Biden and the crises er challenge on the border

5 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

On both parts. 🙄

You can’t play this game one sided.  If you feel the democrats in this issue are playing politics by, as SoCal said, by changing their tune it’s because Republicans like Abbott forced their hand. 

What I think is VERY telling here is that you and SoCal think doing something to score political points it somehow dirty. It’s not. It’s what politicians do for Christ’s sake. 😂

You’re missing the point, and it’s really very odd. What most people mean by being political is doing something contrary to your beliefs and positions just to score an electoral or legislative  advantage. Some would call it being hypocritical or insincere. In the case of Texas, I don’t see how any of that fits. Are they taking actions to prove or make a point? Sure! But that’s not what the vast majority of people call being ‘political’. 

him not addressing the boarder is pandering to some of his extreme base.

As long as one trying to sneak in  just has to use the magic words "asylum" things wont change.

same with the fact this countries asylum programs are often way more generous than the median income in the countries many of these folks come from and provides housing, food and monetary support.

Some time ago the narrative when from seasonal migrants to Asylum seekers.

https://www.ccmaine.org/docs/Refugee Immigration Services/159-RefugeesandAccesstoFund.pdf

https://otda.ny.gov/programs/bria/faqs.asp

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

You’re missing the point, and it’s really very odd. What most people mean by being political is doing something contrary to your beliefs and positions just to score an electoral or legislative  advantage. Some would call it being hypocritical or insincere. In the case of Texas, I don’t see how any of that fits. Are they taking actions to prove or make a point? Sure! But that’s not what the vast majority of people call being ‘political’. 

Here’s a definition. 

Score Political Points

To gain political power or sway, especially at the expense of someone else

At the expense of who in this case?  Democrat leaders and migrants. So classic example of “scoring political points!”   

It’s like no one can say anything “bad” about a Republican with some on the right flipping out.  And BTW this isn’t bad. It’s pointing out the hypocrisy of the left.  Who cares if it’s politically motivated. 

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

On both parts. 🙄

You can’t play this game one sided.  If you feel the democrats in this issue are playing politics by, as SoCal said, by changing their tune it’s because Republicans like Abbott forced their hand. 

What I think is VERY telling here is that you and SoCal think doing something to score political points it somehow dirty. It’s not. It’s what politicians do for Christ’s sake. 😂

Why is sending illegals to cities that are sanctuaries for them political?  It's not like they're being send to deep red cities where they'll immediately be deported.  At least in sanctuary cities they're safe.  But since they're sanctuary cities, they should take on the burden of housing illegals, not Texas just because it's a border state.  It's not "political" because they're not being sent where they want.  

Edited by Doc

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Why is sending illegals to cities that are sanctuaries for them political?  It's not like they're being send to deep red cities where they'll immediately be deported.  At least in sanctuary cities they're safe.  But since they're sanctuary cities, they should take on the burden of housing illegals, not Texas just because it's a border state.  It's not "political" because they're not being sent where they want.  

Oh I see. Abbott is sending them to sanctuary cities to they’ll be taken care of?  Is this why you consider it apolitical? 

11 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Chef….now come on man! When someone says that an elected official is being ‘political’ it generally means that they are doing things just to get elected. 

And to address this? Ummm is Abbott running for re-election in 2 months?  🤔

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Here’s a definition. 

Score Political Points

To gain political power or sway, especially at the expense of someone else

At the expense of who in this case?  Democrat leaders and migrants. So classic example of “scoring political points!”   

It’s like no one can say anything “bad” about a Republican with some on the right flipping out.  And BTW this isn’t bad. It’s pointing out the hypocrisy of the left.  Who cares if it’s politically motivated. 

You can say all the bad things you want about Republicans as far as I'm concerned.  It defies logic that the border crisis--with bodies and victims too many to count on both sides of the border--remains basically unchanged for the last 50 years.  That's on every R and D that lacked the courage--or just as likely benefitted politically or financially--to try and solve this problem.    

As for Abbott, I think it can be political maneuvering and strategic planning for Texas all at once.  It's exceptionally easy to sit back and posture on the greater good from NY or DC when not dealing with the underlying problem.  Perhaps by dealing first hand with the crisis on a much, much smaller scale than a border state, some additional understanding might result and serious people sit down to figure it out.

I'm all for engagement and solutions to the crisis, but it seems very few politicians are willing to do that. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

And to address this? Ummm is Abbott running for re-election in 2 months?  🤔

Everyone is always running for something Chef. Once again you can posture that everything an elected official does is political….and I guess to some extent/definition it is….but suggesting that Biden’s immigration policies aren’t real or that they aren’t impacting Texas is nothing short of ridiculous. 

26 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Everyone is always running for something Chef. Once again you can posture that everything an elected official does is political….and I guess to some extent/definition it is….but suggesting that Biden’s immigration policies aren’t real or that they aren’t impacting Texas is nothing short of ridiculous. 

Or that they're not political.  Trying to reduce the strain on border states is trying to fix a problem and sanctuary cities are the best place to put them.  If they have relatives somewhere else, have someone get them a bus ticket and go there.

Now you're getting it.  However I have no idea why you've directed the last sentence to me. 

Here's the thing you may help you understand why it is political what Abbott is doing.  Are the immigration policies of our Federal Government impacting California?  We live here so the answer is "of course!"  Is Newsom sending busloads of migrants to DC/NYC/Chicago?  No.  

Let me clear my position up on this.  Part of me thinks it's hysterical what Abbott is doing.  However using migrants to make his point bothers me. 

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Now you're getting it.  However I have no idea why you've directed the last sentence to me. 

Here's the thing you may help you understand why it is political what Abbott is doing.  Are the immigration policies of our Federal Government impacting California?  We live here so the answer is "of course!"  Is Newsom sending busloads of migrants to DC/NYC/Chicago?  No.  

Let me clear my position up on this.  Part of me thinks it's hysterical what Abbott is doing.  However using migrants to make his point bothers me. 

Here’s where we differ. I think Newsome NOT busing them out is political. I’d label Abbott’s solution as practical, not political. 😉 Only a politician, when faced with a problem, sits there and postures instead of doing something about it. 

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Here’s where we differ. I think Newsome NOT busing them out is political. I’d label Abbott’s solution as practical, not political. 😉 Only a politician, when faced with a problem, sits there and postures instead of doing something about it. 

Abbott sending 5% of migrants apprehended is a solution??  I hope you're being facetious.  I would even go so far as to label what Abbott is doing as a political stunt.  It's all optics and zero solution.  

Come on Deek...it's ok to call out one of our own.  :D

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Abbott sending 5% of migrants apprehended is a solution??  I hope you're being facetious.  I would even go so far as to label what Abbott is doing as a political stunt.  It's all optics and zero solution.  

Come on Deek...it's ok to call out one of our own.  :D

Again, we disagree. And it’s OK to do that as well. Something has to change here. Someone needs to do something. If you want to call it a stunt I’m fine with that. Abbott’s trying to shake things up. Nothing else has worked. This wasn’t his first move, or even his go-to solution but you can only yell for help so many times before you have to shoot up a flare. No?

Again, we disagree. And it’s OK to do that as well. Something has to change here. Someone needs to do something. If you want to call it a stunt I’m fine with that. Abbott’s trying to shake things up. Nothing else has worked. This wasn’t his first move, or even his go-to solution but you can only yell for help so many times before you have to shoot up a flare. No?

Absolutely.  Someone had to shoot up a flair.

By pulling a political stunt. 😁

BTW Google Abbot Political Stunt and you’ll see a lot of people agree with me. Sure it’s mostly left wing outlets but still I’m not the only one calling what it is. 

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Absolutely.  Someone had to shoot up a flair.

By pulling a political stunt. 😁

BTW Google Abbot Political Stunt and you’ll see a lot of people agree with me. Sure it’s mostly left wing outlets but still I’m not the only one calling what it is. 

I’m sure they do. Thanks for the discussion.