Josh Allen's dad to miss AFC Championship Game as he recovers from covid and pneumonia 🙏 [Edit again]

Covid or not.......pneumonia is just a very self-employed outdoors worker thing to get.......they don't miss a day of work for 40 years so when they get a respiratory issue they are used to just working thru it.   In many businesses they won't let you work if you are hacking up phlegm and spreading germs in the workplace.........but farmers are outdoors or alone in the pickup much of the day and it's easy to rationalize that you are just going out to the field for a bit and the next thing you know you are exerting yourself changing a tractor tire or getting soaked fixing the irrigation pivots or something.    Then you get home and start hacking like a SOB.

When I heard that Josh was wanting to plant pistachios my VERY FIRST thought was that they wanted Dad to start taking it easy.   Row crops are everyday work and stress.   Tobacco is at the extreme end of that spectrum.   Tree nuts? .......the co-op basically manages for you.......you could probably die and they wouldn't notice for a few years when they audited and found you hadn't cashed your checks.   That's gentleman farmin' and for a high risk farmer like Josh's dad that's like asking Dad to quit coaching football.   They might have to move him to Vegas to retire him.:lol:

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Covid or not.......pneumonia is just a very self-employed outdoors worker thing to get.......they don't miss a day of work for 40 years so when they get a respiratory issue they are used to just working thru it.   In many businesses they won't let you work if you are hacking up phlegm and spreading germs in the workplace.........but farmers are outdoors or alone in the pickup much of the day and it's easy to rationalize that you are just going out to the field for a bit and the next thing you know you are exerting yourself changing a tractor tire or getting soaked fixing the irrigation pivots or something.    Then you get home and start hacking like a SOB.

When I heard that Josh was wanting to plant pistachios my VERY FIRST thought was that they wanted Dad to start taking it easy.   Row crops are everyday work and stress.   Tobacco is at the extreme end of that spectrum.   Tree nuts? .......the co-op basically manages for you.......you could probably die and they wouldn't notice for a few years when they audited and found you hadn't cashed your checks.   That's gentleman farmin' and for a high risk farmer like Josh's dad that's like asking Dad to quit coaching football.   They might have to move him to Vegas to retire him.:lol:

This is off-topic so I won't keep this going, but in the Central Valley where Josh's family farms, the big stress isn't the row crops per se, it's the need for irrigation and the water rights.  With drought, the San Joaquin River Valley was pretty much shut off for 3 years in a row to the detriment of the farmers.  "The U.S. Bureau of Reclamation determines how much water each district will receive annually. Westlands water comes from the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta. The allocation is based on reservoir levels, precipitation and snowpack in the Sierra Nevada. A full water allocation for Westlands' 600,000 agricultural acres is 1.2 million acre feet (enough to cover an acre at a depth of one foot). The allocation for 2014 and 2015 was zero percent. In 2016, it was 5 percent."

The big corporation farms responded by digging artesian wells and planting pistachio trees, but that takes investment capital.  When you have a small farm in debt (which is where the Allens were) investors aren't lining up.  Well hey y'all, guess who's the investor now?  Josh talked about how they have a 5 year plan to convert the farm to pistachios.  If he gets the Big Payday they may "accelerate the timeline" as the saying goes.  But the Central Valley farms (including Allen farms) desire to convert to trendy tree nuts predates Josh's football career, he just brings the $$ to make it feasible.

I believe the family is also transitioning the farm operations over to Josh's younger brother: "Josh's little brother, Jason, has decided to study agriculture at Fresno State and get into the family business. Joel contends Jason was a better athlete than Josh, but back injuries snuffed his baseball pursuits at Saddleback College."

I don't think they'll be moving the Allen family to Vegas.  Somewhere over on the coast, more likely.

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Around 12:00 was listening to NFL radio and Vic Carruci reported it was Covid so who knows??

All these reports are based on an original report comes from an LA Times article which said covid-19 but then later edited that out, either because it was wrong or because someone contacted them and said "HIPAA, Baby"

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is off-topic so I won't keep this going, but in the Central Valley where Josh's family farms, the big stress isn't the row crops per se, it's the need for irrigation and the water rights.  With drought, the San Joaquin River Valley was pretty much shut off for 3 years in a row to the detriment of the farmers.  "The U.S. Bureau of Reclamation determines how much water each district will receive annually. Westlands water comes from the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta. The allocation is based on reservoir levels, precipitation and snowpack in the Sierra Nevada. A full water allocation for Westlands' 600,000 agricultural acres is 1.2 million acre feet (enough to cover an acre at a depth of one foot). The allocation for 2014 and 2015 was zero percent. In 2016, it was 5 percent."

The big corporation farms responded by digging artesian wells and planting pistachio trees, but that takes investment capital.  When you have a small farm in debt (which is where the Allens were) investors aren't lining up.  Well hey y'all, guess who's the investor now?  Josh talked about how they have a 5 year plan to convert the farm to pistachios.  If he gets the Big Payday they may "accelerate the timeline" as the saying goes.  But the Central Valley farms (including Allen farms) desire to convert to trendy tree nuts predates Josh's football career, he just brings the $$ to make it feasible.

I believe the family is also transitioning the farm operations over to Josh's younger brother: "Josh's little brother, Jason, has decided to study agriculture at Fresno State and get into the family business. Joel contends Jason was a better athlete than Josh, but back injuries snuffed his baseball pursuits at Saddleback College."

I don't think they'll be moving the Allen family to Vegas.  Somewhere over on the coast, more likely.

All these reports are based on an original report comes from an LA Times article which said covid-19 but then later edited that out, either because it was wrong or because someone contacted them and said "HIPAA, Baby"

So was this what the movie Chinatown was all about?  Close to 50 years ago, but... do recall it was all about California water rights.

I'm certain that Bills Mafia of Kazakhstan will soon be posting:

Джош Аллен әкесі пневмония нығыз болғандықтан, жанат жей береді. Ол өз күшін жинап, нығайтылады. 

Josh Allen's father will crush pneumonia as the wolf eat a rabbit. He will gain its strength and be fortified. 

2 hours ago, transient said:

Or like when he lit up Seattle earlier this season after his grandmother passed. 

Yeah really. I almost am expecting it. We will likely need him to, to get a victory. Of course his family and father are what's most important and obviously come first. But just sayin I believe he just might have one of those unbelievable games because of this. So we will see.

Just seems like with some players that situations like this when a family member has passed, or sick etc, it gives them an extra drive or whatever you want to call it.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is off-topic so I won't keep this going, but in the Central Valley where Josh's family farms, the big stress isn't the row crops per se, it's the need for irrigation and the water rights. 

You definitely knew nothing about CA agriculture before you read that.:lol: 

• Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Can we please edit the article? Coronavirus is mentioned in both the LA Times and Yahoo article. No need to whitewash.

Nobody is white washing, I looked earlier at it wasn’t in there. 

It was changed twice now. 

37 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You definitely knew nothing about CA agriculture before you read that.:lol:

You definitely like to make pronouncements about which you know nothing

As it happens, you're mistaken .....again.  I tend to choose relevant sources when I post, that's all.

Do not mistake that for absence of other knowledge.

Also do not mistake refusal to continue engaging with you for agreement or inability to refute.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

& journalistic accuracy. Likely removed because it was false.

Or unconfirmed, or requested by the family.

46 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Can we please edit the article? Coronavirus is mentioned in both the LA Times and Yahoo article. No need to whitewash.

When I looked at both earlier today (LA Times and a few hrs later the Yahoo mirror), the reference to coronavirus had been removed.

No need to project some kind of  "whitewashing" conspiracy onto attempting to maintain accuracy, but yes, I'm convinced now it's been restored and it's not a webcrawler delay, so I will re-edit.

• Like (+1) 1

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Josh Allen's dad to miss AFC Championship Game as he recovers from covid and pneumonia 🙏 [Edit again]