals with the Rangers/Canucks going to the 7th game 

A much younger me was at that game with a buddy from high school.  I was not yet able to drive at night so my Dad dropped me off earlier in the evening and then returned close to the end of the 3rd period to pick me up. He then waited outside from the end of the 3rd period until the end of the game.  According to him, he got fed up, left the car, walked past the now unattended turnstiles, and was on his way up to the orange level to pull me out by my ear when Hannan scored the winner.

Ahhhh the days before ubiquitous cell phones.  

On 4/27/2021 at 9:38 PM, The Jokeman said:

A damn shame the Sabres couldn't win a Cup with him. 

Exactly, the guy was amazing but couldn’t do it alone.

42 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

il_794xN.2886935326_mloa.jpg

Tell your kids if they want a new phone they can have this one ^^^

11 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

My dad had one of those installed in our car. Nobody was allowed to touch it let alone use it.

Your dad was Mannix?!

(Don't you dare say he was afternoon shift supervisor at the Niagara Falls Boulevard McDonalds.)

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
That McD's is a tough corporation!

13 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Absolutely criminal they couldn’t field a cup winning roster in the Hasek era. Best goalie in NHL history and I’ll never be convinced otherwise. 

Everybody always talks about the 4 Super Bowl losses but I still say the most underrated What If In Buffalo Sports history is the Sabres not being able to put enough talent around Hasek to win a Cup.  Imagine Hasek in his prime behind the net for a team like the 05-06 Sabres

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I watched this entire game. Goal came at 1:52am the next day. I had to stand for the last 1.5 hours just to stay awake.

Also, Hasek's performance for the Czech team in 1998 was truly remarkable. The save he made on Lindross.....just filthy. 

The guy was like a human rubber band.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.