NFL illegal block rule

Simon

5 hours ago, Simon said:

you could say he's moving when he lunges forward with his shoulder

its a penalty now and will get called every time

This was an unfortunate and nit picky call.  On this play the Dolphin player ran into the Bills player.  What should he do, jump out of the way?  

This was a case for league replay to overturn terrible calls.  There was intent to injure.  

16 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It was just called on TJ Lockett a couple of minutes ago. Pretty close to the Same play.

Not a mistake. They are calling it, and the rule is clear regardless of whether we like it. Just called it on Lockett. Players have to know the rules.

So should fans😂😂

14 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It was just called on TJ Lockett a couple of minutes ago. Pretty close to the Same play.

Not a mistake. They are calling it, and the rule is clear regardless of whether we like it. Just called it on Lockett. Players have to know the rules.

Yeah it was the same play except it wasnt.

Lookit, what happened is crystal clear.  The Dolphins defender was focused on the ball carrier and didnt see McKenzie, who was directly facing him.

So he was surprised when McKenzies shoulder knocked him sideways.

It was a bad call, simple as that.  Refs make mistakes.  This particular official should watch this play 100 times, then go onto a field and have the play re-enacted for him with live players, understand the angle, and understand why he was wrong, so he doesnt make the same mistake again.

I have no idea why you're trying to defend the call.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Yeah it was the same play except it wasnt.

Lookit, what happened is crystal clear.  The Dolphins defender was focused on the ball carrier and didnt see McKenzie, who was directly facing him.

So he was surprised when McKenzies shoulder knocked him sideways.

It was a bad call, simple as that.  Refs make mistakes.  This particular official should watch this play 100 times, then go onto a field and have the play re-enacted for him with live players, understand the angle, and understand why he was wrong, so he doesnt make the same mistake again.

I have no idea why you're trying to defend the call.

You can’t use your shoulder on an aggressive blindside block, which is what mckenzie did. Full stop. It is what it is, even though I don’t like it. Just do a screening block in the future. It will have the same effect.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

You can’t use your shoulder on an aggressive blindside block, which is what mckenzie did. Full stop. It is what it is, even though I don’t like it. Just do a screening block in the future. It will have the same effect.

A blindside block has to be parallel to the LOS or toward your endzone. McKenzie was facing the opponent’s end zone. It cannot be a blindside block.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Youre incorrect.

It wasnt a blind side block.

the players were face to face. They literally hit R anterior shoulder to R anterior shoulder.  With each player facing the opponent s goaline.

Its not MacKenzies fault that the defender was unaware. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

That's true, but he was moving toward the opposing goalline.  

He was until he came to a dead stop and then used his shoulder to lunge into the defender parallel to the LOS. That was the point where it became a penalty.

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

Similar to the Ford block in the playoff game where the defender simply was not looking at all in the direction he was running as he was tracking Allen and all Ford did was brace himself a bit to ensure he was not the player that was going to fly back in the wrong direction.

Yeah I thought the Ford call was horsespit as Ford did not initiate any forcible contact regardless of angle.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Simon said:

He was until he came to a dead stop and then lunged into the defender with his shoulder parallel to the LOS. That was the point where it became a penalty.

I don't believe it was parallel but neither of us are going to get a camera angle that shows whether it was parallel or not.  It was close and it was a hard hit on a play that looked illegal.  It's going to be called every time.  It's the same as the defenseless receiver thing.  You just can't hit a player in the middle of the field. It's going to be called every time whether or not the player gets hit in the head or the chest or anywhere. It doesn't matter.  If it's a hard hit the flag is coming.  As an old guy I'd love to be able to transport Jim and Andre from 1987 to the modern day. Jim would never get hit late or low and he could have played until he was 45 rather than 35. Andre would be able to run across the middle with even more abandon than he already did.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MPT said:

He might have gotten the wind knocked out of him, but there was no risk of injury there. 

Before, you were just wrong about a call that they have been making consistently for two years. 

Suggesting there is no risk of injury in that scenario has taken you into a stratosphere about which I will reserve comment. Permanently.

Enjoy the season.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Simon said:

"a player initiates a block in which he is moving toward or parallel to his own end line and makes forcible contact to his opponent with his helmet, forearm, or shoulder"

They've been calling it for a couple years to minimize concussions and whether we like or not that was a penalty on McKenzie

Does this mean players are no longer allowed to block guys running from across the field? Seems like a weird rule, if so, as guys are always running towards the sidelines...

4 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Does this mean players are no longer allowed to block guys running from across the field? Seems like a weird rule, if so, as guys are always running towards the sidelines...

The key is you cant "initiate" "forcible" contact with your shoulder, forearm, helmet, etc. 

You can get in his way, you can ride him, you can redirect him you can go down in a tangle of legs with him, but if you pop a guy coming across the field you are going to get flagged.

The reason the rule now exists is that it's a treacherous area as far as taking concussions (whether its the actual contact, hitting the turf or even the whiplash) 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Simon said:

Before, you were just wrong about a call that they have been making consistently for two years. 

Suggesting there is no risk of injury in that scenario has taken you into a stratosphere about which I will reserve comment. Permanently.

Enjoy the season.

Okay technically there is always a risk of injury on any football play. However, this was not as dangerous of a play as you make it out to be. If you would watch the replay you would know that. You would also know that he was facing the opponent's end zone when it happened. Weird hill to die on, man. 

Until the NFL allows coaches to challenge bad penalties, the refs will continue to just guess at calls. The call on Mckenzie looked like a blindside block at full speed. I was actually surprised when I didnt see a penalty called right away.  It would have been better if Mckenzie just stood his ground and slowed the Fins player down. In any case these players have to get up to speed on these rule changes. The same call against the Bills in the playoff game vs Houston was absolutely killer.

1 hour ago, dubs said:

It’s a crappy rule, and this does NOT violate the crappy rule. Double suck! He’s facing the end zone he is trying to get to. He’s just playing football. 

Maybe there should be a rule against defensive player running towards their own end zone? Only way to prevent that! Oh! Wait! That’s completely idiotic too! 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1