Another week, another mass murder

Let me say I’m not a big gun guy. But...most of the ideas tossed around on this issue are just noise to make people ‘feel’ like they did something. (It’s like banning plastic straws to save marine life.) You pretty much have to go all the way or leave it alone. Ban guns entirely (which didn’t work with alcohol during prohibition) or nibble at the edges just to say you did something. Neither of the recent shooters would’ve been stopped by the typical go-to ‘common sense’ regulations. These are crazy people. They don’t have ‘common sense’! 

Edited by SoCal Deek

13 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

So someone uses a product to harm another in a manner that the product is not meant and the company is responsible? You are a lawyers best friend, good hearted but unable to put any intelligent thought into it. 

What is an AR-15 designed to do? 

Answer: Kill people

How is the company not responsible when it's products actually does kill people? 

14 hours ago, BrownNgold said:

Who would be liable if a drunk driver killed somebody? The liquor manufacturer or the car company.

Neither. Those products are not designed to kill people 

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Let me say I’m not a big gun guy. But...most of the ideas tossed around on this issue are just noise to make people ‘feel’ like they did something. (It’s like banning plastic straws to save marine life.) You pretty much have to go all the way or leave it alone. Ban guns entirely (which didn’t work with alcohol during prohibition) or nibble at the edges just to say you did something. Neither of the recent shooters would’ve been stopped by the typical go-to ‘common sense’ regulations. These are crazy people. They don’t have ‘common sense’! 

I respectfully disagree.  I believe he had pled guilty to assault.  A comprehensive background check would have shown that, and if you've been convicted or pled guilty to a violent crime I would suggest you should not have the ability to purchase a firearm.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, oldmanfan said:

I respectfully disagree.  I believe he had pled guilty to assault.  A comprehensive background check would have shown that, and if you've been convicted or pled guilty to a violent crime I would suggest you should not have the ability to purchase a firearm.

Or if you have been involved in a domestic violence incident. 

• Agree 1

Just now, oldmanfan said:

I respectfully agree. Go ahead and do your background check. It won’t stop crazy people from doing crazy things. 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

I respectfully agree. Go ahead and do your background check. It won’t stop crazy people from doing crazy things. 

True, but let's say this idiot goes into the grocery store with a baseball bat or a knife.  I would say the people there have a much better chance of running away, or having a group bring him down, than if he had the kind of weapons he had.  

I am all for background checks and all for more mental health services.  They'll help, (and what the hell was his family doing here??),  But this comes down to simple math.  If you have a knife or a gun that can only shoot say six rounds vs. one that can shoot hundreds, then math tells you the latter can do more damage.  I have yet to see a persuasive argument as to why you should be able to buy these magazines that allow one to shoot so many rounds.

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

True, but let's say this idiot goes into the grocery store with a baseball bat or a knife.  I would say the people there have a much better chance of running away, or having a group bring him down, than if he had the kind of weapons he had.  

I am all for background checks and all for more mental health services.  They'll help, (and what the hell was his family doing here??),  But this comes down to simple math.  If you have a knife or a gun that can only shoot say six rounds vs. one that can shoot hundreds, then math tells you the latter can do more damage.  I have yet to see a persuasive argument as to why you should be able to buy these magazines that allow one to shoot so many rounds.

Once again, we agree. But please know it won’t stop gun violence. We have thousands of gun deaths in America every year. Your suggestions, while good ones, will only reduce (but not eliminate) the ones the media chooses to report on. The other daily death count will march right along. 

Edited by SoCal Deek

These mass shooting events are much more difficult to stop then the average mass shootings that happen on a daily basis.  Mass shooting is generally considered when someone shoots 3 or more people in one instance.  When you see the stat of there being a thousand mass shootings or whatever the number was this year you need to step back and think.  These are typically gang fights where someone shoots up a party or in a fight or something.  Throw away guns are the big problem.  I support the second amendment.  

One big issue is that the national gun registry is literally a file cabinet system somewhere in Virginia...file cabinets for 400 million guns....in this day and age.  So whenever there is a shooting a cop has to call this registry and a person has to go through the file system to find the guy and that can take weeks unless it's a high priority and they can do it fairly quickly.  This needs to change.  Next I think you need to prove someone keeps their weapon once they buy it cause too often these guys are used in a crime and end up in the water.  The gangs typically get a clean record person to buy the gun, it's used and discarded rinse and repeat.  If you buy a gun and say don't have proof you have it 6 months later no more guns for you since you can't be responsible. This should be at least a start.  

21 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Once again, we agree. But please know it won’t stop gun violence. We have thousands of gun deaths in America every year. Your suggestions, while good ones, will only reduce (but not eliminate) the ones the media chooses to report on. The other daily death count will march right along. 

You have to start somewhere.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

You have to start somewhere.

We can start there when we take office. At the heart of most of our problems is the utter refusal for the parties to work across the aisle. Maybe you and I can fix it. (Of course we’ll still have to decide who walks up and who walks down the steps to Air Force One. That’ll take some negotiation.😉)

25 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

We can start there when we take office. At the heart of most of our problems is the utter refusal for the parties to work across the aisle. Maybe you and I can fix it. (Of course we’ll still have to decide who walks up and who walks down the steps to Air Force One. That’ll take some negotiation.😉)

I'll be walking up the stairs, whether it's Air Force 1 or 2!

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

What is an AR-15 designed to do? 

Answer: Kill people

How is the company not responsible when it's products actually does kill people? 

Neither. Those products are not designed to kill people 

An AR15 is mainly used as a hunting rifle, then it is used in self defense. Your ignorance here does not make you morally right. The saddest part of your argument is that you would have to argue that of the 30 million AR guns, only a few are used properly each year, and 99.99999% are misusing their guns. As I sad lawyers love people like you who can't think logically.

24 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

An AR15 is mainly used as a hunting rifle, then it is used in self defense. Your ignorance here does not make you morally right. The saddest part of your argument is that you would have to argue that of the 30 million AR guns, only a few are used properly each year, and 99.99999% are misusing their guns. As I sad lawyers love people like you who can't think logically.

Huh??? Then you call me ignorant? LOL

Let Americans sue companies that make unsafe and deadly products. What's wrong with freedom? 

The gun industry stacked the deck against average Americans. End the special interest favor to this industry! 

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The plastic straw ban is a good one.  Picking an obvious but incorrect solution to a problem.  A better solution to the problem might be to identify how all these plastic straws are finding their way into the ocean and stop it.  I think the problem is the US "exports" a lot of garbage to overseas locations and the junk falls of the ship or gets tossed overboard to cut disposal costs when they reach the destination.  So stop doing this.  Problem solved.

But the gun thing.  All these proposals are just diversions.  It's more a social and behavioral problem than a weapons issue.  This guys was clearly unhinged but nobody wanted to get engaged in confronting him because he'd cry "discrimination" and hearing the mating call of SJW all the useful idiots would run to his assistance.   So maybe all the people so quick to charge and call everything a bias issue should shut up about that for a while and think it through.  Heaven forbid anyone gets offended!     

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

2 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

The plastic straw ban is a good one.  Picking an obvious but incorrect solution to a problem.  A better solution to the problem might be to identify how all these plastic straws are finding their way into the ocean and stop it.  I think the problem is the US "exports" a lot of garbage to overseas locations and the junk falls of the ship or gets tossed overboard to cut disposal costs when they reach the destination.  So stop doing this.  Problem solved.

But the gun thing.  All these proposals are just diversions.  It's more a social and behavioral problem than a weapons issue.  This guys was clearly unhinged but nobody wanted to get engaged in confronting him because he'd cry "discrimination" and hearing the mating call of SJW all the useful idiots would run to his assistance.   So maybe all the people so quick to charge and call everything a bias issue should shut up about that for a while and think it through.  Heaven forbid anyone gets offended!     

Let our citizens have their day in court. If a company makes a product to kill people, and it does, let a court punish them. What's wrong with that? 

18 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Huh??? Then you call me ignorant? LOL

Let Americans sue companies that make unsafe and deadly products. What's wrong with freedom? 

The gun industry stacked the deck against average Americans. End the special interest favor to this industry! 

So what are the majority of AR15 used for then? If not self defense and hunting then what are they used for by the 99.9999%? I personally know several people who have used AR15 style guns to hunt smaller animals, I will admit I do not know anyone who has used one in self defense but I know they will if needed. You insinuated I am ignorant, please tell me how 

18 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

Take solace tibs,

All 10 Boulder Colorado Victims Were White.

All were white? So this should be a hate crime then right? Oh wait, they were white so it can't be a hate crime. And when the shooter being a muslim spoiled the liberal lefts dance party they just turned it into an attack on the right to bear arms. The Constitutional right. 

• Like (+1) 1