Daboll getting play calls in quickly

TroutDog

Interesting take from E. Wood today on OBL (can’t share a link as the ‘snippets’ aren’t posted as of yet). If you go to the entire show, he’s in the latter half of hour two. 

Eric stated how impressed he was in the fact that Daboll gets plays in so quickly compared to Greg Roman (whom he played for). He said on the 35 yard TD to Diggs that getting the play call in quickly allowed for Josh to check out and then back into the scoring play as they were given the time to do so. He further commented that, under Roman, they were getting to the line with nine or so seconds left on the play clock. Which removed this opportunity. 

I found this to be very interesting and one of the ‘soft skills’ many of us don’t realize. Seems like a very fine line between going hurry-up while also maintaining the leverage the QB needs to read the D. 

He also shared valuable info about how Roman calls games and his players calls pre-snap. 

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Interesting take from E. Wood today on OBL (can’t share a link as the ‘snippets’ aren’t posted as of yet). If you go to the entire show, he’s in the latter half of hour two. 

Eric stated how impressed he was in the fact that Daboll gets plays in so quickly compared to Greg Roman (whom he played for). He said on the 35 yard TD to Diggs that getting the play call in quickly allowed for Josh to check out and then back into the scoring play as they were given the time to do so. He further commented that, under Roman, they were getting to the line with nine or so seconds left on the play clock. Which removed this opportunity. 

I found this to be very interesting and one of the ‘soft skills’ many of us don’t realize. Seems like a very fine line between going hurry-up while also maintaining the leverage the QB needs to read the D. 

He also shared valuable info about how Roman calls games and his players calls pre-snap. 

Always possible G-Ro may have changed his spots over the intervening years.....

I think initially with Daboll, getting plays in quickly was a problem.  As I recall, one of the changes made after the NE game last year was to put Daboll in the box in the hope that being able to see the "whole picture" of the D would help him react and call plays more quickly.

• Like (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think initially with Daboll, getting plays in quickly was a problem.  As I recall, one of the changes made after the NE game last year was to put Daboll in the box in the hope that being able to see the "whole picture" of the D would help him react and call plays more quickly.

You’re correct and I think that paints a picture of the entire coaching staff growing and recognizing areas of improvement. Initially they wanted Daboll on the field to interact with Josh and then recognized it was time to take the next step.

At any rate, one of the things Woods explains is Roman’s philosophy and how there are only so many ways to change it. Worth a listen, in my opinion. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

As I recall, one of the changes made after the NE game last year was to put Daboll in the box in the hope that being able to see the "whole picture" of the D would help him react and call plays more quickly.

I thought it was so he'd stop yelling at Josh on the sideline. 😉

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I thought it was so he'd stop yelling at Josh on the sideline. 😉

I believe we can neither confirm nor deny that it may or may not have been "brought home" to Daboll that yelling at his player for several minutes relieves his (Daboll's) feelings but is neither necessary nor helpful in order to help his player understand what just went wrong and prepare for the next series.

I think we saw big jumps in the Josh/Daboll relationship after the NE game, and another level-up after the Eagles and Browns games.

At this point though, 1) I don't think Daboll would yell at Josh on the sidelines and 2) if he did, I think Josh would just take it in stride and be like "yeah yeah - this is what I saw, what should I have read there?" and "on to the next play"

It's not just Josh who has developed.  IMO.

15 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

You’re correct and I think that paints a picture of the entire coaching staff growing and recognizing areas of improvement. Initially they wanted Daboll on the field to interact with Josh and then recognized it was time to take the next step.

At any rate, one of the things Woods explains is Roman’s philosophy and how there are only so many ways to change it. Worth a listen, in my opinion. 

Got a linky or anyway, some idea when in the show it is?

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Getting plays in quickly is HUGE. If you're not giving your qb time to get out of bad plays and diagnose what is probably coming, you're failing at your job. It was a huge problem in previous years, especially with Roman. To be fair, Roman is excellent, and maybe that's not a problem in Baltimore. 

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I believe we can neither confirm nor deny that it may or may not have been "brought home" to Daboll that yelling at his player for several minutes relieves his (Daboll's) feelings but is neither necessary nor helpful in order to help his player understand what just went wrong and prepare for the next series.

I think we saw big jumps in the Josh/Daboll relationship after the NE game, and another level-up after the Eagles and Browns games.

At this point though, 1) I don't think Daboll would yell at Josh on the sidelines and 2) if he did, I think Josh would just take it in stride and be like "yeah yeah - this is what I saw, what should I have read there?" and "on to the next play"

It takes time to be deprogrammed from Belichick martinet-hood.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The only link at this point is to the entire show. If you go to the Bills app, website or YouTube, it is in the latter half of hour two, as stated in the OP. 

20 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Getting plays in quickly is HUGE. If you're not giving your qb time to get out of bad plays and diagnose what is probably coming, you're failing at your job. It was a huge problem in previous years, especially with Roman. To be fair, Roman is excellent, and maybe that's not a problem in Baltimore

I agree and that’s why I thought it was thread-worthy...coupled with Woods’ understanding of Roman. 

It allows what has been discussed previously along with Daboll staying in Josh’s ear for a few seconds while at the line as Josh can continue to hear him until fifteen seconds remain, if I’m not mistaken. 

26 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If Lamar doesn't like the play he just runs away from everyone. That's his check down. 

True...and much ‘easier’ to scheme against a’la when the Bills played them last year while still dealing with an up and coming QB. The Bills set the bar against him last year, hands down. 

• Like (+1) 1

There did seem to be a big jump in the offense's performance once Daboll moved off the sidelines and into the coaches boxes last year.  If Daboll becomes a head coach it will be back down to the sidelines again.  That could impact his ability to execute an offense if he is going to be the play caller.  It will definitely be an adjustment for him.   He seems to call a better game with that bird'e eye view of the field and defense.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It also appeared that Daboll was a little hot headed and this cooled him down a bit.

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Getting plays in quickly is HUGE. If you're not giving your qb time to get out of bad plays and diagnose what is probably coming, you're failing at your job. It was a huge problem in previous years, especially with Roman. To be fair, Roman is excellent, and maybe that's not a problem in Baltimore.  

Maybe it is not so necessary to be fast with QB in Baltimore who does not diagnose defenses as much.

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Maybe it is not so necessary to be fast with QB in Baltimore who does not diagnose defenses as much.

Lamar Jackson is one of the ten best players in the NFL. There’s a lot of inexplicable contempt for him on this board, which I don’t get. His numbers are amazing (36 td passes and 6 INTs and over 1200 rushing yards in 2019), and he’s 32-9 as a starter in the regular season. He deserves a LOT more respect from us, and if I hear another Bills fan (not you!) make fun of his accent, I’ll scream.

• Like (+1) 2

Consistent with what we observed of Roman here - the night game that turned out to be his last game was chaos on the sideline, plays were coming in at the last second after Tyrod and the rest of the offense were gesturing frantically at the sideline for the calls.  Seemed like Ty then went off-script and started calling receiver streaks which - amazingly - worked for the first time in Ty’s career here.  Not having plays may actually have helped Tyrod.

Anyhow it was clear chaos despite the offensive explosion and Roman was fired the next day.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

There did seem to be a big jump in the offense's performance once Daboll moved off the sidelines and into the coaches boxes last year.  If Daboll becomes a head coach it will be back down to the sidelines again.  That could impact his ability to execute an offense if he is going to be the play caller.  It will definitely be an adjustment for him.   He seems to call a better game with that bird'e eye view of the field and defense.

Whomever he chooses as OC he can teach to match what he’s doing now...and demand it. 

45 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It also appeared that Daboll was a little hot headed and this cooled him down a bit.

I suspect that is maturation under McD. Completely guessing but I’d be willing to put $5 on it (I am NOT a gambler when it comes to cash 😃). 

I saw this segment.  I LOL'd at "...not to dump on my coaches or anything, but we'd get to the LOS with 9 seconds on the play clock..."

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Look about two hours in, should be in the Audio Vault at wgr550.com.

Edited by Freddie's Dead