Jump to content

The Importance of the QB Position


Recommended Posts

I got into a debate last night with some friends via text message. After the GB game someone made a comment that the Packers are wasting Rodgers. I snapped back and said 7-3 is a real waste. They went into a long rant about how the Packers were 1 game away from the Super Bowl and did nothing to address their needs, they specifically singled out the decision to take Jordan Love in the 1st round. 
 

I want to get everyone’s thoughts? The Packers have a shot to be the #1 seed in the NFC this year. My stance is that your goal as a franchise is to win a Super Bowl, you have a better chance at winning a Super Bowl if you’re competitive every year because the playoffs are a crapshoot, in order to win you need an elite QB. The Packers have an elite QB now and felt Love had the potential to stretch their competitive window post Rodgers. 
 

The QB is all that matters IMO. Now if Love doesn’t pan out the point is moot, but if Rodgers fails to win a SB and eventually love takes over and becomes a top tier QB I think it’s undoubtedly worth it because it keeps the Packers competitive. 
 

The Chiefs were a competitive team with Alex Smith, but they decided to trade up for Mahomes AND sit him a season and it paid dividends. The Cardinals knew Rosen wasn’t the guy and made a move for Murray when they had the shot. The likelihood that Love becomes Mahomes is minuscule and Murray is a tough level to reach, but if you think you have a franchise QB you have to take them every time in my opinion. I think Miami needs to do it this year if they have a chance at Lawrence, Fields or Wilson. 
 

Thoughts? 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honestly I think the Packers are being helped by a dreadful division and weak overall NFC this year.

No issue with the Love pick. A QB is always worth it. AJ Dillon in the 2nd and the Cincinnati tight end in the 3rd..... they are the picks you should question.

I'll never give a team grief for drafting a QB high because that's what makes offenses go, but I do agree that the Pack has done a poor job of creating a complete team around Rogers. And I don't mean

Well, your almost there, but It’s not only the QB, and it never has been, without a real team and organization it really makes little difference what QB you have, bad HCs kill good QBs all the time in this league, enter Adam Gase...for instance...

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

They never drafted a pass catcher in the first rd in Aaron Rodgers time in GB.  Dont believe they have traded for 1 either.  Lazard? Valdes Scantlin? Outside of Adams there isnt much.  The run defense was terrible and they didnt really do anything to correct that either.  Having Farve and Rodgers for what 30 years?  And you have 2 championships is a failure on the organization.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Packers knew of their deficiencies at WR and in the DEEPEST class of WR talent the NFL has ever seen (regarded as such) they took not a single one. Can you imagine Claypool in GB right now playing alongside of Adams and Valdez-Scantling with Aaron Rodgers slinging the ball? Or Reagor, or Tee Higgins, or Pittman, or even Gabe Davis. No, they took a QB. I can understand Packers fans' frustration, as well as Rodgers, but he's still out there making the most of what they have. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, H2o said:

The Packers knew of their deficiencies at WR and in the DEEPEST class of WR talent the NFL has ever seen (regarded as such) they took not a single one. Can you imagine Claypool in GB right now playing alongside of Adams and Valdez-Scantling with Aaron Rodgers slinging the ball? Or Reagor, or Tee Higgins, or Pittman, or even Gabe Davis. No, they took a QB. I can understand Packers fans' frustration, as well as Rodgers, but he's still out there making the most of what they have. 

Yeah I don’t think taking the QB is the issue though. 
 

They decided to take a RB in RD2 with Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams on the roster. That was more head scratching to me... there were I believe 7 WR off the board before they traded up to take Love at 26. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I got into a debate last night with some friends via text message. After the GB game someone made a comment that the Packers are wasting Rodgers. I snapped back and said 7-3 is a real waste. They went into a long rant about how the Packers were 1 game away from the Super Bowl and did nothing to address their needs, they specifically singled out the decision to take Jordan Love in the 1st round. 
 

I want to get everyone’s thoughts? The Packers have a shot to be the #1 seed in the NFC this year. My stance is that your goal as a franchise is to win a Super Bowl, you have a better chance at winning a Super Bowl if you’re competitive every year because the playoffs are a crapshoot, in order to win you need an elite QB. The Packers have an elite QB now and felt Love had the potential to stretch their competitive window post Rodgers. 
 

The QB is all that matters IMO. Now if Love doesn’t pan out the point is moot, but if Rodgers fails to win a SB and eventually love takes over and becomes a top tier QB I think it’s undoubtedly worth it because it keeps the Packers competitive. 
 

The Chiefs were a competitive team with Alex Smith, but they decided to trade up for Mahomes AND sit him a season and it paid dividends. The Cardinals knew Rosen wasn’t the guy and made a move for Murray when they had the shot. The likelihood that Love becomes Mahomes is minuscule and Murray is a tough level to reach, but if you think you have a franchise QB you have to take them every time in my opinion. I think Miami needs to do it this year if they have a chance at Lawrence, Fields or Wilson. 
 

Thoughts?

 

Well....some people would say that a really great #2 QB is a very important position.  Since one of those people hoisted a Lombardi trophy with his backup QB playing and went to the Division round the following year with him, it's kind of hard to argue with.

 

On the other hand, the Packers have too many years of not surrounding Rodgers with enough talent.  There's been some truth to the quip they've had grocery baggers and stock clerks playing WR at times.  If I were Aaron Rodgers, I would be like "give me what Mahomes has surrounding him and Prepare for Takeoff"

 

I think Rodgers has a legit point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Yeah I don’t think taking the QB is the issue though. 
 

They decided to take a RB in RD2 with Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams on the roster. That was more head scratching to me... there were I believe 7 WR off the board before they traded up to take Love at 26. 

Who knows what Love will be, if anything at all? But if you are trying to win now, you give Rodgers the best collection of overall weapons you possibly can. They could have had Claypool late in the 1st or at least 5 others after who would have been upgrades to their roster. Even a speedster like Duvernay would have been huge for Rodgers in that offense.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Well....some people would say that a really great #2 QB is a very important position.  Since one of those people hoisted a Lombardi trophy with his backup QB playing and went to the Division round the following year with him, it's kind of hard to argue with.

 

On the other hand, the Packers have too many years of not surrounding Rodgers with enough talent.  There's been some truth to the quip they've had grocery baggers and stock clerks playing WR at times.  If I were Aaron Rodgers, I would be like "give me what Mahomes has surrounding him and Prepare for Takeoff"

 

I think Rodgers has a legit point.

 

 

Watching last night--he's got some legit talent around him....at least on Offense.

 

Aaron Jones only has 113 carries but 4.7 per and 6 rushing TDs to go with 2 receiving.

 

Adams is 8th in yards, 6th in catches and has 10 TDs--only Theilen has more.  

 

M V-S is a speedster with over 500 yards, a whopping 20.7 average and 19 1st downs and 4 TDs on 25 catches.

 

Tonyan is going to be a solid TE.  Caught 86% of his passes, 19 for 1st downs and 6 for TD (Kelce has 7).

 

Packers O is top 3 in scoring.   Not sure how Rodgers is starving right now.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Watching last night--he's got some legit talent around him....at least on Offense.

 

Aaron Jones only has 113 carries but 4.7 per and 6 rushing TDs to go with 2 receiving.

 

Adams is 8th in yards, 6th in catches and has 10 TDs--only Theilen has more.  

 

M V-S is a speedster with over 500 yards, a whopping 20.7 average and 19 1st downs and 4 TDs on 25 catches.

 

Tonyan is going to be a solid TE.  Caught 86% of his passes, 19 for 1st downs and 6 for TD (Kelce has 7).

 

Packers O is top 3 in scoring.   Not sure how Rodgers is starving right now.

 

And yet...Aaron Rodgers is leading the league in drops (22) and drop % (6.5)

He's 2nd in the league in throwaways (14)

 

I think there's a legit point to be made that if the Packers had more than one legit top WR/TE he'd be killing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll never give a team grief for drafting a QB high because that's what makes offenses go, but I do agree that the Pack has done a poor job of creating a complete team around Rogers. And I don't mean giving him more weapons on offense; his ability to throw guys open and makes plays on the run covers a lot of warts on that side of the ball. 

I think it's tragic that GB has made such a cursory effort to build a good unit on the other side of the ball. You give a guy like that a defense who regularly gets to play with a lead and they become really difficult to beat in any kind of game you want to play. If the Pack had a solid defense, everybody would be walking around with a handful of rings right now.

And as  a side note, the years they wasted with that gutless putz McCarthy are as big a problem as anything they failed to do with their roster.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

And yet...Aaron Rodgers is leading the league in drops (22) and drop % (6.5)

He's 2nd in the league in throwaways (14)

 

I think there's a legit point to be made that if the Packers had more than one legit top WR/TE he'd be killing it.

 

Oline... defense?  like even if it wasn't someone to help rodgers.  What about making the team better?  

  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

And yet...Aaron Rodgers is leading the league in drops (22) and drop % (6.5)

He's 2nd in the league in throwaways (14)

 

I think there's a legit point to be made that if the Packers had more than one legit top WR/TE he'd be killing it.

 
Hes’s 4th in passing yards (only 120 yards behind Mahomes).  His Offense is the 3rd most powerful scoring machine in the NFL right now.   
 

He’s killing it...

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

 Hes’s 4th in passing yards (only 120 yards behind Mahomes).  His Offense is the 3rd most powerful scoring machine in the NFL right now.   
He’s killing it...

 

Why did Green Bay lose last night?  Didn't they have a series of critical drops and fumbles?

If you want to win a championship, that's not good enough.

 

To win a championship, 3rd or 4th may not be good enough

 

9 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Agree - it was a great year for WRs too.  

 

Even draft one in the 2nd round or whenever.  And Simon's point about improving defense is also germaine. 

Most of the last 10 years in Green Bay, their D has been in the bottom of the league.  That doesn't win championships.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why did Green Bay lose last night?  Didn't they have a series of critical drops and fumbles?

Yeah, the multiple fumbles were huge.

But giving up 34 points to a guy who can't throw the ball 25 yards, yet who managed to stay on the field for 35+ minutes and limited Roger's opportunities is huge too.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Why did Green Bay lose last night?  Didn't they have a series of critical drops and fumbles?

If you want to win a championship, that's not good enough.

 

To win a championship, 3rd or 4th may not be good enough

 

 

Even draft one in the 2nd round or whenever.  And Simon's point about improving defense is also germaine. 

Most of the last 10 years in Green Bay, their D has been in the bottom of the league.  That doesn't win championships.

 

 

Again, they are scoring 1.3 points per game (30.8) fewer than KC, despite drops and fumbles.  M V-S fumble in OT was crucial.  It happens.

 

Their D let them down.  As Frank Reich's Offense was serially shooting themselves in the foot and trying to blow this game late with 9 holding penalties, the Packers D let them stay in it to win it.

 

 

Telling a team that scores 31 points and more than 28 other teams that they aren't scoring enough is a tough sell.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...