Under The Radar Pass Rush

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

CB and DL are the targets most likely. RB sleeper pick but I can't see the Bills using another high pick on a RB to be honest. Maybe later in the draft. 

I feel like the Bills did their best filling holes so that they can truly go bpa in the draft. I think if one of their top 2 running back choices are there at 30 they might go for it.

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

4-3 defenses usually dress 4 on gameday.

Thank; so, let's say they draft a DE in an early round (which I'd almost expect) - do you think they'd keep 5 on the roster, and just inactivate Hughes or Addison on gameday? 

16 minutes ago, Success said:

How many DE's do teams usually carry?

With Epenesa, Hughes, Obada and Addison, would we still be able to add? (or do I have someone out of position there?)

Probably 5. They like Daryl Johnson, good special teams player. That's probably the 5 as of right now. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Success said:

Thank; so, let's say they draft a DE in an early round (which I'd almost expect) - do you think they'd keep 5 on the roster, and just inactivate Hughes or Addison on gameday? 

With McDermott's philosophy of having a high level of rotation on the D line the Bills have typically carried more D line players

on the 53 than typical.  The Bills carried 9 last season for the most part.  I don't expect that to change this year.

It seems to me that after this signing of Obada the odds of a high draft pick going to DE has declined some.  I'm not a huge college

football fan but listening to most on this board that are it is not a great year for DEs.  I feel Beane is hedging his bets on not getting

a good DE in the draft and could well be thinking of going with other positions.

I know it's "hip" to trash the Bills on their DL and I have engaged in it myself BUT the Bills pass D while lower rated than in the past

wasn't bad at all.  Statistically it's still the Run Game Defense that still lags a team of this caliber.  I got hope and I'm starting to think

Beane and McDermott definitely think the personnel can play better this coming season.  Maybe they know more about Star

coming back helping all along the line then we do.

Like I said "I hope".

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

The following two names were not on the poll of "what pass rusher do you want" (I voted for Dunlap).  But I trust Bills to make judgments on two potentially great adds:

1.  Ryan Kerrigan - Bills have to judge how much he has left in the tank, but if he has a fair amount he could be a real difference maker.  Seems like a great fit.

2.  Aldon Smith -- still young (30, may have turned 31), Smith could make a difference for years.  He is a chiseled 285 lbs, one of the best pure pass rushers of the last decade and stout against the run.  If you read about his turnaround, it is quite a story.  Personally, I believe in redemption.  But so, so often, it is not real.  I trust our front office to do the diligence to figure it out with Smith.  If they decide to sign him, I would be wildly supportive.  If they decided "do not touch" I would fully understand.  But I think Aldon is a much better risk than a (*^*&%^$^#like Sammy Watkins - at least Smith was once great.  Played all 16 last year.

I think Kerrigan might be the best available FA defensive end in the NFL for Epenesa to learn from.

Edited by somnus00

4 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

roll with them and take highest ranked RB or CB in the first round.

Yeah, drafting a corner in the first 3 rounds is a must.  I’d like a DT and either a RB or a WR.  

So many variables of CB, DT, RB/WR that would make me happy!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We either need to invest in a DE or a DLman in the 1st 3 rounds if there's anyone we like.

I think we need to invest in another FA on DL as well.

Obada was a vet minimum guy last year.  I doubt this used up the money they freed by renegotiating Tre.

I haven’t seen how much we freed up eith Tre, any numbers yet?

as for signing/drafting another DE, what are your guys thoughts on Bam?  We keep 5 and suit 4 DEs on sundays.  We currently have 5.  Adding another pits Bam on the chopping block.....which I have no problem with.  He flashes on D and is an asset on ST.....but I really don’t care too much about ST, especially for a DE. I want pass rushers.  He seems kind of useless as a pass rusher.....or so I. It know what I’m talking about?  

4 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

To me, lack of pass rush is our biggest weakness.  I would rather roll with Levi and Knox if needed to fortify the pass rush.  Let's go!

Let’s face it. You can’t cover any WRs for 4+ seconds consistently but even garbage CBs can cover the best WRs for 2 seconds if you are getting home with major pressure rushing 4 every down. Having stud pass rush trumps having stud CBS every time. A top flight DE is a priority ! 

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I hate the defensive line rotation.....it prevents them from loading up on a better starting four and thus an average defensive line unit.... but if they are going to stick with the rotation Obada is a solid addition. I’m sure they do think the personnel can play better this season. They put too much faith in the ex Panthers. I get killed on here for that take but that faith has been the one thing that’s held the team back, IMO. 

I’m assuming they’ll add a 1 tech at some point in the draft. So I’d assume two of the three of Johnson, Phillips, and Justin Zimmer will be cut when it’s all said and done. 

The D line rotation is McDermott so it is what it is.

I have to ask you while we are talking about DEs.  Have you looked at the Chiefs roster for DE?

After Clark their best DE is either Taco Carlton (the bust) or Michael Danna (5th round rookie last year with 1 start).

Maybe they go with Tim Ward an UDFA last year with 1 start?

I'm curious how you would feel if the Bills were in this position with $20M in "restructured" cap left?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Clark and Jones are beasts.... I mean Chris Jones made our interior line(namely Feliciano) his B word in the Championship game. He took over....We don’t have down linemen like those two. Hopefully Oliver gets to that point this season.

The Chiefs are in a somewhat different position though. They knocked the ***** out of the biggest AFC contender in the Bills before getting pummeled in the SB due to a completely depleted offensive line and they won the SB the year before..... if the Bills were in the Chiefs position I’d feel pretty comfortable. 

Those 2 sure are good but my point was:  That is all they have.

They better stay healthy.

The Chiefs O line is not in a good spot either.

8 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

The following two names were not on the poll of "what pass rusher do you want" (I voted for Dunlap).  But I trust Bills to make judgments on two potentially great adds:

1.  Ryan Kerrigan - Bills have to judge how much he has left in the tank, but if he has a fair amount he could be a real difference maker.  Seems like a great fit.

2.  Aldon Smith -- still young (30, may have turned 31), Smith could make a difference for years.  He is a chiseled 285 lbs, one of the best pure pass rushers of the last decade and stout against the run.  If you read about his turnaround, it is quite a story.  Personally, I believe in redemption.  But so, so often, it is not real.  I trust our front office to do the diligence to figure it out with Smith.  If they decide to sign him, I would be wildly supportive.  If they decided "do not touch" I would fully understand.  But I think Aldon is a much better risk than a (*^*&%^$^#like Sammy Watkins - at least Smith was once great.  Played all 16 last year.

Did anyone of these guys play for or have gone to Carolina in the last 4 months ? If they did they have a great chance to be a Bill. Lol

• Vomit 1

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

Efe Obada is under the radar. I really think this move will pay off. It’ll really push Bam to get on the fast track too. 

hughes

addison

Epenesa

Obada

Bam

not the best DE room in the league, but I believe Obada is an improvement over Trent. 

Do we invest in a pass rusher in the first 3 rounds or just roll with these 5 and some other low cost free agents?  

We will most definitely draft a DE in the first 3 rounds. Take that stimulus check to the bank.

4 hours ago, Success said:

Maybe it's possible I mean they did keep Murphy and his 9mil salary inactive most of last season. 

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea. They basically have taken the opposite approach to the Bills. They lack depth but make up for it with two game changers. It worked for them already so you can’t really argue with the approach..... on the flip side the Bills have a deep defensive line but no real game changer, and it showed in quite a few games this year where their pass rush was nonexistent.... and more importantly in the biggest game of the year it was nonexistent. 

It has worked for them and I'm going to watch their roster carefully this year to see if the continued dropping of depth and non-star

players will cause issues for them.

I think there is a good chance it will.

• Thank you (+1) 1