Colts Defense almost an exact replica of the 49ers D in terms of Defensive DVOA...

Big Turk

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The Bills gave everyone the blueprint...Bills held Ravens to well under 300 yards of offense and 24 points when they were trucking people.

The difference is that Allen is an elite QB throwing the ball and Lamar isn't and likely never will be.

I appreciate that hometown narrative in a moral victory... but did San Francisco know about that blueprint the week before when they held them to 20?  Or maybe cinci and Az got a hold of it even sooner to keep them under 24?

My point is everyone looks unstoppable until they aren’t. The o line has been extremely good since mongo got back, but pass rushes tend to amp up just a bit more in the playoffs.  All of these teams are good and the Bills will need to continue 3 phase elite execution. 

53 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

appreciate that hometown narrative in a moral victory... but did San Francisco know about that blueprint the week before when they held them to 20?  Or maybe cinci and Az got a hold of it even sooner to keep them under 24?

He’s paraphrasing what the Titans defenders said after they beat Baltimore. 

Titans players came out and said Buffalo gave them the blueprint to beat the Ravens.   It’s not a moral victory, it’s directly from the team’s mouth. 

EDIT:

“We wanted to give him loaded boxes all night to get him out of the game. We were either playing a loaded box and man to man and make him beat us throwing the ball outside mano-a-mano, or we were going to play a quarters defense similar to what Buffalo did. And Buffalo played them well. Buffalo just didn’t score a lot of points on offense.“ - Logan Ryan

Edited by JGMcD2

27 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

He’s paraphrasing what the Titans defenders said after they beat Baltimore. 

Titans players came out and said Buffalo gave them the blueprint to beat the Ravens.   It’s not a moral victory, it’s directly from the team’s mouth. 

EDIT:

“We wanted to give him loaded boxes all night to get him out of the game. We were either playing a loaded box and man to man and make him beat us throwing the ball outside mano-a-mano, or we were going to play a quarters defense similar to what Buffalo did. And Buffalo played them well. Buffalo just didn’t score a lot of points on offense.“ - Logan Ryan

‘similar to what another team did’ isn’t exactly a ‘blueprint’.  And they stated they Mixed buffalo like Quarters scheme with man outside and a loaded box, which is closer to patriots look. 

It’s obvious the Bills defense is schematically solid, especially up the middle due to personnel but they don’t really change in up all that much week to week, they just happened to match up well (almost) because they cover the middle of the felid well and Lamar. 

Buffalo isn’t the first team to realize Lamar is weak outside the Hashes... I mean their Own personnel grouping emphatically declare it. 

10 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

‘similar to what another team did’ isn’t exactly a ‘blueprint’.  And they stated they Mixed buffalo like Quarters scheme with man outside and a loaded box, which is closer to patriots look. 

It’s obvious the Bills defense is schematically solid, especially up the middle due to personnel but they don’t really change in up all that much week to week, they just happened to match up well (almost) because they cover the middle of the felid well and Lamar. 

Buffalo isn’t the first team to realize Lamar is weak outside the Hashes... I mean their Own personnel grouping emphatically declare it. 

There were a few articles written that specifically used the word blueprint, I’m guessing that’s where it’s coming from. 

They held Baltimore to their lowest total yards all year and Lamar had his worst rushing performance of the season. Ironically it was an uncharacteristic blown coverage against Hayden Hurst that probably cost them the game. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

There were a few articles written that specifically used the word blueprint, I’m guessing that’s where it’s coming from. 

They held Baltimore to their lowest total yards all year and Lamar had his worst rushing performance of the season. Ironically it was an uncharacteristic blown coverage against Hayden Hurst that probably cost them the game. 

yeah - Poyer.... was such a brutal dagger... 

if I recall that game the scheme was all well and good but Hughes and Tremaine and maybe even Zo played out of their minds. 

but so fine.... unbeatable offensive juggernaut runs into ‘blueprint’ to beat them and all he sudden they are beatable. 

That was sort of the idea anyway I suppose

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The Colts were the best matchup out of the 3 wildcard teams. I don't trust Rivers esp in bad weather, the Colts ground game with Taylor is good but it isn't as lethal as the Ravens or Browns, and the Colts defense is suspect in the passing attack. It would be a major disappointment if this game wasn't a comfortable 2 possession lead late.

Weather won't be bad, just chilly.  29 and partly cloudy with 5-10 mph winds

3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The Ravens rolled into the playoffs hot and all full of themselves as a number two seed last year and the Titans kicked their teeth in after beating the Pats. 

The Bills can win against anyone but they better get to work, not listen to all the hype, and make sure all their interview candidates stay focused. 

The Bills are both humble and hungry. They remember that 16-0 lead against the Texans last year and how it evaporated before their very eyes. If you think this team is taking anyone lightly or going into this game thinking it's in the bag then you are mistaken my friend. They are on a mission right now and that mission didn't stop with winning the division or locking up the #2 seed in the AFC. "Won Not Done"  :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, H2o said:

The Bills are both humble and hungry. They remember that 16-0 lead against the Texans last year and how it evaporated before their very eyes. If you think this team is taking anyone lightly or going into this game thinking it's in the bag then you are mistaken my friend. They are on a mission right now and that mission didn't stop with winning the division or locking up the #2 seed in the AFC. "Won Not Done"  :thumbsup:

I want to believe this, but man there is a lot of baggage going on here. 

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

And once that avalanche starts its hard to stop it. Bills seem to literally score at will once they start scoring.

It occurred to me watching the last few games (SF, Pitt, Miami) that teams manage to do something a little different that slows down the Bills. The difference between this year and last year is how quickly Daboll & Allen diagnose and find the exploit to whatever it is they are doing. To use a very geeky reference, this year it's like the Borg adapting their shield modulation. You get a few shots in and then they solve it within a series or two, and then what? You just spent a week coming up with a plan to stop this offense (Insert Mike Tyson quote here).

The reason you draft and develop a QB as gifted as Allen is, as another poster noted, he forces the opposing defense to defend every green blade of grass on the field. That's why KC and GB do what they do; they can attack from anywhere to anywhere. Short, long, middle of the field, outside the numbers. The physical gifts of the QB allow a proper scheme to attack any defense successfully in some way.

The more I watch the Bills operate, the more I come to the same conclusion.

They simply run the scramble drill better than anyone, and a t a level that it is extremely difficult to defend.

It isn't that complicated. 

They run four or five man patterns. If the initial throw is open, Josh throws it. It often isn't.

Running four or five man sets means Josh may have to escape one or more guys. Not enough blockers.

He almost always does, if its only one guy.

And the scramble drill begins.

Our receivers now have the entire field to find a hole, as any zone or man responsibilities are broken down, (and by now, and its all man), and it is often the sideline.

Josh, (and this ridiculous "not accurate" thing folds), can put the ball in a mailbox for 25 yards on the sideline, less successful in the middle, but certainly has the ability to throw across the field.

I love what Daboll calls, but the strength of our offense is in Josh's ability to avoid the first pass rusher, which allows us to send one more receiver into the money zone, and run the scramble drill time and time again, and his ability make any throw.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, sherpa said:

The more I watch the Bills operate, the more I come to the same conclusion.

They simply run the scramble drill better than anyone, and a t a level that it is extremely difficult to defend.

It isn't that complicated. 

They run four or five man patterns. If the initial throw is open, Josh throws it. It often isn't.

Running four or five man sets means Josh may have to escape one or more guys. Not enough blockers.

He almost always does, if its only one guy.

And the scramble drill begins.

Our receivers now have the entire field to find a hole, as any zone or man responsibilities are broken down, (and by now, and its all man), and it is often the sideline.

Josh, (and this ridiculous "not accurate" thing folds), can put the ball in a mailbox for 25 yards on the sideline, less successful in the middle, but certainly has the ability to throw across the field.

I love what Daboll calls, but the strength of our offense is in Josh's ability to avoid the first pass rusher, which allows us to send one more receiver into the money zone, and run the scramble drill time and time again, and his ability make any throw.

Allen's ability to move in the pocket and avoid pressure and then take off when needed is a thing of beauty to watch...he seems to have a 6th sense in regards to pocket awareness

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I want to believe this, but man there is a lot of baggage going on here. 

BBFS, most of us have suffered from it at times. I'll be the first to admit I have. This season has really expelled all of those thoughts. After the Arizona game I expected us to fade. That is the type of thing that would normally kill our year. Instead we run off 6 straight victories, our defense jumps like 12 spots overall in that time, and Josh plays himself into the upper echelon of the MVP conversation. This team got better every week. They showed out in all 4 nationally televised games. Their last 3 games they win by 29, 29, and 30 points. Sunday they went INT, punt, punt on the first 3 possessions, and STILL put up 28 before halftime against the #1 scoring defense in the NFL. Even the backups shredded that Miami team. This is not the Bills of the past quarter century. These guys want to win for each other, they want to win for the coaches, they want to win for the fans, and the city of Buffalo as a whole. This is a team environment and vibe I haven't felt around a Bills squad in my lifetime. Even the 90's Bills, who were absolutely great, didn't have this type of energy around them. I don't think it will be easy per say, but I believe this team is different and I have complete confidence in them right now. 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is a very similar defense. Good front, although lacking some burst off the edge, great middle linebacker, very average secondary.

I think we might see a repeat of the Seattle and Denver games where Allen drops back and throws almost all first half and we barely run the ball.

Edited by Big Turk