Do you have a TV in your bedroom?

RaoulDuke79

TV in the Bedroom   

84 members have voted

1. 1. TV in the Bedroom

After years of not having one, I do now.

I was working at a local hotel as a concierge when someone walked up and said "hey, do you want a free, brand new SmartTV?". I was like..."uh...well...yeah, of course!".

Turns out he needed a TV for a multimedia presentation he was leading at my hotel. It was cheaper to buy a new TV and have it shipped to the hotel and just use it once and abandon it than to rent a TV from our audio/visual department for the day. Yeah. Hotel A/V rental costs are expensive. So after ONE day of use, it was mine!

I put a tapestry over it when not in use. I don't use it a ton. It's nice to have a second TV in the house. This way, if I'm monopolizing the TV with football, the wife can have an alternate TV option. I also often suggest that we go watch TV in bed, which is really just an excuse/opportunity to parlay that into...other things.

Edited by Logic
  • Haha (+1) 1

oh yeah.  i'm at the point where i'd like to upgrade it.  

we go to be so early now that we just throw a show on and watch together.  on the weekends the kids hop in to watch shows and we get a few extra minutes of sleep.  i don't love the pure quiet, so i have tv or music on most of the time.  for now, there are tvs in the family room, office, bedroom and kitchen. i'm an inch away from putting one in the bathroom so i can watch the news when i get ready.  

10 minutes ago, teef said:

oh yeah.  i'm at the point where i'd like to upgrade it.  

we go to be so early now that we just throw a show on and watch together.  on the weekends the kids hop in to watch shows and we get a few extra minutes of sleep.  i don't love the pure quiet, so i have tv or music on most of the time.  for now, there are tvs in the family room, office, bedroom and kitchen. i'm an inch away from putting one in the bathroom so i can watch the news when i get ready.  

You need help.   But we already knew that!

Doctors will tell you it's a terrible idea to have a TV in your bedroom, if you have trouble sleeping.

You want to get in the habit of actually sleeping when you are in the bedroom, not hanging out in there doing other things. 

If you have no trouble sleeping, I don't think it really matters.

Always. 

If no TV where I'm staying I use my computer or tablet instead. 

I typically set the timer for it to shut off about an hour after I get to bed. It is very hard for me to fall asleep without it.

I typically watch something funny I've seen many times before, so it's really white noise, but a chuckle or two as I get to sleep. Lately I usually fall asleep to Archer, Robot Chicken or South Park. 

10 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Always. 

If no TV where I'm staying I use my computer or tablet instead. 

I typically set the timer for it to shut off about an hour after I get to bed. It is very hard for me to fall asleep without it.

I typically watch something funny I've seen many times before, so it's really white noise, but a chuckle or two as I get to sleep. Lately I usually fall asleep to Archer, Robot Chicken or South Park. 

Do you have perfect vision, or wear glasses?  I wear contacts 99.9% of the time I’m awake. I personally like saving the bedroom for sleepy time,  and if I can’t see the TV anyway, why clutter things up? I can’t fall asleep in glasses and expect it to end well. Glasses are expensive! 

Our bedroom is strangely large (a lot of wasted space better used elsewhere, but I’m stuck), and if it’s not at the foot of my bed, it would be too far away to see. Actually, with my lousy vision, the foot of the bed is probably a pipe dream. No point in a TV for me. 

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Do you have perfect vision, or wear glasses?  I wear contacts 99.9% of the time I’m awake. I personally like saving the bedroom for sleepy time,  and if I can’t see the TV anyway, why clutter things up? I can’t fall asleep in glasses and expect it to end well. Glasses are expensive! 

Our bedroom is strangely large (a lot of wasted space better used elsewhere, but I’m stuck), and if it’s not at the foot of my bed, it would be too far away to see. Actually, with my lousy vision, the foot of the bed is probably a pipe dream. No point in a TV for me. 

While I do not have perfect vision (I'm a bit near sighted) it's no problem for me to see the 40" TV on my dresser. I've actually had 40+" TVs inches from my bed, at times. But the truth is, if I'm ready to go to sleep, I'm not watching it, just on for the sound mostly---and the glow a bit, I guess.

I used to have occasional insomnia but have learned to deal with it pretty well. I try not to get into bed until I'm ready to go to sleep. If I lay in bed and I'm not asleep in 15 minutes or so, I get up. But now that I make medical marijuana edibles, I typically get to sleep, and stay asleep, fairly easily. Though I am getting to bed (and getting up) later and later.

So it's 11:15 now and I haven't even started to "get ready" to go to  bed. Chances are, i won't get to sleep before 2am. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Dean said:

While I do not have perfect vision (I'm a bit near sighted) it's no problem for me to see the 40" TV on my dresser. I've actually had 40+" TVs inches from my bed, at times. But the truth is, if I'm ready to go to sleep, I'm not watching it, just on for the sound mostly---and the glow a bit, I guess.

I used to have occasional insomnia but have learned to deal with it pretty well. I try not to get into bed until I'm ready to go to sleep. If I lay in bed and I'm not asleep in 15 minutes or so, I get up. But now that I make medical marijuana edibles, I typically get to sleep, and stay asleep, fairly easily. Though I am getting to bed (and getting up) later and later.

So it's 11:15 now and I haven't even started to "get ready" to go to  bed. Chances are, i won't get to sleep before 2am. 

I have to wear a CPAP to prevent snoring. My wife still works (and pays the bills!), while I’m retired. I hate the CPAP. She goes to bed early, and gets up super early. I go to bed late, so I only need 4-5 hours on the CPAP to avoid waking her. 

We have a white noise machine which is an essential part of our lives! I’m lucky as when I go up, it’s usually straight to sleep these days. 

29 minutes ago, Augie said:

I have to wear a CPAP to prevent snoring. My wife still works (and pays the bills!), while I’m retired. I hate the CPAP. She goes to bed early, and gets up super early. I go to bed late, so I only need 4-5 hours on the CPAP to avoid waking her. 

We have a white noise machine which is an essential part of our lives! I’m lucky as when I go up, it’s usually straight to sleep these days. 

I use a CPAP as well. 

A couple drinks, a toke or two and a medical marijuana edible (homemade cookie, brownie, whatever) is what helps me get to, and stay, asleep. Just had my herbal tea and now going to have one last drink and a cookie!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, The Dean said:

I use a CPAP as well. 

A couple drinks, a toke or two and a medical marijuana edible (homemade cookie, brownie, whatever) is what helps me get to, and stay, asleep. Just had my herbal tea and now going to have one last drink and a cookie!!

maybe just sleep under a quieter bridge? 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Doctors will tell you it's a terrible idea to have a TV in your bedroom, if you have trouble sleeping.

You want to get in the habit of actually sleeping when you are in the bedroom, not hanging out in there doing other things. 

If you have no trouble sleeping, I don't think it really matters.

Oftentimes, the television is the reason for the trouble sleeping. But people think they know themselves better.

• Like (+1) 1