Key to beating the Ravens- beating the blitz

NewEra

Stopping the Ravens run game will obviously be crucial in coming away with a win, but I that as secondary. 

The Ravens defense is better than their offense. It’s the reason they win 11 games. Their D is predicted on the blitz, where they led the league in blitz% at over 45%.  It’s the reason they beat us last season.  Our offense couldn’t deal with the pressure and was inept.  

Josh has been one the best, if not the best, QB in dealing with the blitz this season. He has made the opposition pay when they bring extra rushers all season.  

Unfortunately for us, the ravens are loaded at cornerback.  Humphrey, Peters and Smith are the most physical CB group in the league.  How does that matchup vs the smaller and quicker WRs that we employ?  Will they be able to disrupt their routes at the LOS and throw off the timing while the blitzers bear down?  Will Martindale be able to confuse JA and force him into bad decisions?  Has Josh improved enough where he can decipher what the ravens are doing?  Can Daboll put together the proper game plan to beat the blitz?  

IMO- we win if we score 27+ and we’ll only do that if we can have success vs the blitz.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Stopping the Ravens run game will obviously be crucial in coming away with a win, but I that as secondary. 

The Ravens defense is better than their offense. It’s the reason they win 11 games. Their D is predicted on the blitz, where they led the league in blitz% at over 45%.  It’s the reason they beat us last season.  Our offense couldn’t deal with the pressure and was inept.  

Josh has been one the best, if not the best, QB in dealing with the blitz this season. He has made the opposition pay when they bring extra rushers all season.  

Unfortunately for us, the ravens are loaded at cornerback.  Humphrey, Peters and Smith are the most physical CB group in the league.  How does that matchup vs the smaller and quicker WRs that we employ?  Will they be able to disrupt their routes at the LOS and throw off the timing while the blitzers bear down?  Will Martindale be able to confuse JA and force him into bad decisions?  Has Josh improved enough where he can decipher what the ravens are doing?  Can Daboll put together the proper game plan to beat the blitz?  

IMO- we win if we score 27+ and we’ll only do that if we can have success vs the blitz.  

Good thing Josh Allen is amazing vs. the blitz

• Like (+1) 1

The Browns put up 42 on this defense in week 14. Jarvis Landry had a huge day and Baker made a ton of throws off schedule and out of the pocket. I think there's reason to believe that Josh and our WR corp can have success. 

Of course, the Ravens put up 45 in this game, even with Lamar taking a 10 minute bathroom break. I think our D is better than Cleveland's but who knows. This game could be wild. 

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Couldn't agree more, OP. I am heartened that given the relatively close margin of loss last time on the field for these 2 teams, if Josh can hit even just a few more of the shots that were missed against the blitz last time, it could be enough to get us the W this time around. Sal on the morning show yesterday identified 3-4 plays that could've been huge chunk plays if not TD's, in the last game that were just barely missed while Josh was operating under pressure against man coverage. Josh has definitely shown such substantial strides this season under similar pressure circumstances (i.e., Steelers), we should expect such timely completions!   

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, NewEra said:

So was Miami and the Rams.  How did that work for them?

20 minutes ago, MPL said:

The Browns put up 42 on this defense in week 14. Jarvis Landry had a huge day and Baker made a ton of throws off schedule and out of the pocket. I think there's reason to believe that Josh and our WR corp can have success. 

Of course, the Ravens put up 45 in this game, even with Lamar taking a 10 minute bathroom break. I think our D is better than Cleveland's but who knows. This game could be wild. 

Two of Baltimore's CBs were injured in that game which may account for some of that second half scoring.

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

So was Miami and the Rams.  How did that work for them?

Like I said....if we have success vs their blitz, we win.  If not, we’re in trouble.  Last I knew,  having success vs the Rams and Dolphins doesn’t equate to anything vs the ravens this week.  

I don't care what the reports are of the Ravens D-coordinator saying they won't stop blitzing... They will not run the same game plan vs Josh Allen. It's hilarious IMO that they think announcing their defensive gameplan strategy will trick the Bills coaching staff into believing they're telling the truth.

Ravens are screwed in this game IMO.

Everyone keeps talking about stopping Lamar but we can't forget that the Ravens are loaded at RB and number 1 in the NFL in rushing.  My prediction is that we need to keep their TDs to a minimum and force them into FGs.  I predict that Josh will have 4 TDs plus Bass with mulitple FGs.  We didn't do so good with field position last week but I feel we will win the field position this week.  My prediction is that we will put up 40+ points and keep them to around 28 - 32 points.  

Then the Browns to upset KC for the AFC championship to go through Buffalo!

Lets Go Buffalo!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

Hopefully Daboll has some things cooked up with Beasley, McKenzie, and Brown that exploits their aggressiveness. Quick hitches, slants, outs, crossers, WR screens, plays where we get the football out to our shifty guys and let them get some YAC. Diggs is gonna be Diggs and get his, but the other guys will have to step up this game as well. Yes, Humphrey and Peters are good players, but this is why we need to exploit those 3rd and 4th matchups throughout the game. Knox also needs to exploit the seams and make sure he catches every ball that hits his hands. Honestly, I like how our offense matches up with their defense. Josh missed some throws last year against them that he's been consistently hitting this year. I'm expecting some fireworks from our offense on Saturday night. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Like I said....if we have success vs their blitz, we win.  If not, we’re in trouble.  Last I knew,  having success vs the Rams and Dolphins doesn’t equate to anything vs the ravens this week.  

It doesn't, but Allen has destroyed teams that blitzed and played man coverage the entire year. 

Miami and Baltimore do a lot of the same things in terms of blitzing and playing man with good corners and had similar success at preventing teams from scoring. Ravens would have finished 2nd in scoring defense if Bills didn't hang 56 on Dolphins week 17. 

Why would we expect that to change this week?

Colts didn't try it often but on the one play they came after him he threw a 35 TD to Diggs.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Two of Baltimore's CBs were injured in that game which may account for some of that second half scoring.

That accounted for a lot of the scoring.  The ravens d couldn't get off the field in the 4th qtr and had ZERO sacks for the game and Hunt led their team in catches iirc.  Motor, Yeldon/williams should be busy catching the ball out of the backfield 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It doesn't, but Allen has destroyed teams that blitzed and played man coverage the entire year. 

Miami and Baltimore do a lot of the same things in terms of blitzing and playing man with good corners and had similar success at preventing teams from scoring. Ravens would have finished 2nd in scoring defense if Bills didn't hang 56 on Dolphins week 17. 

Why would we expect that to change this week?

Colts didn't try it often but on the one play they came after him he threw a 35 TD to Diggs.

Pressure on a big stage, wind, precipitation, missing throws, dropping passes, Josh being confused by the pre snap looks, good defensive plays.  

it’s a football game.  Anything can happen.  You’re acting like it’s an automatic that our offense replicates what it’s done in the past. It’s not that simple.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

The ravens are a cocky/confident bunch I don't expect them to change

The DC said as much...he said that is just who they are and Allen knows what to expect.  Mahomes smoked them for 395 and 4 TDs...

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Pressure on a big stage, wind, precipitation, missing throws, dropping passes, Josh being confused by the pre snap looks, good defensive plays.  

it’s a football game.  Anything can happen.  You’re acting like it’s an automatic that our offense replicates what it’s done in the past. It’s not that simple.

It never is automatic but I like our chances. They may fool him for a few series but once they have the answers they will be giving up a lot of points if they keep trying it.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1