Border Collie

Mike in Horseheads

There was a border collie at the cul-de-sac at the end of our street that insisted upon loudly herding our children as they learned to ride bicycles. Many crashes resulted from that very devoted herding dog. 

Sorry, all I got.  🤷‍♂️

I currently have a border mix, we had no experience with the breed before.

Absolutely needs daily exercise and mental stimulation. Super intelligent, lots of energy and will get bored and fixated on mischief quite easily if he doesn’t have exercise & tasks.

Very athletic and agile dog, trained for half marathons w my wife, and can hike and hike the gorge trails for miles without tiring.

He did not do well as an only dog. Lots of separation anxiety, and could not be crated. He busted out of the crate and wrecked shop several times. Even after it was reinforced w zip ties. Vet said no crate, he will outsmart it and/or hurt himself trying.

Tried giving him a side room while we were at work, literally chewed through the door.

Got him a brother and he’s been an angel ever since, his “job” is watching the other dog during the day.

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Border Collies are for very experienced and very dedicated dog owners who have a ton of time and energy to spend on making sure their needs are met.

They are the Advanced Course of Dogs.

Amen.

Fortunately, not knowing what we had gotten into we adapted to him quickly, we have a large fenced yard and are very active as far as exercise, running and hiking. He’s a maniac on the trails, loves it. We get tired before he does.

We did a few months of basic agility lessons too, for his mental stimulation. He picked it up super quick, we built a couple jumps for the yard out of pvc, and he also jumps through a hoop. Not too big on fetch or tug, but we can get him riled and do some good zoomies around the yard.

He was a southern dog, plucked from a kill shelter in NC by a WNY  rescue. Poor feller had 24 hours “or else”...he was in the right place at the right time for a rescue.  I guess he was a surrender, and they get put down immediately, whereas strays get a few days in case someone is looking for them. Awful, either way.

He was fostered up here w german sheps before we adopted him,  and he absolutely loves other dogs & people. Very sweet boy. We think he was “food baited”, he won’t eat his dish until you walk away, if you hover he gets nervous and won’t eat.

Pretty sure he’s got some foxhound and maybe some beagle in him, but certainly mostly border.

19 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Here’s my homeys, Hank(border mix) & Elwood(shepherd mix)

391F3E91-0D12-489B-8679-B067C908C478.jpeg

Thanks for all the info, sounds like a bit more than I can deal with and not up for 2. Man been at least 15 years since I had a dog when "Buster' died and swore never again. But I so miss a dog around the house.  Thanks again

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Thanks for all the info, sounds like a bit more than I can deal with and not up for 2. Man been at least 15 years since I had a dog when "Buster' died and swore never again. But I so miss a dog around the house.  Thanks again

For sure, never easy to lose our furry pals. My first girl Polly’s been gone 9 years and I will always miss her.

We were so heartbroken we said it would be a while....and three weeks later Hank came home...

And then he ate our couch, and we quickly learned about border collies the hard way. Just be glad you asked first lol!

• Haha (+1) 3

I say go for it @Mike in Horseheads

Who knows... You may finally have a lock & dam operator in the family! 😆🤣

Need a little extra family income?

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/dog-hired-to-keep-chicago-harbor-clean

Special ShoutOut to:

@Beerball

@BringBackFergy

@Gugny

@Seasons1992

Suck it fellas... Some of the greatest lock ops on earth are border collies!   

That's ALL I got! 😆🤣😂

AND She's SEASONAL.  She'd be back in HHDS for the winter with all that dough!  Think of the earning potential Mike!!! 😉...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Have any of you fine people ever had a Border Collie? Someone I used to work with dog had 8 puppies recently and she has 2 not spoken for. I have had a Dachshund mix and Dachshund in the past and they were very loyal so this would be a step up in size for sure.

153349682_10100896442020524_177814616517

Someone else said border collies are "high energy" dogs.  Imagine having @ExiledInIllinois recite the ACOE regulations in your kitchen after chugging a sixer of RockStar energy drinks....you have been warned.

• Haha (+1) 3

23 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Someone else said border collies are "high energy" dogs.  Imagine having @ExiledInIllinois recite the ACOE regulations in your kitchen after chugging a sixer of RockStar energy drinks....you have been warned.

Hell, I've been around @ExiledInIllinois after simply getting out of the truck after a long drive into Nashville, and it was ALREADY go-time.....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/25/2021 at 10:01 PM, 4_kidd_4 said:

Amen.

Fortunately, not knowing what we had gotten into we adapted to him quickly, we have a large fenced yard and are very active as far as exercise, running and hiking. He’s a maniac on the trails, loves it. We get tired before he does.

We did a few months of basic agility lessons too, for his mental stimulation. He picked it up super quick, we built a couple jumps for the yard out of pvc, and he also jumps through a hoop. Not too big on fetch or tug, but we can get him riled and do some good zoomies around the yard.

[B]He was a southern dog, plucked from a kill shelter in NC by a WNY  rescue. Poor feller had 24 hours “or else”...he was in the right place at the right time for a rescue.  I guess he was a surrender, and they get put down immediately, whereas strays get a few days in case someone is looking for them. Awful, either way.[/B]

He was fostered up here w german sheps before we adopted him,  and he absolutely loves other dogs & people. Very sweet boy. We think he was “food baited”, he won’t eat his dish until you walk away, if you hover he gets nervous and won’t eat.

Pretty sure he’s got some foxhound and maybe some beagle in him, but certainly mostly border.

Same here! Got my dog (huskie mix) from the WNY SPCA. They said the dog was from a kill shelter in NC. I think he may have been a stray, or abused (from how skittish he was at first) but I’m not sure. Said some guy flys down there once a week with his own plane and brings dogs back from the kill shelters down south. I thought that was so amazing.

It makes me sick that they really would have put down this dog down. He’s the smartest, most obedient dog I’ve ever owned (and I’ve had dogs (usually multiple) my entire life). So loyal and super gentle. But when I first got him he was a bit wild/unruly and If you yelled at him it would escalate things. But as soon as I found a training method he understood, his turn around was immediate and drastic. And like I said now he is just an amazing dog. So well behaved. For example, I can leave a plate of food sitting right in front of him and leave the room for 10+ minutes without even a worry. 

On 2/25/2021 at 10:01 PM, Mike in Horseheads said:

Go to the SPCA some time. They’re great there. If you have a cat you can set up a meeting between the cat and any dog you’re interested in before bringing him home. And if a dog doesn’t work out I believe you can even bring him/her back (but I’ve never tried). It’ll make you feel great rescuing too. I’ve had really good luck with mutts from the shelters. Less health issues. Often better behaved. They do have purebred dogs as well, and even puppies at times but they go super fast. 

Not too long ago I had 3 dogs and had to to put down all 3 within a span of like 2 years. I said when we had the 3rd put down that I’d wait to get another dog. I think I made it 2 weeks. But it was the best decision to get another. Dogs are the best.

Edited by BillsFan4

6 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Go to the SPCA some time. They’re great there. If you have a cat you can set up a meeting between the cat and any dog you’re interested in before bringing him home. And if a dog doesn’t work out I believe you can even bring him/her back (but I’ve never tried). It’ll make you feel great rescuing too. I’ve had really good luck with mutts from the shelters. Less health issues. Often better behaved. They do have purebred dogs as well, and even puppies at times but they go super fast. 

yup... both of my dogs were pound dogs, I've looked but mostly all they have is pit bulls and large dogs. I'd prefer smaller.

1 hour ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

yup... both of my dogs were pound dogs, I've looked but mostly all they have is pit bulls and large dogs. I'd prefer smaller.

Yes, lots of pit bulls. That’s one breed of dog I don’t think I’d own again. I owned one once and it’s the only dog I ever had that bit people, and it wasn’t just little nips. 

14 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yes, lots of pit bulls. That’s one breed of dog I don’t think I’d own again. I owned one once and it’s the only dog I ever had that bit people, and it wasn’t just little nips. 

It’s not the breed. It’s the upbringing in the house and owner who raised them. Ask @Gugny...he loves them. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 2/25/2021 at 9:30 PM, 4_kidd_4 said:

I currently have a border mix, we had no experience with the breed before.

Absolutely needs daily exercise and mental stimulation. Super intelligent, lots of energy and will get bored and fixated on mischief quite easily if he doesn’t have exercise & tasks.

Very athletic and agile dog, trained for half marathons w my wife, and can hike and hike the gorge trails for miles without tiring.

He did not do well as an only dog. Lots of separation anxiety, and could not be crated. He busted out of the crate and wrecked shop several times. Even after it was reinforced w zip ties. Vet said no crate, he will outsmart it and/or hurt himself trying.

Tried giving him a side room while we were at work, literally chewed through the door.

Got him a brother and he’s been an angel ever since, his “job” is watching the other dog during the day.

Also had a Border Collie mix.  This is all spot on.  Wish we’d have gotten him a dog, as we used to say.  He needed it.  He was a great dog though.  I miss him. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.