Deshaun Watson officially requests trade from Houston

Process

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Texans still sticking to their guns so far.  Wonder how long they can hold out.  If Watson signed the contract and then they traded Hopkins, I can see him having a leg to stand on.  He signed the extension knowing what he was dealing with. His fault imo.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30853055/sources-houston-texans-insist-other-teams-trade-deshaun-watson%3fplatform=amp

i think they should hold out, but I think their choice in HC could be the worst HC hire in history, so Watson may just sit out forever.  Dude is already set for life if he so chooses.  Tough game of chicken to play.  Only thing I care about is keeping him out of the AFCE and preferably into to the NFC

they may hold out but damn if Cal McNair and Co have boned this situation up real good. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

they may hold out but damn if Cal McNair and Co have boned this situation up real good. 

Did they tho?

Have we heard from Watson himself as he holds the organization and fans hostage, that he was promised a legit say in the GM hire?

Has he said anything publicly about it?

Seems to me that's what a professional would do especially since you think that the people you work for and just signed with are not.

49 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Did they tho?

Have we heard from Watson himself as he holds the organization and fans hostage, that he was promised a legit say in the GM hire?

Has he said anything publicly about it?

Seems to me that's what a professional would do especially since you think that the people you work for and just signed with are not.

When the “people you work for” are crazy jesus freaks and idiots I say anything is in bounds and yes Watson has put it out there, maybe indirectly, that he’s done with those morons and I don’t blame him one bit

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

When the “people you work for” are crazy jesus freaks and idiots I say anything is in bounds and yes Watson has put it out there, maybe indirectly, that he’s done with those morons and I don’t blame him one bit

I agree, and don't think he has any duty to them or to speak out publicly. I do think he should be adult enough to explain to Caserio and Culley where he is at though. It isn't their fault. Not saying he should be conciliatory in those conversations but he should take their calls and just be completely honest about how he has got to this point and what (or where) his preference now lies.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree, and don't think he has any duty to them or to speak out publicly. I do think he should be adult enough to explain to Caserio and Culley where he is at though. It isn't their fault. Not saying he should be conciliatory in those conversations but he should take their calls and just be completely honest about how he has got to this point and what (or where) his preference now lies.  

absolutely. Watson should relate to these guys (politely) that this just ain’t it for him. After all, independent of Caserio and Culley it was Mcnair and Easterby that ruined that relationship.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

That's a very dumb, irrelevant analogy.  He's not some $50K per year non-contractually obligated office schlub.   To whom much is given, much is expected.

I mean....were they not "jesus freaks" when he signed his contract that called for a "no trade" clause 5 months ago?    It's not like Houston didn't have options.   They could have Dak Prescotted him.  

I don't begrudge him asking for a trade but trying to force his way out of a team that just gave his once homeless family generational wealth when it didn't have to....that attitude sure ain't gratitude.

There is a line between being in an unfortunate situation and an untenable one.   It was unfortunate when he signed the contract.......if it was tenable then it's tenable now.

If he wants to go.......START by dropping the no trade clause.......let Houston trade him for 5 #1 picks and a bunch of other picks.   Otherwise......he should go down to the corner store and get a bag of ***** and start munching while he sits out 2020.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That's a very dumb, irrelevant analogy.  He's not some $50K per year non-contractually obligated office schlub.   To whom much is given, much is expected.

I mean....were they not "jesus freaks" when he signed his contract that called for a "no trade" clause 5 months ago?    It's not like Houston didn't have options.   They could have Dak Prescotted him.  

I don't begrudge him asking for a trade but trying to force his way out of a team that just gave his once homeless family generational wealth when it didn't have to....that attitude sure ain't gratitude.

There is a line between being in an unfortunate situation and an untenable one.   It was unfortunate when he signed the contract.......if it was tenable then it's tenable now.

If he wants to go.......START by dropping the no trade clause.......let Houston trade him for 5 #1 picks and a bunch of other picks.   Otherwise......he should go down to the corner store and get a bag of ***** and start munching while he sits out 2020.

well i didn’t make an analogy so who’s the dumb one here? 🤔

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Easterby was hired in early 2020, and Watson signed the extension 7 months later (in a covid situation). I think it’s fair to assume that he didn’t realize that he was going to be working under a cultish short-haired friend of Jesus driving a chartreuse microbus. I give Watson a hard pass on this one. Easterby and McNair suck and are toxic. To quote Janis Joplin, get out while you can.

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If he doesn't turn up they don't have to pay him. 

They already paid him a $27M bonus so there was an understanding that his contract was more than just a weekly pay check, GB.   He doesn't have to show up.   They don't have to pay him.   They can go after the bonus while he eats said bag of ***** and gives away a season of his career.   Whatever.   I'd say "hopefully" it doesn't come to that.........but honestly I hope all parties involved are sufficiently harmed to the benefit of the Bills.    It would be to the benefit of the small market Bills for this to go poorly for him, IMO.   

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They already paid him a $27M bonus so there was an understanding that his contract was more than just a weekly pay check, GB.   He doesn't have to show up.   They don't have to pay him.   They can go after the bonus while he eats said bag of ***** and gives away a season of his career.   Whatever.   I'd say "hopefully" it doesn't come to that.........but honestly I hope all parties involved are sufficiently harmed to the benefit of the Bills.    It would be to the benefit of the small market Bills for this to go poorly for him, IMO.   

For sure. But clearly there has been a complete breakdown of trust at this point. Houston has two choices now IMO. Let him sit out or trade him. I honestly think it has gone past the point where the two can come back together. That is where I think it is incumbent upon Watson to talk to the GM and to the coach. 

I get the point about there being teams in the league especially smaller markets who will want Houston to hold out but I think this is the way things are heading.

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

For sure. But clearly there has been a complete breakdown of trust at this point. Houston has two choices now IMO. Let him sit out or trade him. I honestly think it has gone past the point where the two can come back together. That is where I think it is incumbent upon Watson to talk to the GM and to the coach. 

I get the point about there being teams in the league especially smaller markets who will want Houston to hold out but I think this is the way things are heading.

I think there is a bit too much assumption on the part of people that Watson is making these decisions simply because the ownership/upper management are total freaks.    He reportedly was very influenced by Houston Rockets NBA star James Harden recently forcing his way out of Houston and onto a Brooklyn Nets team so he could play for a title with his buddies.    The NBA model can't work in football.  Remove the competitive balance from football and the entire system comes down like a house of cards.   That's not an exaggeration.  The NFL can't replicate their game experience 100-200 times per year like the NBA and MLB so the perception that the playing field is relatively even is critical.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think there is a bit too much assumption on the part of people that Watson is making these decisions simply because the ownership/upper management are total freaks.    

I disagree with this. I genuinely do believe it is about his relationship with those two individuals having broken down to the point where it is irreconcilable.

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Apparently Houston isn't even taking the calls from other teams calling about Watson and telling them they aren't trading him

That’s the right approach.  They CANNOT trade him.  It would be unforgivable, especially for an organization that has made so many critical mistakes.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Process said:

How much money does Watson lose out on if he just sits out the whole year? Im sure he got a bunch guaranteed/up front but can't imagine him giving up a year's salary plus fines over a grudge. 

I think the Texans have a lot of leverage here. 

He signed after the Tunsil and Hopkins trades right? If so he has no one to blame but himself.

I think it is only like $10 million which makes it interesting. His new contract doesn't really kick in till the following year where he would be losing like $30 million.

As has been pointed out, Palmer sat out or retired with $80 million in the bank. So far Watson has only netted about half that amount. I don't think money is an issue this year. But next year it could be.

i don't doubt the FO situation in houston is awful, but Watson signed the contract.

it's tight, but i think it may be better for the league (for fans, we are the only ones who matter) if houston punishes him.  players getting bigger than teams is a bridge too far.

• Like (+1) 1