Every New England Run Play

Jauronimo

1 minute ago, High Football IQ said:

Same thing that most teams have done because there is never any adjustments to stop it.

Eagles did this last year as did the Chiefs a few weeks ago.

This is why I'm also skeptical that if we pull of a trade today for a run stuffer DT it won't change much in the grand scheme of things especially since it will be a guy that gets at most 35-40% of the snaps each week.

most team?  you mentioned 2...one from last season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I mean Murphy literally just falls down in the first one🤦‍♂️

Just now, thebandit27 said:

So if I see one more person suggest that Edmunds is either unwilling or unable to take on an OLmen and shed, am I now free to slam my head into a wall out of frustration?

Let stupid dogs lie

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

The Eagle flat out dominated us, last year, as did Baltimore. The final score in both games, was not indicitive of the ass beating that we endured.

What game were you watching against Baltimore?  The Bills held the Ravens to 257 yards and 24 points when they were rolling up 450-500 yards and 40 points against everyone else on a weekly basis. They held them to 118 yards rushing, one of their lowest rushing totals of the season and one of their lowest YPC of the year, at 3.6 YPC.  

We lost 24-17 to Baltimore and defensively dominated them for much of the game. In fact, we created the blueprint Tennessee used to win in the playoffs against them.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

The Pats ran right all day and gained yards at will, often repeating the same plays.  Weakside counter was a killer.

any other year, perhaps any other team and that failed reach block by the outside receiver 80 is an obvious hold. Happened outside, in space, with a clear unobstructed view for the refs. 

Those are usually the holds in years past that were called - particularly against TE's every time you had a outside sweep play that went for a good chunk of yards. The reach block is hard to execute as the blocker cannot line up with too much outside leverage as that would both give the play away and the defender would likely adjust position wider to mirror making turning the edge more difficult. As soon as the ball is snapped that edge blocker has to get outside position leverage because if he is inside his only option is dragging on the defenders arms and jersey to keep him from sealing the edge which for as long as I have watched the game was a hold for the Bills (see Lee Smith past holds for some examples).

The Bills could explore this officiating change of heart and see if they get the same leeway - but I sincerely doubt it.

NE was doing some neat things with that RPO toss/crack play that Chris Simms eluded to in the 2nd half where two receivers lined up on one side and one down blocks the slot defender and pulling blockers open a gap for the run either by the second WR, or that WR (Burkhead) would lead block for Cam. With the way we were crashing and attacking the inside gaps to stuff the run, it was really effective at attacking the edges of our defense.

I think the Bills did run a similar play a few games ago with our receiver coming in to block the slot defender and he decleated the guy so badly that I think it drew a flag. That is a common thing with that play as your slot defender db/safety/big nickel is usually focused on the ball carrier and does not see the block coming from the side. Used to be worse when that block was often thrown low (illegal crack back).

Either way, a play that the Bills should explore more with the way teams try to play our run to force them to commit to defending the edges too. Allen could easily execute these, but I would want him to keep both hands on the ball, or he would pull a Newton and cough it up in traffic or getting tackled.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, High Football IQ said:

Same thing that most teams have done because there is never any adjustments to stop it.

Eagles did this last year as did the Chiefs a few weeks ago.

This is why I'm also skeptical that if we pull of a trade today for a run stuffer DT it won't change much in the grand scheme of things especially since it will be a guy that gets at most 35-40% of the snaps each week.

Plus Jefferson, Zimmer and Ed are all playing above average ball right now.  I'd rather see them make a move at LB, it's our achilles heel and it's likely Milano and Edmunds will be on and off hurt all season.   We rolled the dice that our 2 LB's would be healthy for the past two drafts and we are paying for it now.

Darron Lee may be able to contribute, but he's not a thumper.  His game is similar to Tremaine, speed and range but not a good run defender.  Lorax?  Vosean?  I'm sure the Bills whiteboard has a lot of names on it, if I were Beane I'd desperately be making offers to trade picks, we are in the playoffs this year.

13 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

...and we were held to 209 yards. Allen threw for 146 yards, and was sacked six times. Allen had 9 rushing yards. On 3rd. down, we were 4 for 17, and that isn't getting it done. We lost the TOP battle @ 27:11.  The refs gave us a call against the Ravens @ the end of the game, and we still couldn't close the deal....

In no way was that domination by Baltimore. It was a close game that could have gone our way had we made a play or two. 

Domination was what they were doing to other teams up until that game.

Domination was when we played the 49ers in 2012 and they rolled up 300 yards passing and 300 yards rushing on us and won 45-3.

I guess our definitions of domination must be vastly different.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Jobot said:

The blueprint to beat the Bills is run the ball and force Josh Allen to play a perfect game. It's a very good game plan if you don't make mistakes (Newton fumble)

Josh Allen's game was far from perfect...the INT on a miscommunication between him and Diggs...the dropped pass to Davis in the EZ...a few more I can't think of right now, some missed opportunities.

And yet, we won.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

The Pats ran right all day and gained yards at will, often repeating the same plays.  Weakside counter was a killer.

YPP viewpoint to me seems to be that we had a pretty good run D in the first half, which wore down as the game went on.

That would match up with the Pats the first half stats:

2 first downs by rushing

0 for 4 on 3rd down

44 yds rushing on 15 attempts for 2.9 YPA

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

Dude was 100% on his fits in those three clips.

Indeed.   Perhaps he needs to get lower though when he meets the linemen in the hole so he at least clogs the lane more.  He does get pushed back a bit too much.   Feels like a technique issue a bit

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

That’s the old Lotulelei role- accept the double and win when the second man releases

maybe he’s getting healthy🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

See that second run there.  Edmunds needs to not take on the lineman standing up.  Get down low and even falling sometimes clogs the hole rather than getting pushed backwards because you are standing too upright when engaged.