Practice Squad Strategy?

CoachWiley

Are the players Beane is adding to the PS only under contract for this season or do they maintain the rights beyond this season? 

I ask this because it seems like some of his additions certainly add depth for the playoff run, but could also be auditioning for roles on the squad next year. I’m thinking Stills, Freeman, Worthy, etc all could minimally be camp fodder for next year or could be contenders to win spots and will influence their approach to the official free agency season, the draft, etc. 

If their contracts void at the end of the season, at least the team has had them in the facility and have a grasp of whether or not to extend a new offer. There have been several benefits to the extended PS rosters and I hope the league considers continuing that practice beyond a pandemic season. 

Both, I think.    Depends on the player.  I am thinking Brown will be let go saving $8 million, and Sills is his replacement for next year at somewhat less than Brown commanded.  Now, don't get me wrong...Brown is a great player, but, Gabe has developed into a #2 it appears, and Beasley is the slot guy.   Sills could be a #2 or a slot guy, and McKenzie can get a new contract and replace Rogers it appears. (although Rogers is also very good)  So, I see the receiver moves here as positioning for next year, unless one of the big three go down.   Duke looks like his last year with the Bills, he would have played by now if they were going to trust him at all.  Think they might be foolish w all the wr's on the practice squad.? Bad breaks can happen.  I recall about 50  years ago in the AFL days, the Bills lost two strong safeties in one game in LA   The signed a guy right out of the stands to be the replacement (Bill Simpson) and he flew back with the team.  No practice squad in those days.....now things are more organized and the level of play should be more professional because of that.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Both, I think.    Depends on the player.  I am thinking Brown will be let go saving $8 million, and Sills is his replacement for next year at somewhat less than Brown commanded.  Now, don't get me wrong...Brown is a great player, but, Gabe has developed into a #2 it appears, and Beasley is the slot guy.   Sills could be a #2 or a slot guy, and McKenzie can get a new contract and replace Rogers it appears. (although Rogers is also very good)  So, I see the receiver moves here as positioning for next year, unless one of the big three go down.   Duke looks like his last year with the Bills, he would have played by now if they were going to trust him at all.  Think they might be foolish w all the wr's on the practice squad.? Bad breaks can happen.  I recall about 50  years ago in the AFL days, the Bills lost two strong safeties in one game in LA   The signed a guy right out of the stands to be the replacement (Bill Simpson) and he flew back with the team.  No practice squad in those days.....now things are more organized and the level of play should be more professional because of that.

Rogers? Roberts?

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not sure. But I'm pretty sure Kenny Stills and Devonta Freeman wouldn't have signed to the Practice Squad if we retained their rights beyond the Playoffs. Gotta imagine they protected themselves in some way to be Free Agents at the end of the year even if that were the case. We could always bring them back to a new contract at the end of the year if both sides were agreeable and I'll admit I'm a layman when it comes to the exact rules. But I'd be shocked if these guys signed on to possibly be Practice Squad players long term. They're hired guns. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19

3 hours ago, CoachWiley said:

Are the players Beane is adding to the PS only under contract for this season or do they maintain the rights beyond this season? 

I ask this because it seems like some of his additions certainly add depth for the playoff run, but could also be auditioning for roles on the squad next year. I’m thinking Stills, Freeman, Worthy, etc all could minimally be camp fodder for next year or could be contenders to win spots and will influence their approach to the official free agency season, the draft, etc. 

If their contracts void at the end of the season, at least the team has had them in the facility and have a grasp of whether or not to extend a new offer. There have been several benefits to the extended PS rosters and I hope the league considers continuing that practice beyond a pandemic season. 

As we have not heard about contract money or length - both of these would seem to be only under contract for this post season.

That does not mean they could not get a contract after the season and before FA begins, but at this point they are just PS for depth in the playoffs.

I'd imagine it works the same as players on the Bills roster.  They are property until the end of the NFL year, which is sometime early March.  That's why so many upcoming FA end up re-signing with their existing team as the existing team has exclusive rights until then and no one else can legally talk to them.

So yes I think they could end up signing Stills to a contract to replace Brown, but would need to be much cheaper, like 1/2 of Browns contract not just a little cheaper.

I'd resign McKenzie but also want to keep Roberts too.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

As we have not heard about contract money or length - both of these would seem to be only under contract for this post season.

That does not mean they could not get a contract after the season and before FA begins, but at this point they are just PS for depth in the playoffs.

I guess this was my original thinking when I posed the question. In a sense, Beane is getting a head start on the free agency period by bringing in better known PS players who could fit our plans for next year. If they can assess them enough during this period of time, it heightens the likelihood that they bring them back next year under a FA contract perhaps. It’s been really hard to disagree with many of the decisions this front office makes. I feel like they aren’t making knee-jerk reactions or decisions, as I felt Whaley did. They have a longer term strategy and that includes using the revised PS rules to the max. I have a lot of confidence and trust the process! 

Edited by CoachWiley

These signings are definitely insurance for the playoffs and to get a really good look and introduce them to the playbook (which they could study the whole offseason) for next year. If brown doesn’t restructure beane could cut him and sign Stills. Does Freeman have anything left in the tank? Here is the best way to find out. If they do sign elsewhere would they count toward the comp formula if they were never on the 53? 

4 hours ago, CoachWiley said:

I guess this was my original thinking when I posed the question. In a sense, Beane is getting a head start on the free agency period by bringing in better known PS players who could fit our plans for next year. If they can assess them enough during this period of time, it heightens the likelihood that they bring them back next year under a FA contract perhaps. It’s been really hard to disagree with many of the decisions this front office makes. I feel like they aren’t making knee-jerk reactions or decisions, as I felt Whaley did. They have a longer term strategy and that includes using the revised PS rules to the max. I have a lot of confidence and trust the process! 

I think in the case of Stills and Freeman - it is more the Bills desire to have experience / Veteran players available for an emergency- rather than a look ahead to next season.

I think McD would rather have a guy that has played in the league and shown some level of success to be available for an emergency call-up or in case a player of Brown or Beasley re-aggravate their injuries and can’t go.

Next year is still a long ways off in these guys minds and yes it could eventually lead to help for next year - I think that is just a plus not really part of their signing plan.  These moves are really all about the 4 game run they are in.

Whether these guys are insurance or a head start on next year I really have to hand it to Beane that he’s not just sitting in his office drinking coffee. Even though the Bills just registered their best record in decades he’s still hard at work every day making player moves and trying to improve his roster. It’s pretty cool really!