AFC QB's vs. NFC QB's

It is pretty crazy.  The AFC is currently loaded with young, talented QB's compared to the NFC. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for the NFC to catch up to the AFC, once the "old guard" QB's retire. Brady, Brees, Ryan, Stafford, Rodgers, (Wilson?) are all on the back 9, while guys like Allen, Mahomes, Jackson, Watson, Burrow, Tua, Mayfield, Herbert, (Lock?) are just teeing of on the first couple of holes.  (Not to mention Lawrence and Fields both coming soon to the Jets and Jags). 

I know there are some exceptions, like Roethlisberger and Rivers in the AFC and Murray in the NFC, but generally, there are way more up and coming QB's in the AFC compared to the NFC. I believe that the AFC will dominate for several years, until this tide turns.  

• Like (+1) 4

I think Jackson and Tua will both be backups in 2-3 years.  And Darnold will likely end up in the NFC and I still believe he's very good.  My guess is that it'll even out and there will be 2-3 legitimately great QBs in each conference when it's all said and done.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think Jackson and Tua will both be backups in 2-3 years.  And Darnold will likely end up in the NFC and I still believe he's very good.  My guess is that it'll even out and there will be 2-3 legitimately great QBs in each conference when it's all said and done.

I honestly think it will take a few seasons to even out. I also think Darnold will have a Mark Sanchez type career, but that is a separate conversation.  

• Like (+1) 1

Gugs, I think you’re being a little tough on Lamar and Tua.  Tua’s just getting started, so remember how many flashes coupled with bonehead hero ball mistakes Allen made in his first year.  As far as Lamar, teams are figuring him out, but it’s not like the Ravens stink. They just took a step back and much of the speculation was allowing those TE’s to leave was a bigger mistake than they thought.  I was surprised as they okayed more 13 personnel than anyone in the league when they were 14-2 last year.

As far as the AFC, they definitely have much more promising younger ascending QB’s than the NFC.  For the NFC, I se Kyler continuing to grow, I don’t see Wilson as on the back 9 as he has a lot of good years ahead of him if they fix that defense, Bridgewater is playing a team rebuilding, but that’s about it.  We’ll see what the NFC does in the draft.

I definitely think on a related topic to this that the AFC is a much better conference this year, and the QB’s have a lot to do with it.

• Like (+1) 2

It is cyclical. The NFC has some older QBs. Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, Ryan, Stafford are long entrenched starters that have kept their team out of the QB stakes for a long time. The AFC has had more churn. The best 5 QBs in the NFL this year have been 3 AFC and 2 NFC. Just happens that Rodgers and Wilson are at the older end. 

AFC does look like a bit of a QB gauntlet the next few years. I say good. While obviously I want the Bills to win I also want to see good football. And good football normally requires good Quarterbacking.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillsinChesterSprings said:

Even with the AFC having more young stud QB's, the AFC has collected more top end talent and will be better than the NFC for a number of years.  AFC is loaded with really good teams and teams who are on the cusp of perennial playoff contenders.

It is why it must suck to be a fan of a team like the Raiders. Because the Raiders are decent. They are young, have talent and are reasonably well rounded. But they are not special anywhere. And in this AFC that isn't going to get it done. They need some help in the secondary but even if they can find a top corner they lack those special playmakers that really change games. For a lot of the last decade a solid team like Vegas would have been a playoff team in the AFC. But not the way it is right now.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Gugs, I think you’re being a little tough on Lamar and Tua.  Tua’s just getting started, so remember how many flashes coupled with bonehead hero ball mistakes Allen made in his first year.  As far as Lamar, teams are figuring him out, but it’s not like the Ravens stink. They just took a step back and much of the speculation was allowing those TE’s to leave was a bigger mistake than they thought.  I was surprised as they okayed more 13 personnel than anyone in the league when they were 14-2 last year.

As far as the AFC, they definitely have much more promising younger ascending QB’s than the NFC.  For the NFC, I se Kyler continuing to grow, I don’t see Wilson as on the back 9 as he has a lot of good years ahead of him if they fix that defense, Bridgewater is playing a team rebuilding, but that’s about it.  We’ll see what the NFC does in the draft.

I definitely think on a related topic to this that the AFC is a much better conference this year, and the QB’s have a lot to do with it.

I could see Tua becoming the next Steve Young...both south paws, mobile, with good accuracy...

7 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

It is pretty crazy.  The AFC is currently loaded with young, talented QB's compared to the NFC. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for the NFC to catch up to the AFC, once the "old guard" QB's retire. Brady, Brees, Ryan, Stafford, Rodgers, (Wilson?) are all on the back 9, while guys like Allen, Mahomes, Jackson, Watson, Burrow, Tua, Mayfield, Herbert, (Lock?) are just teeing of on the first couple of holes.  (Not to mention Lawrence and Fields both coming soon to the Jets and Jags). 

I know there are some exceptions, like Roethlisberger and Rivers in the AFC and Murray in the NFC, but generally, there are way more up and coming QB's in the AFC compared to the NFC. I believe that the AFC will dominate for several years, until this tide turns.  

Lock isn't even close to being in this discussion at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I wouldn't mention Lawrence and Fields yet. Let them at least get some NFL action before putting them on this list.

Seems like it switches back and forth.

Just a few years back, the AFC side was still being dominated by old guys like Brady, Big Ben and Rivers, while the top young QBs were Jarod Goff and Carson Wentz.

I imagine within the next couple seasons, some of these NFC teams are going to bottom-out and rise up the draft board.

Teams like the Redskins, Giants and Bears recently drafted QBs that don't really seem to be working out.  There are rumblings that Detroit is looking to move-on from Matthew Stafford.  The Panthers are currently stuck in purgatory.  Brady and Brees could be retiring pretty much anytime.  Etc.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is why it must suck to be a fan of a team like the Raiders. Because the Raiders are decent. They are young, have talent and are reasonably well rounded. But they are not special anywhere. And in this AFC that isn't going to get it done. They need some help in the secondary but even if they can find a top corner they lack those special playmakers that really change games. For a lot of the last decade a solid team like Vegas would have been a playoff team in the AFC. But not the way it is right now.

With all these potential stud QBs in the AFC, it's going to be important to have more than JUST the franchise quarterback.  Teams will need to have strong coaching and a solid/good roster around their QB, or they are going to drift behind the other teams.

A great example is Houston.  Deshaun Watson is absolutely a Top 5 quarterback in the NFL.  But the roster he's surrounded by is pretty awful, and they have now been passed-up in the division by Indianapolis and Tennessee.  Watson is significantly better than Rivers/Tannehill, but he's not good enough to make-up for the lack of talent around him.

Even though Josh Allen's development is key to the Bills success moving forward, we still need to pay attention to how Brandon Beane does with his other draft picks and how he manipulates the salary cap.  Three years in, it does seem like Beane/Sean McDermott had a great plan to not only turn around the talent on the roster, but change the culture around this organization as a whole.  That is going to be vitally important moving forward, because if Tua happens to work out (certainly not a given at this point), it does appear that Miami is also moving in the right direction.

Jets fans are justified in their excitement about Trevor Lawrence.  But if they can't fix the rest of the organization, I'm skeptical that he alone will be enough for them to bypass us or Miami at the top of the division. 

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

With all these potential stud QBs in the AFC, it's going to be important to have more than JUST the franchise quarterback.  Teams will need to have strong coaching and a solid/good roster around their QB, or they are going to drift behind the other teams.

A great example is Houston.  Deshaun Watson is absolutely a Top 5 quarterback in the NFL.  But the roster he's surrounded by is pretty awful, and they have now been passed-up in the division by Indianapolis and Tennessee.  Watson is significantly better than Rivers/Tannehill, but he's not good enough to make-up for the lack of talent around him.

Even though Josh Allen's development is key to the Bills success moving forward, we still need to pay attention to how Brandon Beane does with his other draft picks and how he manipulates the salary cap.  Three years in, it does seem like Beane/Sean McDermott had a great plan to not only turn around the talent on the roster, but change the culture around this organization as a whole.  That is going to be vitally important moving forward, because if Tua happens to work out (certainly not a given at this point), it does appear that Miami is also moving in the right direction.

Jets fans are justified in their excitement about Trevor Lawrence.  But if they can't fix the rest of the organization, I'm skeptical that he alone will be enough for them to bypass us or Miami at the top of the division. 

Yea Houston are a mess the good news for them is it can with the right moves be a quick turnaround. And they have the hardest piece to find.

2 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

If I had to guess, in the AFC, Mahomes, Allen and Herbert end up running the conference for the next decade. I feel like the biggest similarity that Herbert and Allen share is what is inside their head. And that means a lot because they obviously have pretty similar physical traits too.

If he can make a full recovery from his injury then I would add Joe Burrow as well. He was playing well for the Bengals before he got hurt.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Was talking about this yesterday.  

afc is LOADED....and will likely add Lawrence and Field.  

the NFC has Murray.....hurts......DIMES, Haskins, trubisky, 

Figures, once we get a top QB, the ENTIRE AFC is loaded with young guns

• Thank you (+1) 1

This is how tough the AFC is.

If they can just stay healthy (they never can) and add 1 or 2 pieces especially on defense and get some key pieces back, the Chargers are Super Bowl contenders next year.  If Herbert is the real deal.

One of those pieces might be the coach.  

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is cyclical. The NFC has some older QBs. Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, Ryan, Stafford are long entrenched starters that have kept their team out of the QB stakes for a long time. The AFC has had more churn. The best 5 QBs in the NFL this year have been 3 AFC and 2 NFC. Just happens that Rodgers and Wilson are at the older end. 

AFC does look like a bit of a QB gauntlet the next few years. I say good. While obviously I want the Bills to win I also want to see good football. And good football normally requires good Quarterbacking.

Prioritize!!!!  

Bills winning a SB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>seeing good football. 

What year did you become a Bills fan?

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea Houston are a mess the good news for them is it can with the right moves be a quick turnaround. And they have the hardest piece to find.

Daboll en route to Houston!

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Prioritize!!!!  

Bills winning a SB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>seeing good football. 

What year did you become a Bills fan?

Daboll en route to Houston!

Haha that is my priority. But I have just never been one of these fans who has to hate other teams to support my own. 

Bill fan since 2002.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Haha that is my priority. But I have just never been one of these fans who has to hate other teams to support my own. 

Bill fan since 2002.

I don’t hate other teams....I’d just to prefer that all the good young QBs were in the opposite conference.  

literally every good young QB is in the AFC, minus Murray.  The 2 best QBs that aren’t even in the NFL are already in the AFC.  Double sigh