MMQB on Josh Allen's development

HappyDays

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I still think that during the regular season, I don't recall him mentioning Palmer .. only those on the Bills staff.  During the offseason, yes ... I do remember him talking about Palmer quite a bit.

Might be right, but it's simple logic.  In-Season, he's working with the Bills coaches/players etc. Off-Season, it's with Palmer.

One thing does seem clear, is that he recognises that others have just as important a part to play in his continuous development, as he himself does.

Fwiw, whoever was talking about Allen himself not getting enough credit for his improvement, I think you will find that if you talk to the people he himself talks about, then they will likely be effusive in their praise for his work ethic and willingness to learn and put things into practise. I'm pretty certain there will be stuff around the tinternet that already has those types of plaudits.

• Like (+1) 1

We had a timeout right before, and I said [to Dorsey], I really like this play—let’s call this,” Allen said. “And I know it’s first-and-goal from the 30, but I was telling the guys, ‘We’re still gonna score; let’s not freak out.’ Coach Daboll trusted me with the play-call, I followed the quarter safety, he was trying to push over, but right at the snap, I saw him stop his feet and we had enough time, and [Jake] Kumerow ran the right route and made a heck of a catch.”

I wonder if this is when they showed Josh point up towards the coaches box?

He literally has the potential to have the best in the league.  And the arm talent and athletic ability to be one of the best ever.   And the way he seems to be getting it...he may just end up with a jacket.  

His feel on the pocket is a combination of Aaron Rodgers and Brady.  His arm is nearly unprecedented. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Not only that, but to trust a guy like Kumerow will be in the right spot and make that play is amazing.  That was not Diggs or Beasley that he has been with all off season  or even a guy like Davis that has been on the team since the off season.  This was a late addition to the PS - that got called up to play special teams and yet Allen put the ball perfectly on him like they have run that play a thousand times.

Good for both of them - that was impressive to me.

Good point.

Gotta say - that was perhaps Josh's prettiest pass to date, imo.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Why is it that of all the QBs that work with Palmer in the offseason, Allen is the only one who has shown this type of skyrocketing growth??  I mean Darnold and Lock are both part of the group too...

Just shows how much harder Allen is willing to work than some of the others...there is working hard and then there is becoming obsessed...Allen is obsessed...

Also doesn't hurt he is extremely physically gifted.

That is a good question.  Given his massive improvement, and the extreme negatives that so many "experts" had on him, I am going to assume that Josh grew up as a great athlete, who never really had good coaching.  Take Justin Herbert.  To my (admitedly amateur) eye, Herbert isn't far off from Josh, as a rookie.  One went to a Pac-12 school, known for its' high-tech passing game.  The other went to a Mountain West School, a notch below. Herbert was a  coveted high school prospect.  Josh was not. It is very possible that Allen, with all of his incredible raw talent, never had any type of coaching to really give any structure to all that talent.  Buffalo might be his first real exposure to real QB coaching.

• Thank you (+1) 1

More so, this all feels, like Allen alluded to, like the Bills just starting to realize their considerable potential—with a roster young and loaded that only figures to keep improving, as long as Beane and McDermott can keep the core of young stars together, something that they started working on earlier this year with extensions for left tackle Dion Dawkins and corner Tre’Davious White. Allen, of course, will be among the first guys they approach on that front this season.

Jordan Poyer's extension has been important this year. Many of the key defense players have been injured with him

Entering the final year of his contract in 2020, the Bills made sure to keep Jordan Poyer on the roster for the foreseeable future signing the safety to a two-year contract extension. The agreement will keep Poyer on Buffalo's roster through the 2022 season.

Provided by Pro-Football-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 12/21/2020.

Game Game Def Def Def Def Def Fumb Fumb Fumb Fumb Fumb   Tack Tack Tack Tack Tack    
Year No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Comb Solo Ast TFL QBHits Sfty AV

2017 21 15 15 5 33 1 19 13 0 0 1 32 0 2.0 95 63 32 4 2   5
2018 21 16 16 4 11 0 11 6 1 0 1 0 0 2.0 100 73 27 9 3   8
2019 21 16 16 2 0 0 0 3 3 0 3 0 0 1.0 107 71 36 4 1   8
2020 21 14 14 2 14 0 14 5 2 0 0 0 0 2.0 117 85 32 4 4  
Edited by Limeaid

9 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I don't think we even realize just how far and how fast Allen is improving on a near weekly basis...

Agreed 100%

That is next level QB'ing. That is like Aaron Rodgers type stuff. It is just stunning not only how fast Allen has reached this level from where he was at but just how much further he can go. 

How about when he calls the penalty during the actual play & then completes a ball underneath for whatever is there? (when Diggs got assaulted in AZ vs SF)

Never seen anything like that before.

Just like when he draws them Offside with his cadence and then tries to throw deep like Rodgers does on a free play...either try and get a free completion or a DPI and get a 40 yard penalty instead of a 5 yard one...next level.

His hardcount/cadence command is amazing, & his pocket presence and awareness is simply out of this world - I've never seen anything like it.

And then you have to wrestle him down to sack him! (see Bosa, Joey)

Allen has progressed to this point so fast and from so far away it's hard not to just be giddy to think about the possibilities for the next 10 or 15 years.

There is no law or limit that says he's better than we thought, so that's where it all ends.

Josh will likely get better & better over time, given the way he works at it.

Mind = blown!

No wonder Jim Kelly is already like, "My records are not even worthy!"

Buckle up! It's going to be a fun ride from here!

1 hour ago, Buftex said:

I am going to assume that Josh grew up as a great athlete, who never really had good coaching.  Take Justin Herbert.  To my (admitedly amateur) eye, Herbert isn't far off from Josh, as a rookie.  One went to a Pac-12 school, known for its' high-tech passing game.  The other went to a Mountain West School, a notch below. Herbert was a  coveted high school prospect.  Josh was not. It is very possible that Allen, with all of his incredible raw talent, never had any type of coaching to really give any structure to all that talent.  Buffalo might be his first real exposure to real QB coaching.

I think we're past assumptions and possibilities, no? I thought it was well established that the draft process+Buffalo was Josh's first sustained exposure to top flight QB coaching. 

31 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I think we're past assumptions and possibilities, no? I thought it was well established that the draft process+Buffalo was Josh's first sustained exposure to top flight QB coaching. 

Just trying to answer the man's question.

15 hours ago, Mat68 said:

I dont think Josh Allen gets the credit he deserves for improving Josh Allen.  You can take a horse to water, sort of speak.  He trains beside Darnold.  He plays for an offensive Guru who was fired from that position multiple times.  Allen top 2 targets Buffalo was mocked for over paying Beasley.  Laughed at for over paying for Diggs.  I mean Diggs wasnt that productive wih Cousins.  Now no Thelian good luck.  

My point is great players and Qbs make people around them better.  Jordan Palmer and Tony Romo fixed Allens motion.  Daboll is a Qb whisperer.  Beasly is the best slot guy in the league.  Diggs is one of the best wrs.  The common denominator with all these is Allen.  Allen put the work in and he is balling.

I agree with everything!... save the Bolded. 

While I think that Brian Daboll has grown into a top NFL game planner, play caller and will probably end up as some teams head coach after this season. A whisperer means he is a "special trainer", someone with gentle vocal encouragement. That is not Daboll, who, before he went up in the booth used to yell at Allen. Let's not also forget that while Josh didn't have a veteran QB at his start in Buffalo, nor an actual QB coach. Daboll went with Nathan Peterman over Allen that first game. 

Then, looking back Daboll called plays like he had an experienced, veteran QB behind center form day one. Peterman simply didn't have the arm to complete some of those outs that were called. Allen was getting killed that first season behind such a bad line and meanwhile the Bills led the league in deep pass attempts...with that horrid line that didn't allow deep drop backs. Once Daboll saw how well Allen could run once the pocket broke down he put in some designed QB runs. 

Don't get me wrong here as I think Brian Daboll is currently doing great as Bills OC. As for developing Josh Allen, I feel that Allen himself, Jordan Palmer, Romo and even current QB coach Ken Dorsey have done far more for what we all see from Allen on the field this season. 

Oh, and Diggs is THE best receiver in the NFL... he makes opposing DB's look foolish every week. Jukes them outta their cleats almost every play. Just think if Allen didn't have Brown, Beasley, Knox, Davis, Singletary, McKenzie to throw to Diggs might have even more receptions 111 for 1314 yards with two games to go. My lord this is one special player. 

I am surprised how much credit people are giving to Tony Romo for Allen's development when he had a 10 minute conversation with him.   But the same people are deriding Daboll's contribution in spite of Brian spending hours every day with his QB !!!!!