Milano should have been benched

Back2Buff

3 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I think this only works if the QB has all day to let that late arriving receiver come across the field and into that vacated zone sans coverage hand-off. Rivers had all day, so probably the best adjustment we could make is to do a better job pressuring the next QB and forcing him to get rid of it earlier.

We have done similar plays ourselves when Allen has had (or bought more) time; bringing receivers out of the slot or bunch on the right all the way across to the deep left after clearing out that zone and taking advantage of a miscommunication on the coverage hand-off.

Also, you are right. If we can't get to the opposing QB we have to be a lot tighter and more disciplined in zone, but hard to expect db's, linebackers, and safeties to hold coverage that long.

Here's hoping we have a better defensive plan against the Ravens that does not rely on the Ravens imploding on our doorstep over and over after marching down the field virtually unimpeded :)

My impression was we couldn’t get to Rivers because he was getting the ball out very quickly most of the time.

Well, that and an officiating crew that said ‘see no evil’ to holding

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My impression was we couldn’t get to Rivers because he was getting the ball out very quickly most of the time.

That's what I saw too. Although somebody told me in the game thread I was wrong.

I think I saw something where Rivers ended up averaging just under 2.5sec getting the ball out in that game.

Nobody is beating that Oline in 2 seconds.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Simon said:

We already have one in Oliver; unfortunately he's being supported by four guys who are fringe NFL players at what is arguably the most important position on the defense. I had some hope for Butler but he's maddeningly inconsistent; Jefferson, Phillips and Zimmer are just getting buried out there.

I think rebuilding the DT rotation should be the Bills #1 priority this offseason and I would prefer they do it with veterans because NFL windows can be very limited and I want to see them take a run at a championship next year.

Simon, Oliver has not shown to me hes that IT guy but maybe thats me.. Great players don't need a over powering supporting cast.  He has to many hot/cold games for my liking.

1 minute ago, Simon said:

That's what I saw too. Although somebody told me in the game thread I was wrong.

I think I saw something where Rivers ended up averaging just under 2.5sec getting the ball out in that game.

Nobody is beating that Oline in 2 seconds.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is a valid point. I just need our Line to be better

Just now, PrimeTime101 said:

Simon, Oliver has not shown to me hes that IT guy but maybe thats me.. Great players don't need a over powering supporting cast.  He has to many hot/cold games for my liking.

I think he's good every week (or has been since he recovered from that early season knee injury).

The problem is he can't control 4 gaps by himself.

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The holding non-calls seem to be the norm this year as holding penalties are way down across the board. I think it is a purposeful shift by the NFL competition committee to improve game flow with less flag festivals and open up scoring. The early results this season look like it is having the desired impact with a 2000 yard runner and all the QBs lighting up team record books.

I did watch a clip that I cannot find now that said that Rivers had no pressure in the pocket on over 80% of his drop backs. Either their line is that good, or we are just that bad - but usually the truth is in the middle. They did have some ball-control concepts in their game plan - milking the clock and following up with quick hitters designed to eek out just a few yards and 1st downs.

6 hours ago, WideNine said:

This. I think it is something Indy saw on film on how to confuse our zone - they ran a guy just to the middle of that corner zone to clear out the DB responsible for that zone, then ran another receiver into the vacated zone. That was not on Milano, just a well-designed play reminiscent of many that Daboll draws up for our receivers vs zone.

Personally thought we needed to shift into more cover-0 with maybe just one safety over top and bring more heat on Rivers. He beat our blitzes a few times, but scuttling back into the zone defense they were eating up did not feel like the right answer.

It is interesting in regards to our two primary starting LB's. PFF (I know, but hard to think there is a lot of bias here) has Tremaine as 52nd best LB in the league and Milano as 59th. I have heard the age discussion for Edmunds but honestly there are plenty of LBs ranked before him that are 22 years old like he is. Dodson is actually ranked higher than both... so interesting.

It also should give Beane an idea of where they fit on the contract scale.

PFF's scale is cumulative. In other words, it greatly punishes guys who play half the season injured or miss a bunch of time early. Both are a lot better than they're ranked there.

Both are playing well when healthy, though there's some up and down as with everyone. 

And while the D-line has stepped up, the LBs do miss Lotulelei on run downs. Particularly against physical OLs and run games like the Colts and the Ravens. The Bills have to scheme more to stop the run, which leaves them more vulnerable against the pass.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Personally, I think the Bills should draft defense heavy in this draft. LB/DL/TE/DB

OL early, please.

If they can keep both Daryl Williams and Feliciano that will slip down the priority list, but I doubt they can keep both, especially as I think Milano is an even higher priority than either of those two. 

We'll see, I guess.

2 hours ago, Simon said:

I think he's good every week (or has been since he recovered from that early season knee injury).

The problem is he can't control 4 gaps by himself.

You're talking about Oliver here, right? Yeah, agreed, that's the way it looks to me too. He's playing very well, I think.

Edited by Thurman#1

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We spent the entire first half on offense living deep in the opponents red zone eg within spitting distance of our own goal line.  Meanwhile we allowed them two drive starts within 9 yds of our territory.  If we’re looking for things to fix, Special teams is near the top of my list.  Kudos to Bass for the FG and XP game though

Agreed the field position was horrendous early. Looked to me to be much more the fault of the defense for bending like crazy and the offense for going three and out a lot early. Two TDs but other than that it was three and outs.

You must have been watching a different game:

"Linebackers (4.0): Milano was the star, but Tremaine Edmunds had a strong game, too. He had three run-stuffs among his nine tackles and two pass break ups. The Colts’ star center, Ryan Kelly, got 12 yards downfield to block up Edmunds on the 33-yard run by Hines. The Bills blitzed Rivers on 13 of 43 dropbacks, and the timing was good. Rivers was 8 of 13 for 118 yards against the blitz, but just 4 of 8 in the second half."

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/10/2021 at 8:04 AM, BillnutinHouston said:

Regarding Milano not staying with his man in coverage, are you referring to the play where Milano passed off his guy to Tre as per the design of the defense, but Tre mistakenly went in the wrong direction?

I was so surprised by that too. It’s not the kind of mistake I’d think Tre would make, but he did and I also noted it at the time. 

Milestones reached

In his second career playoff game, Matt Milano had a team-high 11 total tackles. Along with 12 total tackles in last year's playoff game at Hou. (1/4/20), he became the fourth Bill since 1974 with 10+ tackles in back-to-back playoff games. He joins Cornelius Bennett (3-game streak between 1/30/94 and 1/6/96), Darryl Talley (1/15/94 & 1/23/94), and Shane Conlan (1/6/90 and 1/12/91) in Bills history.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-today-bills-reached-these-five-milestones-in-their-playoff-victory

For those who don't know ...  a Milestone is an achievement.

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Couldn't help but notice in the CLE-PIT boxscore that Mayfield and Roethlisberger dropped back a combined 102 times and neither were sacked.  Mayfield was hit 4 times and Ben had zero.  That's incredible. 

and both of those teams have legit pass rushers.

it just shows how bs that comment the dude from the nfl made during our game was, that they don't call it different in the playoffs.

they called it so so different, just put the whistles away.

also, aside from when our d got just trucked in two consecutive drives for 75 yard TDs with like 5 min total take off the clock (i know i know) they were actually good.

i really think the colts played great on those two drives, and found something wrong with us schematically (along w some misses by the d).  because we lost all momentum after the O had to punt after the terrible allen sack and fumble, but then the D got a fumble, got robbed, and still shut these guys down.

maybe im being a homer, but i think the film room is the key to our D getting itself in order

I'd still ride or die with Milano. Not faulting him for the 4th quarter TD either. Someone missed an assignment, maybe Milano, but Milano was clearly expecting Tre or a safety on that route, and that's a tough ask for him to cover that whole side of the field.. I doubt that was the playcall. I also thought that should-be forced fumble at the end was clutch.

Sounds like the consensus is he had an off day. Even so, he's such a playmaker at his position I wouldn't consider benching him at any point myself. Case in point him coming up with that forced fumble. Always been a fan.

FTR I even thought he played well. IMO. I always get surprised to see posts every few games knocking him. He's so consistent.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1