Stimulus Checks.

Irv

Or...instead of handing out money to everyone (because this isn’t about anything more than redistribution and playing Santa Claus) they could’ve used the time to create a real program that would help real businesses that are really struggling. For example, why not create a program that pays off real small business loans? Or are we saving that kind of creativity for paying off student loans?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Or...instead of handing out money to everyone (because this isn’t about anything more than redistribution and playing Santa Claus) they could’ve used the time to create a real program that would help real businesses that are really struggling. For example, why not create a program that pays off real small business loans? Or are we saving that kind of creativity for paying off student loans?

1) Everyone? I haven’t received relief checks and I’m ok with that.

2) Biden’s been in office for how many days?  What did Trump do for small businesses while the virus arrived in his final year?  Where were the proactive measures to safe guard these small businesses?

image.thumb.jpeg.64f0416c864b31d018069f8f71468a7c.jpeg

Edited by BillStime
  • Eyeroll 1

51 minutes ago, BillStime said:

1) Everyone? I haven’t received relief checks and I’m ok with that.

2) Biden’s been in office for how many days?  What did Trump do for small businesses while the virus arrived in his final year?  Where were the proactive measures to safe guard these small businesses?

image.thumb.jpeg.64f0416c864b31d018069f8f71468a7c.jpeg

PPP???  
Tax incentives???

The Platinum Plan???

Take your partisan blinders off. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

PPP???  
Tax incentives???

The Platinum Plan???

Take your partisan blinders off. 

PPP loan data reveals most of the $525B went to larger businesses... Trump and his friends thank you for your tax dollars.

So does Tom Brady.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillStime said:

PPP loan data reveals most of the $525B went to larger businesses... Trump and his friends thank you for your tax dollars.

So does Tom Brady.

PPP saved my next door neighbor's landscaping business, and helped a lot of my other friends as well. Listen, I know you have a hard time seeing anything Trump's administration did as helpful,  but the work done for businesses during the pandemic shouldn't be one of those times.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BillStime said:

So does Tom Brady.

Large business didn’t need help with payroll during the pandemic?  Would you rather they laid people off?   I’m not surprised you don’t know how businesses operate.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Chef Jim said:

Large business didn’t need help with payroll during the pandemic?  Would you rather they laid people off?   I’m not surprised you don’t know how businesses operate.  

Thank you for making my point - what did Trump do for small businesses?

5 hours ago, SoTier said:

Whine, whine, whine ....   how dare the US government give some aid to Americans who aren't millionaires or to businesses that produce millions in profits!

You’re welcome for the check I paid for you to have,

signed,

not a millionaire 

p.s. please spend it on a local business who is going to get screwed by upcoming tax hikes

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

big government advocates don’t know or care how any business works. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

1 hour ago, Tenhigh said:

PPP saved my next door neighbor's landscaping business, and helped a lot of my other friends as well. Listen, I know you have a hard time seeing anything Trump's administration did as helpful,  but the work done for businesses during the pandemic shouldn't be one of those times.

Same. Helped several local small businesses here stay afloat through lock down which I’m thankful for. Most happened to be minority owned as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Whine?  Did you even read my post or because I’m conservative you just jumped to a conclusion that you didn’t like my post without reading it?  So point out the issues you have with what I said. 

Question.  Someone who has $$ to fund an IRA (as much as $14k for a married couple over 50)?  Do they need a stimulus check from the government?  

I did read your post as well as the others you posted in this thread, and I'll stand by what I said.   You and several other self-identified "conservatives" in this thread are all in high dudgeon because people you think are "undeserving" of government assistance are getting some.  You (the complainers generally) complained about people getting payments for their children.   Somebody claimed some druggie allegedly used her stimulus check to buy drugs.  You ranted about some politicians claiming the stimulus checks will help people who are struggling economically and criticized somebody using the stimulus check to fund his/her future retirement through an IRA.   Well, you don't know what everybody else's situation is, so don't condemn people just to make yourself feel superior.   Not everybody in this country is as lucky as you -- or me -- to be making big bucks and to not have been seriously impacted by the pandemic.   I'm not making "big bucks" for somebody in the workforce, but for a retiree, I'm pretty flush -- and I'm less than three weeks away from being fully vaccinated.   I used my first and second stimulus to pay some bills and donated the rest to various local charities.   The third one is already spent on a cottage rental on Seneca Lake in August.

As the stimulus being "bribery", my last payment just showed up in my bank account.   The first stimulus payment was preceded by a letter letting me know I was getting a stimulus payment compliments of the POTUS.

• The median household income -- ie, half above, half below -- in the US in 2019 was about $68k.  "Household" means the income from all household members -- paychecks, social security, disability payments, unemployment, pensions -- from mom and dad to grandma and grandpa to adult children living at home, etc.   You remember 2019, don't you?   Pre-covid days. 
  • The job losses in the pandemic have disproportionately affected people who make the lowest wages, usually service workers.   Unlike white collar workers, service workers generally don't have the option to work from home.
  • While the PPP program seems to have worked well for larger businesses, smaller businesses with only a handful of workers were left out.
  • Three million women have left the workforce since the start of the pandemic, primarily to take care of their children.   Most are not counted in the unemployment rate because they are not actively looking for work.   Consider how that impacts their economic situations and that of their families.
  • The income thresholds for the 2020 and 2021 stimulus payments are based on 2019 income tax data.   Many individuals, couples, and business owners who were doing well in 2019 have seen their income plummet for any number of reasons outside of their control.
  • The covid-19 virus has impacted many individuals and families by leaving some people with long-term medical problems that leave them unable to return to work.  Others who were hospitalized for long periods face five or six-figure medical bills not covered by their health insurance.
  • Some sectors of the economy have been effected more than others.  Travel, tourism, and entertain have been decimated, from business owners and pilots who were clearing big bucks to wait and housekeeping staff who working for much more modest money.   The protections against evictions has also diminished the income of real estate investors, but especially the smaller investors who may not qualify for PPP because they don't enough employees.
  • Areas of the country with a high dependence on tourism have suffered far more than most other areas, and once again, that pain starts at the top and flows down to the bottom through all income levels. 

Your complaints and those of several others in this thread just reek of partisan bull manure.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I did read your post as well as the others you posted in this thread, and I'll stand by what I said.   You and several other self-identified "conservatives" in this thread are all in high dudgeon because people you think are "undeserving" of government assistance are getting some.  You (the complainers generally) complained about people getting payments for their children.   Somebody claimed some druggie allegedly used her stimulus check to buy drugs.  You ranted about some politicians claiming the stimulus checks will help people who are struggling economically and criticized somebody using the stimulus check to fund his/her future retirement through an IRA.   Well, you don't know what everybody else's situation is, so don't condemn people just to make yourself feel superior.   Not everybody in this country is as lucky as you -- or me -- to be making big bucks and to not have been seriously impacted by the pandemic.   I'm not making "big bucks" for somebody in the workforce, but for a retiree, I'm pretty flush -- and I'm less than three weeks away from being fully vaccinated.   I used my first and second stimulus to pay some bills and donated the rest to various local charities.   The third one is already spent on a cottage rental on Seneca Lake in August.

As the stimulus being "bribery", my last payment just showed up in my bank account.   The first stimulus payment was preceded by a letter letting me know I was getting a stimulus payment compliments of the POTUS.

• The median household income -- ie, half above, half below -- in the US in 2019 was about $68k.  "Household" means the income from all household members -- paychecks, social security, disability payments, unemployment, pensions -- from mom and dad to grandma and grandpa to adult children living at home, etc.   You remember 2019, don't you?   Pre-covid days. 
  • The job losses in the pandemic have disproportionately affected people who make the lowest wages, usually service workers.   Unlike white collar workers, service workers generally don't have the option to work from home.
  • While the PPP program seems to have worked well for larger businesses, smaller businesses with only a handful of workers were left out.
  • Three million women have left the workforce since the start of the pandemic, primarily to take care of their children.   Most are not counted in the unemployment rate because they are not actively looking for work.   Consider how that impacts their economic situations and that of their families.
  • The income thresholds for the 2020 and 2021 stimulus payments are based on 2019 income tax data.   Many individuals, couples, and business owners who were doing well in 2019 have seen their income plummet for any number of reasons outside of their control.
  • The covid-19 virus has impacted many individuals and families by leaving some people with long-term medical problems that leave them unable to return to work.  Others who were hospitalized for long periods face five or six-figure medical bills not covered by their health insurance.
  • Some sectors of the economy have been effected more than others.  Travel, tourism, and entertain have been decimated, from business owners and pilots who were clearing big bucks to wait and housekeeping staff who working for much more modest money.   The protections against evictions has also diminished the income of real estate investors, but especially the smaller investors who may not qualify for PPP because they don't enough employees.
  • Areas of the country with a high dependence on tourism have suffered far more than most other areas, and once again, that pain starts at the top and flows down to the bottom through all income levels. 

Your complaints and those of several others in this thread just reek of partisan bull manure.  

Let me ask you a question.  A couple in, let's say rural Alabama making over $200k in gross income.  Do they need a stimulus check?  For me that a resounding NO! There are parts of the country where people are making $100k gross and are doing VERY well let alone $200k  How is that possible?   I thought it phases out at $160k you may ask.  Let's do a little math shall we.

Couple (over 50) makes $210k.  They each fully fund their 401k's at $26,000 each for a total of $52,000.  Take their gross of $210k and deduct their 401k contributions their AGI is $158k and poof they get a check.  This has been my main complaint from the beginning.  People are getting money that don't need it.  I'm not condemning these people.  I'm condemning the GOVERNMENT for being wasteful.  THAT is one of the main tenants of THIS conservative.  

Now to your point about PPP.  What is this about companies that don't have enough employees? Self employed people qualify for a PPP loan.  It's for ALL small businesses with fewer that 500 employees.  So I have no idea where you're getting that from. 

It's not partisan bull manure.  It's called fiscal responsibility.  Two words government (regardless left/right/center) don't understand. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, BillStime said:

Thank you for making my point - what did Trump do for small businesses?

I own a small business you piece of utter crap! The leadership of the Trump Administration at the start of the pandemic helped keep it afloat more than the basement bunker mentality of the current clueless buffoon. 

32 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I own a small business you piece of utter crap! The leadership of the Trump Administration at the start of the pandemic helped keep it afloat more than the basement bunker mentality of the current clueless buffoon. 

Yawn

5 hours ago, SoTier said:

seeing as those who went in the street to vocalize that they did not want to be on your list of economic victims were demonized on a partisan basis.

seeing as all major relief packages, including one presented by a bi partisan commission were blocked for most of last year on partisan basis.

seeing how buisneses that were looted and destroyed were ignored on a partisan basis.

seeing as "threats" such as school openings, small buisnesses, ect ect were forced closed, even after science and facts stated otherwise, on a partisan basis.

seeing as the bill we eventually got was rammed through on a partisan basis.

seeing as the states like florida that have fought against creating all the economic victims you state were adamantly condemned on a partisan basis. while places like NY were touted as utopias of leadership created BOTH economic destruction while also MURDERING senior citizens and having similar covid numbers.

its a little hard to stand up on a soap box and say there should be no partisan bull manure coming from self identified "conservatives".

those same people that are posting partisan bull manure were probably the ones arguing tooth and nail to save these people from the foreseeable economic destruction while being called murders and such.

i think you can forgive them for having strong opinions about how their money is getting spent when the economic devastation wasn't even mitigated by partisans that allowed and continue to allow this to happen while their side got very little consideration when fighting against them.

Edited by Buffarukus

3 hours ago, Buffarukus said:

seeing as those who went in the street to vocalize that they did not want to be on your list of economic victims were demonized on a partisan basis.

seeing as all major relief packages, including one presented by a bi partisan commission were blocked for most of last year on partisan basis.

seeing how buisneses that were looted and destroyed were ignored on a partisan basis.

seeing as "threats" such as school openings, small buisnesses, ect ect were forced closed, even after science and facts stated otherwise, on a partisan basis.

seeing as the bill we eventually got was rammed through on a partisan basis.

seeing as the states like florida that have fought against creating all the economic victims you state were adamantly condemned on a partisan basis. while places like NY were touted as utopias of leadership created BOTH economic destruction while also MURDERING senior citizens and having similar covid numbers.

its a little hard to stand up on a soap box and say there should be no partisan bull manure coming from self identified "conservatives".

those same people that are posting partisan bull manure were probably the ones arguing tooth and nail to save these people from the foreseeable economic destruction while being called murders and such.

i think you can forgive them for having strong opinions about how their money is getting spent when the economic devastation wasn't even mitigated by partisans that allowed and continue to allow this to happen while their side got very little consideration when fighting against them.

Wait, didn't Biden inherit America at its finest? I mean, it was just another Republican president handing off an absolute shittshow to a Dem... and you biches are all of a sudden upset cuz Biden has been in charge for two months and has made your life worse?  Seriously you dramatic pigs, stfu.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

Wait, didn't Biden inherit America at its finest? I mean, it was just another Republican president handing off an absolute shittshow to a Dem... and you biches are all of a sudden upset cuz Biden has been in charge for two months and has made your life worse?  Seriously you dramatic pigs, stfu.

Enough of the internet tough guy stuff already.   

4 hours ago, BillStime said:

Wait, didn't Biden inherit America at its finest? I mean, it was just another Republican president handing off an absolute s***show to a Dem... and you biches are all of a sudden upset cuz Biden has been in charge for two months and has made your life worse?  Seriously you dramatic pigs, stfu.

😅 hit a nerve? that reply is dramatic as it gets. id be angry too if my life was dedicated to plastering a message board defending this guy. 

its ok little buddy. i recognize his accomplishments. my life is ok. thank you for the concern but in just 2 months the guy has done alot for others, lets give credit.

already launched bombs on a foriegn country.

already fired thousands of workers with a stroke of his pen. just taking a extra squat on the... show he was handed i guess. 

already crushing poor people with soaring gas prices he created with that same pen stroke and putting the threat of inflation on the table for them to contemplate with the endless spending.

already throwing migrant children in cages at a astounding rate and preventing ICE from giving the media information on the exact numbers or conditions. have you ever seen a coverup so fast! accomplishment!

already not condemning the nonexistent violent white people on the west coast. they no longer have to worry about our president intervening. they can finally riot in peace.

https://www.westernjournal.com/new-wave-riots-causes-portland-courthouse-turned-fortress/ 

i know this all sounds bad. don't worry, eventually he will take questions on this stuff. we have to be patient. every president starts out by completely ignoring the press. like you said, its only been 2 months. I'm pretty sure once he realizes where he is and why his pudding was left in a sock drawer... all this will be explained to his office lamp. 😳

Edited by Buffarukus
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Finally seeing where the money that didn’t result in direct stimulus checks is going. 

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/the-state-worker/article250003744.html

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/california-schools-use-covid-relief-payments-for-teacher-bonuses/ar-BB1eAkcP

Also $128 billion to teachers union. 

35 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Finally seeing where the money that didn’t result in direct stimulus checks is going. 

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/the-state-worker/article250003744.html

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/california-schools-use-covid-relief-payments-for-teacher-bonuses/ar-BB1eAkcP

Also $128 billion to teachers union. 

Just like the stimulus from the Obama playbook.  Hand out money to government workers.   Did Teachers not get paid during the last year? Yes, they did. Did they run into a burning building? Did they dispense groceries at the local store?  Nope...they stayed home for a year!  They sacrificed nothing, and risked nothing. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

Why do you act like this?

New here?   It’s because he’s an immature man child.  And his response to this will be a laughing emoji. He doesn’t engage in any kind of intellectual debate.  Because he doesn’t have the brain power for that.  His MO is to post the same Trump memes over and over.  We’ve tried to tell him Trump is gone but he’s obsessed.   

Wow that took less time than I expected.  So predictable and sad. 

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffarukus said:

😅 hit a nerve? that reply is dramatic as it gets. id be angry too if my life was dedicated to plastering a message board defending this guy. 

its ok little buddy. i recognize his accomplishments. my life is ok. thank you for the concern but in just 2 months the guy has done alot for others, lets give credit.

already launched bombs on a foriegn country.

already fired thousands of workers with a stroke of his pen. just taking a extra squat on the... show he was handed i guess. 

already crushing poor people with soaring gas prices he created with that same pen stroke and putting the threat of inflation on the table for them to contemplate with the endless spending.

already throwing migrant children in cages at a astounding rate and preventing ICE from giving the media information on the exact numbers or conditions. have you ever seen a coverup so fast! accomplishment!

already not condemning the nonexistent violent white people on the west coast. they no longer have to worry about our president intervening. they can finally riot in peace.

https://www.westernjournal.com/new-wave-riots-causes-portland-courthouse-turned-fortress/ 

i know this all sounds bad. don't worry, eventually he will take questions on this stuff. we have to be patient. every president starts out by completely ignoring the press. like you said, its only been 2 months. I'm pretty sure once he realizes where he is and why his pudding was left in a sock drawer... all this will be explained to his office lamp. 😳

Now do Trumps first 60 days.... and don’t forget to include how many times he golfed and frequented his resorts.

And please provide sources for all your claims above - thanks little buddy 😘

Just like the stimulus from the Obama playbook.  Hand out money to government workers.   Did Teachers not get paid during the last year? Yes, they did. Did they run into a burning building? Did they dispense groceries at the local store?  Nope...they stayed home for a year!  They sacrificed nothing, and risked nothing. 

And I’m not sure about your kids but for mine they did a lousy job. And we are not in a cheap school district. 

Sounds just like all those PPP “loans” to Trump’s friends...

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BillStime said:

Sounds just like all those PPP “loans” to Trump’s friends...

You really are 100% clueless about how anything works. I'm sure it'll be covered in the Eighth Grade but until then, let's try again: Why should stimulus checks go to anyone that didn't actually suffer a loss of income during the pandemic?  (PS: The PPP Loans were in fact, loans, and do, in fact, have to be repaid.)

On 3/12/2021 at 12:56 AM, Doc Brown said:

Just consider it a tax cut.  I wish it wasn't means tested.  I liked that one politician's suggestion that you have to get the vaccine shot in order to collect the stimulus check since everyone should be able to get one by May now.

Oh man that would have been a FANTASTIC idea!!!

I'm getting irritated by people I know personally who are complaining about everything still being closed while simultaneously refusing to get a vaccine.

Buncha idiots... and these are people I love.

On 3/19/2021 at 1:09 PM, Chef Jim said:

Most know here what I do for a living.  I sent an email to my top clients regarding the Bill.  I went of the parts that would be of most interest to them.  Regarding the $1400 I told them that I'm not going to tell them what to do with the check if they get one (and most won't).  But the bribe, I mean payola errrrr check was to help "struggling" families or to stimulate the economy. So if they are not struggling (and none of them are) to use their check for local businesses.  Please don't use it in your IRA or HSA.  Spend it!  

Your perspective is interesting because it seems to represent the entire Republican perspective.

"I'm not struggling financially.  The people I know aren't struggling financially.  These checks are stupid!"

All the while... neither you nor most of the people you know are making more than $80k and therefore aren't getting checks, anyway...

And the focus seems to be on how these checks must be for things for like mortgage and bills... which are monthly and so they are dumb because it's just kicking a can down the road.  Fact is I'm not one of those that's struggling to pay a mortgage, but as soon as I got that $1400 I put it towards debt, which is probably what most Americans who aren't in that former category are doing.

I hope the Biden Adminstration tackles the student loan debt crisis next... that's what my $1400 went towards, anyway.

11 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Your perspective is interesting because it seems to represent the entire Republican perspective.

"I'm not struggling financially.  The people I know aren't struggling financially.  These checks are stupid!"

All the while... neither you nor most of the people you know are making more than $80k and therefore aren't getting checks, anyway...

And the focus seems to be on how these checks must be for things for like mortgage and bills... which are monthly and so they are dumb because it's just kicking a can down the road.  Fact is I'm not one of those that's struggling to pay a mortgage, but as soon as I got that $1400 I put it towards debt, which is probably what most Americans who aren't in that former category are doing.

I hope the Biden Adminstration tackles the student loan debt crisis next... that's what my $1400 went towards, anyway.

Good golly. 

You would support withholding of federal stimulus funds for your fellow citizens unless they acquiesce to compulsory vaccination, take a $1400 designed to “stimulate” the economy and use it for self-serving purposes, and are a supporter of the student loan debt soup kitchen as well?  

Was your income affected at all by the lockdown?  I have friends here in NY who work in govt— the lockdown was really an unexpected windfall for them.  Salary continued unabated, but with the shutdown, the money they saved not having to commute was substantial. 

As for the student loan program, how do you feel it should be addressed?  How much debt of those victimized by higher education should be “tackled”  and who should be saddled with the debt? 

41 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

What in the world.........Where do I begin.....

Please point out where I have said ANYWHERE these checks are stupid.  Either a) improve your reading comprehension or b) take your partisan blinders off.  I've said this checks are to help those that are struggling so why are many people that are not struggling getting them?  

I hope the neither I highlighted above is a typo because the words that follow it don't make any sense.  C- for grammar.  ;) 

I love how you say we how these checks are used to for things like mortgage and you used yours you put it towards student loan debt.  I have news for your student loan and your mortgage are pretty much the same thing.  

Biden and ALL politician need to leave their hands OFF student loan debt.  You took the loan YOU pay it back.  Not me and the rest of America.

And lastly.  Good job stimulating the economy with your check.  

• Eyeroll 1

23 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

You really are 100% clueless about how anything works. I'm sure it'll be covered in the Eighth Grade but until then, let's try again: Why should stimulus checks go to anyone that didn't actually suffer a loss of income during the pandemic?  (PS: The PPP Loans were in fact, loans, and do, in fact, have to be repaid.)

PPP loans are not true loans. Round 1 went to anyone who felt they could be economically impacted by COVID at the time of applying. That rollout was so bad SBA set a threshold of $2,000,000 with if your loan was under that, you had economic uncertainty.

The PPP is 100 percent forgiven and not taxed Federally (and you get a deduction for amounts paid with the forgiven loan proceeds which you don’t normally get with tax-exempt income).

To get the loan forgiven you basically need 60 percent going to payroll and 40 percent to any other business cost in an 8-24 week covered period. The amounts you could use the loans for originally were much more restrictive but when it looked like people wouldn’t get an easy 100 percent forgiveness, the government bent over backwards to extend the covered period and the applicable expenses.

So while it’s a loan in name, if you ever have to pay a penny of it back, you were an extreme idiot.

42 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Maybe the teachers aren't the problem in your equation

Impression of overpaid lazy teacher rhetoric? 

It’s a daycare job supplied with state/county mandated talking points requireing no depth of knowledge or understanding while being accountable to no performance standards whatsoever. (Public school system allowed this)

those who can do, those who can’t teach