Bills Today | One step the Bills can take to represent as contenders for the AFC in Super Bowl LVI

or more directly 

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-today-one-step-the-bills-can-take-to-represent-the-afc-in-super-bowl-lvi

:huh: I must be feverish  🤒 

3. ESPN label Bills a clear-cut Super Bowl LVI contender

The Bills came one game shy of the Super Bowl LV, but the team proved this season that they belong in the conversation when it comes to teams ready to compete for the Super Bowl. ESPN's NFL Nation released their Super Bowl timelines for all 32 teams. All teams were tiered into four categories and voted on by six ESPN analysts. The Bills were in the top tier and are viewed as contenders right now for the Super Bowl. 

NFL editor Gregg Rosenthal explained how each AFC team can take the Chiefs' place in next year's Super Bowl. Here is what he said about the Buffalo Bills: 

The Bills must: find the next defensive cornerstones.

The four-year ascent accomplished by coach Sean McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane could be taught at Team Building University.

My "one thing" the Bills needed to do last year to make the Super Bowl was make life easier for QB Josh Allen, and they succeeded beyond anyone's dreams, nearly making the big game.

Now it's time to clean up the defensively oriented McDermott's side of the ball. There isn't a pass rusher to be excited about.

The secondary is missing at least one cornerback, and linebacker Matt Milano is about to be a free agent.

With an explosive offense in great shape long-term, the best way to make Allen's life easier now is to find more defensive difference-makers to slow down the Chiefs, especially up front.

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Like (+1) 6

47 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

or more directly 

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-today-one-step-the-bills-can-take-to-represent-the-afc-in-super-bowl-lvi

:huh: I must be feverish  🤒 

3. ESPN label Bills a clear-cut Super Bowl LVI contender

The Bills came one game shy of the Super Bowl LV, but the team proved this season that they belong in the conversation when it comes to teams ready to compete for the Super Bowl. ESPN's NFL Nation released their Super Bowl timelines for all 32 teams. All teams were tiered into four categories and voted on by six ESPN analysts. The Bills were in the top tier and are viewed as contenders right now for the Super Bowl. 

NFL editor Gregg Rosenthal explained how each AFC team can take the Chiefs' place in next year's Super Bowl. Here is what he said about the Buffalo Bills: 

The Bills must: find the next defensive cornerstones.

The four-year ascent accomplished by coach Sean McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane could be taught at Team Building University.

My "one thing" the Bills needed to do last year to make the Super Bowl was make life easier for QB Josh Allen, and they succeeded beyond anyone's dreams, nearly making the big game.

Now it's time to clean up the defensively oriented McDermott's side of the ball. There isn't a pass rusher to be excited about.

The secondary is missing at least one cornerback, and linebacker Matt Milano is about to be a free agent.

With an explosive offense in great shape long-term, the best way to make Allen's life easier now is to find more defensive difference-makers to slow down the Chiefs, especially up front.

Nice to finally see that for a change. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, chongli said:

Thanks for posting this. The Bills need one more playmaker on both sides of the ball. And interior OL help. But you can list one thing, lol.

NP.  They are close.   A few tweaks and they can nail this down. 

10 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Nice to finally see that for a change. 

Yeah, but .... having them predict the Bills at 6.5 wins for a season is always fun.   

I guess they started to dislike the taste of crow. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, chongli said:

Thanks for posting this. The Bills need one more playmaker on both sides of the ball. And interior OL help. But you can list one thing, lol.

Its just one sort of short/long list ;)

DE

TE

CB2

OLB

Big Mauler OG

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

NP.  They are close.   A few tweaks and they can nail this down. 

Yeah, but .... having them predict the Bills at 6.5 wins for a season is always fun.   

I guess they started to dislike the taste of crow. 

Lol, yup. I think those predictions will rise to at least 9-12 wins for next season.,

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TPS said:

If only  great pass rushers grew on trees...

it will be a lot easier to address all of the other issues.  The big question: How will Beane get a pass rusher? 

Draft

Trade

FA

???

I don't see a Diggs like trade because of the Bills cap situation. Odds are if you are trading a 1st or 2nd round pick for a player they are either on a big contract or they are demanding one. At pick 30 in the draft finding a big time impact pass rusher isn't easy. Free agency will be hard too because of the cap situation. 

I think the best hope is to try and find a trade for a player with 2 years left on his rookie deal and punt an extension to 2022. But that isn't and won't be easy to find. It is going to be a tricky off-season to retain all or most of the team's talent and add those last 1-2 pieces needed.

11 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

DT as well

Star comes back which I think helps the DT situation, I also like Phillips to have a big year getting another year removed from injury and in a contract year. Combining that with Ed and possibly Butler or Jefferson (I think they cut one) and I think you are solid at DT. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't see a Diggs like trade because of the Bills cap situation. Odds are if you are trading a 1st or 2nd round pick for a player they are either on a big contract or they are demanding one. At pick 30 in the draft finding a big time impact pass rusher isn't easy. Free agency will be hard too because of the cap situation. 

I think the best hope is to try and find a trade for a player with 2 years left on his rookie deal and punt an extension to 2022. But that isn't and won't be easy to find. It is going to be a tricky off-season to retain all or most of the team's talent and add those last 1-2 pieces needed.

I can see Beane moving up in a draft to get someone too.

24 minutes ago, TPS said:

I can see Beane moving up in a draft to get someone too.

If I were Beane I would try and trade for the Jaguars Josh Allen, maybe package pick 62 and a future conditional 4th? JA had 10.5 sacks his rookie year but only had 2.5 sacks in 8 games in 2020 and then got hurt.

Maybe you get the Jags to bite getting back a late 2nd for a player drafted from a previous regime? These types of risky creative moves are what might be needed. Not sure Meyer is going to want to move off of a player so quickly but it could happen.

All the stuff in the OP sounds great, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t anticipating a down year for the Bills in 2021...Not a bad year, but perhaps something in the neighborhood of 10-6 or 11-5...

And unfortunately, the fault is NOT of the Bills own doing, but by the limitations a Covid-restricting salary cap will have on the young team.

They were expecting to be roughly, $20-30 million under the cap in 2021, but because of lost revenue, there is a good chance the Bills will be over the cap, and forced to cut solid vets and be unable to resign homegrown talent...

I fear 2021 might end up being a “regrouping” year, where the team must re-establish a new, young core of players on rookie contracts, that will form a new foundation moving forward...

Then again, who knows? Just some food for thought...👍

Edited by JaCrispy

3 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

All the stuff in the OP sounds great, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t anticipating a down year for the Bills in 2021...Not a bad year, but perhaps something in the neighborhood of 10-6 or 11-5...

And unfortunately, the fault is NOT of the Bills own doing, but by the limitations a Covid-restricting salary cap will have on the young team.

They were expecting to be roughly, $20-30 million under the cap in 2021, but because of lost revenue, there is a good chance the Bills will be over the cap, and forced to cut solid vets and be unable to resign homegrown talent...

I fear 2021 might end up being a “regrouping” year, where the team must re-establish a new, young core of players on rookie contracts, that will form a new foundation moving forward...

Then again, who knows? Just some food for thought...👍

While I get this, every team is in this same place, relatively.  Is there enough salary to pay all NFL players, at their expectation?

• SlimShady'sSpaceForce changed the title to Bills Today | One step the Bills can take to represent as contenders for the AFC in Super Bowl LVI

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-today-espn-analyst-sees-bills-as-a-power-in-afc-in-2021

"The first time they could not stop the run and the second time around I thought the game plan that Leslie Frazier put together was excellent. I thought they were ready to go and then their offense looked like they were trying too hard. They weren't themselves."

Hasselbeck said with the way the Bills were playing in the second half of the season he saw them as legitimate championship contenders, but felt they didn't play at their optimum level.

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-today-espn-analyst-sees-bills-as-a-power-in-afc-in-2021

"The first time they could not stop the run and the second time around I thought the game plan that Leslie Frazier put together was excellent. I thought they were ready to go and then their offense looked like they were trying too hard. They weren't themselves."

Hasselbeck said with the way the Bills were playing in the second half of the season he saw them as legitimate championship contenders, but felt they didn't play at their optimum level.

They lacked swagger and it showed on the field.