My reasons for the loss.

NewEra

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

1-  Coaching:  Reid dominated Frazier.  Again.  Chiefs best play makers running wide open all game.  Spags dominated Daboll.  Again. Spags disguises his coverages flawlessly. Our WRs we blanketed all game.  They have better play callers on both sides of the ball.  Mcdermott made some bad decisions.  He trusted his defense more than he trusted his offense.  That was his biggest mistake. His choice to go for two on our last TD was beyond confusing. Down 16 was the way to go at that point in the game.  Made no sense to go for it then. I can’t recall a play where we lined up 6-7 guys on the LOS and made Mahomes decipher who’s rushing.  Spags did it every 2-3 plays.  Mahomes is great vs the blitz.  So is Josh.  That didn’t stop the chiefs from bringing the heat all game.  It certainly stopped us.  Probably because we can’t run the ball worth a dam. 

2-  Cbris Jones-  he’s a complete game wrecker and the 2nd best defensive player in the league imo.  Frank Clark is a beast as well.  The afc will be going through KC for the foreseeable future.  We have to find a way to limited Jones’ effectiveness vs us going forward.  Meanwhile.....our DL was stifled by 2 7th rd picks and 2 undrafted free agents on their OL.  Mahomes was a magician in the pocket. As always.  Going almost untouched behind his OL made up of nobodies.  Spags > Josh yesterday.  

3-  Our inability to run the ball efficiently.  I said months ago that it would be our downfall in the playoffs if we couldn’t find a way to balance our offense a bit more.  It was.  I like the person, but I hope that was Singletarys last game as a Bill.  His drop was monumental.  A game changjng play. 
That can’t happen.  WIDE OPEN.  Again.  
We need to make the proper adjustments along the OL, scheme and in personnel this offseason.  Retooling our run game is paramount.  If that means that our pass protection takes slight  hit, so be it. We’re too one dimensional.  Period. 

4-  Edmunds-  Spags picked on him in coverage all game.  Every team should.  For all the physical talent he possesses, he doesn’t process fast enough.  It’s been 3 years.  How many more years will it take him to catch on. He’s always a step behind. He shouldn’t be playing MLB if we want to win the Super Bowl.  We can hide his deficiencies over the course of the season, but when we play the elite of the elite, I don’t feel as if he can survive being picked on. We thought we had two of the best coverage LBers in the league.  We have maybe the best safety duo in the league..... yet Kelce was WIDE OPEN all game.      Edmunds is only good in coverage because of his height and length.  He lacks instincts vs the run and the pass.  I don’t expect us to move on from him.  I hear we should shift him to the outside.....how will that help him in coverage?  Idk.  He’s a good player but the only goal at this point is winning the super bowl.  Winning the SB, we’re going to have to beat KC....and Kelce.  Kelce is Edmunds daddy.  

This offseason-  

-i doubt it happens now, but I’d love for Frazier to become the HC in Houston.  Great guy and he’d be a loss, but 2 3rd round draft picks and the opportunity to add a new way of thinking to our D room would be refreshing imo.  

-I hope we look deeper into this matchup vs KC and find a way to defend and attack them better.  Their weakness in D is stopping the run.  They want to play nickel and dime and we don’t have the ability to force them out of it.  They defended our pass without regard to our run game.  Our run game crippled our best asset, our pass game.  Wether we like it or not, KC is our daddy.  We have to find a way to matchup better in terms of talent, scheme and mindset. Chris Jones will continue to dominate Feliciano.  I love Jon.  I just don’t think he’s physically able to do the job vs Jones.  

-John Brown will be cut, and that’s fine.  Maybe we’ll come back at a reduced salary? Idk, but 8 mill is too rich imo.

- D. Williams or Milano.  I doubt we keep both unless they take less than market value to stay.  Whichever one leaves, finding their replacement will be paramount.  Two very important positions, especially Milano considering the defense that we employ. 

- Levi/ Norman-  maybe this was the game where we realized that we need another really quality corner to beat the chiefs?  Tyreek was wide open on ever play.  Again.... WIDE OPEN.  We rarely had a defender close to him.  Is that the scheme? Partly. Wallace and Norman aren’t fast enough to even pretend they can cover a talent like hill....and he’s not going anywhere. We’ll see him in en route to the Super Bowl every year.  Along with Kelce right next to him.  We need better matchups vs those two. 

- as mentioned earlier-  fix the run game.  Don’t ask me how.  Just fix it. We can’t continue to be this one dimensional if we want to beat this team, let alone win a super bowl. 

-  side note- sucks that Spags will probably be the Chiefs DC for the next 5+ years.  He’s really good at his job. Meanwhile....teams are contemplating Leslie Frazier as their HC, while Spags dominated in KC, winning Super Bowls.  The irony.

great season guys and gals.  I’m proud of our boys.  I’m proud of our season.  I’m proud of our fans.  I’m proud of the fight our men showed.  While it looked like we melted down emotionally in the end, I love the fire and the passion.  It was immature and I understand why others would look down on the personal fouls, I’m not a fan of the Okafor cheap shot prior and Josh let him know by throwing the ball in his face.  His protectors then protected their leader.  As they should.  I love the fight that showed.  This rivalry is real.  It’s intense. It’s not going to change. If we want the results to change, we need to change.  Not a whole lot, we’re really good.  We could’ve won with proper coaching decisions and some executed plays.  We didn’t.....but we will.  I Billieve!! 

it was so frustrating that we didn't touch Mahomes. 

I thought we'd hit him early and often,  even if it meant a big play. See how healthy he really is.  Very disappointing gameplan.  We played scared. Showed em too much respect.  I do believe McD learns from this and attacks them way differently. 

We play KC in regular season. 

Wouldn't shock me if it was week 1...

5 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

it was so frustrating that we didn't touch Mahomes. 

I thought we'd hit him early and often,  even if it meant a big play. See how healthy he really is.  Very disappointing gameplan.  We played scared. Showed em too much respect.  I do believe McD learns from this and attacks them way differently. 

We play KC in regular season. 

Wouldn't shock me if it was week 1...

Part of the reason we didn’t touch him is because their WRs were wide open in the middle of the field 1 sec after the ball

is snapped.  It’s as if our game plan was to leave them wide open.

I saw a stat, of Mahomes 38 passes, there were only 3 passes in which there was a bills defender within a yard of the receiver.  That’s 💯 on Frazier and McDermott.  They coached scared and deserved the loss. 

that said, our pass rush wasn’t very good when he held the ball for more than 2 secs

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Allen's facemark was grasped last night, he was slapped in the head by a blitzing DB while in the pocket...no call on either.

The Jones punch...no call.

Defensive holding/illegal contact....called once all game.

Why have rules if they are selectively enforced and not consistently applied?

Because it's not the same group of referees/side judges etc each game. Rules are too subjective in some instances. Also many refs leave the replay to correct calls when they aren't sure. 

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Part of the reason we didn’t touch him is because their WRs were wide open in the middle of the field 1 sec after the ball

is snapped.  It’s as if our game plan was to leave them wide open.

I saw a stat, of Mahomes 38 passes, there were only 3 passes in which there was a bills defender within a yard of the receiver.  That’s 💯 on Frazier and McDermott.  They coached scared and deserved the loss. 

that said, our pass rush wasn’t very good when he held the ball for more than 2 secs

Wow.

That stat being within a yard in only  3 /38 passes is absolutely brutal.  

I agree,  that'sMcD and Frazier not having this defense in the right spots. I'm optimistic they'll dwell on this game all off season and come back with way more creativity and aggressiveness vs KC. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Wow.

That stat being within a yard in only  3 /38 passes is absolutely brutal.  

I agree,  that'sMcD and Frazier not having this defense in the right spots. I'm optimistic they'll dwell on this game all off season and come back with way more creativity and aggressiveness vs KC. 

Creativity and disguise is the key.  We had no creativity and didn’t disguise anything.  We lined up 4 along the line and Mahomes and their OL knew exactly who was coming on every play.  Meanwhile they would line up 6-8 and made us think about everything split second.

im really so disappointed in the fact that we played such a vanilla game on D.  Again.  Sigh

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

1-  Coaching:  Reid dominated Frazier.  Again.  Chiefs best play makers running wide open all game.  Spags dominated Daboll.  Again. Spags disguises his coverages flawlessly. Our WRs we blanketed all game.  They have better play callers on both sides of the ball.  Mcdermott made some bad decisions.  He trusted his defense more than he trusted his offense.  That was his biggest mistake. His choice to go for two on our last TD was beyond confusing. Down 16 was the way to go at that point in the game.  Made no sense to go for it then. I can’t recall a play where we lined up 6-7 guys on the LOS and made Mahomes decipher who’s rushing.  Spags did it every 2-3 plays.  Mahomes is great vs the blitz.  So is Josh.  That didn’t stop the chiefs from bringing the heat all game.  It certainly stopped us.  Probably because we can’t run the ball worth a dam. 

2-  Cbris Jones-  he’s a complete game wrecker and the 2nd best defensive player in the league imo.  Frank Clark is a beast as well.  The afc will be going through KC for the foreseeable future.  We have to find a way to limited Jones’ effectiveness vs us going forward.  Meanwhile.....our DL was stifled by 2 7th rd picks and 2 undrafted free agents on their OL.  Mahomes was a magician in the pocket. As always.  Going almost untouched behind his OL made up of nobodies.  Spags > Josh yesterday.  

3-  Our inability to run the ball efficiently.  I said months ago that it would be our downfall in the playoffs if we couldn’t find a way to balance our offense a bit more.  It was.  I like the person, but I hope that was Singletarys last game as a Bill.  His drop was monumental.  A game changjng play. 
We need to make the proper adjustments along the OL, scheme and in personnel this offseason.  Retooling our run game is paramount.  If that means that our pass protection takes slight  hit, so be it. We’re too one dimensional.  Period. 

4-  Edmunds-  Spags picked on him in coverage all game.  Every team should.  For all the physical talent he possesses, he doesn’t process fast enough.  It’s been 3 years.  How many more years will it take him to catch on. He’s always a step behind. He shouldn’t be playing MLB if we want to win the Super Bowl.  We can hide his deficiencies over the course of the season, but when we play the elite of the elite, I don’t feel as if he can survive being picked on. We thought we had two of the best coverage LBers in the league.  We have maybe the best safety duo in the league..... yet Kelce was WIDE OPEN all game.      Edmunds is only good in coverage because of his height and length.  He lacks instincts vs the run and the pass.  I don’t expect us to move on from him.  I hear we should shift him to the outside.....how will that help him in coverage?  Idk.  He’s a good player but the only goal at this point is winning the super bowl.  Winning the SB, we’re going to have to beat KC....and Kelce.  Kelce is Edmunds daddy.  

This offseason-  

-i doubt it happens now, but I’d love for Frazier to become the HC in Houston.  Great guy and he’d be a loss, but 2 3rd round draft picks and the opportunity to add a new way of thinking to our D room would be refreshing imo.  

-I hope we look deeper into this matchup vs KC and find a way to defend and attack them better.  Their weakness in D is stopping the run.  They want to play nickel and dime and we don’t have the ability to force them out of it.  They defended our pass without regard to our run game.  Our run game crippled our best asset, our pass game.  Wether we like it or not, KC is our daddy.  We have to find a way to matchup better in terms of talent, scheme and mindset. Chris Jones will continue to dominate Feliciano.  I love Jon.  I just don’t think he’s physically able to do the job vs Jones.  

-John Brown will be cut, and that’s fine.  Maybe we’ll come back at a reduced salary? Idk, but 8 mill is too rich imo.

- D. Williams or Milano.  I doubt we keep both unless they take less than market value to stay.  Whichever one leaves, finding their replacement will be paramount.  Two very important positions, especially Milano considering the defense that we employ. 

- Levi/ Norman-  maybe this was the game where we realized that we need another really quality corner to beat the chiefs?  Tyreek was wide open on ever play.  Again.... WIDE OPEN.  We rarely had a defender close to him.  Is that the scheme? Partly. Wallace and Norman aren’t fast enough to even pretend they can cover a talent like hill....and he’s not going anywhere. We’ll see him in en route to the Super Bowl every year.  Along with Kelce right next to him.  We need better matchups vs those two. 

- as mentioned earlier-  fix the run game.  Don’t ask me how.  Just fix it. We can’t continue to be this one dimensional if we want to beat this team, let alone win a super bowl. 

-  side note- sucks that Spags will probably be the Chiefs DC for the next 5+ years.  He’s really good at his job. Meanwhile....teams are contemplating Leslie Frazier as their HC, while Spags dominated in KC, winning Super Bowls.  The irony.

great season guys and gals.  I’m proud of our boys.  I’m proud of our season.  I’m proud of our fans.  I’m proud of the fight our men showed.  While it looked like we melted down emotionally in the end, I love the fire and the passion.  It was immature and I understand why others would look down on the personal fouls, I’m not a fan of the Okafor cheap shot prior and Josh let him know by throwing the ball in his face.  His protectors then protected their leader.  As they should.  I love the fight that showed.  This rivalry is real.  It’s intense. It’s not going to change. If we want the results to change, we need to change.  Not a whole lot, we’re really good.  We could’ve won with proper coaching decisions and some executed plays.  We didn’t.....but we will.  I Billieve!! 

1— it came down to a few plays. Buffalo got 2 TDs instead of FGs and hold KC to a FZg at the start of the 4th it woukd be 27-23 KC...different game.  Remember our receivers were not 100%.

2– pass can be used to set up the run.  I do t have an issue with a 4 yd run vs a 4 yr screen or toss.  Stop blasting Singletary. He didn’t do that bad running.

3– you don’t measure LB/S coverage against the top TE in the league and thing the problem is in your players.  There are scheme changes they could have played and not,any too soft and make plays on 3rd and long or 2nd along and not allow them 3/4 and under 2.

4– blame the CBs snd not the defensive scheme used. Brilliant take...not.  You need to factor in the scheme used.  From their prior 8 oppents, 5 of them kept it a close game keeping it a one score game throughout the game if they didn’t have the lead.  What schemes did they use.

5. Decisions need to be mad on some players and the cap.  Also remember the defense had a couple of players sit out the season. KC has roster decisions to make too being I think $20M over.

23 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

1— it came down to a few plays. Buffalo got 2 TDs instead of FGs and hold KC to a FZg at the start of the 4th it woukd be 27-23 KC...different game.  Remember our receivers were not 100%.

2– pass can be used to set up the run.  I do t have an issue with a 4 yd run vs a 4 yr screen or toss.  Stop blasting Singletary. He didn’t do that bad running.

3– you don’t measure LB/S coverage against the top TE in the league and thing the problem is in your players.  There are scheme changes they could have played and not,any too soft and make plays on 3rd and long or 2nd along and not allow them 3/4 and under 2.

4– blame the CBs snd not the defensive scheme used. Brilliant take...not.  You need to factor in the scheme used.  From their prior 8 oppents, 5 of them kept it a close game keeping it a one score game throughout the game if they didn’t have the lead.  What schemes did they use.

5. Decisions need to be mad on some players and the cap.  Also remember the defense had a couple of players sit out the season. KC has roster decisions to make too being I think $20M over.

1-  we had 1 TD scoring drive....and it came at the 4 minute mark of the 4th qtr.  our offense was stifled by their gameplan and our inability to make adjustments to it

2- singletary isn’t a good rb. He’s a dime a dozen rb that will be a backup for the rest of his career, which might only be 2-3 more years. if you can’t see this, you need to watch more football or just stop watching entirely. 

3- Edmunds gave up a passer rating of 130 when targeted this year.  I’m sure it’s all on the scheme.  He reacts slower than most MLBs I watch play.  He needs to diagnose quicker

4-  I most definitely stated that the scheme was part of the problem.....reading comprehension.  Josh Norman is not a good corner at this point.  Levi is ok. Nothing special.  Neither are capable of attempting to cover Tyreek hill 

5- we had one player of worth opt out. Now he’s just another year older and will have gone 20 months without playing a snap.   

Are you suggesting that the chiefs won’t be in the mix for the afc crown next season?  All 6 of their elite players are under contract next season. They’ll be just fine unless they suffer multiple big injuries.

Edited by NewEra

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

No...it was because we couldn’t score enough.  If we would’ve beaten the Texans, we would’ve gotten crushed by someone else......because we couldn’t score!  That WAS the narrative behind last years team.  We couldn’t score. Our lack of a running game was not the problem.  It may have been a problem, but not nearly as much as fixing our pass offense.....which couldn’t consistently move the chains and out TDs on the board.  That’s a fact

Thanks.  Great post too. I agree with everything.  We are ascending and I can’t wait to see what the FO has under their sleeves this offseason 👍🏻

I agree with that--it was a fact.  But also a fact was that Daboll's low run  philosophy was made even worse when the Bills seriously beefed up the WR room with Diggs and Davis.  Yesterday we found out the result of that oversight.

I think we played scared. It's that old Yankees Pinstripes thingy. Brady won't be afraid. They played man coverage a lot and I thought Josh should have taken advantage of that by scrambling more, even for modest gains. Also, if I'm to be honest, KC just has better talent right now. Our roster is still a work in progress.

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I agree with that--it was a fact.  But also a fact was that Daboll's low run  philosophy was made even worse when the Bills seriously beefed up the WR room with Diggs and Davis.  Yesterday we found out the result of that oversight.

I hear ya.

I just feel good about our chances of having a better run offense next season.  I feel confidant that Mcdermott and Beane are going study this matchup with the chiefs and use it.  After they examine this matchup, theY WILL come to the conclusion that our inability to run the ball led to our downfall.  It’s obvious that our lack of running game allows the chiefs D to sell out to stop the pass and they know how to execute it as they’ve shown us that twice in the last 4 months.  It’s pretty much common knowledge don’t ya think?  

we’ll just have to wait and see. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Everything in NewEra's post is right on point.  The problem is that Mahomes, Hill and (especially) Kelce are transcendent talents.  No one seemingly slows them down.  In fact, check out the stats from our first game against KC, we did a better job of limiting them than almost every other team in the league.  Obviously, our approach and execution weren't nearly good enough to beat them (either time).  But Kelce and Hill dominate anyone and everyone when they feel like it.  Chiefs played down to some opponents out of boredom this season, but they are a GREAT team as we saw last night.  We could really use an elite pass rusher, elite middle linebacker and top shelf gamebreaking running back, but couldn't everyone? Lol.

Unprepared coaches and poor defensive game planning , receivers who shouldn't have played and a running back that has been so timid and disappointing after a promising rookie year. The problems started in the Indie game and after getting past 2 teams that weren't in KCs class , we were made aware of deficiencies that must be fixed. Coaching and personnel. 

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Everything in NewEra's post is right on point.  The problem is that Mahomes, Hill and (especially) Kelce are transcendent talents.  No one seemingly slows them down.  In fact, check out the stats from our first game against KC, we did a better job of limiting them than almost every other team in the league.  Obviously, our approach and execution weren't nearly good enough to beat them (either time).  But Kelce and Hill dominate anyone and everyone when they feel like it.  Chiefs played down to some opponents out of boredom this season, but they are a GREAT team as we saw last night.  We could really use an elite pass rusher, elite middle linebacker and top shelf gamebreaking running back, but couldn't everyone? Lol.

Agreed on all points.  

Like you said, the chiefs are close to unstoppable.  I don’t think we should make stopping them our focus.  It’s going to be near impossible if we don’t have a home wrecker pass rusher....which we don’t have.  We have to limit their possessions, score TDs and hope they make some mistakes.  I don’t see how we can outscore them if we allow them to sellout to stop the pass.  We have to force them to play a more balanced D.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Creativity and disguise is the key.  We had no creativity and didn’t disguise anything.  We lined up 4 along the line and Mahomes and their OL knew exactly who was coming on every play.  Meanwhile they would line up 6-8 and made us think about everything split second.

im really so disappointed in the fact that we played such a vanilla game on D.  Again.  Sigh

I agree, but Reid and Spags had the luxury of having been to and won (and lost) multiple championship and Super Bowl games before.  They had the courage and confidence forged from their past trials to put together the type of schemes and gameday decisions we've seen during the past two weeks.  No way does Reid go for that fourth down against the Browns when he was coaching the Eagles to NFC Championship losses.  McDermott just hasn't had that luxury, so he's naturally going to err on the side of conservatism and sticking to what his team knows.  He'd get killed if we saw the same outcome last night while running a bunch of exotic/disguised looks with a young linebacking crew when we hadn't seen that all season.  

McDermott (and Beane and Daboll and Josh) has improved every season.  Let's hope they all saw what we did and learned some hard lessons from last night that make the next matchup a little more competitive.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

This offseason-  

I could sum up everything you said in a few words "we lost in the trenches"  Totally agree with all of this