Canceling student loans

shoshin

7 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Right over your head

No, you're just a ***** poster, and you just to see the unintentional humor in what you posted, considering your bloviating about the "infrastructure" bill when it passed. "Expand access to clean drinking water" is right on the propaganda page for it! Surely, with a trillion dollars already earmarked, we can find some for poor ol' Jackson, MS.

2 minutes ago, LeviF said:

No, you're just a ***** poster, and you just to see the unintentional humor in what you posted, considering your bloviating about the "infrastructure" bill when it passed. "Expand access to clean drinking water" is right on the propaganda page for it! Surely, with a trillion dollars already earmarked, we can find some for poor ol' Jackson, MS.

Right over your head 

1 hour ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

That will be a decent tax bill for someone getting 20k in forgiveness. Assuming they are at a 7% tax rate, that’s $1400.  Considering most Americans don’t even have $500 saved for an emergency, that will hurt. 

19 hours ago, BillStime said:

But why do my tax dollars have to go to Mississippi? I’ll never have to drink their water.  Can’t their own residents pay for this?

I pay my taxes and have good drinking water.

Isn’t that the mantra we are supposed to preach per the cult?

I’m not exactly sure where you’re going with this. One of the reasons we are a Union of States is so that weaker states can get assistance from stronger ones. But the intent wouldn’t be that a single State is weak on everything. You cannot pick out a single issue and point to it as an example of every issue. Some states have nearby rivers and ports, while others have rich farmland, etc

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not exactly sure where you’re going with this. One of the reasons we are a Union of States is so that weaker states can get assistance from stronger ones. But the intent wouldn’t be that a single State is weak on everything. You cannot pick out a single issue and point to it as an example of every issue. Some states have nearby rivers and ports, while others have rich farmland, etc

Right over your head 

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Well I’ve never been all that tall. 😉

He thinks that a public service like clean water to bathe in and drink is directly analogous to a loan you signed the promissory note for to pay for something you didn’t need. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LeviF said:

He thinks that a public service like clean water to bathe in and drink is directly analogous to a loan you signed the promissory note for to pay for something you didn’t need. 

So you’re saying that the reason it went over my head is because there’s literally no connection between the two topics whatsoever? That’s what I thought. 😉

36 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So you’re saying that the reason it went over my head is because there’s literally no connection between the two topics whatsoever? That’s what I thought. 😉

Or it's just what is always is: nonsense. 

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Can someone explain to my why someone making $250k a year needs to have their student loan forgiven?  I’m mean a real good reason other than “hey!  The Dems need votes this November!”  

Simple….because in Biden’s version of the world only those making more than $400k are the new deplorables.

I my extended family the only people who had  more than 30k in student loans at any time are now doctors. Of the 40+ cousins almost all have college degrees from state schools and some of us had to do community college for two years. I will state that 95% of people that have 50k of debt made bad decisions that were easily predictable but they want others to pay for their stupidity 

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I my extended family the only people who had  more than 30k in student loans at any time are now doctors. Of the 40+ cousins almost all have college degrees from state schools and some of us had to do community college for two years. I will state that 95% of people that have 50k of debt made bad decisions that were easily predictable but they want others to pay for their stupidity 

95% is a pretty high number. curious to what you mean. i dont know loanwise what everyone i know accumulated but the clear difference between low loan/ predictable outcomes were kids who could live at home with mommy a daddy rent free and those that were maybe older or had family issues so had to juggle a pretty vicious schedule working full time, school full time and taking care of reg everyday buisness some while also taking care of family obligations. 

those are two completely different ballgames and one has nothing predictable about it while requiring more help/loans to get through to the end. 

Edited by Buffarukus

2 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

95% is a pretty high number. curious to what you mean. i dont know loanwise what everyone i know accumulated but the clear difference between low loan/ predictable outcomes were kids who could live at home with mommy a daddy rent free and those that had to juggle a pretty vicious schedule/while working/ some while taking care of family. 

those are two completely different ballgames and one has nothing predictable about it while requiring more help/loans to get through to the end. 

Everyone makes their own decisions in life. You just don’t parachute into a set of circumstances.

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Everyone makes their own decisions in life. You just don’t parachute into a set of circumstances.

how does ones family neglect that may be the key difference on loan total become a decision in any way?

so republicans want people to pull up their bootstraps to get ahead in this country. those that do and could really benefit from a bit of help get the good ol reliable red response..not my problem. you should only touch bootstraps if you are 100% sure i won't be bothered.

that same republican outlook can literally be used for any situation. they pick and choose what sounds good. let me ask. did you support the bill to help troops dealing with health issues from burnpits? why? they choose to enlist. their leaders choose to post them by burn pits. they choose not to be dishonorably discharged when placed in that situation. the military gets hundreds of billions of dollars for weopons? why do my taxes go up now? wasnt my decision. 

see how this works? 

at some point someone has to look out for people who are trying to better their circumstances and not get ruined by working towards getting them and their loved ones out of the system. im for chipping in for those people because it might mean one less that lives off it entirely. exactly what R's and this country should encourage.

i asked this in this thread a few pages earlier and can't seem to find any takers to explain the mindset. i even have agreement with...with..i can't say his name. it cant be true. ill just say his name is our team and a clock. 😬

Edited by Buffarukus

7 hours ago, Buffarukus said:

how does ones family neglect that may be the key difference on loan total become a decision in any way?

so republicans want people to pull up their bootstraps to get ahead in this country. those that do and could really benefit from a bit of help get the good ol reliable red response..not my problem. you should only touch bootstraps if you are 100% sure i won't be bothered.

that same republican outlook can literally be used for any situation. they pick and choose what sounds good. let me ask. did you support the bill to help troops dealing with health issues from burnpits? why? they choose to enlist. their leaders choose to post them by burn pits. they choose not to be dishonorably discharged when placed in that situation. the military gets hundreds of billions of dollars for weopons? why do my taxes go up now? wasnt my decision. 

see how this works? 

at some point someone has to look out for people who are trying to better their circumstances and not get ruined by working towards getting them and their loved ones out of the system. im for chipping in for those people because it might mean one less that lives off it entirely. exactly what R's and this country should encourage.

i asked this in this thread a few pages earlier and can't seem to find any takers to explain the mindset. i even have agreement with...with..i can't say his name. it cant be true. ill just say his name is our team and a clock. 😬

In this country there is one time in life it is better to be poor than rich, or middle class, and that is when applying for student aid. If you are truly poor then the amount of grants available are extensive. If you are poor, a first generation college student, and a good student then your education will be free to many quality schools. If you are simply poor and a decent student there is grants and work programs to get free room and board at community colleges, at least in Florida. 

15 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Maybe but trailer trash don’t typically have much student loan debt. 

No but they are who the Dems are afraid of.  Or more importantly who they are goading into doing something stupid. 

12 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I left college with $5k in student loan debt with an AOS.  I’m now retired early.  College can be a massive waste of money.  

7 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

In this country there is one time in life it is better to be poor than rich, or middle class, and that is when applying for student aid. If you are truly poor then the amount of grants available are extensive. If you are poor, a first generation college student, and a good student then your education will be free to many quality schools. If you are simply poor and a decent student there is grants and work programs to get free room and board at community colleges, at least in Florida. 

thanks for the response. i get that. i think alot of kids use those resources and you will never hear a word about loan forgivness. but life is not straight forward as republican tend to think. if poor kids could just grant their way into a college diploma then i guess we can shut up the Bernie's of the world. who most likely are we speaking of then? rich parents just pay it all of for junior. poor parents get all the things you speak of to help out. so we are most likely talking about people who always get screwed, the ones who make just enough to miss the very low thresholds for grants and such. so prob the working poor who want their kids to have a better life. on top of that we are talking about this help going to those that make less then 125k after college. 

"they shoulda picked a better degree!" maybe. how do you segragate who picked a crap degree and who didnt? if they picked a bad degree then help on a loan doesnt change the fact they have no future and are paying for that decision anyways.

"they should have just gone to trade school!" sure. im in a industrial trade. good pay. not exactly somthing id be banging the drum for my kids to do tho. i already got pretty badly injured. luckily not life changing and can still work and see guys go out with injuries/problems all the time. a job I'm paying a price for health wise down the road so i have to think of a plan for my later years, because this is not a job you want to retire from so its good i went and got a bs degree to coarse correct in the coming years.

"they need to learn responsibility." if they were that irresponsible 10 k is just a bit of help. still alot to go that they cant bankrupt out of or ever get rid of. that lesson is still theirs to deal with just maybe put in a better position to actually pay off, if they default its all on taxpayers anyways. those people will hopefully be passing along their experience to their kids friends ect and the next group will be responsable. prob not. since the gov doesn't seem interested in real reform on either side at this point, word of mouth warnings is all we have.

"inflation!" i agree. but the gov spends on all sorts of things like gender studies in afganistan. as stated people cheer for burnpit health effects, including myself. billions disappear into Ukraine with bipartisan support, they aren't even tracking it. but helping american people with the above criteria is where republicans are drawing a line in the sand. really?? id love to get gov spending under control so we can do more to target helping lower middle working class. neither side is interested in school reform so if money is going out anyways im not going to oppose it going to something for young generation that already has it far worse then most the people who say "i did it so they should to" . when college was 1/75. a house was 1/4. jobs had pensions strong unions and required only a hs education ect ect ect. tell me more how you beat the odds when you were their age 🤔

Edited by Buffarukus

12 hours ago, Buffarukus said:

see how this works? 

In America everyone makes their own way in life. Everyone! You simply deal with the circumstances you find yourself in each and every day. Everyone does. In my now well seasoned life I’ve seen this more times than I can count. Less advantaged kids who achieved all sorts of success. Well off kids who fell flat on their face. The key to life is being happy in whatever circumstance you’re in, and then digging into a serious plan to change your circumstance should you want to. This is still America. Compared to everywhere else that’s ever existed, it makes little difference who your parents are, or where you come from. 

44 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

In America everyone makes their own way in life. Everyone! You simply deal with the circumstances you find yourself in each and every day. Everyone does. In my now well seasoned life I’ve seen this more times than I can count. Less advantaged kids who achieved all sorts of success. Well off kids who fell flat on their face. The key to life is being happy in whatever circumstance you’re in, and then digging into a serious plan to change your circumstance should you want to. This is still America. Compared to everywhere else that’s ever existed, it makes little difference who your parents are, or where you come from. 

so for those that are born into really bad circumstances you have the view of not my problem, work harder to get out of it. if you get crushed by your circumstances that you had no control over. thats life. yet i could 100% look at your life and prob see tons of instances where you took some sort of tax break, subsidie or other gov offering that benefited you and not someone else that has to pays into it. you got kids? do you rally to pay higher school taxes so those without children didn't have to pay for your decision? could go on and on but we are in a society here. we have to pick and choose who should get communal help. kids who try to better themselves im ok with giving a bit of extra help to and so should you. regardless of a 10k 20k discount that doesn't mean kids, regardless of situation, are not going to have to work hard and make good decisions. if they were raised in a destructive home life then they prob already have worked hard ect just to get to the point to be considered for this. they are trying. your suggesting this one time offer is some kind of free ride the kids will just skate by life on. no, that's the welfare system. a system that kids who need this are clearly trying to get away from by getting more education and work opportunities.

Edited by Buffarukus

5 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

so for those that are born into really bad circumstances you have the view of not my problem, work harder to get out of it. if you get crushed by your circumstances that you had no control over. thats life. yet i could 100% look at your life and prob see tons of instances where you took some sort of tax break, subsidie or other gov offering that benefited you and not someone else that has to pays into it. you got kids? do you rally to pay higher school taxes so those without children didn't have to pay for your decision? could go on and on but we are in a society here. we have to pick and choose who should get communal help. kids who try to better themselves im ok with giving a bit of extra help to and so should you. regardless of a 10k 20k discount that doesn't mean kids, regardless of situation are not going to have to work hard and make good decisions. if they were raised in a destructive home life then they already have just to get to the point to be considered for this, they are trying. your suggesting this one time offer is some kind of free ride the kids will just skate by life on. no, that's the welfare system. a system that kids who need this are clearly trying to get away from by getting more education and work opportunities to earn a better living.

I’m not trying to take away your point of view. It’s a valid one. But, with all due respect, get off your high horse. Donate and volunteer all you want. I certainly do!  

28 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not trying to take away your point of view. It’s a valid one. But, with all due respect, get off your high horse. Donate and volunteer all you want. I certainly do!  

sorry i came across like that. not really sure where i think im on a high horse. maybe i suggested you have views you don't but i was generalizing a perspective that i hear. not saying you personally are saying them. maybe i did, i dunno. lol. 

its ranting about politics on a message board so things get out of context and such. im very passionate about giving away all our money to corrupt loan agencies for some reason. 😅 regardless its labor day and almost beer thirty. enjoy.

Edited by Buffarukus

50 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

sorry i came across like that. not really sure where i think im on a high horse. maybe i suggested you have views you don't but i was generalizing a perspective that i hear. not saying you personally are saying them. maybe i did, i dunno. lol. 

its ranting about politics on a message board so things get out of context and such. im very passionate about giving away all our money to corrupt loan agencies for some reason. 😅 regardless its labor day and almost beer thirty. enjoy.

No worries. It’s two sides of the same coin. I tend to be one that focuses on what happened BEFORE people got to their current circumstances and hopes society would emphasize good decision making. Stay married. Support each other. Raise your children! Avoid debt. Stay home until you get your homework done instead of going to that party. It’s amazing how much difference a few simple but not always the easiest of life choices will change anyones present circumstances. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

No worries. It’s two sides of the same coin. I tend to be one that focuses on what happened BEFORE people got to their current circumstances and hopes society would emphasize good decision making. Stay married. Support each other. Raise your children! Avoid debt. Stay home until you get your homework done instead of going to that party. It’s amazing how much difference a few simple but not always the easiest of life choices will change anyones present circumstances. 

yeah that definitely makes a difference. maybe all the difference. but its far easier to see all the pitfalls and mistakes looking back after making some. i certainly made mine as a kid and will make plenty more. there aren't many mistakes quite like the US college loan system though. the only debt that can't use bankruptcy to get out from under while asking CHILDREN with very limited employment exp what do you want to do for the rest of your llife. here is all the money you want, be responsable. its begging for mistakes, drop outs, and kids to switch degrees after they see what it REALLY is involved and starting over. know a few young ladies got into veting cause "they love animals" never thought the job is seeing them in pain all day or puting them out of their misery or cutting a frog in biology is "icky" 😳 if the kid does not have somone like yourself or strong family unit who can warn how important a decision it is whats involved behind the scenes and do major research into things like median income and availability in the area they want to live in they are in trouble. it is so easy to get caught in the trap cause its predatory. the school advisors definitely aren't going to help. they are basically salesmen. 

at the end I'm glad people oppose this but also hope it goes through. this one time payoff is irresponsible to say the least. if rep block it then the problem gets swept back under the rug to inflate the bubble indefinitely. dems love this as its a opportunity to create another voter block to payoff during election cycles. it takes 4 years to grad and presidents have 4 year terms 🤔. that will put alot of pressure on republicans to actually dismantle or reform this system. 

Edited by Buffarukus

5 hours ago, Buffarukus said:

thanks for the response. i get that. i think alot of kids use those resources and you will never hear a word about loan forgivness. but life is not straight forward as republican tend to think. if poor kids could just grant their way into a college diploma then i guess we can shut up the Bernie's of the world. who most likely are we speaking of then? rich parents just pay it all of for junior. poor parents get all the things you speak of to help out. so we are most likely talking about people who always get screwed, the ones who make just enough to miss the very low thresholds for grants and such. so prob the working poor who want their kids to have a better life. on top of that we are talking about this help going to those that make less then 125k after college. 

"they shoulda picked a better degree!" maybe. how do you segragate who picked a crap degree and who didnt? if they picked a bad degree then help on a loan doesnt change the fact they have no future and are paying for that decision anyways.

"they should have just gone to trade school!" sure. im in a industrial trade. good pay. not exactly somthing id be banging the drum for my kids to do tho. i already got pretty badly injured. luckily not life changing and can still work and see guys go out with injuries/problems all the time. a job I'm paying a price for health wise down the road so i have to think of a plan for my later years, because this is not a job you want to retire from so its good i went and got a bs degree to coarse correct in the coming years.

"they need to learn responsibility." if they were that irresponsible 10 k is just a bit of help. still alot to go that they cant bankrupt out of or ever get rid of. that lesson is still theirs to deal with just maybe put in a better position to actually pay off, if they default its all on taxpayers anyways. those people will hopefully be passing along their experience to their kids friends ect and the next group will be responsable. prob not. since the gov doesn't seem interested in real reform on either side at this point, word of mouth warnings is all we have.

"inflation!" i agree. but the gov spends on all sorts of things like gender studies in afganistan. as stated people cheer for burnpit health effects, including myself. billions disappear into Ukraine with bipartisan support, they aren't even tracking it. but helping american people with the above criteria is where republicans are drawing a line in the sand. really?? id love to get gov spending under control so we can do more to target helping lower middle working class. neither side is interested in school reform so if money is going out anyways im not going to oppose it going to something for young generation that already has it far worse then most the people who say "i did it so they should to" . when college was 1/75. a house was 1/4. jobs had pensions strong unions and required only a hs education ect ect ect. tell me more how you beat the odds when you were their age 🤔

You and I are much closer than you realize, and since I work as a high school teacher I am more aware of it probably. My solution for the current kids screwed is the government takes over the loans at 2% interest rate and you allow them to declare bankruptcy from the debt if 2% is still too high. In the future government does not get involved in loans directly and schools are required to give out 30% of their tuition in loans per year per student, which will cause the cost of college to drop appreciably quickly. Currently there is a college in Florida that has offered my son 30k in grants to their school before he has even applied because the 35k price tag is absurd, no one should be even considering that school while actually paying 35k but you can get the loans for 35k a year while going to school there and just use the rest of money for anything you want. I do not believe that someone should be destroyed by a mistake at age 20 but the people with the most student debt I know went to expensive private schools or were in school more than 4 years because they wanted something other than just an education. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You and I are much closer than you realize, and since I work as a high school teacher I am more aware of it probably. My solution for the current kids screwed is the government takes over the loans at 2% interest rate and you allow them to declare bankruptcy from the debt if 2% is still too high. In the future government does not get involved in loans directly and schools are required to give out 30% of their tuition in loans per year per student, which will cause the cost of college to drop appreciably quickly. Currently there is a college in Florida that has offered my son 30k in grants to their school before he has even applied because the 35k price tag is absurd, no one should be even considering that school while actually paying 35k but you can get the loans for 35k a year while going to school there and just use the rest of money for anything you want. I do not believe that someone should be destroyed by a mistake at age 20 but the people with the most student debt I know went to expensive private schools or were in school more than 4 years because they wanted something other than just an education. 

i can't believe its gotten this far. everyone has kids and everyone wants what's best for them so at some point they have been introduced how out of control it all has gotten. its not like a out of sight out of mind thing. if you have a kid you at least looked into it. but we all either roll our eyes and pick up a ton of extra hours to help pay it or tell our kids I'm sorry its out of reach.  do something else because I'm not going to have to watch my kid dig out forever if it doesn't work out. for a certain pay bracket of coarse. thank god you qualify for that grant. but its like medicine. i dont see mass deaths in canada from "bad pills" politicians give a half a$$ed lie on fda standards and "safety" then we all collectively roll our eyes and pay 10× more for the exact same pill as if we don't know they pocket profits off our health.

that should give parents regardless of political bias a common cause to unite. but its like whispers in the wind pull us towards our tribes to bicker at each other and keep the spotlight off them. gov should pay it all off! which fixes absolutely nothing and the other side says college is a waste of money dont go! which negates a real opportunities that their kids could have. instead we all should be screaming fix this bull$#!÷ you corrupt parasites!  your plan alone addresses more then either side has ever done. i think we need a addition where colleges HAVE to show reports of THEIR alumni job statistics and earnings up front. ancient roman gender studies? why are 80% of the graduates janitors? you can't maintain a standard for employment and pay. you cut the program and refund the parents. stop the absolute fake degrees with no use. 

i wrote this above your response but would like to reiterate to anyone just browsing through as i find it very important.

at the end I'm glad people oppose this payout but also hope it goes through. if rep block it then the problem gets swept back under the rug to inflate the bubble indefinitely. dems love this opportunity to create another voter block to payoff during election cycles. it takes 4 years to grad and presidents have 4 year terms 🤔. that alone will put alot of pressure on republicans to actually dismantle or reform this system which would be a win for our kids.

at this point i say no it will fail. dems thought this would give a huge boost for NOV but it isnt going far enough for the far left. it only helps a certain segment and reg people who paid it off or dont have it feel slighted. which is why it was done on such shakey post 911 law to begin with. test the water then pull out after the election saying they tried, if only them darned republicans shaking fist in the air. 

so this thread will sink and prices will just silently keep going up.

Edited by Buffarukus

6 hours ago, Buffarukus said:

if the kid does not have somone like yourself or strong family unit who can warn how important a decision it is whats involved behind the scenes and do major research into things like median income and availability in the area they want to live in they are in trouble. it is so easy to get caught in the trap cause its predatory. the school advisors definitely aren't going to help. they are basically salesmen. 

at the end I'm glad people oppose this but also hope it goes through. this one time payoff is irresponsible to say the least. if rep block it then the problem gets swept back under the rug to inflate the bubble indefinitely. dems love this as its a opportunity to create another voter block to payoff during election cycles. it takes 4 years to grad and presidents have 4 year terms 🤔. that will put alot of pressure on republicans to actually dismantle or reform this system. 

Instead of paying those loans off why can't the government encourage this behavior like they do others?  Tax breaks, gifts like this  loan payoff thing, but to 2 parent families etc.  Would probably be much more cost effective too.

However, I do remember when the Republicans tried to do it in the 80s/90s with the family values thing and got laughed out of the country.

Your last paragraph is what's going on IMHO.  Biden buying votes, nothing more.

Edited by reddogblitz

12 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Instead of paying those loans off why can't the government encourage this behavior like they do others?  Tax breaks, gifts like this  loan payoff thing, but to 2 parent families etc.  Would probably be much more cost effective too.

However, I do remember when the Republicans tried to do it in the 80s/90s with the family values thing and got laughed out of the country.

Your last paragraph is what's going on IMHO.  Biden buying votes, nothing more.

I’ve said it before. Refinance the interest rate or extend the term of the loan but do not forgive it. Nobody learns anything from this dumb political tactic. (Unless you count that we all learn that we too can be pandered to if we play our cards right.)

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ve said it before. Refinance the interest rate or extend the term of the loan but do not forgive it. Nobody learns anything from this dumb political tactic. (Unless you count that we all learn that we too can be pandered to if we play our cards right.)

Or educate people on the forgiveness plans that are already in place.  

Its cool that this program, unlike most of the current spending will actually help out some folks. its tough right now with this crippling inflation and sky high energy prices. 

But like all the other spending. Its more corporate welfare.  Its paying off the banks that underwrite those loans. 

and making the new payback amount 5% of discressionary is only going to make this problem worse in the future

1 hour ago, Chris farley said:

Its cool that this program, unlike most of the current spending will actually help out some folks. its tough right now with this crippling inflation and sky high energy prices. 

But like all the other spending. Its more corporate welfare.  Its paying off the banks that underwrite those loans. 

and making the new payback amount 5% of discressionary is only going to make this problem worse in the future

The government owns these loans not banks.  It's just being piled on to our already massive debt.  Great for inflation that is economic enemy #1 right now.  

42 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

Damn. My bad. my loans were back before the FED directly funded them.  

No worries. It’s kind of part of what I do for a living.  Well more helping people fund college without having to go to the student loan route. 

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 1

Here is the thing that really pisses me off about this forgiveness.  Those that put in place forgiveness plans that were already offered such as Income Based Repayment will have their loan forgiveness taxed whereas these will not be.  And some of these plans?  The tax hit could be huge seeing they only pay based on their income.  Almost all of those don't cover P&I so the balance grows and I've seen some plans where the forgiven/taxable portion could be a few hundred thousand dollars.  Those people just got the ***** shaft. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Here is the thing that really pisses me off about this forgiveness.  Those that put in place forgiveness plans that were already offered such as Income Based Repayment will have their loan forgiveness taxed whereas these will not be.  And some of these plans?  The tax hit could be huge seeing they only pay based on their income.  Almost all of those don't cover P&I so the balance grows and I've seen some plans where the forgiven/taxable portion could be a few hundred thousand dollars.  Those people just got the ***** shaft. 

Some people get ##@!ed.  Some people don't get $#@@ed.  Seems like a waste of time to worry much beyond that.  This is really about the soul of our Nation, so the badly %$#@ed can feel good about their sacrifice because their %$#@ing helped so many others feel good %$#@ed.   

The one thing about working with your children to make smart choices with regard to college, loans, debt and education is that in spite of missing out on the Magical Lucky Charms loan forgiveness program bennies, you have clarity and don't need a dressed up Go Fund Me campaign to improve your position.  

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Agreed.  Since these are government owned loans why can't they lower the interest rate to 1% or heck, even 0%?   Would help a lot of people AND be more cost effective.

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Agreed.  Since these are government owned loans why can't they lower the interest rate to 1% or heck, even 0%?   Would help a lot of people AND be more cost effective.

Exactly! And more importantly the people who took out those loans wouldn’t be taught the horrible life lesson that their government is really Santa Claus in disguise. 

• Like (+1) 1